Apple wins block against European trademark for Xiaomi's Mi Pad

Posted:
in iPad
Apple on Tuesday won a years-long bid to stop Xiaomi from trademarking the name of its Mi Pad tablet in the European Union, which Apple argued was too similar to iPad.

"The dissimilarity between the signs at issue, resulting from the presence of the additional letter 'M' at the beginning of 'Mi Pad,' is not sufficient to offset the high degree of visual and phonetic similarity between the two signs," the European Union's General Court ruled according to Reuters. It noted that English-speaking people were likely to interpret "Mi" as "my," and hence pronounce it like the "i" in iPad.

Xiaomi should still be able to sell the Mi Pad in Europe, just without trademark protections. The company has the option of appealing the General Court's decision at the higher Court of Justice.

Xiaomi first applied for an E.U. trademark in 2014. Apple in turn filed a complaint, which the E.U. Intellectual Property Office upheld in 2016.

The Chinese vendor has often deliberately imitated Apple, for instance launching the Mi Notebook Air in 2016. While it does make some high-end products -- such as the Mi Mix 2 smartphone, with an edge-to-edge display -- it typically makes some sacrifices to compete on price.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Good job Apple .I see the clones of the iPhone all over Asia and I get pissed.
    Oppo,Vivo, Xaomi & One Plus are all thieves run by the Chinese 
    elijahgjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Scumbag manufacturers.
    elijahgjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    BBK is the bad Chinese firm copying all of Apple products 
    jbdragonjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    winch from behind helped/sponsored by Chinese Government. There slogan is don't spend on R&D but hack,steal,copy,make cheap and sell everywhere.
    elijahgracerhomiejony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    while I agree it's a knock-off iPad, even down to the way they advertise it, I can't agree with this reasoning...

" It noted that English-speaking people were likely to interpret "Mi" as "my," and hence pronounce it like the "i" in iPad."

quite the contrary I would have thought, and a LOT of Europe doesn't speak English where it's even more likely to be pronounced mi (mee).
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Why can’t they make thier own product name....ops sorry Chinese always copy with the help of google android to look like apple.
    From history, Chinese have lots of original inventions such firecrackers for examples, thier current products are getting better quality overtime anyway so come on now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    This is not about an iPhone clone but about a trademark. 
  • Reply 8 of 15
    cropr said:
    This is not about an iPhone clone but about a trademark. 
    They should sue them for the iPhone clones too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    That's a win for sinophobia and a total loss for the EU. Well maybe not total. It isn't like Xiaomi's in the tablet business anyway. They've moved on to laptop computers that also kick Apple's behind. So enjoy your small victory Apple. You can thank all the anti-China press for it. But that's not going to stop Xiaomi at all. And you are still getting kicked out of China which is a much larger market than europe.
  • Reply 10 of 15

I feel the same way each time I have to look at the iPhone X or most of the useful iOS features. I just think I've seen that for a half a year now on Xiaomi and NOW Apple "innovated" them? 
  • Reply 11 of 15
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Xiaomi also have an MBA knock off too. Not bad actually for the money.  
  • Reply 12 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    That's a win for sinophobia and a total loss for the EU. Well maybe not total. It isn't like Xiaomi's in the tablet business anyway. They've moved on to laptop computers that also kick Apple's behind. So enjoy your small victory Apple. You can thank all the anti-China press for it. But that's not going to stop Xiaomi at all. And you are still getting kicked out of China which is a much larger market than europe.
    Haha good one. Lemme know when these chinese knockoff brands start from anywhere other than mimicking Apple. 
    jony0chiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member

I feel the same way each time I have to look at the iPhone X or most of the useful iOS features. I just think I've seen that for a half a year now on Xiaomi and NOW Apple "innovated" them? 
    What in the X do you feel is copied from the knockoff brands?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    I don’t the Xiaomi has done anything first before any other phone manufacturer.
    please be more specific.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    evilution said:
    I don’t the Xiaomi has done anything first before any other phone manufacturer.
    please be more specific.
    Though NOT a first (Sharp was the first one for MANY years), Xiaomi was the ONE which POPULARIZED the very high Screen-To-Body Ratio phones (Xiaomi Mi Mix) in 2016 AND made it a Trend, that LG/Samsung/Apple followed suit in that order with their latest flagship phones in 2017.