Apple hires veteran producer Michelle Lee to help oversee original TV shows

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Take that, Amazon Studios. Hopefully they can greenlight and develop some successful programs!
    If Apple is only making family friendly shows, Amazon Studios has nothing to worry about. 
    Disney doesn’t have to make R-rated features to give other studios competition at the box office.
    That's different. Apple isn't making movies, they are making TV shows. Different competition. 
  • Reply 22 of 27
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    [..]
    Yeah, being a shareholder, I'd like to see them do better. I'm sure they have lots of research on what can be successful or not and potentially make money. But with art, it's not a science. I won't "dial back" talk of "PC", thanks. I know open expression of thoughts scares some people, but I'll give credit to the users of this site. They're not infantilized milksops.
    You can talk about the merits of being something being "PC" as much as you want, but your original post is pretty flippant -- just cutting it off before you rile up the local troublemakers and I have to take more time out of my day to moderate another thread full of lunacy.

[...]
    I should have given more examples. I'm not necessarily talking about violence. My comments apply to comedy as well. A company like Apple could never make a Seinfeld, The Golden Girls, Cheers, Cosby Show or Curb Your Enthusiasm.
    I could see them do Cosby, Cheers, or Seinfeld without any problems. There's also plenty of interesting sci-fi they could do -- a-la star trek or Stargate -- that would have the potential to be good. I think they could go up to PG-13ish content and it wouldn't change the perception of their brand at all. You just won't get R-rated content from them.

• Reply 23 of 27
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Take that, Amazon Studios. Hopefully they can greenlight and develop some successful programs!
    If Apple is only making family friendly shows, Amazon Studios has nothing to worry about. 
    Because Disney, Pixar, Nickelodeon, etc make no money and have zero weight in the industry.

Because shows like Flash, Agents of SHIELD, Dr. Who, Big Bang Theory, etc needs sex and gore like GoT to be successful.

If Apple executes well there plenty of PG/PG-13 drama, action, romance, comedy potential.

• Reply 24 of 27
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Disney doesn’t have to make R-rated features to give other studios competition at the box office.
    That's different. Apple isn't making movies, they are making TV shows. Different competition. 
    Disney has an asston of tv programming that is wildly more successful than Amazon Prime programming.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Why is programming only good if it has sex.violence and foul language?
  • Reply 26 of 27
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Why is programming only good if it has sex.violence and foul language?
    1) Because limiting an extensive lexicon and concepts at the expense of the story makes for poorer entertainment.

2) Language is only foul because you choose to be offended by it. Usually I see people find fuck!, shit!, and goddammit! as expressions to be offensive despite the context not referring to fornication, excrement, or religion, but then are perfectly fine with using roundabout ways to express bigotry, which has a very clear context. IOW, fucking myopic dispirit hypocrites.

3) 

4) 

5) 
    edited December 2017 allmypeople