Apple's $4,999 all-in-one iMac Pro launches Thursday, Dec. 14

Comments

• Reply 81 of 150
    lkrupp said:
    For me personally it would be like buying a fully loaded Ford Shelby GT just to go to the grocery store. Not that I wouldn’t like that but for home use it would be a bit overkill. I’m hoping this machine finds a home with professionals, not the faux professionals who blather on here about ports and towers and such but real professionals who would put the machine to good use.
    The burning question is... Can it run Crysis? If not... fire Tim Cook. /s
    I wanted to throw a little levity into this thread.

Apple's trying. They said they learned from past mistakes, so hopefully, users will be getting a decent desktop. I hope it's suitable for professionals and enterprise users but Apple is always doing things their own way. I'd be a faux user if I bought one but I think I'd rather have something that's really robust and super-reliable if I'm intending to keep it a long time. I'd only need it for occasional heavy lifting and to me, the base model is worth the price. With that much power, I'm sure it would still be very fast after a few major OS X revisions. That's how I look at it.
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 82 of 150
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    appex said:
    Nope and no way. Programmed obsolescence. All-in-one (AIO) computers like iMac are a huge aggression to planet Earth. Computers may last for seven years or less, whereas displays may last for more than 20 years. I am using an Apple Cinema Display 22-inch purchased almost 18 years ago and it works great. And it has been on an average of 15 hours a day, 356 days each year.
    Stop the demonstrably false spam. I have warned you on this before.

If you post this again, in any other thread besides the ones you've already posted it in, I will ban you.
    Really?  Finally?  But the guy adds so much value by repeating the same 2-3 posts all the time.... (sarcasm noted since many here lack such a detector...)
    SoliStrangeDays
  • Reply 83 of 150
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member

Another Glued Shut throwaway iToi from Tim Cook's Apple.

No thank you.
    A Xeon CPU and GPU bump with space gray case does not equal $5k.
    "But but but it's a toy!" yyeeaaahh....troll on bro. Even PC Gamer said it costs about the same to DIY, minus all the great support and your time.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/06/09/imac-pro-cost-blows-away-similar-lenovo-workstation-diy-builders-struggle-to-meet-price-with-fewer-features

http://www.pcgamer.com/apples-new-imac-pro-costs-5000-but-is-it-overpriced/
    The comparison AI did with the Lenovo Thinkstation is not accurate.  The iMac Pro is an entry level workstation, while the Lenovo 910 is a high end model, far more capable.  The iMac Pro has a single CPU, with a max of 128GB of RAM and a single AMD Vega card with 16GB of RAM.  The P910 has two CPU's, a maximum of 1TB of RAM and capable of three Quadro P6000 w/ 24GB of RAM each in SLI.  It's obvious that the Lenovo was a more expensive device, since it's more complex than the iMac Pro.  We should wait for the new entry level models are released to make a fair comparison.
    VRing
  • Reply 84 of 150
    VRingVRing Posts: 108member
    VRing said:
    matrix077 said:
    VRing said:
    matrix077 said:

No thank you.
    Umm.. yes, someone compare parts for home built PC and it end up at $5,000 too. And it doesn’t even has space grey. 
    That's incorrect.

$5000 will do much better than the entry iMac Pro.

AMD Threadripper 1950X (16 cores / 32 threads) + ASRock X399 Taichi [$970]
    Corsair H80i [$80]
    32 GB Samsung DDR4 ECC [$400]
    1 TB Samsung 960 EVO [$450]
    AMD Radeon Pro Vega Frontier Edition 16 GB HBM2 (Vega 64) [$790]
    Corsair RM850x [$110]
    ASUS XG-C100C 10 Gbps [$100]
    Phanteks Enthoo Pro [$100]

Total for hardware: $3000

That leaves $2000 to budget on a display, OS, keyboard and mouse.

The display preference will vary depending on the industry and use case for this machine. You might need a display with high color accuracy/reproduction or you might need multiple displays, etc.

https://youtu.be/h-h5Mhlt6O0

4:19 mark. He said $5,100 for equivalent PC. 
    You can actually click on all of the links I provided. That PC is better than the iMac Pro.

