Apple Watch Series 3 shipments predicted to rise to 23-25M in 2018

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Shipments of the Apple Watch Series 3 could rise as much as 20 percent next year to between 23 and 25 million units, according to new industry predictions.

Advanced Semiconductor Engineering -- which handles packaging and testing RF, Wi-Fi, and MEMS chips for iPhones and Apple Watches -- is expected to set a new record when it announces results for the December quarter, DigiTimes sources said. In November, ASE affiliate Universal Scientific Industrial saw monthly revenues jump 23.89 percent year-over-year to $482.81 million, allegedly because of system-in-package (SiP) orders for the Series 3.

Even though Apple has regularly claimed the Watch as a success, it has so far declined to share exact figures. The company could be worried about disappointing analysts and investors -- but successful or not, the Watch still generates far less money than iPhones, iPads, and Macs, which is likely why it's buried within an "other products" reporting segment alongside Beats and the Apple TV.

In the September quarter that combined segment generated $3.231 billion in revenue, below even the $4.831 billion from the iPad.

ShunSin, a packaging and testing firm under Apple assembly partner Foxconn, is said to be bidding for system-in-package orders for 2018 Watch models. The DigiTimes sources predicted that Apple is unlikely to seriously consider changing up orders until 2019, when it may want to diversify SiP packaging and testing partners to accommodate demand.

The Series 3 is the first Watch to offer models with LTE, making it possible to use some -- though not all -- functions without a paired iPhone nearby.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    I think AppleWatch matured into primarily a sports accessoire. An excellent one. But I don't think it is overly attractive as only another watch. AppleWatch delivers highly attractive functionality for sport. But besides, I don't see much attractive features. The rest seems more gimmicks. Certainly nice once, but probably insufficient to make these attractive buy options. I definitely like the AppleWatch – as a great SportsWatch. I hope, however, Apple can develop AppleWatch beyond this.
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I suppose the well documented health benefits don’t matter.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Does anyone else think that the next Apple Watch will have non evasive glucose monitoring?  I think this would be massive.  Waiting patiently.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    macapfel said:
    I think AppleWatch matured into primarily a sports accessoire. An excellent one. But I don't think it is overly attractive as only another watch. AppleWatch delivers highly attractive functionality for sport. But besides, I don't see much attractive features. The rest seems more gimmicks. Certainly nice once, but probably insufficient to make these attractive buy options. I definitely like the AppleWatch – as a great SportsWatch. I hope, however, Apple can develop AppleWatch beyond this.
    Yes, marketing for the watch has clearly gone through a transition from tech gadget to fashion accessory to sports monitor.  But, it still serves well in all three roles.

But, now I see a fourth role for it that Apple hasn't even thought of (Or, if they have, they haven't mentioned it yet).   That's for seniors living alone:  Previously they were sold big bulky, ugly LifeLine type devices that carried a steep subscription fee for those "I've fallen and I can't get up moments".   The Apple Watch 3+Cellular would serve that function far better:  It would always be on the person because there would be no need to take it off (even in the shower) and there would be no subscription fee except the $10 carrier fee.  Plus, it would look far better and serve additional functions such reminders to take pills, etc, etc, etc....

But, getting back to your points:  Before I had the watch I agreed with you that as you say:  "I don't see much attractive features.  The rest seems more gimmicks".  But, the longer I have the watch the more I find those features less gimmicks and more a case of I wouldn't want to be without them.  The other day I forgot to put the watch on before I left the house and I sorely missed it until I got home later that evening.  No, now I believe those features are not gimmicks but, typical Apple features that make my life better.

king editor the gratebb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    i wish Apple created a way to buy/setup/activate an apple watch for someone who doesn't have an iphone...My father doesn't have a phone, although he does have an ipad. He uses iMessage all the time and I would love to buy him the watch..Also my niece who only has an ipod.
    Maybe soon they will given all the upcoming health monitoring apps...
    edited December 2017 king editor the gratelito_lupenawatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    macapfel said:
    Yes, marketing for the watch has clearly gone through a transition from tech gadget to fashion accessory to sports monitor.  But, it still serves well in all three roles.

But, now I see a fourth role for it that Apple hasn't even thought of (Or, if they have, they haven't mentioned it yet).   That's for seniors living alone:  Previously they were sold big bulky, ugly LifeLine type devices that carried a steep subscription fee for those "I've fallen and I can't get up moments".   The Apple Watch 3+Cellular would serve that function far better:  It would always be on the person because there would be no need to take it off (even in the shower) and there would be no subscription fee except the $10 carrier fee.  Plus, it would look far better and serve additional functions such reminders to take pills, etc, etc, etc....

