Honeywell Lyric home security firmware update brings Apple HomeKit compatibility

Posted:
in iPhone
Honeywell's Lyric Controller Home Security System is now certified for use with Apple's HomeKit technology, with users only needing to install a firmware update.

The Honeywell Lyric Controller uses a seven-inch touchscreen and built-in camera to arm and disarm the system. If a Lyric sensor, such as a door/window or motion detector, detects an unusual situation the controller will provide visual and audible notification to the user, in addition to a response to the user's iPhone.

With a subscription security service, the central station can contact first responders such as police or the fire department. In addition, through HomeKit, other local actions can also be triggered, such as lighting, locks and temperature controls.

Lyric Controller users can access their security systems using native authentication on iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch, including Touch ID and Face ID on iPhone X. Available sensors for the system include a smoke detector, a door or window sensor, a motion detector, and a glass-break detector. Other options include a siren, a keypad, and a two-way wireless keyfob.

The system has always used voice recognition. However, the HomeKit compatibility firmware update adds Siri to the mix for the first time in a home security system, when using an Apple TV or iPad as a HomeKit hub.

Prices vary for the system and its components. Professional installation is recommended, as is a subscription security system monitoring service.

Introduced in 2014, HomeKit allows users to connect to a variety of compatible so-called "internet of things" devices through the iOS Home app in conjunction with each other, as opposed to a series of disconnected interfaces. The addition of Siri control to HomeKit allows for complicated sequences of events to be induced from an iOS device by voice command.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Ecobee? Here!

Honeywell? Here!

Nest?... Nest?... Nest?... Nest?...
    edited December 2017 StrangeDays
  • Reply 2 of 8
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    zroger73 said:
    Ecobee? Here!

Honeywell? Here!

Nest?... Nest?... Nest?... Nest?...
    For whatever reason, Google doesn't want anything to do with homekit. I assume it's to better push Google Home? The Ecobee just withen a few weeks ago started Supporting Google Home. It already supported everyone else. I recently gotten a Ecobee 4 and one of the reasons was because of Homekit support. Besides the remote temp sensors, and not Google spying on my in my house. I did just get a Google Home Mini. Why not at $30 currently. It's the Google/Amazon Mini fight. It's a ok device. It works pretty good for what little I've used it as I just got it yesterday. The Ecobee 4 gives me Alexa support. So I can play around with all 3. Right now, it's easier to control my Ecobee using Siri, then it is using Alexa!!! I thought it kind of strange that I had to go to Amazon and setup a Ecobee skill just to use the Ecobee that it's a part of. Using Siri, it knows what I'm talking about better then Alexa does when I go and do something on the Ecobee. Alexa, You're telling it or Asking it to use the Ecobee. Siri is just more Natural.

I haven't tried on the Mini yet. I'm a Homekit house, and so the only thing I can test Alexa or Google Home Mini on is the Ecobee 4. Next year there will be a hub for my blinds I just automated giving me voice control and that will be something else I can test them all with. Asking some questions between Google Home and Siri, I was getting similar results. Watched Modern Family last night and noticed a NEST on the wall in Jay Pritchett house. A White One.
    edited December 2017 zroger73
  • Reply 3 of 8
    jbdragon said:
    zroger73 said:
    Ecobee? Here!

Honeywell? Here!

Nest?... Nest?... 
    Next year there will be a hub for my blinds I just automated giving me voice control and that will be something else I can test them all with.
    I have a Honeywell Lyric thermostat that works pretty well with HomeKit.  

What at kind of blinds/how did you automate them? I’ve been looking into Serena blinds but they’re pricey. As an example, I would like one for a small, basement window (it’s about 2 feet wide and 1 foot tall) and the Serena blind is over $400 for that window alone. 
  • Reply 4 of 8
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    will have to look into. my house has a security system monitored by a local company. the main system board in the closet is of honeywell origin i believe...perhaps it can or will be able to hook up to HK.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Note that a zero-day iOS Homekit exploit has been reported to Apple. "The most serious ramification of this vulnerability prior to the fix is unauthorized remote control of smart locks and connected garage door openers... The vulnerability required at least one iPhone or iPad on iOS 11.2, the latest version of Apple’s mobile operating system, connected to the HomeKit user’s iCloud account; earlier versions of iOS were not affected."

To deal with it Apple has put a temporary server side fix in place with a permanent fix scheduled to sometime next week in another iOS11 point update.
    Apple's statement:
    “The issue affecting HomeKit users running iOS 11.2 has been fixed. The fix temporarily disables remote access to shared users, which will be restored in a software update early next week.”

FWIW I enjoy a certain level of home automation myself: room lights, TV/video, heat and A/C, security cameras.... I personally draw the line at giving smart devices a key to my front door. 

EDIT: AppleInsider has an article up with more information
    https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/203119/homekit-flaw-in-ios-11-2-allowed-remote-access-to-smart-devices-temporary-fix-already-in#latest
    edited December 2017 jony0
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Sigh... still waiting on Homekit for Vista systems...

(And don't bring up wired bridges for Lyric or especially homebridge-envisakit - I've spent WAY too much time trying to get that thing going...)
  • Reply 7 of 8
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    jbdragon said:
    zroger73 said:
    Ecobee? Here!

Honeywell? Here!

Nest?... Nest?... 
    Next year there will be a hub for my blinds I just automated giving me voice control and that will be something else I can test them all with.

What at kind of blinds/how did you automate them? I’ve been looking into Serena blinds but they’re pricey. As an example, I would like one for a small, basement window (it’s about 2 feet wide and 1 foot tall) and the Serena blind is over $400 for that window alone. 
    @ihatescreennames I am thinking about buying a Honeywell Lyric panel. 

Are you still enjoying the Lyric?

Can you trigger HomeKit scenes from the Lyric panel?

do you have more that one panel?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    polymnia said:
    jbdragon said:
    zroger73 said:
    Ecobee? Here!

Honeywell? Here!

Nest?... Nest?... 

@ihatescreennames I am thinking about buying a Honeywell Lyric panel. 

Are you still enjoying the Lyric?

Can you trigger HomeKit scenes from the Lyric panel?

do you have more that one panel?
    Currently I have 1 thermostat, it’s in the basement. I’m considering replacing my two Nests with Lyric as well, mostly because Lyric is HomeKit/Siri compatible and Neat isn’t. 

As as far as I know scenes cannot be triggered from the thermostat. However, the thermostat can be added to scenes which I think is very nice. My “Good Night” scene turns off a bunch of lights, activates my alarm system and sets the Lyric to a low temperature. My “It’s Movie Time” scene dims some lights in our home theater, turns some lights off and sets the heat to 70. 

The only trouble i have is the thermostat sometimes doesn’t communicate with Home. The fix is simple, all I have to do is open the Lyric app and that typically resolves the issue.