First look: Amazon Prime Video for Apple TV launches on tvOS App Store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    Finally!

So far, it seems to work quite well. (The GUI is comparable to Amazon Apps on other platforms - for better or worse.)
  • Reply 22 of 68
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    haven't tried it yet. does it do purchases? if not i can't imagine what the delay was other than trying to use their customers as pawns in a battle with apple....
    As far as I can tell, no. You can watch any of your Amazon purchased content though.
  • Reply 23 of 68
    haven't tried it yet. does it do purchases? if not i can't imagine what the delay was other than trying to use their customers as pawns in a battle with apple....
    Yeah, you have to wonder how much money they lost in potential Prime subscriptions with that spat-based decision. Doubtful they made up the difference in additional Fire TV sales.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 24 of 68
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Well it's about time!!! So this should mean AppleTV 4 and newer should start selling on Amazon. They can no longer use the lame excuse of People being confused because it can't stream Amazon Prime content. Was there really a Amazon/Apple conflict? Everyone else is on the AppleTV. I just think the reason it took so long is Amazon trying to sell more FireTV's. At some point realized it's doing more harm then good for them. As in people aren't going to just buy a FireTV to get the service. Instead just not get Prime Service.
    williamlondonevolut
  • Reply 25 of 68
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    tjwolf said:
    Anyone know whether it's available on the older Apple TVs?  The article in the Verge a couple days ago (https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/4/16734628/apple-tv-amazon-prime-video-app-delay ) indicated that Amazon promised to make it available on all Apple TV boxes.
    3rd Gen and newer only.
    Yeah, I got 3rd-gen!  Isn't that a strange cut-off?  I mean, the big change happened with the new App Store & Siri support.  If Amazon just wanted to support "apps" (vs. the "Channels" that existed in 3rd-gen and before), I would have expected them to only support 4th-gen and later.  What's the big difference between 3rd-gen and 2nd-gen Apple TVs?

Has anyone actually seen the amazon "channel" appear on a 3rd-gen Apple TV yet?
  • Reply 26 of 68
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    lkrupp said:
    No Apple TV hardware available on Amazon yet. A search of ‘streaming devices for tv’ turns up Fire products and Roku. Search of ‘Apple TV’ turns up nothing but mounting cases, remotes, etc. You cannot buy an Apple TV on Amazon. I thought this was part of the deal. No?
    I thought the same? I checked Amazon right away this morning and saw the same thing you did..Last gen remotes and mounting kits, but no ATV hardware?? I wanted to pick one up as a gift along with a few other things...
  • Reply 27 of 68
    I’m a long time Prime subscriber and also someone who has quite a few movies in Vudu. I was so excited about both services coming to ATV but honestly, I never use the Vudu app. Especially with Movies Anywhete merging my libraries. Doubt i’ll use Prime Video often either. Don’t think I’ve ever seen any amazon original programming and movie offerings are normally things I’ve seen or already owned. Feels very anti-climatic for me. I’m happy for others though, I know it’s been a long wait. 
  • Reply 28 of 68
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    tjwolf said:
    tjwolf said:
    Anyone know whether it's available on the older Apple TVs?  The article in the Verge a couple days ago (https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/4/16734628/apple-tv-amazon-prime-video-app-delay ) indicated that Amazon promised to make it available on all Apple TV boxes.
    3rd Gen and newer only.
    Yeah, I got 3rd-gen!  Isn't that a strange cut-off?  I mean, the big change happened with the new App Store & Siri support.  If Amazon just wanted to support "apps" (vs. the "Channels" that existed in 3rd-gen and before), I would have expected them to only support 4th-gen and later.  What's the big difference between 3rd-gen and 2nd-gen Apple TVs?

1) The processor. The second gen was 720p with the A4, with the third supporting 1080p and having the A5.

