Apple celebrates holidays with Beer Bash featuring Gwen Stefani

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2017
To ring in the holidays, Apple on Friday invited employees to attend a semi-annual Beer Bash at its Cupertino, Calif., campus, where singer Gwen Stefani showed up to perform a few cuts off her new holiday album.

Following the event, Apple CEO Tim Cook posted a short message to Stefani on Twitter, thanking her for joining in the festivities.

"A huge thanks @gwenstefani for celebrating the holidays with us and performing from your new holiday album. It was B-A-N-A-N-A-S!" Cook wrote, referencing Stefani's 2004 hit "Hollaback Girl."

Stefani replied, thanking both Cook and Apple Music for making her Christmas "even better." She appended the missive with the hashtag #youmakeitfeellikechristmas. The pop star also published a short clip of her performance in which Cook can be seen bopping in the background.

A number of Apple employees who were at the Beer Bash posted their own accounts of the concert, including photos of Stefani's performance, to social media outlets like Twitter and Instagram.

Apple's Beer Bash, which is currently held at the quad at One Infinite Loop, is a unique employee perk. A semi-annual event, the company recently celebrated its 40th anniversary last year with a Beer Bash featuring Zane Lowe and the Beats 1 crew. In 2014, the company put on Beer Bash events to commemorate 30 years of Mac and to kick off WWDC 2014.

While no announcement has been made, future Beer Bash gatherings will likely be hosted at Apple Park, perhaps on the campus' rolling green hills or inside its main "spaceship" building.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    No Apple didn't envite all employees.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Wow Apple is not cool, Stefani.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    It would be nice if they found a way to do something like that for their retail employees too. Really awesome though.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Hmm... I always pictured Apple more as wine and cheese, and Microsft as beer bash, but whatever. :)
    glynh
  • Reply 5 of 45
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    tenchi211 said:
    It would be nice if they found a way to do something like that for their retail employees too. Really awesome though.
    How would they do that, fly everybody to a central location?   Plus you have the fact that most retail employees havent reached the drinking age yet.  

By the way this doesn't mean that Apple should do nothing for retail, rather it just recognizing the spread out nature of the stores.  Maybe a gift certificate to the local pizza joint are in order.  
  • Reply 6 of 45
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

cgWerks said:
    Hmm... I always pictured Apple more as wine and cheese, and Microsft as beer bash, but whatever. :)
    In todays legal environment where the server of the alcohol is responsible, Apple likely watered the beer down to the point where you would likely have to completely over indulge to get drunk.  The reality here is that many companies have completeky given up on supporting parties where alcohol is served.    Doing so avoids connection with serious crimes like drunk driving, but also avoids social interaction problems that have been turned into crimes.  

By the way i don't agree with the way our culture has turned here.   People should be held responsible for their behavior, directing blame on others never solves a problem.   The current trends with harrasment means it could be ten years later before a company hears anything.   It is a sad world we live in?    
    cgWerksentropys
  • Reply 7 of 45
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Oh so this is why we don't have a new Mac mini, Mac Pro, HomePod, or iMac Pro..... /s
    observationist
  • Reply 8 of 45
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Is that Tim Cook in the background behind Stefani? Kinda blurry?
  • Reply 9 of 45
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    spice-boy said:
    Thank you for your opinion, Mr. Negatvie.
    macxpressRacerhomieXnetmage
  • Reply 10 of 45
    If this fit the pattern of where I used to work, mass firings would always follow a party. Every. Single. Time.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    lkrupp said:
    Yes it is.
    spice-boy said:
    What makes that not cool? Maybe you don't like her work, but why does that constitute Apple as "not cool"? The fact that Apple can get any artist to come and perform specially for them out of their busy schedule is just a nice gesture to their corporate employees who work so hard throughout the year. At least they do something nice for them every once in a while. 
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 12 of 45
    macxpress said:
    Oh so this is why we don't have a new Mac mini, Mac Pro, HomePod, or iMac Pro..... /s
    Funny... good stuff.  :D
  • Reply 13 of 45
    wizard69 said:
    tenchi211 said:
    How would they do that, fly everybody to a central location?   Plus you have the fact that most retail employees havent reached the drinking age yet.  

By the way this doesn't mean that Apple should do nothing for retail, rather it just recognizing the spread out nature of the stores.  Maybe a gift certificate to the local pizza joint are in order.  
    Yes, I understand that they couldn't do exactly this kind of thing for the retail staff, just something along the lines of them also getting a celebratory day as well. I totally get the logistics of a concert would be impossible. 
  • Reply 14 of 45
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    wizard69 said:

cgWerks said:
    In todays legal environment where the server of the alcohol is responsible, Apple likely watered the beer down to the point where you would likely have to completely over indulge to get drunk.  The reality here is that many companies have completeky given up on supporting parties where alcohol is served.    Doing so avoids connection with serious crimes like drunk driving, but also avoids social interaction problems that have been turned into crimes.  

