Apple pushes out iOS 11.2 with Apple Pay Cash, 7.5-watt wireless charging, date bug fix

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2017
In a highly unusual move, Apple early Saturday released iOS 11.2 with support for Apple Pay Cash, 7.5-watt charging on compatible devices and -- tellingly -- a fix for a nasty date bug that can cause devices to enter a soft reset loop.

Available via Software Update, iOS 11.2 appears to have been pushed out early to deal with a recently discovered date bug that can cause springboard to crash, rendering an affected device barely usable.

Detailed in a series of posts to online forums and social media services, the bug is seemingly tied to local notifications generated after 12:15 a.m. local time on Dec. 2. Users noted at the time that iOS 11.2, then in beta, did not suffer from the date bug, suggesting Apple rushed its release in part to deal with the problem.

As seen in a Support Document published at around the same time that iOS 11.2 went live, Apple urges users who are experiencing unexpected restarts to disable notifications and install the latest version of the mobile operating system.

Along with the date bug fix, iOS 11.2 is supposed to activate Apple Pay Cash, the company's peer-to-peer money transfer solution, but backend support does not appear to be live. Embedded as part of Messages, Apple Pay Cash allows users in the U.S. to send money to other Apple Pay users via a prepaid cash card which can be used for Apple Pay transactions. Alternatively, users can transfer funds to their bank account.

The latest iOS version also enables fast 7.5-watt wireless charging for iPhone 8 and iPhone X handsets. Introduced this year, wireless iPhone charging was initially limited to 5-watts of power, the same throughput as Apple's wired adapter. The company promised faster charging speeds would be enabled through updated firmware.

Other odds and ends include three new Live wallpapers for iPhone X, improved video camera stabilization, support in Podcasts for automatically advancing to the next episode from the same show and support in HealthKit for downhill snow sports distance.

Beyond the date bug, Apple built in a host of fixes for first-party apps including a resolution to a Mail issue that could cause the app to appear to be checking for new messages even when a download is complete. Another issue caused cleared Mail notifications from Exchange accounts to reappear.

Other bugs addressed by iOS 11.2 include an issue where Settings could open to a blank screen, a problem that prevented swiping to Today View or Camera from the Lock Screen and an issue preventing Music controls from showing up on the Lock Screen. Apple also remedied hiccups associated with VoiceOver, Calculator, Find My iPhone and iCloud. General stability improvements to Calendar and the soft keyboard are also included.

Users can download the 430.7MB update by navigating to Settings > General > Software Update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Okay. I'll be the first guinea pig to do it. 👍🏻
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 63
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Update installed, but I'm not seeing the black Apple Pay Cash card in Wallet so I can set it up for sending payment via iMessage (and NFC?).
    jmg8650
  • Reply 3 of 63
    As the iOs have been moving upward in number, the stability has been moving down. I think I'll pass and stick to 10.3.3.
    sekator
  • Reply 4 of 63
    jmg8650jmg8650 Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    Im not seeing Apple Cash card in wallet ? Am i missing anything ???
    aylk
  • Reply 5 of 63
    I second
    As the iOs have been moving upward in number, the stability has been moving down. I think I'll pass and stick to 10.3.3.
    I second that. Sticking to 10.3.3, especially given the hit on device performance every major iOS upgrade brings - not worth the brought features.
  • Reply 6 of 63
    I love iOS 11.2 !
    macplusplusjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 63
    Man I’m glad I’m on the public betas. I haven’t experienced any of these bugs.
    johnnashbshankHawk5263
  • Reply 8 of 63
    Hmm not sure where my post went. App switcher hard press left border is back. Or is that old news?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 63
    So the beta's are the stable releases now ?
    (at least some...)
    edited December 2017 brakken
  • Reply 10 of 63
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    sekator said:
    I second
    I second that. Sticking to 10.3.3, especially given the hit on device performance every major iOS upgrade brings - not worth the brought features.
    iPhone 8 Plus , 7 Plus and iPad Air 2 working with no issues on 11.1.2 ?  Every IOS update seems to have a few apps that kill battery and performance and people are afraid of updating ?  YouTube is the example. People have been howling since iOS 11 release about batter drain, and just this last week Google finally admitted they were working on the massive drain caused by the YouTube app. How many other app developers are aware of this same type of situation and take their time addressing it, while letting the Apple and the update take the hit for it?  Gordon Kelly over at Forbes has a field day with his “ Nasty Surprises” column every time a new iPhone or iOS is introduced. 