He's also wrong about the pricing. The Xeon W-2145 (entry iMac Pro) & motherboard would cost about $1500 vs the $970 for the Threadripper 1950X + motherboard.

Of course, Threadripper 1950X is better than the Xeon W-2145. The DIY build above also uses the Pro Vega 64, not the entry Pro Vega 56.

OK. So what? How many can you produce of those DIY PCs or gaming rigs or whatever? Apple thinks in millions, acts in millions. If you can beat one iMac Pro with your DIY PC including benchmarks, then good for you. Apple will not compete with you. Neither you nor your DIY PC culture possess that scale.
    Gaming rig? It has a 16 core / 32 thread CPU with up to 64 PCIe lanes, ECC RAM and a Pro Radeon GPU. That's not a gaming rig.

I don't see your point. His statement was simply false, I proved that.

If you want a mass produced version of what I listed, you'll have to wait until January. Currently Alienware has exclusive use of Threadripper until the end of 2017, companies like HP and Lenovo can put these in their workstations for scale, and at lower cost than an Intel Xeon W.
  • Reply 85 of 150
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    danvm said:

No thank you.
    "But but but it's a toy!" yyeeaaahh....troll on bro. Even PC Gamer said it costs about the same to DIY, minus all the great support and your time.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/06/09/imac-pro-cost-blows-away-similar-lenovo-workstation-diy-builders-struggle-to-meet-price-with-fewer-features

http://www.pcgamer.com/apples-new-imac-pro-costs-5000-but-is-it-overpriced/
    The comparison AI did with the Lenovo Thinkstation is not accurate.  The iMac Pro is an entry level workstation, while the Lenovo 910 is a high end model, far more capable.  The iMac Pro has a single CPU, with a max of 128GB of RAM and a single AMD Vega card with 16GB of RAM.  The P910 has two CPU's, a maximum of 1TB of RAM and capable of three Quadro P6000 w/ 24GB of RAM each in SLI.  It's obvious that the Lenovo was a more expensive device, since it's more complex than the iMac Pro.  We should wait for the new entry level models are released to make a fair comparison.
    The configuration selected by the Reddit user for the piece was as close to the iMac Pro's stated specs as possible and not maxed out in any regard. And, coupled with the fact that by the entire workstation industry's research including Lenovo's, prove that only a very small amount of them get upgraded beyond what's purchased, the configuration selection was apt.

Upgradeability looks great on paper, and I like doing it. It is not a big thing outside of "us" though.
    edited December 2017 SolichiaRayz2016
  • Reply 86 of 150
    macxpress said:
    [...] sell the iMac Pro for 85-90% of what you paid for it, probably more
    Would you please tell me where I can find these buyers willing to pay 85-90% or more of retail price for a second-hand machine, even a relatively recent one? Buyers in my vicinity seem to be bargain driven and thus quite price sensitive. Apple products almost certainly hold their value better than other brands, but in my experience not to the point where it would support the notion that it's reasonable to expect to use a Mac for a year (or even a few months) and recoup enough to make it essentially a rental. If I had to peg a figure, I'd estimate a 25% hit the moment it arrives on your doorstep, rising to 40% the moment a newer model is announced.
    VRingmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 87 of 150
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    matrix077 said:
    sevenfeet said:
    matrix077 said:
    What's the purpose? Just mac Mac Pro with processing power like this. No Apple displays is even near to EIZO or NEC professional graphic design monitors. That is top shelf above average pocket. We need processing unit with solid system - nothing else. That is not prosumer or regular consumer.
    Think it’s for coders (scientific & architecture too. Basically any groups that want to crunch number). Too many of them at Apple, Google, Facebook etc. what you said about monitor is irrelevant to this group. 
    I've seen Youtube's creator studios out in California.  All of their editing labs have 2013 Mac Pros.  This (and the future Mac Pro) is an obvious upgrade for then.
    Yeah.. I’m in video field too and come to think about it the one who care about monitor could be a minority. We do color correction in post house & don’t give an F about it when we do editing for example. 
    This is the difference between PROs and well...pro wedding videographers...
  • Reply 88 of 150
    VRing said:
    VRing said:
    matrix077 said:
    VRing said:
    matrix077 said:

No thank you.
    Umm.. yes, someone compare parts for home built PC and it end up at $5,000 too. And it doesn’t even has space grey. 
    That's incorrect.