But, getting back to your points:  Before I had the watch I agreed with you that as you say:  "I don't see much attractive features.  The rest seems more gimmicks".  But, the longer I have the watch the more I find those features less gimmicks and more a case of I wouldn't want to be without them.  The other day I forgot to put the watch on before I left the house and I sorely missed it until I got home later that evening.  No, now I believe those features are not gimmicks but, typical Apple features that make my life better.
    Apple's marketing has certainly evolved from the early days (AW message was broader & not focused on a specific area), to AW series 2's message about fitness and health.  However, they have already changed approach with Series 3 to focus on the "freedom" of mobility.  40M songs on your wrist.  Still quite "sports / fitness" focused in many ads, but more about the always connected theme.  It is often the case that one has to focus the marketing message into one or two areas, but doesn't mean the product is only focused on those areas.

As an Apple Watch user for 2.5+ years, there are many (non-fitness) functions which have provided me with benefits that, while small, I would not call gimmicks.  Certainly makes AW far more useful than a basic watch:
    - Apple Pay (the AW is the best way to use this)
    - Setting timers via Siri (often while cooking)
    - Music on the go (recorded playlists clearly prior to Series 3) without taking a phone
    - Quick glance at messages / phone calls to determine if I need to pull out the phone
    - Quick replies to messages
    - Weather and calendar complications.  I check the temperature on AW about 20+ times a day (have become so used to it being there).
    - * If I had a newer Mac, I am pretty sure I would greatly enjoy the automatic unlocking.

I have also certainly enjoyed the ability to change watch faces (though wish there were more & had more customization), and the swappable watch bands.  It keeps the product feeling more fresh.

Is it a must have?  No, and it will take longer than the iPhone to get there.  But I think we are only a couple years away before the Apple Watch (+ perhaps a smart band) becomes a really desirable product from a medical standpoint (detecting irregular heartbeats, capturing key information for doctors, intelligent reminders for medication and diagnostics, etc).  Approaching a must have for many then.  As you note above, for seniors living alone, it may already be such (if they are aware of it).
    GeorgeBMacStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 17
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    macapfel said:
    For me I don't carry my iPhone around with me early in the morning at home; in the shower or when I'm getting muddy while gardening.
    My iPhone is on silent so I don't disturb my wife/son. 
    As a result, before my Apple Watch Series 2, I would miss calls every week which was frustrating.
    With my AW, I never miss a call, I usually answer calls with the AW which is very quick (and then switch the call to the iPhone if it's nearby).

At a restaurant I keep track of my texts without having to haul my phone out which would be disruptive.

In addition, I use my AW for counting my steps for fitness. I have a heart condition and use the Cardiogram app as well as the Breathe app to reduce stress.

* My AW is reliable and is one of my most used Apple products.    
    edited December 2017 arthurbaGeorgeBMacStrangeDayschiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    bb-15 said:
    macapfel said:
    For me I don't carry my iPhone around with me early in the morning at home; in the shower or when I'm getting muddy while gardening.
    As a result, before my Apple Watch Series 2, I would miss calls every week which was frustrating.
    With my AW, I never miss a call, I usually answer calls with the AW which is very quick (and then switch the call to the iPhone if it's nearby).

At a restaurant I keep track of my texts without having to haul my phone out which would be disruptive.

In addition, I use my AW for counting my steps for fitness. I have a heart condition and use the Cardiogram app as well as the Breathe app to reduce stress.

I agree. I think this demonstrates the path Apple will pursue as technology gets smaller and batteries get better. Eventually, the watch will replace the phone, and customers can just carry whatever size portable screen they need, if any, as they will be able to stream to displays in cars, coffee houses, friends displays, or at work. 
    bb-15arthurbalito_lupenachiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    macapfel said:

I agree. Seriously giving this some thought for my Mom. She wouldn't wear a "life alert" specialized device, but I think she would be excited to have an Apple Watch. The original AW simply wasn't up to the taste, but this solves a lot of problems, as long as she manages to keep it charged. It'll be much more effective it she never has to take it off and it charges wirelessly, without a pad, during the night. 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    NY1822 said:
    i wish Apple created a way to buy/setup/activate an apple watch for someone who doesn't have an iphone...My father doesn't have a phone, although he does have an ipad. He uses iMessage all the time and I would love to buy him the watch..Also my niece who only has an ipod.
    Maybe soon they will given all the upcoming health monitoring apps...
    Yeh, I know what you mean...   But a big part of the Apple Watch derives from an iPhone functionality:   GPS, messages, phone calls, turn by turn Apple Maps, etc....   I don't think it's an artificial restriction being imposed by Apple but a natural extension of watch's functionality.
    bb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    macapfel said:
    Get a stainless steel one if you think it’s not attractive. I love its more serious feel, and people compliment it. 