Also as I have said here before...  restoring from old carried over backups is asking for issues. Some people get away with it some don’t and blame the new update. Every whole # update I update and set up as new and bring everything back from the cloud, not the previous back up. Works well for me and the devices in my home.  I began setting my devices up as new  with updates back with iOS 9, when AirPlay was almost unusable and the screen orientation kept getting stuck on my 6s Plus in landscape mode. 
    d_2cecil444magman1979chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 63
    What is this "improve video stabilization"??  I don't remember reading that in the beta updates.

Is this an improvement to EIS (maybe in 4K)??
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 12 of 63
    jpoojpoo Posts: 1member
    After update iOS 11.2 on iPhone , it fixed restarting issue but FACE ID stopped working !!!!

philboogie
  • Reply 13 of 63
    jmg8650jmg8650 Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    I just spoke with applecare.  If you were not part of the beta, apple pay cash is still not available even with the new update.  The person on the phone is saying they are getting flooded with calls about apple pay cash because the announcement was misleading. 
    netmagephilboogiemagman1979jony0bluefire1potatoleeksoupwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 63
    bluefire1 said:
    Okay. I'll be the first guinea pig to do it. 👍🏻
    Test subject 1 has been found.
    Begin the test.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 63
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    krawall said:
    Hmm not sure where my post went. App switcher hard press left border is back. Or is that old news?
    Never knew about it, but I just checked and it works on 11.1.2 on my 6s.

Any word on whether they fixed the bug that causes the clock to disappear on the lock screen?
  • Reply 16 of 63
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member

Agree that iOS has been one of the buggiest releases Apple has put out in a while, but thinking about it I’m not too surprised. It’s a major update with siginicant changes under the hood that likely required re-writing a lot of code. I’m not sure about this, but I think this version is also compatible with more iphone models than any of the previous versions of iOS
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 63
    jmg8650 said:
    Yes, you are missing something. Enable 2 factor authentication.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 63
    I chatted with Apple support and was told that Apple Pay Cash isn't enabled yet.  
    edited December 2017 caladanianmagman1979supadav03watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 63
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jmg8650 said:
    Yes, you are missing something. Enable 2 factor authentication.
    1) I have 2FA enabled, which I again just verified by signing into appleid.apple.com. That link even shows my Apple Pay Cash balance, but no virtual card in Wallet. I also have a passcode (and Touch ID) set on my iPhone, so that's not the issue.
    2) If I go to Wallet & Apple Pay in Settings on my iPhone there is no option to turn on/off Apple Pay Cash to the black card. However, if I go to the Watch app, and then to Wallet & Apple Pay Cash those options exist. Except for the black card being available on my Watch all the other CC and debit cards I have stored are synced. Finally, despite that existing in the Wallet app for my Series 3 Watch after a screen or two of agreements during the setup it says you can't use it until you update watchOS, which doesn't have a non-beta update that supports Apple Pay Cash.

3) Since they were rolling out Apple Pay Cash in stages for those using the 11.2 beta, it's likely that Apple is still doing the same thing with the official release.
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 20 of 63
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    sekator said:
    I second
    Yeah I'm sticking with iOS 1.0. Its been all downhill from there. /s

You guys make me laugh. 
    StrangeDaysmagman1979lkruppbonobobpotatoleeksoupuraharawatto_cobrakingofsomewherehot