Target launches 'Wallet' mobile payments platform, continues to ignore Apple Pay

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2017
Target on Monday introduced Wallet, a new mobile payments platform that allows customers to pay for items at brick-and-mortar Target stores, and reap savings, using the Target app on iOS and Android.

Announced in a press release, the QR code-based system lets customers provision Target REDcards on their device, which can be used in conjunction with digital savings like Cartwheel offers and Weekly Ad coupons at checkout.

According to the company, Wallet is up to four times faster than other in-store payment types. Which payment systems were tested as part of Target's impromptu study is unknown.

"Wallet in the Target app makes checkout easier and faster than ever," said Mike McNamara, chief information and digital officer at Target. "Guests are going to love the convenience of having payment, Cartwheel offers, Weekly Ad coupons and GiftCards all in one place with Wallet."

Unlike NFC-based solutions like Apple Pay, Target's Wallet relies on generated QR codes that can be scanned at a point-of-sale terminal.

To pay, users are instructed to open the app, tap on "Wallet," scan coupon barcodes with an iPhone's camera, scan their Wallet barcode at the POS terminal for Cartwheel offers, then press "Pay." Provided screenshots also show options to make cash withdrawals from an associated debit card and apply gift card credit, but those features were left unmentioned in today's release.

Target is the latest big-box chain to roll out an in-house payments solution instead of adopting existing technologies like Apple Pay. Walmart, another Apple Pay holdout, debuted the QR code-based Walmart Pay to all U.S. stores last year.

It was Target and Walmart that led the charge against Apple Pay implementation in favor of in-house technology developed by the Merchant Customer Exchange consortium, of which both companies are founding members. Dubbed CurrentC, the mobile payments solution was touted as a segment competitor by MCX until the pilot program fizzled out last June. MCX subsequently sold the defunct platform to JPMorgan Chase earlier this year.

Earlier this year, a Target customer service representative gave Apple device owners false hope in a tweet saying the retailer was working to integrate Apple Pay in its stores. Target quickly denied the claims, noting it had no plans to make Apple Pay available beyond in-app purchases.

Those interested in taking advantage of Target's Wallet technology can download the company's app from the iOS App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    Garbage. Will not use. I implore others to avoid as well. No reason to not take NFC payments at this point in the game. Target wonders why sales have slumped and why their Black Friday was a failure. They don’t listen to what their customers want.
    jbdragonmaclvr03bluefire1StrangeDayspatchythepiratelostkiwirandominternetpersonjony0YoSamCapsFanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 52
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    supadav03 said:
    Garbage. Will not use. I implore others to avoid as well. No reason to not take NFC payments at this point in the game. Target wonders why sales have slumped and why their Black Friday was a failure. They don’t listen to what their customers want.

As Steve said, customers don't know what they want until you show it to them. But Target is totally misunderstanding that, in this case.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 52
    I’d love to be able to say: Agggh! I refuse to shop at Target until they adopt Apple Pay! (Much like Ive done for WalMart) But let’s face it, it’s Target. Short of being involved in a plot to blow up the sun, they’ll probably always be loved by consumers. I’ll just refuse to use their “wallet” app, much like I’ve avoided the “savings” scam known as the RED card, and hope this initiative eventually dies. Simply opening up NFC payments to the wallet system of your choice, be it apple, android or other, is really the smartest move for consumers.
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 52
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    supadav03 said:
    Target should be accepting NFC payments but I don't understand how this is garbage for people that have the REDcard. I use the app all the time for Cartwheel offers. This is way more convenient since you scan the Cartwheel offer and its paying at the same time with your Target card.
    1STnTENDERBITSronn
  • Reply 5 of 52
    I used it yesterday. It worked really well for how I shop at Target ... using Redcard and Cartwheel. Right now it's not really a payment platform. It's more of a loyalty platform since it's only open to Redcard users. There's no reason to use it if you don't have a Redcard. Prior to yesterday, at checkout I would have to wait until all my items were scanned, then present my Cartwheel QR code and then use the chip reader with my Redcard and enter my PIN. Yesterday, it was scan the QR code and done. Payment and all coupons and discounts were applied at once. It was super fast!  
    LukeCage1STnTENDERBITSsirlance99sirlance99ronnjony0
  • Reply 6 of 52
    It wasn’t too long ago that Target had a massive data breach. Can Target really afford not to use the best, the most popular and most secure forms of payment. I guess only time will tell. 
    edited December 2017 jbdragonchiaRayz2016StrangeDayspatchythepiratewatto_cobrakudu
  • Reply 7 of 52
    Would that be the same Target that has a massive breach of credit card data a few years back? Ummm.... no thanks...
    chiabshankABiteaDayStrangeDayslostkiwiwatto_cobrakudu
  • Reply 8 of 52
    LukeCage said:
    It wasn’t too long ago that Target had a massive data breach. Can Target really afford not to use the best, the most popular and most secure forms of payment. I guess only time will tell. 
    Target caters to, and (pun intended) targets it's primary customers with programs like this.  They know what their customers like.  They know who their customers are.  They know their average customer is approx. 40 years old, college graduate, making $64K a year, and might have children.  They don't really, really care about the 5.5% of customers who use Apple Pay as a mobile payment solution, the 5.1% that use Walmart Pay, the 3.3% that use Samsung Pay, or the 1.8% that use Android Pay.  

