Twelve South ships HiRise Pro stand for raising height of iMac & iMac Pro

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2017
Accessory producer Twelve South has unveiled a new stand designed for the iMac, iMac Pro, and compatible monitors, with the HiRise Pro capable of raising the viewing angle of the screen to help lower the risk of neck strain while working, as well as reducing the amount of desk clutter.

The HiRise Pro is an updated version of Twelve South's existing HiRise iMac stand, consisting of a gunmetal steel case with a hole to slot the iMac or monitor's stand through. Inside the casing are a number of slots in the sides for placing a shelf that the monitor stand rests upon, with the four slot positions raising the display from 0.9 inches at its lowest to 3.54 inches at its highest.

According to Twelve South, the HiRise Pro supports all current iMac models, the incoming iMac Pro, and monitors with a base width of 10 inches or less.

The extra space inside the HiRise Pro can be used to store a variety of items, to help keep the desk space tidy. As well as providing ample storage for other accessories, it is also able to house docks, with an opening at the rear providing access to ports if the dock is placed on the bottom of the enclosure.

A grille supplied with the HiRise Pro can be used to enclose the unit, hiding stored accessories from view while still providing ventilation, which can be removed using a small thumb notch at the base. Held in place with magnets, the grille also gives users a choice in styling, with one side matching the gunmetal coloring of the enclosure, while the other features a walnut inlay.

In front of the monitor stand hole on the top is an extra storage area, with a leather valet tray intended as a place to store important items that need to be easily reached, such as an iPhone for charging or a wallet.

The HiRise Pro is available to purchase for $149.99 from Amazon, the online Apple Store, and from Twelve South directly.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    $150?  Good luck to those who see the value.  Otherwise it doesn’t look too bad.  
    randominternetpersonStrangeDaysbaconstangargonautmarkaceto
  • Reply 2 of 17
    NemWanNemWan Posts: 118member
    The usual ergonomic recommendation is that the top edge of the screen should be at eye level. You're probably on the taller side if you need your iMac to be higher.
    doozydozenrandominternetpersonRayz2016argonaut
  • Reply 3 of 17
    That's about the height of a brick. OK. I'll save a bit of money. They're demolishing a house down the block.
    bigpicsjony0baconstangargonaut
  • Reply 4 of 17
    NemWan said:
    The usual ergonomic recommendation is that the top edge of the screen should be at eye level. You're probably on the taller side if you need your iMac to be higher.
    Exactly.  People don't get neck strain from desktop monitors the size of an iMac (as opposed to a laptop flat on a desk).
    StrangeDaysRayz2016baconstangargonaut
  • Reply 5 of 17
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    I miss the Gooseneck iMac...  ...a design classic in the Smithsonian.... ...and I've never been impressed with the singularly unadjustable iMac design.  

Engineering laziness....
    baconstang
  • Reply 6 of 17
    NemWan said:
    Agree, terrible ergonomics, especially if one is wearing progressive lenses.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 7 of 17
    To the rejoice of office managers forever recovering reams of printer paper from peoples’ desks. 
    StrangeDaysmarkaceto
  • Reply 8 of 17
    I acknowledge that not many will share my taste but the gf was pretty chuffed with the solution I made for her iMac. Two heavy house bricks taped together on their sides and covered with a hand made chunky upholstery fabric. To me it's more fun and friendly and solid. That monstrosity distracts form the iMac it doesn't complement it. And that wood at the front, don't mention the wood, who knew  Scott Forstall was freelancing for 12 South, the 150 price tag just adds insult to injury. I really like the solid heavy weight of the bricks and the way that it's easy to slide the iMac around on the fabric to reach the rear ports

NemWan said:

Unless you have an ergonomic kneeling chair. Got that for $5 from the op shop, ripped out the shitty foam and disgusting cover and installed aircraft grade high density foam and recovered in a cosy upholstery, of which I utilised on aforementioned bricks.

That's about the height of a brick. OK. I'll save a bit of money. They're demolishing a house down the block.

Ha, didn't see that till after I posted. I thought the same thing, on the side was millimetre perfect.
    edited December 2017 jony0randominternetpersonargonaut
  • Reply 9 of 17
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    bigpics said:
    I miss the Gooseneck iMac...  ...a design classic in the Smithsonian.... ...and I've never been impressed with the singularly unadjustable iMac design.  

Engineering laziness....
    The gooseneck design was nice and cool, but had lots of issues. Many (mine included) had the arm fail and required replacement. Its also not great for education which is a big purchaser of iMacs which is why the iMac G4 wasn't big in education as most purchased the eMac instead.
    argonaut
  • Reply 10 of 17
    But wait there's more. This object really offends me, it's taking advantage of people who have no taste but want their mac higher. Look at those stupid little shelves. Why? Oh right you can put you beautiful sleek wireless magic mouse away from sight and into that little shelf. Yeah right. And anally line it up as it gradually gets nudged down the back and you scrape your knuckles getting it out. I have never been so offended by an accessory that I have to resort to this. It's a fucking insult to everything that is mac. I just cannot comprehend it. If anything it should be an almost invisible platform with spindly yet sturdy legs.  What I am most offended about is that it purports to be something that enhances the mac. If I had Gates' billions I'd pay for an ad on Apple insider. It's hideous. And dumbass as well. Let's see it with all the hard drives and other peripheries connected to it. Oh look you can open it with your hand and put your dental floss in there. Sorry to go on but no one cares about this post. There are two types of people in the world. (Not including the types who split the world into two types). There are those who won't understand this post and think it's a bit over the top because it's not that bad. And there are those who are as offended as me.

