Amazon Prime Video arrives on Apple TV, updated for iPhone X

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2017
An Amazon Prime Video app that provides full iPhone X support also brings along a tvOS version to finally provide Apple TV owners video playback from the service without relying on AirPlay.

The release of the iOS update for iPhone X compatibility comes at the same time as a native tvOS version. Amazon notes that the tvOS app requires the "Apple TV 3rd generation or later" -- but installation may necessitate a reboot of the device, or a reboot followed by a user signing out of iTunes, then back in.

A snippet of text in a misfired app description update on Tuesday night heralded the update.

Version 5.0 of the Amazon Prime Video app requires iOS 9 or tvOS 11.2. It is a 76.6MB download.

Word of Amazon Prime Video coming to Apple TV first leaked in early May with a report that claimed that Amazon and Apple were close to finalizing a deal. Until Wednesday's release, Apple users wanting to watch Amazon Prime Video and other streaming content needed to rely on Amazon's iOS app, which includes AirPlay support.

Amazon ceased Apple TV sales in October 2015, citing potential customer confusion over which streaming devices support Amazon Prime Video. As a result of Amazon Prime Video becoming available, the Apple TV is expected to the marketplace.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    I guess that is great, but ...yawn... it has been so long, does anyone still care?
  • Reply 2 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I guess that is great, but ...yawn... it has been so long, does anyone still care?
    You forgot the /s

Hell yes people care. If you’ve seen my posts you’ll know I’m a rabid Apple fanboy but Amazon Prime is a really excellent offering. In terms of shear numbers of movies it outdoes iTunes. If I can’t find a movie on iTunes or Netflix it will almost certainly be on Amazon.
    SoundJudgmentcheesehead dave
  • Reply 3 of 17
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Has anyone lived a lesser life because they weren't able to watch Amazon-only content directly on their AppleTVs? I seriously doubt it.

I dropped my Prime membership years ago. And I've been seriously considering deleting my Amazon membership as well. Most online shops offer some form of free or cheap shipping nowadays anyway Amazon does not, unless you sign up for Prime, so any added value for being a member isn't there for me any longer.

---------

edited: Haven't used Amazon in a while, so didn't remember that they do offer free ground (5-day) shipping.
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 4 of 17
    jeromecjeromec Posts: 191member
    It's here on the Apple TV.
    The interface is plain bad.

And it barely works. I tried 1 movie and 4 TV shows and could only play one!!
    Let's hope it improves in the next hours or days.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Okay, downloaded and signed in. The new app is pretty good for a first release but it has some rough edges I hope will be dealt with in future updates.

1. It was a bit confusing logging in with a bluetooth keyboard. The user id and password boxes require you to hit Select (Return) to get to the actual text entry screen.

2. The top menus also require a Select tap before changing the screen, unlike most ATV apps that change as you swipe across the top menu bar. This took me a few minutes to grok and get used to.

3. As far as I can see you cannot purchase or rent any non-Prime content on the ATV. You would have to do that on Amazon’s website. Someone correct me if I’m wrong on that. But that seems logical for Amazon to avoid Apple’s cut and might have been part of the deal between Apple and Amazon. 

You do have access to any purchased content via the “Video Library” tab.

Hey, its’ a start. Don't trash it too much.
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 6 of 17
    kripsterkripster Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    >>Amazon notes that the tvOS app requires the "Apple TV 3rd generation or later" but as of yet the service has not loaded on any third generation Apple TV units in AppleInsider's hands.<<

Same here. I see it on my Apple TV 4k, but NOT yet on my Apple TV 3rd generation. No app store on 3rd gen, so I assume icon will just appear? or it will be an OS update?

• Reply 7 of 17
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    kripster said:
    >>Amazon notes that the tvOS app requires the "Apple TV 3rd generation or later" but as of yet the service has not loaded on any third generation Apple TV units in AppleInsider's hands.<<

Same here. I see it on my Apple TV 4k, but NOT yet on my Apple TV 3rd generation. No app store on 3rd gen, so I assume icon will just appear? or it will be an OS update?

We finally forced the issue. If a reboot of the machine doesn't fix the appearance of the app, logging out and back in to iTunes services will.
    SoundJudgment
  • Reply 8 of 17
    jeromec said:
    It's here on the Apple TV.
    The interface is plain bad.

And it barely works. I tried 1 movie and 4 TV shows and could only play one!!
    Let's hope it improves in the next hours or days.
    Then you have issues my friend. I’ve been scouring the app for an hour now and can play anything I select, including some purchased content. This in on an ATV4 64GB for reference.
    edited December 2017 SoundJudgment
  • Reply 9 of 17
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Yes. Many people use Prime and now users won't have to switch between multiple devices to watch or will go back to their ATV now that it can do it all.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 17
    AF_HittAF_Hitt Posts: 143member
    mjtomlin said:
    Has anyone lived a lesser life because they weren't able to watch Amazon-only content directly on their AppleTVs? I seriously doubt it.

I dropped my Prime membership years ago. And I've been seriously considering deleting my Amazon membership as well. Most online shops offer some form of free or cheap shipping nowadays anyway - Amazon does not, unless you sign up for Prime.
    Lol, what an ignorant statement. Amazon does offer free shipping for non-Prime, any order over $25, same as most of those other places you talk about. As soon as you start spouting off lies as if they’re fact, you lose all credibility in any argument you make. You don’t find value in it, that’s fine. But there are those of us that find it as an incredible value and greatly appreciate this decision finally being made.
    jbdragon1STnTENDERBITS
  • Reply 11 of 17
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    UHD? HDR?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Hasn’t shown up as an update for my iPhone X or iPad yet in the UK...  Just hope it’s available on the ATV4K when I get home from work!  

The promise of the Prime app back in the summer, in addition to everything else great about ATV, is why I finally pulled the trigger on it - I had no interest in any other streaming hardware, and previously just used webOS that came with our LG TVs.  Fingers crossed that I never have to use that again!
  • Reply 13 of 17
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    AF_Hitt said:
    mjtomlin said:

I dropped my Prime membership years ago. And I've been seriously considering deleting my Amazon membership as well. Most online shops offer some form of free or cheap shipping nowadays anyway - Amazon does not, unless you sign up for Prime.
    Lol, what an ignorant statement. Amazon does offer free shipping for non-Prime, any order over $25, same as most of those other places you talk about. As soon as you start spouting off lies as if they’re fact, you lose all credibility in any argument you make. You don’t find value in it, that’s fine. But there are those of us that find it as an incredible value and greatly appreciate this decision finally being made.

My bad... Been a while since I've ordered anything, so I simply didn't remember... updated my post.
    entropys
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Good. Now I can return/gift/trash the two Amazon Fire TV Sticks I purchased a couple of weeks ago.

Actually, never mind. I just remembered the second reason I bought them - I like the karaoke-esque scrolling lyrics and full-screen artwork when listening to music that the Apple TV lacks.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    AF_Hitt said:
    mjtomlin said:

Yes, Amazon has FREE Shipping just like others. With PRIME subscription you get the free 2nd day shipping. Looking, I could pay $5.99 per item for same day delivery also.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Absolutely.  It's been a pretty big hole that Amazon Prime Video couldn't play on the Apple TV and thus the shows couldn't be integrated into the TV app.

Amazon has some great original content, and the TV app integration adds another way for people to avoid paying to rent a movie or show that they already have free access to.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Just in time for Top Gear...... I mean Grand Tour!