First look: Amazon Prime Video for Apple TV launches on tvOS App Store

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    mac_128 said:
    haven't tried it yet. does it do purchases? if not i can't imagine what the delay was other than trying to use their customers as pawns in a battle with apple....
    Yeah, you have to wonder how much money they lost in potential Prime subscriptions with that spat-based decision. Doubtful they made up the difference in additional Fire TV sales.
    To be fair, it was a business decision. The same kind of apparent short sighted business decisions Apple sometimes makes. Many here want to blame this delay on Amazon solely, when there were clearly technical hurdles Apple was addressing with the ATV 4K. Add to that the HD version Amazon released for the Gen 3 device, which was likely a port of a basic Android version, and probably existed long before they needed support for auto HDR, and frame rate matching. Apple has to push the ATV 3 version, so why not offer it to customers before the 4K version was ready? Likely Apple's business decision not to undermine the 4K box and push sales. People can believe what they want but it's unlikely Apple shares no blame here.
    Right. With that logic Apple also shares the blame for not having Hulu and Netflix until now. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 62 of 68
    mac_128 said:
    haven't tried it yet. does it do purchases? if not i can't imagine what the delay was other than trying to use their customers as pawns in a battle with apple....
    Yeah, you have to wonder how much money they lost in potential Prime subscriptions with that spat-based decision. Doubtful they made up the difference in additional Fire TV sales.
    To be fair, it was a business decision. The same kind of apparent short sighted business decisions Apple sometimes makes. Many here want to blame this delay on Amazon solely, when there were clearly technical hurdles Apple was addressing with the ATV 4K. Add to that the HD version Amazon released for the Gen 3 device, which was likely a port of a basic Android version, and probably existed long before they needed support for auto HDR, and frame rate matching. Apple has to push the ATV 3 version, so why not offer it to customers before the 4K version was ready? Likely Apple's business decision not to undermine the 4K box and push sales. People can believe what they want but it's unlikely Apple shares no blame here.
    Right. With that logic Apple also shares the blame for not having Hulu and Netflix until now. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 63 of 68
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    kruegdude said:
    mac_128 said:
    That doesn't even make sense in this context.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 64 of 68
    Am I dreaming?  Halalujah!  Cannot wait to download it to my ATV3 and ATV4!  :)
  • Reply 65 of 68
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    Soli said:
    tjwolf said:
    Soli said:
    So Amazon made their deadline, but it's probably buggy and missing features to make their self-imposed deadline. I just hope they fence off their free-to-stream and rentable content so they don't overlap.
    What an arbitrary thing to say given that you probably have zero inside knowledge of Amazon's development schedule.  For all we know, the app has been sitting there ready for months or more, just waiting for Apple and Amazon to hash out the business terms.  Further calling your statement into question is the fact that they could have waited another 15+ days and still made their self-imposed deadline if they felt the code was too buggy.

So, limiting to 2.1 is neither a bug nor a missing feature, but an innovation? 

I didn't say there were no bugs.  Read, for christ sake.  I simply stated that the OP had no way of knowing what he claimed: that there were bugs because they were under a deadline.
  • Reply 66 of 68
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    tjwolf said:
    Soli said:
    tjwolf said:
    Soli said:
    So Amazon made their deadline, but it's probably buggy and missing features to make their self-imposed deadline. I just hope they fence off their free-to-stream and rentable content so they don't overlap.
    What an arbitrary thing to say given that you probably have zero inside knowledge of Amazon's development schedule.  For all we know, the app has been sitting there ready for months or more, just waiting for Apple and Amazon to hash out the business terms.  Further calling your statement into question is the fact that they could have waited another 15+ days and still made their self-imposed deadline if they felt the code was too buggy.

So, limiting to 2.1 is neither a bug nor a missing feature, but an innovation? 

I didn't say there were no bugs.  Read, for christ sake.  I simply stated that the OP had no way of knowing what he claimed: that there were bugs because they were under a deadline.
    The "OP" was me, and I didn't say "there were bugs" and missing features," I specifically stated "it's probably buggy and missing features" because that's statistically most likely from all angles…  and then you have at least one major bug that has caused it to also be a missing feature, which had also already been discussed before your original post… but I'm the one who needs to read. Triple whammy! 

PS: You're using arbitrary wrong. There was no "random choice" in my determination.
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 67 of 68
    It's hard to believe the Amazon Prime video AppleTV app is a universal app. It seems to be it's own beast, separate from the iPhone/iPad app. 

The Apple TV Gen 3 version seems to be the same.  Some pundits were confused how this would be added without  a software update, although Gen 2/3 updates and "apps" have always been server driven, not OS based.   Did they port their universal tv "web" app to both and just merge it into the existing iOS app for the Apple TV 4/4k release?

Lack of 5.1 surround sound is a disappointment. Hopefully it will be corrected soon.