Apple supplier Finisar to scale VCSEL production, suggests Face ID coming to all iPhones i...

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2017
Apple's second largest supplier of vertical cavity surface emitting laser (VCSEL) arrays, Finisar, announced the acquisition of a 700,000-square foot plant on Thursday, a move that suggests TrueDepth and Face ID are coming to all iPhones in 2018.

Finisar announced the purchase on Thursday during an earnings report covering the October 2017 quarter, reports Loup Ventures analyst Gene Munster. The plant located in Sherman, Tex., is expected to become operational in the second half of 2018 and will allow the firm to greatly expand output for companies like Apple.

Given the timing of the Sherman plant acquisition and subsequent go live date, and considering other financial revelations, Apple is likely preparing to incorporate TrueDepth and Face ID into all 2018 iPhone models, Munster said.

Apple utilizes VCSEL arrays to power the TrueDepth camera and, subsequently, Face ID in iPhone X. Sometimes referred to as structured light modules, VCSEL components make up the dot projector in Apple's 3D modeling apparatus, which also includes an infrared flood illuminator, and infrared camera and color cameras.

Finisar revealed VCSEL revenue was in the "low-single-digit millions" for the quarter, but that figure is anticipated to grow to "tens of millions" of dollars per quarter starting in January, Munster said. The analyst notes that once the firm's operation is at full capacity, it will see revenues from VCSEL sales hit $30 million. By comparison, Lumentum, Apple's largest VCSEL supplier, saw revenues hit $40 million in September quarter.

Judging by Finisar's announcements, Munster believes the firm received final qualification from Apple, meaning large quantity shipments should begin next year. The additional VCSEL output will not only go toward next-generation iPhones, but also help alleviate current iPhone X supply constraints thought to be tied in part to the TrueDepth camera system.

Munster's predictions echo those of well-connected KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who last month said Apple would completely ditch Touch ID for Face ID with its 2018 iPhone lineup. Kuo believes Apple is preparing a trio of handsets for release next year, including a refreshed iPhone X, a massive 6.5-inch OLED variant and 6.1-inch LCD model aimed at budget-minded buyers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Sooo … they’re not going to put TouchID on the back of the phone then. 
    GeorgeBMac[Deleted User]williamhleavingthebiggStrangeDayspatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 37
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I hope they decide to add multi face login in the next version, this was a big issue for me.

Personally I sold the iPhone X I bought and got an iPhone 8 instead, I prefer Touch ID.

But I can see how it will improve over time and it looks like I won't have any choice next upgrade anyway.
    edited December 2017 rotateleftbyteavon b7
  • Reply 3 of 37
    I love face ID , you can use it even in the dark which is very usefull , the touch ID couldn't be used if you had your finger dirty . i would like to get an app like http://xyphersoftware.com/ do . Will be very usefull.
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 37
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I love face ID , you can use it even in the dark which is very usefull , the touch ID couldn't be used if you had your finger dirty . i would like to get an app like http://xyphersoftware.com/ do . Will be very usefull.
    TouchId REALLY sucks if you're wearing gloves.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Interesting but if the combined revenues are only 70 to 80 million a year those lasers are probably selling for less than a dollar each.  Not exactly something to propel the company into the big leagues.  
  • Reply 6 of 37
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    If I am Apple, I would continue making touchID iphones(4.7",5.5") but at lower cost to capture and keep mid-tier phone market. Right now, Apple's mid-tier user base is based on refurbished/used($200-$500) iphones. By offering touchid mid-tier phones, Apple even capture low-tier market with used ($100-$300) for those who can not afford iphones. This way for android phone manufacturers have no way to run or hide.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    saarek said:
    I hope they decide to add multi face login in the next version, this was a big issue for me.

Personally I sold the iPhone X I bought and got an iPhone 8 instead, I prefer Touch ID.

But I can see how it will improve over time and it looks like I won't have any choice next upgrade anyway.
    I like touchID too.    I think there will be one more new TouchID/LCD phone(iPhone 9/9plus) next year in addition to iPhone XI/iPHone XIplus
    along with the currently existing X/8/8plus/7/7plus.   Noticed how Apple jumped two numbers from 8 to X.   Of course the design of the 9 will
    be the same as the 8 (but that's ok).   The XI will look the same as the X but will add more colors.

