Apple updates tvOS to 11.2, adds live sports & video display mode switching

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
A few days after the emergent release of iOS 11.2, Apple has wrapped up the beta testing and has made tvOS 11.2 for the fourth generation Apple TV and the Apple TV 4K available to all.

The most notable change is the addition of the Sports section to TV. The "Sports" tab joins the previous options of "Watch Now," "Library," "Store" and "Search." It features quick links to live games and the ability to rewatch games that already occurred.

Users can also select their favorite teams for a range of sports and leagues. The TV app promises users that they will receive an alert when the team is about to play, letting users begin streaming as soon as the game starts. Supported leagues include Major League Baseball, the National Football League, the National Basketball League, college football, men's college basketball and more.

Other, less obvious changes include video display mode switching to match the frame rate and dynamic range of played content, and some user interface refinements.

The tvOS 11.2 update is available either as an automatic update, or manually through the Settings app on the Apple TV itself.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Live sports doesn’t have integration with Fox Sports, CBS Sports, NBC Sports, (not sure about NFL Sunday Ticket). For basketball, it has NBA TV & ESPN. 
    libertyforall
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I wonder how long until the TV app launches in the UK. Only 27 days left until the deadline they set expires. 
  • Reply 3 of 17
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    And still no Amazon App ... was really hoping it would get released alongside this update.
    edited December 2017 zroger73hodar
  • Reply 4 of 17
    All I want for Christmas is a YouTubeTV app ... an Amazon Video app would be nice too!
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 121member
     I’ve been having problems with my Apple TV setting under audio and video.   Update allows us to change the setting from chroma 4.2.0 to 4.2.2.
    4.2.2 is a lesser compressed video signal and even though Apple TV checks my cables before making the changes and then permits the change based on its  own test, I get static and interruptions on my signal once every couple of minutes.
     I’m running Apple TV through a high-end Denon 4K receiver and using quality HDMI cable‘s .
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 6 of 17
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Scot1 said:
     I’ve been having problems with my Apple TV setting under audio and video.   Update allows us to change the setting from chroma 4.2.0 to 4.2.2.
    4.2.2 is a lesser comprised video signal and even though Apple TV checks my cables before making the changes and then permits the change based on its  own test, I get static and interruptions on my signal once every couple of minutes.
     I’m running Apple TV through a high-end Denon 4K receiver and using quality HDMI cable‘s .

In order for HDMI cables to be stamped as such, they must pass the HDMI specifications; so I'm not too worried about the HDMI cables.  I would encourage you to take quick peek at the Denon website (https://usa.denon.com/us/support/home), assuming you reside in the USA, and verify that there are no software updates for your receiver.  You may be pleasantly surprised.  That said, if those two solutions do not solve your problem; I would lay this at Apple's feet.  Their software quality, as of late, as been questionable, at best.
    Scot1
  • Reply 7 of 17
    How about an ability to share an Apple TV app download link with other people from the UI, Apple?  No share sheet functionality.  🙄
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Would like to see a Fox Business Network app too.  The Amazon Video UI on my Vizio is horrible, let’s hope they improve it for ATV!
  • Reply 9 of 17
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    mac_128 said:
    And still no Amazon App ... was really hoping it would get released alongside this update.
    Amazon is probably waiting until after Christmas to release it. 
    lkrupp
  • Reply 10 of 17
    mac_128 said:
    That’s what I was going to say also. It wouldn’t benefit Amazon to improve Apple TV sales during the top selling season.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mac_128 said:
    That’s what I was going to say also. It wouldn’t benefit Amazon to improve Apple TV sales during the top selling season.
    If that’s the case then why release one at all? Why not keep the app and the ATV off the Amazon shelves permanently. And I’m wondering if the purported app will be for the ATV4 exclusively. If that happens there will be a lot of teeth grinding and caterwauling. I wouldn’t put it past Amazon. While Apple and Google might be “frenemies” Apple and Amazon are not. I don’t see Amazon’s motive in producing this app. Their Audio and Video services are quite good. If I can’t find an old movie on iTunes or Netflix I can almost always find it on Amazon. Amazon already streams to lots of people, even Apple customers thru various means. Why would they “help” Apple sell more ATVs?

