Honor's new View 10 phone brings iPhone X-style Animoji to Android

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2017
Huawei's Honor brand on Tuesday revealed the Android-based View 10, a new flagship phone that features a direct imitation of the Animoji feature available on Apple's iPhone X.

The View 10's equivalent is simply called "3D Facial Animation," The Verge noted. Like Animoji, the technology pairs facial tracking with several animated characters, such as a panda with aviator goggles.

The phone also supports facial unlocks similar to the iPhone X's Face ID, although the basic concept isn't new and has previously been offered on some Android and Windows devices.

Huawei and fellow Chinese phonemakers Oppo and Xiaomi are expected to adopt 3D sensors on upcoming 2018 models, following in the footsteps of the iPhone X's TrueDepth camera. That could mean that features like Animoji will quickly spread under different names and varying levels of quality.

Honor's custom user interface also resembles iOS 11, but there are some significant differences in the View 10, which ships Jan. 8. While it has a large display, for instance, it isn't completely edge-to-edge. At the bottom is a Samsung-style home button, whereas the iPhone X completely ditches a physical home button in exchange for touchscreen gestures, Face ID, and miscellaneous combinations of the volume and sleep/wake controls.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    Monkey see monkey do. No original ideas anymore except copy Apple.
    racerhomiejbdragonAvieshekredgeminipajahbladewatto_cobraSUNNY3061990
  • Reply 2 of 39
    VRingVRing Posts: 108member
    stulaw01 said:
    Huawei P9 hands-on gallery
    Huawei in early 2016.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Huawei built it's phone business copying iPhone.
    LukeCageracerhomiejbdragonredgeminipajahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 39
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    They have no…

… Honor

But that Panda is kind of cool!
    seanismorrisracerhomieAvieshekredgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 39

Huawei and fellow Chinese phonemakers Oppo and Xiaomi are expected to adopt 3D sensors on upcoming 2018 models, following in the footsteps of the iPhone X's TrueDepth camera. 
    Huawei already announced their system a week or so back, but it's not being used in the V10 (http://winfuture.de/news,100794.html).

It looks rather similar to Apple's system, no surprise there. It can capture 300,000 points in under 10 seconds (iPhone X does 30,000 points, but in a shorter amount of time). Huawei also claims their system will unlock in 0.4 seconds.

If it works as well as they claim, and that's an "if", then it would seem they're able to catch up to the hardware in a pretty short amount of time. Huawei also has a Neural Processing Unit as part of their Kirin 970 that's considerably more powerful than Apple's Neural Engine in the A11 Bionic, so all that remains is the software.
    LukeCagedoozydozen[Deleted User]Avieshek
  • Reply 6 of 39
    One differentiator from Animoji..That’s cool that it tracks your tongue..if you’re into that sort of thing.
    doozydozenAvieshekredgeminipasuperkloton
  • Reply 7 of 39
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    INNOVATION !!!
    Avieshekredgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 39
    VRing said:

Huawei and fellow Chinese phonemakers Oppo and Xiaomi are expected to adopt 3D sensors on upcoming 2018 models, following in the footsteps of the iPhone X's TrueDepth camera. 
    Huawei already announced their system a week or so back, but it's not being used in the V10 (http://winfuture.de/news,100794.html).

It looks rather similar to Apple's system, no surprise there. It can capture 300,000 points in under 10 seconds (iPhone X does 30,000 points, but in a shorter amount of time). Huawei also claims their system will unlock in 0.4 seconds.

If it works as well as they claim, and that's an "if", then it would seem they're able to catch up to the hardware in a pretty short amount of time. Huawei also has a Neural Processing Unit as part of their Kirin 970 that's considerably more powerful than Apple's Neural Engine in the A11 Bionic, so all that remains is the software.
    Can you provide me with a reference that the Kirin 970 neural processing unit is considerably more powerful than Apples Neural Engine?
    racerhomieredgeminipajahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 39

VRing said:

iPhone X TrueDepth Camera System

It's similar to Apples set up, but I'm curious as to why they have 2 RGB cameras? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 39
    VRing said:
    stulaw01 said:
    Huawei in early 2016.
    I see a copy of Apple's True Tone flash (two differently toned LEDs in the flash component), which Apple put out in 2013. When did Huawei come out with theirs? 

