Apple might use metal case for 6.1-inch LCD iPhone in 2018, report says

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2018
Apple reportedly has plans to return to a metal chassis for at least one of next year's iPhone models, a long-standing design last implemented with the iPhone 7 series in 2016.

Citing sources familiar with Apple's plans, Nikkei reports the company is mulling a metal case design for a 6.1-inch LCD model rumored to launch in 2018.

"The 6.1-inch LCD model will likely sport a metal back [like older iPhones] that will come in several colors," the person said.

The source claims Apple supplier Casetek, a subsidiary of Pegatron, would likely win orders for the LCD iPhone. Casetek already handles production of aluminum cases for iPad, and the general design of next year's iPhone could be similar -- a shallow metal frame into which operational components are laid.

A separate source also notes Casetek has been experimenting with new casing designs for the 2018 LCD iPhone. If the firm is able to finalize a suitable production process, it could link up with parent company Pegatron in fulfilling whole iPhone orders, according to an industry executive cited by the publication. The situation would be similar to that of Foxconn, which boasts its own metal parts production unit.

One of the sources reconfirmed rumors that Apple is looking to debut two new OLED handsets in 2018.

The report claims one OLED iPhone model will run 6.2 or 6.3 inches long, while the other will be 5.8 inches. Nikkei likely misinterpreted the information, however, as Apple will likely introduce a larger OLED model alongside a successor to its 5.8-inch iPhone X -- measured on the diagonal -- next year. That means the new, larger OLED model will boast a display measuring 6.2 or 6.3 inches on the diagonal.

Today's rumors are in line with predictions from noted KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo who last month revealed Apple is working on a lineup of three iPhone models for 2018. In a note to investors, Kuo said the company will release a next-generation 5.8-inch iPhone X and a plus-sized variant with a massive 6.5-inch OLED screen.

The analyst also made note of a 6.1-inch LCD model that will "differ significantly" from its OLED siblings. According to Kuo, Apple is looking to incorporate a lower resolution display to achieve a comparatively low price point between $650 and $750. Still, the low-cost model is expected to ditch Touch ID for Apple's TrueDepth camera system and Face ID, meaning the company will be able to greatly reduce bezel size.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    How will that work with wireless charging? Metal case interferes with wireless charging. This is why Apple came with glass backed iPhones. Did they come up with something that would allow wireless charging via metal or is it somehow embedded in metal?
    curtis hannahAirunJaelongpathdoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 23
    tshapitshapi Posts: 369member
    netrox said:
    How will that work with wireless charging? Metal case interferes with wireless charging. This is why Apple came with glass backed iPhones. Did they come up with something that would allow wireless charging via metal or is it somehow embedded in metal?
    It Probably won’t have wireless charging.  Think entry level.  Wireless charging on the flagship OLED models and standard charging on the entry level 
    racerhomierockdaddy22netmagealbegarc
  • Reply 3 of 23
    I know it’s fun to imagine what these rumors phones might look like, but designs that are obviously wrong and impossible are a bit annoying. 

An LCD phone with FaceID is not gonna have rounded corners or a Notch; LCDs can’t do that. 
    macpluspluschiapatchythepiratewatto_cobra1983longpathdoozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 23
    tshapitshapi Posts: 369member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I know it’s fun to imagine what these rumors phones might look like, but designs that are obviously wrong and impossible are a bit annoying. 

An LCD phone with FaceID is not gonna have rounded corners or a Notch; LCDs can’t do that. 
    Rumor has it that it will be a lcd hybrid by japan display 
    racerhomie
  • Reply 5 of 23
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    My dream is a cross between the SE and the X (no adolescent humor intended)—size and headphone jack of the SE, screen (smaller, but covering most of the front) and cameras of the X. Price somewhere in the middle, I guess. But I don’t need anyone to tell me that it’s extremely unlikely, because I know. 
    watto_cobralito_lupenaAirunJaenetrox
  • Reply 6 of 23

What in the fucking hell is the point of the third model in 2018 if the X aesthetic moves to both sizes. These analysts just don’t give a shit, do they.
    SpamSandwichdoozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 23
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Eric_WVGG said:

It can and has already been done.

But that doesn't mean Face ID will have a notch. It could be without the Notch, It could have a bezel slightly thicker from top to bottom to fit for the true depth camera.

If that is the case, assuming it has the same size as a Plus model, it will have smaller screen size, hence the 6.2".

So basically, this is an iPhone that takes cost into its design. as Face ID component has a roadmap that point to its production cost being lower that both iPhone 6s and 7 Touch ID. The LCD will likely be the same as 6s, i.e without wide color gamut.

Along side with Dual Sim, sounds like exactly why the rumours where iPhone code name "Hangzhou" designed for China.

What we have then, its an iPhone 6s Display, FaceID, new casing, likely A12, exclusively Intel Modem, and Apple charges you $650.
    Considering iPhone 6s Plus is starting at $549 this is entirely possible. And likely very profitable for Apple.