Besides, I bet you can easily find anecdotal evidence from customers who've actually used the feature that will show they are happy with the process and the savings.  
    ronnmazda 3s
  • Reply 9 of 52
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    According to the company, Wallet is up to four times faster than other in-store payment types. Which payment systems were tested as part of Target's impromptu study is unknown
    Well, they tried an arthritic old lady getting quarters out of  her purse, a drunk man trying to pay with his bus pass, and a small child paying cash who couldn't reach over the conveyor belt.
    chiaRayz2016RonnnieOrandominternetpersonwatto_cobrakudu
  • Reply 10 of 52
    supadav03 said:
    Target should be accepting NFC payments but I don't understand how this is garbage for people that have the REDcard. I use the app all the time for Cartwheel offers. This is way more convenient since you scan the Cartwheel offer and its paying at the same time with your Target card.
    Scanning bar codes is garbage 
    chiaStrangeDayspatchythepiratelostkiwirandominternetpersonwatto_cobrakudu
  • Reply 11 of 52
    supadav03 said:
    supadav03 said:
    Scanning bar codes is garbage 
    Except right now, the entire process of buying items at a retail store involves scanning bar codes. Scanning one more to pay (and save at the same time) isn't a big deal. 
    ronn
  • Reply 12 of 52
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    I refuse to pay for things using Store Apps and QR codes!!! Can you imagine every place you stop at, you have to load up their app, and pay with their app? No thanks!!!! Yet more company's are starting to go this route. I won't fall for it. If I can just just my Apple Watch, it's back to the card.

It's the strangest thing as Target has supported Apple Pay ONLINE since launch.
    edited December 2017 chiaStrangeDayslostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 52
    I can see why Target wants to capture all that data at checkout. It could be like Walgreens it pulls up your loyalty card and just bam pay, Kohls also. Wonder if they will eventually come around to it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 52
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Idiots!... and not just run of the mill idiots... 

Serve the customer.... Not your stupidity Target. 
    jbdragonlostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 52
    LukeCage said:
    Target caters to, and (pun intended) targets it's primary customers with programs like this.  They know what their customers like.  They know who their customers are.  They know their average customer is approx. 40 years old, college graduate, making $64K a year, and might have children.  They don't really, really care about the 5.5% of customers who use Apple Pay as a mobile payment solution, the 5.1% that use Walmart Pay, the 3.3% that use Samsung Pay, or the 1.8% that use Android Pay.  

Besides, I bet you can easily find anecdotal evidence from customers who've actually used the feature that will show they are happy with the process and the savings.  
    I won’t deny that Target knows it’s custumers better than anyone, but a 40 year old with a college degree in the US would most likely have an iPhone. Meaning that a 40 year old would most like want to use something like Apple Pay. 

That is, if those metrics are real. Are those numbers in your post Tenderbites real or was it an example? If not real, than forget about this post. 
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 52
    I only shop at ApplePay stores whenever possible. I changed pharmacies, from CVS to RiteAid. 
    jbdragonpatchythepiratelostkiwiwatto_cobrakudu
  • Reply 17 of 52
    Refusing a 'payment method' is just daft, arrogant and shortsighted to say the least.

Stupid CEO!

>90% of companies where the founder dies and is replaced by professional CEO's eventually go out of business. Apple, Boeing. Ford, McDonalds, etc., are the exceptions and not the rule. 85% of Fortune 500 companies in 1950 are now out of business. Why Americans continue to show such reverence (and high salaries) to CEO's is beyond me! :)

Best
    StrangeDayslostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 52
    This from a company that protects user information like their business depended on it! ... Oh wait never mind :(
    cgWerksjbdragonchialostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 52
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    I totally believe this is faster than using a card - chip cards may be more secure, but they are SLOW! Apple Pay is neat and really convenient, but the majority of the stores around here either don’t accept it, or it’s not clear if they do or not so I end up using my credit card instead. “I refuse to shop at a store that doesn’t take Apple Pay” - seriously??? We are no where near any sort of standard for NFC payment systems, so the patchwork is going to continue for a while, and completely cutting off 60% of your shopping options because you’re too lazy to pull out your credit card seems a bit daft to me.

Many people use the Cartwheel app for store discounts, so they already have the bar code up to scan, so this isn’t adding any steps for theml, and the additional 5% discount with the red card is reason enough for me to use the red card instead of my Discover or Master card. 

• Reply 20 of 52
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    I used to like Target... but this company has proven to be plain stupid on so many fronts.
    watto_cobra