As for the lenses, I don't know much about the knockoffs. Are they implemented in the same way as Apple's, which is to say, two different focal lengths, portrait-mode lens effects, etc?
    edited December 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 39
    baederboy said:
    VRing said:

Can you provide me with a reference that the Kirin 970 neural processing unit is considerably more powerful than Apples Neural Engine?
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/11804/huawei-shows-unannounced-kirin-970-at-ifa-2017-dedicated-neural-processing-unit

Kirin 970's NPU offers 1.92 trillion operations per second, Apple's Neural Engine offers 600 billion operations per second. For further comparison, both are well behind Google's PVC in the Pixel 2 / Pixel 2 XL which offers 3 trillion operations per second.
    doozydozensaltyzip[Deleted User]Avieshek
  • Reply 12 of 39
    One differentiator from Animoji..That’s cool that it tracks your tongue..if you’re into that sort of thing.
    I’ll be impressed when it can wiggle the ears, and duplicate the flaring of the nostrils.

I can’t do it currently, but I get I could if I practiced.

O.K. I’ll admit I find Animoji’s kind of stupid...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 39
    VRing said:
    stulaw01 said:
    Huawei in early 2016.
    I see a copy of Apple's True Tone flash (two differently toned LEDs in the flash component), which Apple put out in 2013. When did Huawei come out with theirs? 

As for the lenses, I don't know much about the knockoffs. Are they implemented in the same way as Apple's, which is to say, two different focal lengths, portrait-mode lens effects, etc?
    Not sure about the True Tone, that could be an Apple first.

The setup is a little bit different from Apple's, but it did have a bokeh mode called Aperture Effect.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    I thought Apple is just a follower, LOL
    saltyzipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 39
    LukeCage said:

VRing said:

It's similar to Apples set up, but I'm curious as to why they have 2 RGB cameras? 
    It looks like they have 2 RGB LEDs, 2 IR cameras, 1 RGB camera, 1 proximity light sensor and 1 VCSEL projector.
    edited December 2017 doozydozen
  • Reply 16 of 39
    VRing said:
    baederboy said:
    VRing said:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11804/huawei-shows-unannounced-kirin-970-at-ifa-2017-dedicated-neural-processing-unit

Kirin 970's NPU offers 1.92 trillion operations per second, Apple's Neural Engine offers 600 billion operations per second. For further comparison, both are well behind Google's PVC in the Pixel 2 / Pixel 2 XL which offers 3 trillion operations per second.
    Apple  pursues perfection, not awards for specs that don’t translate directly into an advantage.
    Maybe at 10 trillion operations the phone will become self aware and download iOS...
    jkichlineracerhomieStrangeDayscharlesgresredgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 39
    There they go again.....
    hahahaha.....it’s just so funny
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 39
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    VRing said:
    LukeCage said:

VRing said:

It looks like they have 2 RGB LEDs, 2 IR cameras, 1 RGB camera, 1 proximity light sensor and 1 VCSEL projector.

VRing said:
    baederboy said:
    VRing said:

Completely useless self defined spec with no standardization, but go on buddy spit it out if it makes you feel better.
    And as for insults, I insult just trolls who think parking here at Appleinsider will "teach us" and yeah you're not the first here to do that, Googlehead's been there spitting out useless stats and distorsions longer than you.

StrangeDaysredgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 39
    foggyhill said:
    VRing said:
    baederboy said:
    VRing said:

Completely useless self defined spec with no standardization, but go on buddy spit it out if it makes you feel better.
    And as for insults, I insult just trolls who think parking here at Appleinsider will "teach us" and yeah you're not the first here to do that, Googlehead's been there spitting out useless stats and distorsions longer than you.

It's not useless. Through quantization you can use an 8-bit integer in a neural network prediction while maintaining useful accuracy. On that basis, it's very straight forward to compare.

Remember, honey, not vinegar.
    doozydozen[Deleted User]Avieshek
  • Reply 20 of 39
    WOW, is that presenter wearing black turtleneck shirt? I bit he also wears denim jeans....and have iphoneX 
    watto_cobra