Corsair H80i [$80]
    Corsair RM850x [$110]

The display preference will vary depending on the industry and use case for this machine. You might need a display with high color accuracy/reproduction or you might need multiple displays, etc.

You can actually click on all of the links I provided. That PC is better than the iMac Pro.

He's also wrong about the pricing. The Xeon W-2145 (entry iMac Pro) & motherboard would cost about $1500 vs the $970 for the Threadripper 1950X + motherboard.

Of course, Threadripper 1950X is better than the Xeon W-2145. The DIY build above also uses the Pro Vega 64, not the entry Pro Vega 56.

OK. So what? How many can you produce of those DIY PCs or gaming rigs or whatever? Apple thinks in millions, acts in millions. If you can beat one iMac Pro with your DIY PC including benchmarks, then good for you. Apple will not compete with you. Neither you nor your DIY PC culture possess that scale.
    Gaming rig? It has a 16 core / 32 thread CPU with up to 64 PCIe lanes, ECC RAM and a Pro Radeon GPU. That's not a gaming rig.

If you want a mass produced version of what I listed, you'll have to wait until January. Currently Alienware has exclusive use of Threadripper until the end of 2017, companies like HP and Lenovo can put these in their workstations for scale, and at lower cost than an Intel Xeon W.
    No company would mass produce a DIY PC.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 89 of 150
    VRing said:
    VRing said:
    matrix077 said:
    VRing said:
    matrix077 said:

No thank you.
    That's incorrect.

Corsair H80i [$80]
    Corsair RM850x [$110]

A mass produced PC with a Threadripper and Radeon Pro. That went right over you.
  • Reply 90 of 150
    VRing said:
    VRing said:
    VRing said:
    matrix077 said:
    VRing said:
    matrix077 said:

No thank you.
    That's incorrect.

Corsair H80i [$80]
    Corsair RM850x [$110]

A mass produced PC with a Threadripper and Radeon Pro. That went right over you.
    By putting a SATA board with no Thunderbolt 3 in sight as you did... Wish a good business to you with that...
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 91 of 150
    VRing said:
    VRing said:
    VRing said:
    matrix077 said:
    VRing said:
    matrix077 said:

No thank you.
    That's incorrect.

Corsair H80i [$80]
    Corsair RM850x [$110]

By putting a SATA board with no Thunderbolt 3 in sight as you did... Wish a good business to you with that...
    You have 64 PCIe lanes

4x PCIe 3.0 x16
    1x PCIe 2.0 x1
    3x Ultra M.2
    1x U.2
    8x SATA3
    1x USB-A 3.1 gen2
    1x USB-C 3.1 gen2

Additional GPU? Put it inside. Additional storage? Put it inside. External storage? USB 3.1 gen2 is 10 Gbps, faster than SATA3. Need to hot swap storage? $100 extra gets you a front mounted multi drive cage.

You don't need Thunderbolt 3.
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 92 of 150
    Still blows my mind that this is a pro machine but you can’t get inside of it. I can understand most of Apple’s portable products being sealed but professional workstations? Why? Even the 27” iMac allows upgrades to the RAM. 
    Since it's probably expensive ECC ram, some users would try to throw in some cheap ram and complain to Apple when it has issues or doesn't work. Then they'll try to get a new iMac Pro with their warranty. 
    Doubtful as I suspect anyone buying this machine knows a thing or two about computers.
    True, and I forgot the late 2013 Mac Pro (Maybe others as well) had ECC ram that was interchangeable. 

Maybe it's just because people were opting for the lowest-spec ram and putting their own in (obviously), cutting profits. 
  • Reply 93 of 150
    VRing said:
    VRing said:
    VRing said:
    VRing said:
    matrix077 said:
    VRing said:
    matrix077 said:

No thank you.
    That's incorrect.

