macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 now available after a month of testing

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    macxpress said:
    Apple has already stated the iMac Pro will be available in December. Typically yeah, they don't release new products in December, but I doubt this will be a big Christmas seller. Its not meant to be a consumer end iMac as you can tell by the starting price and configuration(s). 

So, since Apple said it will be available in December, that probably means it will be available on December 31st. lol
    True, they did say that. Just like the MP from 2013. Released in its final days. Oh well, we'll see. But not everyone is happy about Apple announcing it 6 months earlier, and now leave people guessing if they can make it a 2017 investment, tax-wise. The darn machine may even be slower than the 5k iMac:

https://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2017/20171203_1918-iMacPro2017-wither.html

The moment they announced that they’d be shipping in December, it became obvious that you couldn’t count on it for the tax year, at least here: Relevant is date of delivery, not order, and these things are sure to be back-ordered. 

People can complain, but it’s not like they were left hanging and couldn’t have known this six months ago. I knew, and I’m not even in that market. 
  • Reply 22 of 30
    spheric said:
    pakitt said:
    APFS is still a half baked release. No support for Fusion drives, no support for time machine, no support for external boot drives. 
    And no Messages in the cloud yet. Among others. 
    What we really need is another set of emojis. 
    And while at it, that it just works, shall we? 
    Why do you care if a Time Machine volume is formatted in APFS or not?
    The question isn’t why one would want a Time Machine volume to be APFS, but rather, why one would want an existing APFS volume to be available for Time Machine (without reformatting). And that seems obvious (to me at least).
    I haven't been paying much attention to APFS because I have a couple apps that don't yet work with High Sierra, so please forgive my ignorance.

1. What's the deal with Time Machine? Are you saying that if I update the file system on my Mac I will also need to reformat our external Time Machine drive (which is connected via the USB port on the Apple Extreme router)?

2. Does switching to APFS mean giving up the ability to boot from an external drive?

3. Does switching to APFS mean my SMS/iMessages will no longer be stored in iCloud? That seems odd.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    spheric said:
    pakitt said:
    APFS is still a half baked release. No support for Fusion drives, no support for time machine, no support for external boot drives. 
    The question isn’t why one would want a Time Machine volume to be APFS, but rather, why one would want an existing APFS volume to be available for Time Machine (without reformatting). And that seems obvious (to me at least).
    I haven't been paying much attention to APFS because I have a couple apps that don't yet work with High Sierra, so please forgive my ignorance.

1. What's the deal with Time Machine? Are you saying that if I update the file system on my Mac I will also need to reformat our external Time Machine drive (which is connected via the USB port on the Apple Extreme router)?

2. Does switching to APFS mean giving up the ability to boot from an external drive?

3. Does switching to APFS mean my SMS/iMessages will no longer be stored in iCloud? That seems odd.
    1. Time Machine sparsebundles are not yet supported on volumes formatted as APFS. in you case, everything will work fine. 

2. If the external drive is formatted as APFS, you can’t boot from it yet. 

3. iMessages/SMS are not yet stored in iCloud regardless of the macOS version you are running. iMessages are delivered to all devices that are logged in with your iCloud account, but they are not stored in iCloud. The iMessages in iCloud is a new feature that Apple announced but not yet implemented. 
    edited December 2017 watto_cobralorin schultz
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Got official info from Apple Support: the update does NOT support APFS with FusionDrives...
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Hopefully the ‘USB device compatibility’ fixes the problem with my Scarlett USB audio interface randomly disconnecting after my iMac goes to sleep. 
  • Reply 26 of 30
    keithw said:
    This is probably a prerequisite for the iMac Pro.  Maybe it will start shipping this month...

Have they ever released a newish hardware product in December?

Are you assuming someone is in hardware release business that you ask posters that may not be?
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 27 of 30
    sirozha said:
    spheric said:
    pakitt said:

1. Time Machine sparsebundles are not yet supported on volumes formatted as APFS. in you case, everything will work fine. 

2. If the external drive is formatted as APFS, you can’t boot from it yet. 

3. iMessages/SMS are not yet stored in iCloud regardless of the macOS version you are running. iMessages are delivered to all devices that are logged in with your iCloud account, but they are not stored in iCloud. The iMessages in iCloud is a new feature that Apple announced but not yet implemented. 
    Thank you! That's really helpful, useful information! I appreciate it.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    I have the 2017 13" MacBook Pro and the 10.13.2 software update isn't working. It begins the download for a few minutes, restarts the computer and then says some of the items weren't downloaded--and asks me to do it again. Now the update is no longer visible and I still have 10.13.1. 
    Any suggestions?
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 29 of 30
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    bluefire1 said:
    I have the 2017 13" MacBook Pro and the 10.13.2 software update isn't working. It begins the download for a few minutes, restarts the computer and then says some of the items weren't downloaded--and asks me to do it again. Now the update is no longer visible and I still have 10.13.1. 
    Any suggestions?
    Try downloading the combo update from the Apple support site (this includes all updates to the original system, not just the latest) and installing that: 
    https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1944
  • Reply 30 of 30
    spheric said:
    pakitt said:
    What are you talking about? Time Machine will back up your APFS volume, if that’s what you mean, the destination volume just can’t be APFS, which is totally fine. Where’s the problem?
    edited December 2017