By the way i don't agree with the way our culture has turned here.   People should be held responsible for their behavior, directing blame on others never solves a problem.   The current trends with harrasment means it could be ten years later before a company hears anything.   It is a sad world we live in?    
    Yea, that might be the case, and I agree it would be wise to just not serve alcohol at such an event at all. (I remember one of my first jobs while I was in college, the small company I worked for had a summer picnic and the ONLY drink they had available was a keg of beer!).

(--  And, re: recent harassment stuff - not to get too off topic here, but it does really concern me. On the one hand, I've been disgusted by the way even the 'average' guy talks and jokes about women (let alone the creeps) all too often. On the other, is it really a prosecutable, or job-ruining offense if a guy makes an awkward pick-up line or something? Especially given that a lot of the behavior is actually encouraged so long as the woman finds the guy attractive or is actually interested in such advances?

Even my wife (works in HR/labour relations) who has been a strong advocate for getting rid of this kind of stuff is starting to think it has gone way too far. She has already had to represent a few cases where the guy has lost a job over quite shaky testimony, because the employer/contractor doesn't want to take any chances. It has become a witch-hunt. Also, while I would believe most of the women, I've also known some truly wicked manipulative women who will use this for all it's worth, and likely quite effectively.  --)

• Reply 15 of 45
    lkrupp said:
    It's called bokeh...
    jcs2305SpamSandwich
  • Reply 16 of 45
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    cgWerks said:
    wizard69 said:

cgWerks said:

Yea, that might be the case, and I agree it would be wise to just not serve alcohol at such an event at all. (I remember one of my first jobs while I was in college, the small company I worked for had a summer picnic and the ONLY drink they had available was a keg of beer!).

(--  And, re: recent harassment stuff - not to get too off topic here, but it does really concern me. On the one hand, I've been disgusted by the way even the 'average' guy talks and jokes about women (let alone the creeps) all too often. On the other, is it really a prosecutable, or job-ruining offense if a guy makes an awkward pick-up line or something? Especially given that a lot of the behavior is actually encouraged so long as the woman finds the guy attractive or is actually interested in such advances?

Even my wife (works in HR/labour relations) who has been a strong advocate for getting rid of this kind of stuff is starting to think it has gone way too far. She has already had to represent a few cases where the guy has lost a job over quite shaky testimony, because the employer/contractor doesn't want to take any chances. It has become a witch-hunt. Also, while I would believe most of the women, I've also known some truly wicked manipulative women who will use this for all it's worth, and likely quite effectively.  --)

Actually they have very good beer at Apple Beer Bash events and they generally host them once a quarter or around product announcements. These Beer Bashes have been going on for a very long time, I remember going to a few when I worked for Apple in 2000/2001 and everyone was having a good time and drinking in moderation. They also serve wine. There is also a very large buffet style of delicious food.

I am curious to see where they host the Beer Bash events at Apple Park since the inside of the ring is almost covered in trees.
    cgWerksfastasleepnetmage
  • Reply 17 of 45
    If this fit the pattern of where I used to work, mass firings would always follow a party. Every. Single. Time.
    Throwing parties is probably a good way to weed out that kind of thing. Parties might be good for productivity, in a sense.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    lkrupp said:
    spice-boy said:
    Thank you for your opinion, Mr. Negatvie.
    Oh you're welcome and I'm sure you will post your opinion occasionally here too. 
  • Reply 19 of 45

spice-boy
    said:
    What makes that not cool? Maybe you don't like her work, but why does that constitute Apple as "not cool"? The fact that Apple can get any artist to come and perform specially for them out of their busy schedule is just a nice gesture to their corporate employees who work so hard throughout the year. At least they do something nice for them every once in a while. 
    Stefani is just another corporate shill. When you mean her work are you talking about her commercials for cosmetic and hair companies? Most young people would not recognize her as a singing artist, she has not done anything in music for decades. Apple for all it's great products is certainly not contributors to culture. Apple is safe, mainstream like Disney however at least Disney still produces decent R rated movies through it subsidies where Apple is more Disney than Disney.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    wizard69 said:

cgWerks said:

How do you water down a keg? What a bizarre setup for a completely unrelated rant. 
    1STnTENDERBITSStrangeDays