Review: Vinpok Bolt-S cable returns MagSafe-like technology to the USB-C MacBook Pro [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    dz1dz1 Posts: 1member
    Very deceptive marketing. They are not the first to sell a magnetic USB C cable for macbook like they claim they are. You can find similar ones on aliexpress with more wattage and cheaper as well, for delivery now, not in October. So this is nothing but a scam imo and indiegogo allow their website to be used to rip off consumers. I told indiegogo all this and so far their response was to do absolutely nothing.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 22 of 28
    WARNING: Garbage, Garbage, Garbage. I had high hopes. Took forever to get it. Used it for 4 days and it stopped working, more like fried. Even worse, it fried one on my Thunderbolt ports in the process. Stay away from this garbage.  You've been warned.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    WARNING: Garbage, Garbage, Garbage. I had high hopes. Took forever to get it. Used it for 4 days and it stopped working, more like fried. Even worse, it fried one on my Thunderbolt ports in the process. Stay away from this garbage.  You've been warned.
    We continue to test ours, in the interest of durability. So far, no issues. I'll address your concerns with the manufacturer.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    I signed up on Indiegogo and have now received my cable. So while I can't attest to its longevity, its not a scam, it works - this MBP is happily charging using it right now.

I've seen a series of postings on the Indiegogo site from users who have had problems and failures with their cables. I think there are bound to be some that do fail and I'd hope that Vinpok will stand behind their product, we shall see.

As a traveling Consultant, Magsafe and the protection it affords my laptop are extremely important to me and I was very sad to see it go from the latest MBP's. I still don't see why Apple couldn't have included the port for those of us that need/want Magsafe and just provided the option to charge through either USB-C or Magsafe. Maybe Apple themselves will produce a "Magsafe cable" if this product proves popular... I truly hope so.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    First, let me say that we were excited to see someone come out with a "New MagSafe" for the 87W 15" MacBook Pros (MBP).

We purchased six (6) of them…and all of them are on either 2016 or 2017 15" MBP models.

So at first we would seemingly get random times where the Vinpok's would just not charge the laptops. So we would unplug (via the magnet...leaving the lil' bit in the computers) wait a while…and then let the magnets snap together again…and it would seem to start charging.

But now this is happening more often…and for myself…the one on my work office desk has not worked at all for 2 days straight now. This Black one on my desk does not move around at all…it does NOT get coiled up or anything like that either...so it's NOT getting moved ever.

I’ve tried changing between the 4 USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports on the MBP…I've changed the lil' bits (that go into the computer USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 Ports...it just seems like once one of those cable parts decides to stop working it just stops...but if I switch to one of the other Vinpok cables (different bit or not)...like the one I've been carrying in my laptop bag that I hardly use...that one is working right now (at the moment). So I guess I'll start using it...if it stays consistent. However, we had another one that I just found out that person stopped using the cable once is failed and did not charge her laptop after 2 weeks. So I told her to try it again and see if it is a lil' random like mine was before it went out completely these last 2 days.

So right now...we cannot point to any type of pattern since this has happened with BOTH Black and Silver cables. I don't know what to say...obviously we got at least 2 out of 6 that were flaky after getting them and using them less than 2 weeks.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    We continue to test ours, in the interest of durability. So far, no issues. I'll address your concerns with the manufacturer.
    Did the manufactures get back to you Mike? If so what did they say?

It seems very hard to contact the manufactures...I found an email, but have not heard back...and now I just read this above...which has us worried especially since we are having trouble with at least 2 out of 6...the other 4 have not been used much.

Thanks for a great web site by the way...you site has been part of my reading for years and years. So thanks for all you do! :smile: 

• Reply 27 of 28
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    TEKRider said:
    Did the manufactures get back to you Mike? If so what did they say?

It seems very hard to contact the manufactures...I found an email, but have not heard back...and now I just read this above...which has us worried especially since we are having trouble with at least 2 out of 6...the other 4 have not been used much.

Thanks for a great web site by the way...you site has been part of my reading for years and years. So thanks for all you do! :smile: 

Nope. I'll try another avenue.

Appreciate the kind words.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Got mine the other day for my 2017 MBP 15" and it is charging fine.  However, I find that it disconnects WAY too easily - more so than any Magsafe I ever had. I use my MBP on the sofa - that's pretty much where it lives.  It moves from my lap to a clear spot on the sofa and back all day and night.  If the Bolt cable or connector touches anything while I'm moving the computer, it disconnects.  It's not a huge issue, but the number of short duration disconnect/reconnect events on my MBP have skyrocketed.  Not sure how this will influence battery life or battery performance long term.  Not super happy with this thing, but not super displeased either.  Meh I guess.