Apple celebrates holidays with Beer Bash featuring Gwen Stefani

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    fastasleep said:
    How do you water down a keg? What a bizarre setup for a completely unrelated rant. 
    It's possible, but if the goal were as stated, they could also just buy lower alcohol % 'watery' beer in the first place.
    (I think the 'watered down' comes more from mixed drinks and is just applied to beer taps as an accusation.)
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 22 of 45

spice-boy said:

spice-boy
    said:
    Wow Apple is not cool, Stefani.
    What makes that not cool? Maybe you don't like her work, but why does that constitute Apple as "not cool"? The fact that Apple can get any artist to come and perform specially for them out of their busy schedule is just a nice gesture to their corporate employees who work so hard throughout the year. At least they do something nice for them every once in a while. 
    Stefani is just another corporate shill. When you mean her work are you talking about her commercials for cosmetic and hair companies? Most young people would not recognize her as a singing artist, she has not done anything in music for decades. Apple for all it's great products is certainly not contributors to culture. Apple is safe, mainstream like Disney however at least Disney still produces decent R rated movies through it subsidies where Apple is more Disney than Disney.
    Decades? FTFA: “Gwen Stefani showed up to perform a few cuts off her new holiday album”... not to mention her solo album last year, a couple EPS the year before that, the last No Doubt album in 2012, not to mention works with other artists and soundtracks etc. 

netmageStrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 45
    cgWerks said:
    fastasleep said:
    How do you water down a keg? What a bizarre setup for a completely unrelated rant. 
    It's possible, but if the goal were as stated, they could also just buy lower alcohol % 'watery' beer in the first place.
    (I think the 'watered down' comes more from mixed drinks and is just applied to beer taps as an accusation.)
    That would be beyond tacky for an Apple event. Apple has taste and like someone stated, they provide good beer. The stated “goal” was totally fabricated by the OP so how one might actually “water down” beer is a silly exercise. 
    1STnTENDERBITSStrangeDays
  • Reply 24 of 45
    wizard69 said:
    tenchi211 said:
    It would be nice if they found a way to do something like that for their retail employees too. Really awesome though.
    How would they do that, fly everybody to a central location?   Plus you have the fact that most retail employees havent reached the drinking age yet.  

By the way this doesn't mean that Apple should do nothing for retail, rather it just recognizing the spread out nature of the stores.  Maybe a gift certificate to the local pizza joint are in order.  
    If I work for Apple and they gave me a certificate to a local pizza joint, I would tell them where they could put that certificate and job.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 25 of 45
    cgWerks said:
    Hmm... I always pictured Apple more as wine and cheese, and Microsft as beer bash, but whatever. :)
    Apple set the standard for beer bash culture in the Silicon Valley back in the days of the Apple ][.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 26 of 45
    wizard69 said:

cgWerks said:
    Hmm... I always pictured Apple more as wine and cheese, and Microsft as beer bash, but whatever. :)
    In todays legal environment where the server of the alcohol is responsible, Apple likely watered the beer down to the point where you would likely have to completely over indulge to get drunk.  The reality here is that many companies have completeky given up on supporting parties where alcohol is served.    Doing so avoids connection with serious crimes like drunk driving, but also avoids social interaction problems that have been turned into crimes.  

By the way i don't agree with the way our culture has turned here.   People should be held responsible for their behavior, directing blame on others never solves a problem.   The current trends with harrasment means it could be ten years later before a company hears anything.   It is a sad world we live in?    
    Your alcohol scenario makes no sense at all.  Even if an entity like Apple was held responsible for alcohol mishaps at their function, watering down the beer/alcohol wouldn't lessen culpability.  The reality is companies have had, are having, and will continue to have celebrations with alcohol and I'd bet that none of them are attempting the shenanigans from your scenario.  Neither would Apple, especially not for the silly reason you mentioned.

It was a failed prop for your culture soapbox.
    fastasleepnetmageStrangeDays
  • Reply 27 of 45
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    eacumm said:
    If I work for Apple and they gave me a certificate to a local pizza joint, I would tell them where they could put that certificate and job.
    Why, because they didn't give you a Ferrari?