*The iPhone available in several colours is also an important hint.

Edit: Forgot to mention this iPhone will likely use Apple's homemade WiFi chip as well. Apple manage to get W1 as bluetooth, W2 with 802.11n, I expect W3 to be 802.11ac compatible. I wanted 802.11ax, but Apple seems to be very conservative with everything Wireless. And that is another ~15 dollars saving. 

edited December 2017
  • Reply 8 of 23
    cjcoopscjcoops Posts: 108member
    My dream is a cross between the SE and the X (no adolescent humor intended)—size and headphone jack of the SE, screen (smaller, but covering most of the front) and cameras of the X. Price somewhere in the middle, I guess. But I don’t need anyone to tell me that it’s extremely unlikely, because I know. 
    Mine too, apart from not caring about the headphone jack.

Wife now has the IPhone X, and I have her old 6s.

While in the store, picked up the SE... and would be very keen on an iPhone miniX - same 4" size screen but all X no bezel, no chin etc.

And replace my iPad mini with a new iPad miniX too...   ;-)
  • Reply 9 of 23
    whatif apple surprises and this 6.1” model turns out to be an ipod?
  • Reply 10 of 23
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    A step forward, a step backward. It’ll probably incorporate an A12 SoC, but no wireless charging. A bit like the last 9.7” iPad which had a faster processor than its predecessor but came in the thicker older casing, with the non-laminated display. 
  • Reply 11 of 23
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    netrox said:
    That idea is born of the internet, magnetic fields are not grossly impacted by aluminum.   

As for a metal case if the goal is durability im all for it.  
  • Reply 12 of 23
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Eric_WVGG said:

Engineering wise there is nothing to stop Apple from notching a LCD.   Face ID and the tech behind it though isnt tied to the notch, i would expect Apple to introduce new generation sensors rather quickly.   Mainly because the tech has so many applications outside of cell phones. 

Imagine an Apple car that unlocks an configures performance based on whom is sitting in the drivers seat.  Or how about a robot that keeps track of all humans it interacts with.  Not to be left out of course are iPads and Macs niether of which needs the space savings of a notch.  
  • Reply 13 of 23
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Metal back means no wireless. OLED 6.+" and 5.8" design direction is already in place so no debate but for 6.1" LCD, Apple might keep metal back but add FaceID. In 2018-19, It will be interesting what happens to 4.7",4" iphone design.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mike54 said:
    I would prefer a smaller phone as well. 
    I find it highly unlikely that Apple would abandon its small and mid-size phones... 

Actually, both my friend and her son are saying they do not want a plus sized phone.  She just doesn't want to have to deal with it and her 11 year old son thinks (correctly) that a plus would not fit well in his smaller pockets.  

I currently have a plus but don't intend to get another -- they're just too big and bulky to carry -- especially while exercising, but even just sitting at a desk I tend to take it out of my pocket and lay it on the table (I didn't have to do that with my SE sized 5).

A combination of SE and an iPad for home would be good -- except for dealing with music and maps in the car.   I could solve the car problem by upgrading to an ApplePlay radio -- but I don't intend to keep the car long enough to justify that investment.  So, when I upgrade it will probably be to a midsize (4.7") phone.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    mike54 said:
    I find it highly unlikely that Apple would abandon its small and mid-size phones... 

Actually, both my friend and her son are saying they do not want a plus sized phone.  She just doesn't want to have to deal with it and her 11 year old son thinks (correctly) that a plus would not fit well in his smaller pockets.  

I currently have a plus but don't intend to get another -- they're just too big and bulky to carry -- especially while exercising, but even just sitting at a desk I tend to take it out of my pocket and lay it on the table (I didn't have to do that with my SE sized 5).

A combination of SE and an iPad for home would be good -- except for dealing with music and maps in the car.   I could solve the car problem by upgrading to an ApplePlay radio -- but I don't intend to keep the car long enough to justify that investment.  So, when I upgrade it will probably be to a midsize (4.7") phone.
    You’d probably love the size of the X
  • Reply 16 of 23
    It’s barely larger than the 4.7” regular iPhone, so yeah, it’s okay. Anything bigger isn’t much usable.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    tshapi said:
    netrox said:
    It Probably won’t have wireless charging.  Think entry level.  Wireless charging on the flagship OLED models and standard charging on the entry level 
    Does this mean it might be a reiteration of the SE and it's being blown up as a larger Oled model?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Praying for Liquid Metal 
    caladanian
  • Reply 19 of 23
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mike54 said:

I DO!  Very much!  That would be perfect.
    ... Just can't afford it.

So, the X (or one of its children) will likely be my next, next phone (after its price comes down a bit -- or I can get an Apple Refurb)
  • Reply 20 of 23
    whatif apple surprises and this 6.1” model turns out to be an ipod?
    It's more likely to be an iPad Mini Mini than a huge iPod ¯\_(ツ)_/¯