DED, can we have an interview with the person who designed this. 

If I was forced to use that with my new iMac, I'd happily pay 150 bucks to not use it. I'll be dreaming about this tonight. Some things you wish you never saw because you cannot unfortunately unsee them. Like if you're currently watching the Ashes and you are English and about to see the entire England cricket team implode in a slow motion car crash. Another 5 blob demolition. That will be a hat trick of them in the past 10 years, the first one was about 100 years ago then 3 on the trot, yeah, that 12South monstrosity is  like that. Feel free to delete this post. They don't care that Stokes broke his hand while breaking someone's eye socket they just are disappointed that he has let the team down. As if he shouldn't be charged with ABH. 
    edited December 2017 randominternetpersonSpamSandwich
  • Reply 11 of 17

NemWan said:
    Exactly.  People don't get neck strain from desktop monitors the size of an iMac (as opposed to a laptop flat on a desk).
    I love this stand, can't remember what it's called.

• Reply 12 of 17
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I acknowledge that not many will share my taste but the gf was pretty chuffed with the solution I made for her iMac. Two heavy house bricks taped together on their sides and covered with a hand made chunky upholstery fabric. To me it's more fun and friendly and solid. That monstrosity distracts form the iMac it doesn't complement it. And that wood at the front, don't mention the wood, who knew  Scott Forstall was freelancing for 12 South, the 150 price tag just adds insult to injury. I really like the solid heavy weight of the bricks and the way that it's easy to slide the iMac around on the fabric to reach the rear ports

NemWan said:

Unless you have an ergonomic kneeling chair. Got that for $5 from the op shop, ripped out the shitty foam and disgusting cover and installed aircraft grade high density foam and recovered in a cosy upholstery, of which I utilised on aforementioned bricks.

Ha, didn't see that till after I posted. I thought the same thing, on the side was millimetre perfect.
    Wow.

You’re one of those badass urban upholsterers I keep reading about. 
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    For that money I was expecting wireless charging or something. 
  • Reply 14 of 17
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    There is a big health issue. It is BAD to look upwards to displays. It is recommended to look downwards. Get the facts. They are your eyes!
  • Reply 15 of 17
    To the rejoice of office managers forever recovering reams of printer paper from peoples’ desks. 
    I have a PSU box under a 24" monitor and a VERY old laptop under a 27" monitor next to it. They bring the top of both monitors up to eye-level. They've been there so long I don't even notice them anymore. :lol: 

Always like TwelveSouth's products, just can't justify the price personally.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    But wait there's more. This object really offends me, it's taking advantage of people who have no taste but want their mac higher. Look at those stupid little shelves. Why? Oh right you can put you beautiful sleek wireless magic mouse away from sight and into that little shelf. Yeah right. And anally line it up as it gradually gets nudged down the back and you scrape your knuckles getting it out. I have never been so offended by an accessory that I have to resort to this. It's a fucking insult to everything that is mac. I just cannot comprehend it. If anything it should be an almost invisible platform with spindly yet sturdy legs.  What I am most offended about is that it purports to be something that enhances the mac. If I had Gates' billions I'd pay for an ad on Apple insider. It's hideous. And dumbass as well. Let's see it with all the hard drives and other peripheries connected to it. Oh look you can open it with your hand and put your dental floss in there. Sorry to go on but no one cares about this post. There are two types of people in the world. (Not including the types who split the world into two types). There are those who won't understand this post and think it's a bit over the top because it's not that bad. And there are those who are as offended as me.

DED, can we have an interview with the person who designed this. 

If I was forced to use that with my new iMac, I'd happily pay 150 bucks to not use it. I'll be dreaming about this tonight. Some things you wish you never saw because you cannot unfortunately unsee them. Like if you're currently watching the Ashes and you are English and about to see the entire England cricket team implode in a slow motion car crash. Another 5 blob demolition. That will be a hat trick of them in the past 10 years, the first one was about 100 years ago then 3 on the trot, yeah, that 12South monstrosity is  like that. Feel free to delete this post. They don't care that Stokes broke his hand while breaking someone's eye socket they just are disappointed that he has let the team down. As if he shouldn't be charged with ABH. 
    Wow, just wow. If people want to be "taken advantage of" and pay over the odds for a bit of aluminium and wood, then let them, it has f-all to do with you. As for being "offended", remember what Ricky Gervais once said...

Offence, is never given, its taken. If you're not offended by something, then there was no offence, it's as simple as that. If you are offended by something, walk away. I'm offended by things all the time but I haven't got the right not to be offended, and remember this: just because someone is offended it doesn't mean they're right.

edited December 2017
  • Reply 17 of 17
    adm1 said:

Offence, is never given, its taken. If you're not offended by something, then there was no offence, it's as simple as that. If you are offended by something, walk away. I'm offended by things all the time but I haven't got the right not to be offended, and remember this: just because someone is offended it doesn't mean they're right.

This is generally true. As a friend of mine use to say 'don't take offence, take a gate'. Nevertheless Apple itself was founded on the principal that Jobs was sufficiently offended by what was dished up to the world that he wanted to change it. And he did. There are nuances of offence mine is more of a righteous offence if you will.