1STnTENDERBITS said:
    Your alcohol scenario makes no sense at all.  Even if an entity like Apple was held responsible for alcohol mishaps at their function, watering down the beer/alcohol wouldn't lessen culpability.  The reality is companies have had, are having, and will continue to have celebrations with alcohol and I'd bet that none of them are attempting the shenanigans from your scenario.  Neither would Apple, especially not for the silly reason you mentioned.

That hasn't been my experience, though we don't know how Apple handled this. When I first started working and went to company parties, it was quite common for alcohol to just freely flow. In the last decade or so, it has been much more common for companies to try and take some responsibility. For example, a common practice is to give out 'tickets' for drinks. Of course, employees skirt this in various ways, but at least the company made a reasonable effort.

And, it wasn't directed at me, but what cultural soap-box? Trying to reduce harm from drunk driving or not support alcoholism? Label me old-fashioned or whatever and I'll gladly accept it if this is the case. How many friends have you lost to alcoholism or drunk driving?
  • Reply 28 of 45
    cgWerks said:
    That hasn't been my experience, though we don't know how Apple handled this. When I first started working and went to company parties, it was quite common for alcohol to just freely flow. In the last decade or so, it has been much more common for companies to try and take some responsibility. For example, a common practice is to give out 'tickets' for drinks. Of course, employees skirt this in various ways, but at least the company made a reasonable effort.

And, it wasn't directed at me, but what cultural soap-box? Trying to reduce harm from drunk driving or not support alcoholism? Label me old-fashioned or whatever and I'll gladly accept it if this is the case. How many friends have you lost to alcoholism or drunk driving?
    The soap box was creating a false premise (that Apple watered down the beer due to "today's legal environment") and concluded what a sad world it was we live in after wandering through corporate alcohol policies, personal responsibility, legal bureaucracy, harassment, etc. None of which reflects on the fact that Apple had a *BEER* Bash which kinda precludes them going to great lengths to water down beer much less not serve it to begin with, and that they obviously trust their employees to fucking behave themselves and figure out alternative transportation in advance. Etc.

1STnTENDERBITSnetmageStrangeDays
  • Reply 29 of 45
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    LOL, some people here are completely out of touch with reality.

Anything larger than some piddly startup's beer bust actually have more than *ONE* keg. That means a choice. You can have Bud Light (or similar piss water), Anchor Steam, or some mind-bindingly bitter IPA you want. Heck, they might even offer water and juices.

StrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 30 of 45
    cgWerks said:
    eacumm said:
    Why, because they didn't give you a Ferrari?

1STnTENDERBITS said:

That quote from wizard, the one I was replying to, has nothing to do with your advocacy of less drunk driving or alcoholism.  It was simply a badly crafted scenario that used the Apple party and alcohol as a prop to get on a soapbox about blame and responsibility for own behavior and harassment.   Mind you, no one blamed anyone for anything, denied responsibility for any action, or mentioned anything about harassment.  

Tickets for drinks isn't watering down beer or alcohol.  And not that I know all corporations and their plans, but I know of no corporation that have adopted non-alcoholic celebrations.  Some will have tickets, cash bars, and yes, even free booze.  That's all unrelated to that quote from wizard.  His was just an all around nonsense post.  Don't waste your time tying your philosophy to it.
    StrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 31 of 45
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    On the other, is it really a prosecutable, or job-ruining offense if a guy makes an awkward pick-up line or something? Especially given that a lot of the behavior is actually encouraged so long as the woman finds the guy attractive or is actually interested in such advances?

Heh, heh, reminds me of this old skit from Saturday Night Live, with a young Tina Fey but quite possibly marginally NSFW: <video>

And yeah, I have been working for over thirty years and workplaces are one hell of a lot more prohibitionist and puritanical then when I first started in the early eighties, and even then things were considered tame compared with the seventies, but then we all know about the seventies.  And no, I don't work in Hollywood.