2) Yes. See a comment I made a little earlier in this thread about how to force the issue.
    tjwolf
  • Reply 29 of 68
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    After a couple of hours of use I force quit the app, relaunched it and up popped a dialog to add the app to the TV app. All seems okay at this point.
  • Reply 30 of 68
    Soli said:
    So Amazon made their deadline, but it's probably buggy and missing features to make their self-imposed deadline. I just hope they fence off their free-to-stream and rentable content so they don't overlap.
    "missing features"? Well it looks like it. For one, I cannot get subtiles... although it's supposed to be supported...
  • Reply 31 of 68
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    evolut said:
    Soli said:
    So Amazon made their deadline, but it's probably buggy and missing features to make their self-imposed deadline. I just hope they fence off their free-to-stream and rentable content so they don't overlap.
    "missing features"? Well it looks like it. For one, I cannot get subtiles... although it's supposed to be supported...
    I just pulled a copy videos and it works for me.

It’s not an Amazon app setting item, but using the Apple TV UI where you swipe down from the top of the Siri Remote to switch Subtitles and Audio options.
  • Reply 32 of 68
    I see they didn’t improve the UI at all.  :|

I barely use PV so I guess it will still be that way except for a couple of shows. At least I don’t have to use a second device for the occasional PV viewing any longer. 
  • Reply 33 of 68
    Soli said:
    evolut said:
    Soli said:

It’s not an Amazon app setting item, but using the Apple TV UI where you swipe down from the top of the Siri Remote to switch Subtitles and Audio options.
    Thanks for feedback, but I am not sure I understand what you mean... You mean in Settings, right?
     I just found something related to Subtiles under "Settings > General > Accessibility", but I had that setting enabled already...
    Thanks for help!
  • Reply 34 of 68
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    evolut said:
    Soli said:
    evolut said:
    Soli said:

Thanks for feedback, but I am not sure I understand what you mean... You mean in Settings, right?
     I just found something related to Subtiles under "Settings > General > Accessibility", but I had that setting enabled already...
    Thanks for help!
    No. In any video you’re playing you swipe down from the top edge of the Siri Remote to get to Subtitles and Audio. 

I think you can change the default for these in the Apple TV Settings under Video and Audio, too, if you want the change to be the default.
  • Reply 35 of 68
    Does anyone know if there is a difference between the options: "Sign in and start watching" and "Register Apple TV Online"?
  • Reply 36 of 68
    One of my "OCD pev peeves" about Amazon video is that no matter what device I'm using (smart TV, Blu-Ray player, Fire TV Stick, iPad, Apple TV) on my 100 Mbps internet connection, the first several seconds to minute or so of the video and audio are often terrible quality. I believe Amazon does this so the content starts playing "instantly" (albeit at low quality) until enough of the stream is buffered then it switches to high quality. Netflix, Hulu, and others start streaming "instantly" for me without this annoying characteristic.
  • Reply 37 of 68
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    Does anyone know if there is a difference between the options: "Sign in and start watching" and "Register Apple TV Online"?
    The first lets you login with your remote by entering your email and password. The second lets you do the heavy lifting on your computer, so you don't have to enter a cumbersome email and password via the remote.
  • Reply 38 of 68
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    tjwolf said:
    tjwolf said:
    3rd Gen and newer only.

1) The processor. The second gen was 720p with the A4, with the third supporting 1080p and having the A5.

2) Yes. See a comment I made a little earlier in this thread about how to force the issue.
    Amazon did tweet that it would be available on the ATV 2nd gen box.
  • Reply 39 of 68
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Yeah, you have to wonder how much money they lost in potential Prime subscriptions with that spat-based decision. Doubtful they made up the difference in additional Fire TV sales.
    To be fair, it was a business decision. The same kind of apparent short sighted business decisions Apple sometimes makes. Many here want to blame this delay on Amazon solely, when there were clearly technical hurdles Apple was addressing with the ATV 4K. Add to that the HD version Amazon released for the Gen 3 device, which was likely a port of a basic Android version, and probably existed long before they needed support for auto HDR, and frame rate matching. Apple has to push the ATV 3 version, so why not offer it to customers before the 4K version was ready? Likely Apple's business decision not to undermine the 4K box and push sales. People can believe what they want but it's unlikely Apple shares no blame here.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 40 of 68
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Finally! I definitely like the UI way better on the ATV app compared to the built in Prime app on my TV.