Corsair H80i [$80]
    Corsair RM850x [$110]

You have 64 PCIe lanes

4x PCIe 3.0 x16
    1x PCIe 2.0 x1
    3x Ultra M.2
    1x U.2
    8x SATA3
    1x USB-A 3.1 gen2
    1x USB-C 3.1 gen2

Additional GPU? Put it inside. Additional storage? Put it inside. External storage? USB 3.1 gen2 is 10 Gbps, faster than SATA3. Need to hot swap storage? $100 extra gets you a front mounted multi drive cage.

A NVMExpress SSD over SATA ?

We don’t need NVMExpress speed, we don’t need TB3 speed, long live USB 3.1, long live SATA.

OK, then why do you compare that DIY PC to an iMac Pro? Compare at least equal features.
    edited December 2017 chiaStrangeDays
  • Reply 94 of 150
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    macxpress said:
    macxpress said:
    brucemc said:
    Thank god!  Hopefully this means less complaining from the hard core Mac side of the house, and stalls any further "Apple can't deliver" talk on the forums.
    You and me both. That said, there are already posts here, in this thread that heavily lean in that direction.
    I’m not a pro user. Just curious the reason for completely sealing the machine. Apple wants to force pro users to pay their upgrade pricing? If it’s an engineering reason then does that signal bad design descisions? As we saw with the trash can Mac Pro Apple sometimes gets it wrong. Why do you think Apple made this decision?
    I believe Apple knows what its doing here. They see a market and they go after it. I'm not a pro either, but I'm gonna assume a lot are going to not just buy the $4999 model, but rather spec it out as much as they can afford as from what I see, is what a typical Professional user will do. As I've said in the past, I think most Professionals don't care if they can get inside it. They just want to do work and not screw around with messing with the insides, being their own IT support, etc. They buy as much as they can afford, and use it until its no longer useful for their work and then they sell it for a high price (value of owning a Mac), and go get something newer. 

The RAM slots are full sized RAM slots so if you take that along with the completely redesigned cooling system the RAM is not accessible from the same spot as the regular 27" iMac. it doesn't use SODIMMs like the regular iMac does. I think Apple would rather have a Mac that suits their needs rather than sit there and try and make it designed so the back cover(s) come off, etc, etc. This is what the Mac Pro is for. 
    I get it but not for a pro level machine like this. Seems to me it’s a niche machine maybe not as bad as the trash can Mac Pro. I suppose Apple is counting on pros to buy this anyway since who knows when the Mac Pro will be released. Could be 2019.
    Why do you assume Pros want to upgrade the RAM, or anything inside it in the major industry? Why are you so stuck on this topic? People are telling you this is a non issue and you're not listening! Were not talking about the person who takes photographs on the side and has a small business here. Were talking major studios, science labs, etc. They don't upgrade anything inside the computer. They replace! 

I work in IT...we don't upgrade computers (Macs or PCs)...we buy what we can afford. We use them as long as they're useful (4-6yrs). When they become not useful anymore, we dispose of them properly and get new computers (Macs or PCs) to replace them if necessary. This notion that everything needs to be upgradable is complete nonsense!
    So when the new Mac Pro ships in 2018 or 2019 it won’t be upgradable because people don’t upgrade they just replace Got it.
    Upgradability isn't just replacing the RAM...its putting in special encoder cards, or the need for 2 video cards...something extra the iMac Pro cannot do. The iMac Pro isn't going to be for everyone...even Apple admitted this. The fact that the Mac Pro is expandable is far better than being upgradable. These aren't necessarily the same thing. 
    edited December 2017 sennen
  • Reply 95 of 150
    VRing said:
    VRing said:
    VRing said:
    VRing said:
    matrix077 said:
    VRing said:
    matrix077 said:

No thank you.
    That's incorrect.

Corsair H80i [$80]
    Corsair RM850x [$110]

You have 64 PCIe lanes

4x PCIe 3.0 x16
    1x PCIe 2.0 x1
    3x Ultra M.2
    1x U.2
    8x SATA3
    1x USB-A 3.1 gen2
    1x USB-C 3.1 gen2

We don’t need NVMExpress speed, we don’t need TB3 speed, long live USB 3.1, long live SATA.

