SiriusXM radio comes to native Apple TV app

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
SiriusXM on Thursday launched an app for the fourth-generation Apple TV and the Apple TV 4K, granting access to the satellite radio service's live and on-demand content.

The app uses an interface specially designed for the Apple TV, with bigger artwork and a different control scheme than its iPhone and iPad counterpart. As elsewhere though, listeners can customize music and comedy channels via MySXM, set favorite channels and shows, and resume On Demand content from where they left off on another streaming device.

The app requires either a streaming-only or All Access subscription, costing $15.99 or $20.99 per month. A temporary promotion is offering six months of streaming for $30.

SiriusXM just recently brought its service to CarPlay, providing an alternative for people who don't have satellite access in their vehicle or would simply prefer to use their connected iPhone. The CarPlay app is even simpler, being designed to use on the road.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    So there is zero free content?!  Even the XM in cars give free content to the XM promotion station and then you can even get a few weeks of full service free periodically...
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I like Sirius XM in my car, but was really pissed when I found out they charge extra to get the same content via your iPhone or Mac. I refuse to do it. This is what happens when there is no competition. Feds should never have allowed Sirius and XM to merge. It’s a monopoly. 
    edited December 2017 jahbladelawjollabonobob
  • Reply 3 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    I like Sirius XM in my car, but was really pissed when I found out they charge extra to get the same content via your iPhone or Mac. I refuse to do it. This is what happens when there is no competition. Feds should never have allowed Sirius and XM to merge. It’s a monopoly. 
    Yep, it's why I ditched Sirius after the intro period with my car despite the 6/$30 promotion -- because the 630 deal was only for the in-car receiver. If you want to listen on your PC or mobile, they insist on adding more fees for streaming. It added up to more than just paying for Apple Music for the household. Plus with XM it's "station" streaming only, I couldn't pull down music on demand, or integrate it with my local music collection. So the value proposition is less than AM, yet they won't offer it for less than AM. This seems like a losing strategy for them.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Are you on a free subscription or are you paying? I'm on a free subscription from a vehicle I purchased last year and it includes online for free. 
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Are you on a free subscription or are you paying? I'm on a free subscription from a vehicle I purchased last year and it includes online for free. 
    After the free period runs out, they won't give you the online access unless you pay extra for it. Even their promo offers charge more for it than the one-car offers.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    After the free period runs out, they won't give you the online access unless you pay extra for it. Even their promo offers charge more for it than the one-car offers.
    I found the offers, plans, deals all very confusing. I too got a 6mos subscription with a new car. The service is...ok. I decided to opt for the in-car only subscription for a year for like $99, and did this before I switched to an unlimited t-mobile plan. I will almost for sure drop the SiriusXM subscription when it runs out. I suspect that SiriusXM is getting a lot of competition from streaming services like Apple Music. But of course, if you're in a very rural area, the satellite link is likely quite valuable.

I really have no use for AppleTV version or online version. Worthless to me.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    thewbthewb Posts: 79member
    Is the sound quality of the online version as awful as the satellite version is in my car?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Curiously, you can listen for free on their web site. https://player.siriusxm.com/#/player/live
    I don't know if there is a time limit, but I listened most of today with no login or any evidence that they are tracking me. The quality seems better than the satellite version. I don't know how they can stay in business with the rise of unlimited cell data plans. They do have good hosted shows, lots of live coverage of festivals, and good interviews & studio sessions with musicians. I pay $11/mo for it because the wife likes it.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    thewb said:
    Is the sound quality of the online version as awful as the satellite version is in my car?
    I don't know about the ATV version since I haven't tried it, but the built in app on my receiver sounds great. Same with the iPhone app. 
  • Reply 10 of 12

I'm not sure what I'll do when my free period runs out. My trial surprisingly lasts 6 years. 
  • Reply 11 of 12
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member

I'm not sure what I'll do when my free period runs out. My trial surprisingly lasts 6 years. 
    Wow! What did you buy?