Amazon Prime Video app for Apple TV beta testing by employees underway, release date still...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    Amazon should just release it as a Beta app and update as it needs to from customer feedback.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I hardly ever watch anything on Amazon Prime. You do know that you can watch it on a AppleTV 3 or newer NOW!!!   You run the app on your iPhone or iPad and then you can Airplay to your AppleTV.  It’s not a huge deal.

SpamSandwich
  • Reply 23 of 46
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    eightzero said:
    At the risk of repeating myself, I would instantly buy an ATV that contained an OTA tuner (or 2 or 3) and a coax jack for an antenna. This is possible with a HDHomeRun device, but these come at a cost that is still beyond my interest. Apple is very unlikely to do this because there really is no business case for it. Other than the basic hardware, they can't monetize it in any way. 

And now that I think about it, this still doesn't get me past the convenience I now find with the TCL 4k smart roku set I have now. What that device needs is an in channel guide for OTA like the "channels" app you can run with the silicon dust HDHomeRun device. But it get me closer to being interested in ATV again.

If ATV could then put its OTA signal out on the LAN like HDHomeRun, so users could stream to their laptops, phones, and iPads...maybe we're on to something. But that is now available on the Mohu Airwave. For $150. And nothing else.

Or maybe Apple can update the Airports to handle some of this?

Choices are good. Apple is rather behind on this.

I think you can already watch TV with a app using a HDHonerun.   You’re going back to the dark ages before DVR’s doing that.  No thanks. Instead I can watch live or recorded TV using a HDHomerun now on my AppleTV using PLEX,  which the server is running on my NAS along with other software.   You can do it with EMBY which I also have installed and running and been testing.  Apple is not going to be installing a hard drive into their streaming device these days, and watching programs in the day and time it airs is laughable.  No thanks!!!

• Reply 24 of 46
    jbdragon said:
    I hardly ever watch anything on Amazon Prime. You do know that you can watch it on a AppleTV 3 or newer NOW!!!   You run the app on your iPhone or iPad and then you can Airplay to your AppleTV.  It’s not a huge deal.

More often than not, when I see something that requires I do that, I decide, "nah. skippit." YMMV, but literally, much of this stuff is even beyond my caring to push a few buttons. Maybe that is because what is on Amazon, or that I just am not interested in that kind of "entertainment." 

On some streaming channel, I got a Hulu ad for "live streaming sports." It finally has arrived. EPSN should be very worried. But the Hulu version is like $40/mo. Choices are good, and we didn't have these options until recently. But $40/mo is even beyond my price point. For now.

Yes, I freely admit I don't consume much content that many others are willing to pay for, so I'm not the target audience for this thread. I respect others choices in the matter.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    eightzero said:
    At the risk of repeating myself, I would instantly buy an ATV that contained an OTA tuner (or 2 or 3) and a coax jack for an antenna. This is possible with a HDHomeRun device, but these come at a cost that is still beyond my interest. Apple is very unlikely to do this because there really is no business case for it. Other than the basic hardware, they can't monetize it in any way. 

And now that I think about it, this still doesn't get me past the convenience I now find with the TCL 4k smart roku set I have now. What that device needs is an in channel guide for OTA like the "channels" app you can run with the silicon dust HDHomeRun device. But it get me closer to being interested in ATV again.

If ATV could then put its OTA signal out on the LAN like HDHomeRun, so users could stream to their laptops, phones, and iPads...maybe we're on to something. But that is now available on the Mohu Airwave. For $150. And nothing else.

Or maybe Apple can update the Airports to handle some of this?

Choices are good. Apple is rather behind on this.

I like that idea. Then you could have a Siri accessible schedule.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    I'm sorry, but this is just irresponsible journalism (if you want to call it that).

After last month's tornadic-like stories all over the web about a supposed 'Amazon Video Engineer' on Reddit swearing the Amazon Prime Video app for Apple TV was coming October 26th, here we go AGAIN with more unsubstaintiated rumors from unconfirmed Amazon employees.

