LG Display hints at deal to begin making OLED panels for Apple's iPhone X

Posted:
in iPhone
LG Display may be on the verge of providing display panels for the iPhone X, entering Apple's OLED supply chain earlier than expected and reducing dependence on Samsung.

"Regarding the OLED supply deal for Apple's iPhone X, nothing has been set in detail," the company wrote in a regulatory filing seen by The Korea Herald. "When anything is confirmed in detail, we will announce it, or [otherwise an announcement will be made] in a month."

The Korea Exchange asked LG to provide clarification following a local media story claiming it had already signed a deal with Apple, and was installing production equipment at its Paju E6 assembly line. It was even said that manufacturing would start in June, fulfilling an order for 60 million panels.

As recently as September, reports suggested that LG would probably be unable to make Apple OLED panels in any substantial quantity until 2019. The company may have been given a $2.7 billion boost from Apple in July, though, and in November it announced plans to spend $13.7 billion on OLED for TVs and mobile devices through 2020 -- with most of the money going to smartphones.

At the moment Samsung is the exclusive supplier of OLED panels for the iPhone X, being the only firm with enough production capacity to meet Apple demands. The company has been using OLED panels on its phones for years, including curved ones on devices like the Galaxy S8.

Apple is rumored to be preparing two OLED iPhones for 2018: a 5.8-inch model like the iPhone X, and a massive 6.2- to 6.5-inch design that would go toe-to-toe with Samsung's biggest phones. It may also be working on a 6.1-inch LCD iPhone, which could have a metal back.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    LG just announced V30 based OLED phone for $1800, limited quantities. Possibly a pre-production iPhone OLED run and used into real phone to prove LG's OLED on par with iPhone X.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    wood1208 said:
    LG just announced V30 based OLED phone for $1800, limited quantities. Possibly a pre-production iPhone OLED run and used into real phone to prove LG's OLED on par with iPhone X.
    Is that the same V30 as the previous one? Because the one announced in IFA and out in October is not priced at $1800.

And it has a shit OLED screen.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    ksec said:
    wood1208 said:
    Is that the same V30 as the previous one? Because the one announced in IFA and out in October is not priced at $1800.

And it has a shit OLED screen.

Yup, it is the same as previous V30, but with higher storage and better aesthetics and available only within South Korea. LG made only 300 of them, so they don't need to fool more than 300 people in South Korea.

I don't think it is a pre-production iPhone OLED. There is no way Apple would settle for such a mediocre display. Even OnePlus did not settle for it, only Google settled for it for Pixel 2 XL since LG themselves were the manufacturers.

edited December 2017 1STnTENDERBITS
  • Reply 4 of 13

I don't think it is a pre-production iPhone OLED. There is no way Apple would settle for such a mediocre display. Even OnePlus did not settle for it, only Google settled for it for Pixel 2 XL since LG themselves were the manufacturers.

Let's hope not. The screen is the only thing that kept me from getting the Pixel 2 XL.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Oh lord, I’m really concerned here. With iPhone X production rising substantially,, is this really needed at this time? Concerns about LG OLED quality are real. What about this would change that? I know that the panels Samsung produces have Apple technology inside, as Apple confirmed that. But still, Samsung seems to have the quality issues figured out.

from what I see of LG’s screens, they have not.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Will there be one of those, make sure to check your iPhone for a Samesung Screen and not a LG screen type of thing? Kind of like with the modems now, and CPU's in the past. I'm sure like Samesung made screens, that the LG ones would also be up to Apple's Specs. I like the size of the iPhone X screen and phone overall. Do we really want to head into the $1500 iPhone market because of a larger OLED screen? Not me, I have a new 12.9" iPad Pro for my big screen needs. Which replaced my 5 year old iPad 3. I'm using a iPhone 6 which I'm now past my 3rd year of using. So I hold onto my devices for quite some time. I have a Original Apple Watch also. I'm on the fence of Upgrading to a Apple Watch 3 without LTE or holding out until the Apple Watch 4. All the Apple Watches have OLED screens.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    I might have upgraded to Apple Watch 3 but they don't have WiFi in Stainless Steel so I will see what comes out next year. Not interested in LTE or a red dot.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    melgross said:
    Oh lord, I’m really concerned here. With iPhone X production rising substantially,, is this really needed at this time? Concerns about LG OLED quality are real. What about this would change that? I know that the panels Samsung produces have Apple technology inside, as Apple confirmed that. But still, Samsung seems to have the quality issues figured out.

Apple tech confirmed inside?  Are you referring to Apple's color calibration software?  I'm asking because what I know about creating OLED panels doesn't really allow for "tech inside".  Not that I'm an expert or anything.  Can you clarify?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    melgross said:

Apple tech confirmed inside?  Are you referring to Apple's color calibration software?  I'm asking because what I know about creating OLED panels doesn't really allow for "tech inside".  Not that I'm an expert or anything.  Can you clarify?
    I guess Mel is talking about integration of 3d touch technology to the display which is not there in Samsung phones. 
    RacerhomieX
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Well, guess I will have to bite the bullet and purchase the X sooner rather than later. I would much prefer a Samsung produced screen versus one made by LG. 
    mazda 3s
  • Reply 11 of 13
    RacerhomieXRacerhomieX Posts: 95unconfirmed, member
    It is not a TSMC Apple A11 . It is not a Samsung display. Its an Apple designed display. It looks like an iPhone display. 3D touch and DCI P3 color calibration.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Opinion about which one to choose, Lg vs Samsung OLED display in iPhone. We need to understand, at the end if Apple approves, it is all good. No one can fly under radar with inferior components under Apple's strict quality spec approval.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    At the present time, Samsung makes the best AMOLED panels period. LG is several years behind. There is no way LG will achieve parity with Samsung by 2018. Not 2019 either. It’s going to take another 3 to 4 years minimum to achieve what Samsung is doing now. By then, Samsung will have have advanced the technology even further. 

LG has a lot of ground to cover to catch Samsung. 

Anyone notice that Samsung has passed Intel to become the largest semiconductor manufacturer on the globe? And that Samsung recently announced huge levels of investment into advancing their technologies further? 

LG has little chance of catching Samsung. Apple needed to have approached LG 3 to 4 years ago. It’s now too late. LG will own the large panel OLED television market while Samsung will dominate the AMOLED market for small screen devices. The Chinese and Japanese have no chance of even catching LG, much less Samsung at this time. Even Sony has had to capitulate and is buying OLED panels for its Bravia line from LG. 

Apple is invested into microLED and it could prove to be a disruptive technology. However, by the time Apple is able to bring it to mass production, Samsung’s OLED advancements might render the development moot. 

Apple is going to be dependent on Samsung for advanced display panels for a very long time. LG is at a point where Samsung was in small panel OLED technology 5 years ago. That’s a lot of ground to make up.