Edit: or so I hope
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 8 of 37
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Based on the popularity of the iPhone 8 I don’t think Apple gives a shit what the nerd class in forums think about Face ID or the Notch. We keep hearing from that cadre how they will ‘take a pass’ or ‘not for me’ or ‘I’ll wait until (insert favorite nerd desire). Then the sales and profit numbers are reported and they look strangely out of touch.
    edited December 2017 tmay
  • Reply 9 of 37
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

And Face ID REALLY sucks if you’re wearing a ski mask.  o:)
    edited December 2017 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 10 of 37
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    They need to get FaceID onto all new iPhones, iPads and MacBook Pros too.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Face ID really sucks when wearing a full face crash helmet. It is far quicker and easier to take one glove off than it is to take the helmet off.
    My brother has one and hates it so much that he sold the 'X' and bought an '8'.

Swings and Roundabouts perhaps?

Personally I prefer TouchID but each to their own.
    It looks like I'll be on the lookout for a used iPhone 8 next fall.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Among billions of phone users every minute; how many of them wearing helmet or hand gloves while using their phone ?  Between two, more people wearing hand gloves in winter need to use phone than helmets any time. So, faceid serves better than touchid in unusual situation.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Not if the tip of your nose is one of your registered prints. ;)
  • Reply 14 of 37
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    I love everything about the iPhone X except FaceId. It isn’t a deal breaker but I don’t love it. The problem is I’m very near sighted. When I use the iPhone X without corrective lenses, I have to hold the phone too close to my face for FaceId to work. It can be frustrating. It always works on the second attempt when I hold the iPhone further away from my face but needing a second attempt is added friction. 

I wouldn’t trade my iPhone X for an 8 but I would love a TouchId sensor under the screen. 
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Face ID really sucks when wearing a full face crash helmet. It is far quicker and easier to take one glove off than it is to take the helmet off.

Apple probably realised that there are far more people with gloves than crash helmets. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 16 of 37

jdb8167 said:
    I love everything about the iPhone X except FaceId. It isn’t a deal breaker but I don’t love it. The problem is I’m very near sighted. When I use the iPhone X without corrective lenses, I have to hold the phone too close to my face for FaceId to work. It can be frustrating. It always works on the second attempt when I hold the iPhone further away from my face but needing a second attempt is added friction. 

I think this is subtle humour, yes?

• Reply 17 of 37
    FaceID is great technology solving a problem that doesn't exist. Animoebi (or: -oji) tries to draw attention from that, but even Craig has ceased using it now. So it remains questionable if more appropriate (or either killer-) apps for it will appear. Otherwise, it may very well become the ToolBar of 2017
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 18 of 37
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member

That's exactly as I see it too. Swings and roundabouts. As of today I still prefer touch ID but if the X had something truly compelling for me, FaceID wouldn't be a massive deal breaker.

I would like multi face support and the ability to lock down specific apps to specific users.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    Bacillus3 said:
    FaceID is great technology solving a problem that doesn't exist. Animoebi (or: -oji) tries to draw attention from that, but even Craig has ceased using it now. So it remains questionable if more appropriate (or either killer-) apps for it will appear. Otherwise, it may very well become the ToolBar of 2017
    Face ID has a better fit with the AI future. Think conversational UI, emotion aware, privacy context, etc.
    It is also continuous and more secure. The phone can snapshot your Face ID anytime without getting intrusive. Touch ID would be really annoying if it happens periodically.

Touch ID is more primitive. First gen Face ID works better than first gen Touch ID too because the former has more data points to work with, and the hardware is more sophisticated.

Given time, Face ID is the way to go in general. Touch ID, or other factors like user behavior and usage patterns can be secondary factors.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    lkrupp said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Based on the popularity of the iPhone 8 I don’t think Apple gives a shit what the nerd class in forums think about Face ID or the Notch. We keep hearing from that cadre how they will ‘take a pass’ or ‘not for me’ or ‘I’ll wait until (insert favorite nerd desire). Then the sales and profit numbers are reported and they look strangely out of touch.
    Then I think we can say that Apple’s core market is people who can adapt. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra