Apple rumored to be using Arizona proving grounds to test self-driving cars

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Apple may be leasing former Fiat Chrysler proving grounds in Surprise, Ariz. to test its self-driving car platform in a range of different conditions, according to a report.

A Google Earth view of the complex.
A Google Earth view of the complex.

The company has been recruiting test engineers and technicians from various other proving grounds in the state, and indiciated that its goal is testing self-driving systems, Jalopnik said on Tuesday, citing a source "familiar with the matter."

The Chrysler grounds were sold to a housing developer in 2005, and later annexed by the City of Surprise, but went untouched for years. In Sept. 2016 the city signed a development agreement with the site's owner, SFI Grand Vista LLC, which said it intended to lease the grounds to a firm called Route 14 Investment Partners LLC.

Route 14 was given the green light for "all prior and current experimental and proving ground uses," Jalopnik noted, and turns out to have been incorporated in Delaware in 2015, registered under the Corporation Trust Company. Apple has a dropbox at the CTC's main office.

The grounds are said to provide a variety of driving conditions, such as a speed oval and different grades and surfaces, including places where wet weather could be simulated. Some parts simulate crosswalks and intersections -- essential in preparing for real-world driving.

Apple has been engaged in limited road tests of modified Lexus SUVs in California. The Arizona facility may be offering a chance to test technology both in controlled conditions and away from the public eye.

The company is believed to have abandoned efforts at designing its own car, but may aiming at a platform for the ridehailing market. Before then it's expected to launch a "PAIL" (Palo Alto to Infinite Loop) shuttle for its workforce.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16

Surprise!

cgWerks
  • Reply 2 of 16

Surprise!

Rayz2016
  • Reply 3 of 16
    It looks a bit different.

Just a little bit 

• Reply 4 of 16
    Corporation Trust Company?  Yeah, that’s not a fishy name. 
  • Reply 5 of 16
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    With Waymo starting driverless rides in Chandler, AZ, Apple needs to be playing catch-up fast.   We will definitely see some real public progress in the next two years.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Apple is too late they'll never take the market from Tesla, Motorola and Swiss Watches Fire Tim Cook now! Apple going out of business.

And yeah Arizona has the weirdest town names. Why, Arizona, Baghdad, Arizona, Miami.....
    tmayAirunJae
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    k2kw said:
    With Waymo starting driverless rides in Chandler, AZ, Apple needs to be playing catch-up fast.   We will definitely see some real public progress in the next two years.
    Yes, the fact that they were years behind Motorola and Nokia is why the iPhone never really took off. 

The race hasn’t even started and you think Apple is already playing catch-up? 
    edited November 2017 AirunJaeLukeCagetmay
  • Reply 8 of 16
    k2kw said:
    On the other hand, Apple gets the benefit of data collected by Didi, the “Chinese Uber”.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Rayz2016 said:
    k2kw said:
    Yes, the fact that they were years behind Motorola and Nokia is why the iPhone never really took off. 

Just because it has not been in public much, this race has been going on for at least 4-5 years. I tend to think that Apple should be building its own electric SUV based on a Volvo.   It gives them the opportunity to show of their design skills.   I'm less impressed by many of Apple's services like SIRI.   Apple was really in the lead with SIRI but has definitely fallen behind.   Until I really see improvement in SIRI I won't be riding in any Apple self driving car or using CarPlay.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    k2kw said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    k2kw said:

Just because it has not been in public much, this race has been going on for at least 4-5 years. I tend to think that Apple should be building its own electric SUV based on a Volvo.   It gives them the opportunity to show of their design skills.   I'm less impressed by many of Apple's services like SIRI.   Apple was really in the lead with SIRI but has definitely fallen behind.   Until I really see improvement in SIRI I won't be riding in any Apple self driving car or using CarPlay.
    BTW...its Siri, not SIRI. Honestly, no voice assistant is really all that great. Some are better than others for different things. I don't really see where one is any further ahead than another.