edited December 2017 cgWerks
  • Reply 32 of 45
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    spice-boy said:

spice-boy
    said:
    What makes that not cool? Maybe you don't like her work, but why does that constitute Apple as "not cool"? The fact that Apple can get any artist to come and perform specially for them out of their busy schedule is just a nice gesture to their corporate employees who work so hard throughout the year. At least they do something nice for them every once in a while. 
    Stefani is just another corporate shill. When you mean her work are you talking about her commercials for cosmetic and hair companies? Most young people would not recognize her as a singing artist, she has not done anything in music for decades. Apple for all it's great products is certainly not contributors to culture. Apple is safe, mainstream like Disney however at least Disney still produces decent R rated movies through it subsidies where Apple is more Disney than Disney.
    99% of people don't give a shit about what she does other than her music unless you're one of those who constantly reads The Inquirer magazine. Her music may not be as popular today as it once way, but that doesn't mean she isn't popular. Its not like Apple is full of teenie boppers. Even if you're my age (mid-30's) you know her music very well. Maybe Apple will invite Skrillex next year...
    edited December 2017 netmageStrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 33 of 45
    spice-boy said:

spice-boy
    said:
    Apple doesnt contribute to our culture? Hmm. I can't think of any other corporate CEO business men that upon their death had tributes spring up all over the globe where they were honored by the young, the creatives, and the normals. If that doesn't mean Jobs and Apple were a contributor of our culture I don't know what does.

As for Stefani -- wanting to make money isn't a bad thing. It's the goal, even by creatives. Countless musical legends have sold licenses to advertisers, television and film. Why would't they? It's their product and that's how they make money.
    edited December 2017 cgWerks
  • Reply 34 of 45
    If this fit the pattern of where I used to work, mass firings would always follow a party. Every. Single. Time.
    Throwing parties is probably a good way to weed out that kind of thing. Parties might be good for productivity, in a sense.
    "You will party until you are fired! Begin!"
    fastasleep
  • Reply 35 of 45
    eacumm said:
    wizard69 said:
    tenchi211 said:
    It would be nice if they found a way to do something like that for their retail employees too. Really awesome though.
    How would they do that, fly everybody to a central location?   Plus you have the fact that most retail employees havent reached the drinking age yet.  

By the way this doesn't mean that Apple should do nothing for retail, rather it just recognizing the spread out nature of the stores.  Maybe a gift certificate to the local pizza joint are in order.  
    Why? Other than a paycheck for doing the job the employee isn't owed anything else.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 36 of 45
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    spice-boy said:

spice-boy
    said:
    LOL, another out of touch with reality comment.

Artists have been doing private work since the dawn of humanity.

A private concert for an emperor, kaiser, chieftain, robber baron, pope, your next door neighbor's wedding ceremony? Sure, someone will do it.

How about a portrait of a family member to be hung in your private residence? Museums are full of paintings that were once such items.

An illustrated prayer book for your wife, the duchess? Yeah, they exist.

A custom cake for someone's birthday party?

A dance in a private room?

A St. Valentine's heart for mom, proudly displayed on the refrigerator in the kitchen? Yup, a private work.

There is no law that says that a publicly recognized artist cannot do work for private clients.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    I don’t understand the bitterness about a company celebration for its biggest assets - its employees. 

I was at the Gwen Stefani Beer Bash (which btw was also a holiday toy drive). I can attest that there was plenty of beer, none of it was cheap and certainly not watered down. Honestly, the suggestion of watering down beer is an indication that you really don’t know or understand the Silicon Valley culture at all. 

I should also mention that there was a huge spread of food and non-alcoholic beverages too. The party wrapped up at 6pm - this isn’t an all night drink-a-thon, and I honestly didn’t see one person acting inappropriately. 

Also, if you understood the culture of Apple better, you’d understand that a huge percentage of their employees shuttle to/from work. They often don’t drive. 

So I get if you’re not a fan of Stefani, but no one likes the guy who feels the need to piss on someone else’s party.
    macxpresscgWerksroundaboutnowfastasleep
  • Reply 38 of 45
    The party sounds like a great way for employees to celebrate. 
  • Reply 39 of 45
    K-Cup said:
    I don’t understand the bitterness about a company celebration for its biggest assets - its employees. I was at the Gwen Stefani Beer Bash…
    I don’t think you’re allowed to post here by the terms of your contract, but it’s nice to get an Apple employee’s take.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    K-Cup said:
    I don’t understand the bitterness about a company celebration for its biggest assets - its employees. I was at the Gwen Stefani Beer Bash…
    I don’t think you’re allowed to post here by the terms of your contract, but it’s nice to get an Apple employee’s take.
    Why can't an Apple employee post here? Unless they're talking about an unreleased product I don't see why they can't participate here. I hardly doubt talking about the Beer Bash is a violation of any contract they're under.