Amazon Prime Video app for Apple TV beta testing by employees underway, release date still...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mac_128 said:

The day Amazon releases the Prime Video app for Apple TV is the day I get a Prime Subscription. Until then, no matter how much Amazon pimps it, I'm not taking the bait.

The Prime ads are everywhere!

I became a Prime member for the shipping. It's paid for itself many times over. That's why I'm holding Apple to a higher standard than Amazon over their promise the app would be available "later this year". I won't be cancelling my Prime membership if the app doesn't come to the Apple TV as promised -- however, I would have never bought the ATV 4K on launch day back in September, if I knew the Amazon App would have still not been available by December 1! (Don't get me started on the manual picture format switching I've had to endure, or the lack of Dolby Digital, or my 4K HDR movies randomly reverting to HD on iTunes, etc.) And if the app doesn't arrive by January 1, I'm taking the ATV 4K back to Apple for a full refund, and they're going to have to give it to me.
    You're going to be outside the 14-day return period. How is that going to work? I'm not certain you're going to get a lot of traction because a third-party app vendor hasn't delivered a promised app for the device.

Dolby Digital is supported (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204069) -- Atmos is not. Is that what you're talking about?

Oh, and the format switching dependent on content resolution? Automatic in tvOS 11.2
    We don't know that the hold up is due entirely to a third party vendor at all. The hold up could be 11.2. The fact that Amazon has said the app will be available for the Apple TV 2 & 3, suggests strongly to me that Apple is in part holding back at least some of the rollout, not wanting the simpler 2 & 3 basic HD apps (which are likely just ports of apps that have been around for years), to roll out before the 4K version is ready. Indeed, aspects of 11.2 might be required to support the App. The fact 11.2 was in beta so soon after the release further suggests to me that it wasn't just a rushed response for customer demand for auto format match, but a feature they intended at launch but pulled at the last minute -- which in of itself might explain why the rumored Amazon App also disappeared. Or the hold up could be both of them. 

Either way, Apple did promise the app "later this year", and they did market it as a feature to me as an inducement to buy the ATV 4K when I did, which (in however small part) boosted Apple's 4th quarter results -- yet 2.5+ months later, I'm still sitting here without a box that doesn't have a key app Apple promised me. They will have to deal with it, whether they choose to blame Amazon entirely or not.

I've read numerous places that 11.2 supports auto frame rate and auto SDR/HDR, but that it still does not support auto resolution. Are you confirming that the current beta automatically switches between 480p, 720p, 1080p and 4K too? If so that's the first confirmation I have heard to the contrary.

And yes, I mean Atmos, not DD. Thanks.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mac_128 said:
    mac_128 said:

The day Amazon releases the Prime Video app for Apple TV is the day I get a Prime Subscription. Until then, no matter how much Amazon pimps it, I'm not taking the bait.

I became a Prime member for the shipping. It's paid for itself many times over. That's why I'm holding Apple to a higher standard than Amazon over their promise the app would be available "later this year". I won't be cancelling my Prime membership if the app doesn't come to the Apple TV as promised -- however, I would have never bought the ATV 4K on launch day back in September, if I knew the Amazon App would have still not been available by December 1! (Don't get me started on the manual picture format switching I've had to endure, or the lack of Dolby Digital, or my 4K HDR movies randomly reverting to HD on iTunes, etc.) And if the app doesn't arrive by January 1, I'm taking the ATV 4K back to Apple for a full refund, and they're going to have to give it to me.
    You're going to be outside the 14-day return period. How is that going to work? I'm not certain you're going to get a lot of traction because a third-party app vendor hasn't delivered a promised app for the device.

Dolby Digital is supported (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204069) -- Atmos is not. Is that what you're talking about?

Oh, and the format switching dependent on content resolution? Automatic in tvOS 11.2
    We don't know that the hold up is due entirely to a third party vendor at all. The hold up could be 11.2. The fact that Amazon has said the app will be available for the Apple TV 2 & 3, suggests strongly to me that Apple is in part holding back at least some of the rollout, not wanting the simpler 2 & 3 basic HD apps (which are likely just ports of apps that have been around for years), to roll out before the 4K version is ready. Indeed, aspects of 11.2 might be required to support the App. The fact 11.2 was in beta so soon after the release further suggests to me that it wasn't just a rushed response for customer demand for auto format match, but a feature they intended at launch but pulled at the last minute -- which in of itself might explain why the rumored Amazon App also disappeared. Or the hold up could be both of them. 

Either way, Apple did promise the app "later this year", and they did market it as a feature to me as an inducement to buy the ATV 4K when I did, which (in however small part) boosted Apple's 4th quarter results -- yet 2.5+ months later, I'm still sitting here without a box that doesn't have a key app Apple promised me. They will have to deal with it, whether they choose to blame Amazon entirely or not.

I've read numerous places that 11.2 supports auto frame rate and auto SDR/HDR, but that it still does not support auto resolution. Are you confirming that the current beta automatically switches between 480p, 720p, 1080p and 4K too? If so that's the first confirmation I have heard to the contrary.

1) What in tvOS 11.2 is different from 11.0 that would not allow Amazon Video to work? Nothing I’ve seen indicates that tvOS is behind in video or audio capabilities compared to other offerings that support Amazon Video.

2) It’s an odd stance to say that if you reiterate what someone else did that you, the messenger, is the one making the promise and should be held accountable for another’s actions.

3) Am I missing something?
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 43 of 46
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    mac_128 said:
    mac_128 said:

I'll look closer at it over the weekend to be sure it's the Apple TV and not something unique to my setup, but it does appear to be doing so at least between 1080p and 4K.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mac_128 said:
    mac_128 said:

I'll look closer at it over the weekend to be sure it's the Apple TV and not something unique to my setup, but it does appear to be doing so at least between 1080p and 4K.
    Thanks! I would be very happy if indeed it does all three.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    Waited long enough, now using new ROKU