Apple Pay Cash money transfers launch in US on iPhones, iPads running iOS 11.2

Posted:
in iOS edited December 2017
Following Saturday's rushed launch of iOS 11.2, Apple has followed up by taking the Apple Pay Cash feature live, meaning users can now begin sending cash to friends with a debit card via iMessage.

The Apple Pay Cash feature requires an Apple Pay-compatible device running iOS 11.2. Users can find the Apple Pay Cash app icon in the iMessages app tray, but must first set up the service in the Wallet app.

Simply open Apple Wallet, tap on the Apple Pay Cash card, and then go through the steps to add a debit card. Apple Pay Cash uses debit to avoid fees from credit cards.

If the user already has a debit card saved in Apple Pay, iOS 11.2 will recommend adding that card to Apple Pay Cash.

Both sender and recipient need to have Apple Pay Cash configured for the feature to work. If the recipient has not yet enabled it, the iMessage app will display an eror, saying the user "cannot receive payments sent with Apple Pay at this time."

Received money can be applied to Apple Pay purchases in stores, apps and on the web. Alternatively, users can transfer their Apple Pay Cash balance to a connected bank account.

In addition to iPhone and iPad, Apple Pay Cash is also compatible with Apple Watch. It is not, however, available on Mac, which does not have access to the iMessage App Store.

Apple Pay Cash was announced at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference in June, but the feature was not completed in time for the launch of iOS 11 in September.

iOS 11.2 was pushed out over the weekend after it was discovered a bug could cause repeated crashes when the date changed to Dec. 2. Because iOS 11.2 was delivered before Apple had anticipated, Apple Pay Cash was not yet live prior to Monday.

The capabilities appear to be enabled server-side, so users running iOS 11.2 won't need any further software updates to gain access to the feature.
watto_cobra

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Seems Apple's forgotten about the world outside the USA again...
    mrmiyamotowilliamlondonlostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 64
    Im on the east coast USA, I updated to 11.2 on Saturday - all was good but it took out ALL my cards from apple pay, & I had to re-enter them all. I have 2 factor enabled, bit i am NOT seeing any sign of apple pay cash in the wallet.
    preclarotipopeterhart
  • Reply 3 of 64
    riverkoriverko Posts: 222member
    elijahg said:
    Seems Apple's forgotten about the world outside the USA again...
    True. Well, in Czech republic we are still waiting for ‘basic’ Apple Pay... 
    lancellotwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 64
    I still get a "Not Available" when I try to enable Apple Pay Cash in Settings, so not sure how appleinsider was able to do it.  
    preclarotipopeterhartwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 64
    oddnocoddnoc Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    West coast of the US, 10:15 AM Dec. 4: turned on Apple Pay Cash and submitted password. Result was an error message that Apple Pay Cash services are not available at this time. 100% reproducible.
    preclarotipowatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 64
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Im on the east coast USA, I updated to 11.2 on Saturday - all was good but it took out ALL my cards from apple pay, & I had to re-enter them all. I have 2 factor enabled, bit i am NOT seeing any sign of apple pay cash in the wallet.
    Go into Settings > Wallet and turn it on. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 64
    aplnub said:

Nope, that doesn't fix or help anything if it isn't available yet. 
    peterhartSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 64
    aplnub said:

iPhone X and updated to 11.2. I don't see it when I open up Wallet and I don't see the settings in Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay?  Anyone know why it's not showing up?
    SpamSandwichStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 64
    Nope ApplePay Not available notice on my iPhone7 and nothing on my iPad Pro
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 64
    Doubt I’d ever use this. My bank app allows me to transfer money to anyone’s bank account. Been using it for a couple years now.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 64
    It just says "not available" when I try to enable it. Apple have been pretty pathetic about rolling out services in the past. It looks like this is the same.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    Doubt I’d ever use this. My bank app allows me to transfer money to anyone’s bank account. Been using it for a couple years now.
    I can see this as more convenient than using the bank app if the other person is using iMessage.
    edited December 2017 williamlondonpatchythepiratelostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 64
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    launfall said:
    I still get a "Not Available" when I try to enable Apple Pay Cash in Settings, so not sure how appleinsider was able to do it.  
    Yep, me too. 

I'm also curious if anyone on a iPhone 5s can do this, as Apple Pay is done in the watch app, not on the iPhone (as it isn't supported in the 5s.)

I agree that I likely won't use this much, but I do like having options just in case. I have a similar bank app, that works well (with no vig) but it is certainly not instanteneous like APC is touted to be. 

• Reply 14 of 64
    Running on a X with 11.2.  There is NO apple pay cash toggle switch in my settings > Wallet & Apple Pay section!  I have rebooted the X, same results.  Clearly this is NOT a smooth rollout!
  • Reply 15 of 64
    Looks like Apple hasn't turned it on their servers yet.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-pay-cash-not-showing-up.2092665/
  • Reply 16 of 64
    It was there. Tried to turn it on said it was unavailable. Then I tried it again and now it’s not even there. I’m on an iPhone X using iOS 11.2. Very weird
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 64
    Not showing for me 7+ running 11.2. On EST
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 64
    Same here. Button for Apple pay cash is fine now
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 64
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Ignoring these presumably temporary rollout problems, is APC finally going to allow anonymous cashless transactions? i.e., can one create an APC account via a pre-paid gift card without any real, personally-identifying data? Once funds are on the account, it seems at that point any point-of-sale purchases would be completely anonymous, almost as good as cash. Or is this not possible yet?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 64
    Not working for me either...