I’m vary curious about the deal Apple and Amazon reached but we’ll probably never know.
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 12 of 17
    I wonder how long until the TV app launches in the UK. Only 27 days left until the deadline they set expires. 
    Yes I’m still waiting on this. Taking way too long from US launch. 
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Would have preferred they just intergrated sports right into the Watch Now tab. Not sure why it’s needs to be segregated and under its own section. Wasn’t whole point of TV app to have everything in “one” place? Hopefully they add more partners for the sports app. Looks like it’s just ESPN right now. 
    spinnyd
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Scot1 said:
    [...] I’m running Apple TV through a high-end Denon 4K receiver and using quality HDMI cable‘s .
    It's worth giving a thought to the cables. HDMI cables are now almost as much of a mess as USB-C cables, with various permutations supporting some features but not others. A cable may be very "high quality" but still only designed for 10.2 gb throughput. Try an 18 gb cable and see if it solves the problem. Also be sure not to use cables longer than 10 ft for UHD/HDR. Finally, don't use more than one active cable in a chain. According to Monoprice, best practice when using an active cable is to place it between the receiver and the display, and then do NOT use an active cable from the source to the receiver.
  • Reply 15 of 17

lkrupp said:
    [...] I don’t see Amazon’s motive in producing this app. Their Audio and Video services are quite good. If I can’t find an old movie on iTunes or Netflix I can almost always find it on Amazon. Amazon already streams to lots of people, even Apple customers thru various means. Why would they “help” Apple sell more ATVs?
    I dunno, unless there are enough people like me to make it worth it.

In our house, KISS is the guiding principle for all entertainment and productivity setups. We settled on the Apple ecosystem as a way to centralize and manage all our entertainment and personal data files. It's not perfect, but it offers a lot of integration and data management in a way that everyone in the house can use it without having to be "trained."

Amazon keeps trying to get me to subscribe to Prime, but I don't want to until it works with our existing framework. If I have to add hardware and source setups, the hassle starts to outweigh the benefit. Making Prime work with our existing equipment would gain Amazon a subscriber.

I have no idea if anyone else is as stubborn as I am, but if enough others are, that would be Amazon's incentive to make their service available on Apple's platform. It's probably not a big deal for Amazon, as I can't imagine they're making any money on their own hardware anyway.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Yes I’m still waiting on this. Taking way too long from US launch. 
    Interesting. Maybe Amazon wants a worldwide rollout, and Apple is still rolling out the updates for the box which may be needed to support Amazon's app. That explains why we didn't get it yesterday or today.

Christmas is too late to launch it, and someone pointed out that Apple apparently closes shop between Christmas and New Years, so if we don't get it next week, then we're probably not going to get it until January.

amazon has said they're going to support ATV 2, 3, 4 and 4K. Likely 2 & 3 have been ready to go for sometime, and Apple is holding those back pending the 4K version (why would Apple want to give customers a reason not to upgrade to a 4/K?), so at this point my money is more on Apple's delay than Amazon's.

My prediction now is next week. That gives Apple and Amazon both a week to address issues worldwide before the Christmas shut down, and ensures plenty of binge watching. Christmas gifts will have already been purchased by next week, with most electronics picked up on Black Friday -- Cyber Monday. At $200, the ATV 4K is not likely to be a stocking stuffer, so little danger of competing with last minute Amazon Fire sales, especially with Amazon supporting the ATV 2 & 3, giving many Apple customers no reason to upgrade at all.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    boot loop issue on 4th gen...assuming after or during tvOS 11.2 .. remote shortcut, unplugging, don’t work.. bummer