"reports are circulating"

"Two Reddit users declared"

These aren't facts! These are from a rumor! It's beyond me how crap like this is considered even worth reporting. Some provides a photo of a Amazon Prime TV app logo and that makes it worth reporting!? Come on!

Have substantial facts to back up the report or don't spread rumors.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    zroger73 said:
    I waited long enough for the Amazon Prime Video app to become available on my three Apple TV devices.

Last week, I sinned against Apple and bought a couple of Amazon Fire TV sticks for $25 each. I was so impressed that I've started listening to my music and watching Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon on the Fire TV sticks instead of the Apple TV.
    Do you or any one else control the Fire TV via voice through the Echo/Alexa.    I would love to be able to just tell the TV to change channel without having to find where I put the remote.

Amazon definitely pushing hard into the home market via Fire, Echo, and other Alexa devices like Sonos One.  Apple seems to release a product then forgets about it for a few years.
    libertyforall
  • Reply 28 of 46
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    dd146 said:
    I'm sorry, but this is just irresponsible journalism (if you want to call it that).

After last month's tornadic-like stories all over the web about a supposed 'Amazon Video Engineer' on Reddit swearing the Amazon Prime Video app for Apple TV was coming October 26th, here we go AGAIN with more unsubstaintiated rumors from unconfirmed Amazon employees.

These aren't facts! These are from a rumor! It's beyond me how crap like this is considered even worth reporting. Some provides a photo of a Amazon Prime TV app logo and that makes it worth reporting!? Come on!

You didn't read the article, did you.

From the article: "AppleInsider has confirmed the beta program is ongoing, and has been so since July in one form or another. However, as of late, there have been few substantive changes to the app."
    edited November 2017 Soli
  • Reply 29 of 46
    dd146 said:

From the article: "AppleInsider has confirmed the beta program is ongoing, and has been so since July in one form or another. However, as of late, there have been few substantive changes to the app."
    I read it very clearly. Your confirmation of a beta program doesn't justify two Reddit posts of a screenshot that obviously can be touched up. Those rumors together with your "confirmation" doesn't make these them together a story.

• Reply 30 of 46
    dd146 said:
    dd146 said:

I read it very clearly. Your confirmation of a beta program doesn't justify two Reddit posts of a screenshot that obviously can be touched up. Those rumors together with your "confirmation" doesn't make these them together a story.

You are incorrect in your assumption.

Feel free to skip Amazon Prime Video stories in the future.
    Soli
  • Reply 31 of 46
    dd146 said:
    dd146 said:

BTW...Your two 'declarations' have now gone MIA on Reddit. Sort of messes up your premise. 
  • Reply 32 of 46
    dd146 said:
    dd146 said:
    dd146 said:

BTW...Your two 'declarations' have now gone MIA on Reddit. Sort of messes up your premise. 
    The process:

Step 1: Hear reports - original Reddit reports
    Step 2: Assess if reports need further examination - They did
    Step 3: Fact check with established sources, some cultivated for over a decade - We did
    Step 4: Report results 1-3 - We did

The Football-related launch rumor for Prime Video on the Apple TV didn't pass step 3, so we didn't write about it. In fact, when we've talked about it since, we've called it unconfirmed.

And yes, we got your email. 

Done here. Do not persist.
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 33 of 46

The day Amazon releases the Prime Video app for Apple TV is the day I get a Prime Subscription. Until then, no matter how much Amazon pimps it, I'm not taking the bait.

The Prime ads are everywhere!

libertyforall
  • Reply 34 of 46
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

The day Amazon releases the Prime Video app for Apple TV is the day I get a Prime Subscription. Until then, no matter how much Amazon pimps it, I'm not taking the bait.

Do you not buy items from Amazon?
  • Reply 35 of 46
    dd146 said:

In case you missed it, this is a news and rumours site.

If you want "just the facts" you'll have to decide which stories to read and which not to.

The headline was clear enough to indicate that this is not an official confirmation.