The activity apps are good to be sure, but I use mine daily for notifications, lighting and homekit, weather, timers, etc. 
    edited December 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 17
    mac_128 said:
    bb-15 said:
    macapfel said:

I agree. I think this demonstrates the path Apple will pursue as technology gets smaller and batteries get better. Eventually, the watch will replace the phone, and customers can just carry whatever size portable screen they need, if any, as they will be able to stream to displays in cars, coffee houses, friends displays, or at work. 
    No, the Apple Watch will never fully replace the iPhone.   It will become increasingly powerful -- but screen size will restrict its functionality.    Messages are a good example:   the watch can send and receive and answer messages as well as emails -- but it is very limited and awkward due to the screen size.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    I received AW3 sport for a gift (red dot and all, lol). Holy hell is it faster than my series 0 running watchOS 4... Menus don’t lag, Shazam actually works, and Siri is usable now! (I love just telling my watch to turn on the lamp across the room, or to change the lighting scene for dinner, etc..)

Big upgrade from the 0. Tho i’ll keep that one for dress up wear as the stainless steel is nicer IMO. 
    bb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17
    mac_128 said:
    macapfel said:

I agree. Seriously giving this some thought for my Mom. She wouldn't wear a "life alert" specialized device, but I think she would be excited to have an Apple Watch. The original AW simply wasn't up to the taste, but this solves a lot of problems, as long as she manages to keep it charged. It'll be much more effective it she never has to take it off and it charges wirelessly, without a pad, during the night. 
    Good!  Plus, she'll never miss one of your texts or phone calls -- which I'm sure she looks forward to.

Along those same lines, I am thinking seriously of getting one for my 11 year old grandson so that while he is out and about he can always get in touch with somebody when and if it is needed (and that includes 911).  His mom is getting him a phone, but I doubt he will have it with him all the time.  But the watch:  put it on in the morning, take it off at night.   Plus, it will encourage him to move more -- something that every kid today seems to need (and he wants to:  He actually asked for a FitBit for Christmas -- but an Apple Watch would do so much better in so many ways)....
    bb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 17
    mac_128 said:
    bb-15 said:
    macapfel said:

No, the Apple Watch will never fully replace the iPhone.   It will become increasingly powerful -- but screen size will restrict its functionality.    Messages are a good example:   the watch can send and receive and answer messages as well as emails -- but it is very limited and awkward due to the screen size.
    You're not thinking 4th dimensionally! ;-)

Keep in mind that foldable, flexible displays are coming. Being able to carry around a display rolled up into a pen-sized device, or folded into the size of a credit card, without the added bulk of the processors, etc, strictly used as display is what I was thinking. It's cheaper to manufacture, so if you lose it, it's not as big a deal, and it has its own battery so the watch doesn't need to be as powerful. With easy link technology, any compatible display anywhere can become a larger display for your watch. Nothing really changes, except you only need your watch.
    bb-15GeorgeBMacchia
  • Reply 16 of 17
    i have the series 0, series 1 and series 2 apple watch. serving fitness, commnication, health and fashion purposes (they’re in different colors/case material). still holding out on the series 3 but oh so tempted. the apple watch is that good. not like iphone or ipod where i will consider replacing only after 2 or 3 years.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 17
    mac_128 said:
    mac_128 said:
    bb-15 said:
    macapfel said:

You're not thinking 4th dimensionally! ;-)

Keep in mind that foldable, flexible displays are coming. Being able to carry around a display rolled up into a pen-sized device, or folded into the size of a credit card, without the added bulk of the processors, etc, strictly used as display is what I was thinking. It's cheaper to manufacture, so if you lose it, it's not as big a deal, and it has its own battery so the watch doesn't need to be as powerful. With easy link technology, any compatible display anywhere can become a larger display for your watch. Nothing really changes, except you only need your watch.
    That sounds like something Steve Jobs would make happen...
    watto_cobra