iMac Pro cost blows away similar Lenovo workstation, DIY builders struggle to meet price w...

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 129
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    nht said:
    And this is coming from a dev that does prefer nvidia because I still have use for CUDA.

As a FCPX user I prefer AMD because exports are generally faster when using compressor.
    Unless they're talking about playback of motion graphics at a reasonable framerate, it won't make a significant difference anyway. Practically all modern gpus are suitable for the day to day stuff that graphic artists do. 
  • Reply 122 of 129
    ryaniskiraryaniskira Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    "DIY builders struggle to meet price." Uh huh, sure. Double the CPU cores, double the RAM (and since the RAM is not soldered to the motherboard it's actually expandable :o), Liquid cooled so less noise and less thermal throttling, 80+ Platinum PSU, 12TB worth of WD Red Pro HDD storage, an actual keyboard and mouse, and better graphics card. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nWrPTH
    williamlondon
  • Reply 123 of 129
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    "DIY builders struggle to meet price." Uh huh, sure. Double the CPU cores, double the RAM (and since the RAM is not soldered to the motherboard it's actually expandable :o), Liquid cooled so less noise and less thermal throttling, 80+ Platinum PSU, 12TB worth of WD Red Pro HDD storage, an actual keyboard and mouse, and better graphics card. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nWrPTH
    Your post, and my rebuttal are still on the previous forum page. You missed a few things, like four Thunderbolt 3 ports, a better case for vibration reduction, 10-gig ethernet, a faster SSD than SATA-III, an operating system, an unreliable monitor vendor, and a few other things.

I like the build! But, it's still missing a lot. The Vega included is either the Pro 64 or Pro 56, either are notably faster than the 1080 you included.

edited June 2017
  • Reply 124 of 129
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

All my Macs have lasted five years and some are running longer than that. For me to pay $5000 for the base iMac Pro is great if I can use it well for five years. That's just $1000 a year and will likely be maintenance free for that time as all my other Macs (except one) was. 

You're forgetting that it will probably have at least a $2000 resale value.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 125 of 129
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    'Dual SSD Modules'

That was on the big screen with all of the other unmentioned iMac Pro features at the end of the presentation. 

I haven't been able to find any reports on it. I wonder if that's two m.2 sockets for two separate drives, or if it's like the OWC Accelsior which has two modules but under a single controller (reports as one volume).

Anyone know about this?

I've been pondering this as well, and this post is one of the few references to it on google lol. I wonder what that means. A unified 4TB storage system side is two 2TB SSDs linked together? Would that also potentially mean each one has 3GB/s reads, so if something was split up perfectly, they could double that? 

All just guesses until a teardown I guess. 
  • Reply 126 of 129
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Your post, and my rebuttal are still on the previous forum page. You missed a few things, like four Thunderbolt 3 ports, a better case for vibration reduction, 10-gig ethernet, a faster SSD than SATA-III, an operating system, an unreliable monitor vendor, and a few other things.

I like the build! But, it's still missing a lot. The Vega included is either the Pro 64 or Pro 56, either are notably faster than the 1080 you included.

Well that didn't pan out lol. The problem with predicting performance with paper marketing numbers. 

56 ended up trading blows with the 1070, 64 was closer to the 1080 in the best cases but unattractive for other reasons (pushed too far to try to meet the 1080, very inefficient because of it).

The Vega Pros in this are downclocked versions of both chips for a more favorable perf/watt. The top end Pro 64 iMac Pro will be below a 1080 since it's also downclocked from a regular 64. 

Now, that's also just the usual case for workstation cards, the WX9100 is also dialed back from the Vega 64 (but also ends up higher than the iMac Pro). 
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 127 of 129
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    tipoo said:

Well that didn't pan out lol. The problem with predicting performance with paper marketing numbers. 

56 ended up trading blows with the 1070, 64 was closer to the 1080 in the best cases but unattractive for other reasons (pushed too far to try to meet the 1080, very inefficient because of it).

The Vega Pros in this are downclocked versions of both chips for a more favorable perf/watt. The top end Pro 64 iMac Pro will be below a 1080 since it's also downclocked from a regular 64. 

Now, that's also just the usual case for workstation cards, the WX9100 is also dialed back from the Vega 64 (but also ends up higher than the iMac Pro). 
    Nope, it still pans out. The Apple-centric apps do better and are faster with AMD then they are with Nvidia. So, the Final Cut Pro X and Logic people, plus the Metal-centric apps, will benefit the most.

If you're a photoshopper? Less so.
  • Reply 128 of 129
    VRingVRing Posts: 108member

AMD Threadripper 1950X (16 cores / 32 threads) + ASRock X399 Taichi [$970]
    Corsair H80i [$80]
    32 GB Samsung DDR4 ECC [$400]
    1 TB Samsung 960 EVO [$450]
    AMD Radeon Pro Vega Frontier Edition 16 GB HBM2 (Vega 64) [$790]
    Corsair RM850x [$110]
    ASUS XG-C100C 10 Gbps [$100]
    Phanteks Enthoo Pro [$100]

Total for hardware: $3000

That leaves $2000 to budget on a display, OS, keyboard and mouse.

The display preference will vary depending on the industry and use case for this machine. You might need a display with high color accuracy/reproduction or you might need multiple displays, etc.

The DIY build above is a lot better than the entry $5000 iMac Pro.

williamlondongatorguy
  • Reply 129 of 129
    So much for Octane and Redshift, going to have to wait until the NNMP (New New Mac Pro), if they don't screw that up too.
    williamlondon