• Reply 36 of 46
    dd146 said:
    dd146 said:
    dd146 said:

The process:

Step 3: Fact check with established sources, some cultivated for over a decade - We did

The Football-related launch rumor for Prime Video on the Apple TV didn't pass step 3, so we didn't write about it. In fact, when we've talked about it since, we've called it unconfirmed.

From the Reddit member who posted the screen image you used in your story...

[–]
    nite_ 3 points 14 hours ago 
    Yeah, I’m not exactly sure why they thought this was new news. I posted that old screenshot because I wanted to confirm with that other user that they were in fact in beta. I never admitted to being an Amazon employee or saying that image was mine. I was (of course) never contacted by these people for any type of statement so I’m not sure why they called me an employee. 

BOOM!
  • Reply 37 of 46
    dd146 said:
    dd146 said:
    dd146 said:
    dd146 said:

The process:

From the Reddit member who posted the screen image you used in your story...

[–]
    nite_ 3 points 14 hours ago 
    Yeah, I’m not exactly sure why they thought this was new news. I posted that old screenshot because I wanted to confirm with that other user that they were in fact in beta. I never admitted to being an Amazon employee or saying that image was mine. I was (of course) never contacted by these people for any type of statement so I’m not sure why they called me an employee. 

BOOM!
    See also step 3, the fact-checking part from other sources. Reddit is a good source for step 1- not for step 3.

And, I'm not sure what your beef really is, here. We're not claiming any release date -- In fact, the opposite. The software has been in beta for a very long time, and we said that. We also said that there haven't been many changes in a while.

Final warning -- do not persist.
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 38 of 46
    eightzero said:
    jbdragon said:

More often than not, when I see something that requires I do that, I decide, "nah. skippit." YMMV, but literally, much of this stuff is even beyond my caring to push a few buttons. Maybe that is because what is on Amazon, or that I just am not interested in that kind of "entertainment." 

On some streaming channel, I got a Hulu ad for "live streaming sports." It finally has arrived. EPSN should be very worried. But the Hulu version is like $40/mo. Choices are good, and we didn't have these options until recently. But $40/mo is even beyond my price point. For now.

Yes, I freely admit I don't consume much content that many others are willing to pay for, so I'm not the target audience for this thread. I respect others choices in the matter.
    I noticed that Amazon Prime is now live-streaming NFL games for free as part of their Prime Video (not that I’m watching any of those games, because screw the NFL).
  • Reply 39 of 46
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

I became a Prime member for the shipping. It's paid for itself many times over. That's why I'm holding Apple to a higher standard than Amazon over their promise the app would be available "later this year". I won't be cancelling my Prime membership if the app doesn't come to the Apple TV as promised -- however, I would have never bought the ATV 4K on launch day back in September, if I knew the Amazon App would have still not been available by December 1! (Don't get me started on the manual picture format switching I've had to endure, or the lack of Dolby Digital, or my 4K HDR movies randomly reverting to HD on iTunes, etc.) And if the app doesn't arrive by January 1, I'm taking the ATV 4K back to Apple for a full refund, and they're going to have to give it to me.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    mac_128 said:

I became a Prime member for the shipping. It's paid for itself many times over. That's why I'm holding Apple to a higher standard than Amazon over their promise the app would be available "later this year". I won't be cancelling my Prime membership if the app doesn't come to the Apple TV as promised -- however, I would have never bought the ATV 4K on launch day back in September, if I knew the Amazon App would have still not been available by December 1! (Don't get me started on the manual picture format switching I've had to endure, or the lack of Dolby Digital, or my 4K HDR movies randomly reverting to HD on iTunes, etc.) And if the app doesn't arrive by January 1, I'm taking the ATV 4K back to Apple for a full refund, and they're going to have to give it to me.
    You're going to be outside the 14-day return period. How is that going to work? I'm not certain you're going to get a lot of traction because a third-party app vendor hasn't delivered a promised app for the device.

Dolby Digital is supported (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204069) -- Atmos is not. Is that what you're talking about?

Oh, and the format switching dependent on content resolution? Automatic in tvOS 11.2
    edited December 2017