OK, then why do you compare that DIY PC to an iMac Pro? 
    He doesn't understand your comment.
    chiaStrangeDays
  • Reply 96 of 150
    VRing said:
    VRing said:
    VRing said:
    VRing said:
    matrix077 said:
    VRing said:
    matrix077 said:

No thank you.
    That's incorrect.

Corsair H80i [$80]
    Corsair RM850x [$110]

You have 64 PCIe lanes

4x PCIe 3.0 x16
    1x PCIe 2.0 x1
    3x Ultra M.2
    1x U.2
    8x SATA3
    1x USB-A 3.1 gen2
    1x USB-C 3.1 gen2

An NVMe PCIe SSD is used in an M.2 slot. There are 3 of them. You could also get a PCIe adapter which can hold even more in various raid configurations.

You really have no clue what you're talking about.
  • Reply 97 of 150
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    macxpress said:
    [...] sell the iMac Pro for 85-90% of what you paid for it, probably more
    Would you please tell me where I can find these buyers willing to pay 85-90% or more of retail price for a second-hand machine, even a relatively recent one? Buyers in my vicinity seem to be bargain driven and thus quite price sensitive. Apple products almost certainly hold their value better than other brands, but in my experience not to the point where it would support the notion that it's reasonable to expect to use a Mac for a year (or even a few months) and recoup enough to make it essentially a rental. If I had to peg a figure, I'd estimate a 25% hit the moment it arrives on your doorstep, rising to 40% the moment a newer model is announced.
    Look outside of your vicinity. 

It really depends on the Mac too...someone isn't wiling to pay $799 again for the Mac mini thats only 1yr old. Different models have different resale values. The iMac Pro is a very high-end Mac like it or not. Its not going to plummet in value, especially with it only being a few months to 1yr old. 
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 98 of 150
    VRing said:
    VRing said:
    VRing said:
    VRing said:
    VRing said:
    matrix077 said:
    VRing said:
    matrix077 said:

No thank you.
    That's incorrect.

Corsair H80i [$80]
    Corsair RM850x [$110]

You have 64 PCIe lanes

4x PCIe 3.0 x16
    1x PCIe 2.0 x1
    3x Ultra M.2
    1x U.2
    8x SATA3
    1x USB-A 3.1 gen2
    1x USB-C 3.1 gen2

An NVMe PCIe SSD is used in an M.2 slot. There are 3 of them. You could also get a PCIe adapter which can hold even more in various raid configurations.

You really have no clue what you're talking about.o
    So you provide NVMe and I just don’t need Thunderbolt 3. That makes it a fair comparison: “Ignore TB3 and there are many iMac Pro alternatives.” I’m done with this.
    StrangeDaysroundaboutnow
  • Reply 99 of 150
    dsddsd Posts: 186member
    Sevenfeet said:
    But I now work for one of the world's largest software companies.  We don't upgrade anything.  Everything is purchased to be used for a limited number of years, then replaced.  Up until recently, we haven't had any company purchased Macs except for one major area:  software development.  Those guys have been able to get high .... to do their jobs.  And now in 2018, the rest of us in the field will get a chance ....
    Congratulations on becoming fully loaded.
  • Reply 100 of 150
    VRing said:
    VRing said:
    VRing said:
    VRing said:
    VRing said:
    matrix077 said:
    VRing said:
    matrix077 said:

No thank you.
    That's incorrect.

Corsair H80i [$80]
    Corsair RM850x [$110]

You have 64 PCIe lanes

4x PCIe 3.0 x16
    1x PCIe 2.0 x1
    3x Ultra M.2
    1x U.2
    8x SATA3
    1x USB-A 3.1 gen2
    1x USB-C 3.1 gen2

You really have no clue what you're talking about.o
    So you provide NVMe and I just don’t need Thunderbolt 3. That makes it a fair comparison: “Ignore TB3 and there are many iMac Pro alternatives.” I’m done with this.
    Why is Thunderbolt 3 needed? It's an inferior solution to a problem that doesn't exist on the build I posted.