Apple is almost always late to the party, but when they enter a specific space, they make a splash and people sit up and take notice. If they don't, then that company could turn into the next BlackBerry. Being first to something doesn't mean that specific company will always be on top.

I'd rather wait for Apple to release whatever it is they're going to release when its ready...not just rush it out because everyone else is releasing it before them. For one thing, we don't even know what Apple is working on. Is it a full-blown car? Is it just technology for a car? Something totally different? Lets not just to conclusions. 
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 11 of 16
    macxpress said:
    k2kw said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    k2kw said:

BTW...its Siri, not SIRI. Honestly, no voice assistant is really all that great. Some are better than others for different things. I don't really see where one is any further ahead than another.

Apple is almost always late to the party, but when they enter a specific space, they make a splash and people sit up and take notice. If they don't, then that company could turn into the next BlackBerry. Being first to something doesn't mean that specific company will always be on top.

I'd rather wait for Apple to release whatever it is they're going to release when its ready...not just rush it out because everyone else is releasing it before them. For one thing, we don't even know what Apple is working on. Is it a full-blown car? Is it just technology for a car? Something totally different? Lets not just to conclusions. 
    I do think that Apple has plenty of time to release an Apple designed Car (built mostly from the ground up) especially if it is an electric SUV.    I think that most traditional ICE manufacturers have dragged their feet on producing electric vehicles.   Apple could easily sell 100,000 $100,000+ electric SUVs the first year and then grow from there.   It would play to their strength by utilizing Chinese manufacturing for the batteries and vehicles (maybe via Geely) .    Then those vehicles could be used to collect driving data for developing self driving software.   I see this a better path for Apple as opposed to developing a software system for other cars.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    k2kw said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    k2kw said:

Siri is decent at what she does. She isn't perfect, but she does quite a bit and rather well. There is room for improvement, but that is the case for most anything out there. I have used CarPlay before (with a Hyundai Santa Fe; freaking awesome car!), and I was truly impressed with it! It was simple to use, and not obtrusive. My only complaint with it was traveling at night using the GPS; the screen was very bright. I am sure there was a way to tone down the screen brightness, but since it was a rental and I didn't have it for very long, I wouldn't know.

One last thing, have you used one of the self-driving cars? I drove for Lyft in the Phoenix area, and seeing those driverless cars was often a bit scary as a driver. That is ONLY because I am not used to it, and I am sure as it became commonplace it wouldn't be as jarring. Anyways, what I was trying to say before was have you used one of the ride-shares that have driverless cars before? If you haven't, then how can you say that Apple's would be worse of an experience without having any baseline to test it against? At that point, all you are doing is Apple-bashing for the sake of throwing vitriol out there.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Rayz2016 said:
    k2kw said:

Thank you that's what I'm saying this race to driverless vehicles is a marathon not a sprint. It will be awhile until this technology is reliable and safe enough that regular people won't blink at a driverless car going down their street. 
    palomine
  • Reply 14 of 16
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    LukeCage said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    k2kw said:

Thank you that's what I'm saying this race to driverless vehicles is a marathon not a sprint. It will be awhile until this technology is reliable and safe enough that regular people won't blink at a driverless car going down their street. 
    Not to mention that people will just have to get used to this technology. We've been driving vehicles for over 100 yrs...now all of a sudden there's this new thing out where you don't drive the vehicle...it drives you. This will be a major paradigm shift that will occur over many many years until you driving is a foreign concept. There's no need to rush into it. Rushing never gets anyone anywhere. Just look at Samsung for example...
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 15 of 16
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    k2kw said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    k2kw said:

If only there was money to be made in EV's at this point in time.

There isn't any profitability today, and the industry likely won't see any profitability until the mid 2020's, and that is iffy.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 16 of 16
    viclauyyc said:
    It looks a bit different.

Just a little bit 

That is not the proving grounds near Surprise AZ, it's the one near Bullhead City, a 3hr drive away. The image in the article is the one near Surprise.