Apple begins selling $4999 27-inch iMac Pro with 8-core CPU, deliveries arrive Dec. 27

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited February 2020
Apple on Thursday kicked off sales of the iMac Pro, its first all-in-one professional-grade desktop, packing 8 Intel Xeon processing cores and 32 gigabytes of RAM into the entry-level $4,999 model. The first orders via Apple's website arrive just after Christmas.

Apple iMac Pro desktop computer

Though Apple's website still advertised a Dec. 14 launch date early Thursday, the company's official Apple Store app began taking preorders first. The iMac was unavailable for pickup, but delivers for free by Dec. 27 or 28.

The machine, intended for high-end demands, has a base configuration with an eight-core processor running at 3.2 gigahertz, 32 gigabytes of ECC DDR4 2666 RAM, a Vega 56 GPU with 8GB of VRAM, and 1 terabyte of flash storage. Configurations shipping in 2017 include a 10-core 3.0GHz processor, up to 4TB of storage, a Vega 64 GPU with 8GB of RAM, and up to 128GB of RAM.

Connectivity options include a SD card with UHS-II support, four Thunderbolt 3 ports, a 10 Gigabit Ethernet port, three USB 3.0 type A ports, and a headphone jack.

The display is 5K, with Apple's Wide Color display that spans the DCI-P3 gamut. Resolution is 5120 by 2880 with 500 nits of brightness.

The unit ships in Space Gray, with matching Lightning cable to charge the included Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad, and Magic Mouse 2. A Space Gray Magic Trackpad 2 is available for sale in conjunction with the unit.

At present, it is not clear if the unit will be stocked at Apple's retail stores. Adorama and B&H Photo, both Apple authorized resellers, are currently taking pre-orders for the iMac Pro with no sales tax on purchases shipped outside NY and NJ. A full list of deals can be found in our iMac Pro Price Guide.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    Did AppleInsider ordered one? 
  • Reply 2 of 59
    I’m tempted, that’s for sure...
    cornchipBacillus3
  • Reply 3 of 59
    I might just be getting one ,in a year or two.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 59
    sergioz said:
    Did AppleInsider ordered one? 
    We'll have one soon. Stay tuned.
    chiaforegoneconclusionbshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 59
    I really need to replace my aging iMac. I have no need of the iMac Pro, but gawd I really want one.
    tenthousandthingsScot1entropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 59
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Wasn’t the SE/30 the original Pro all-in-one?

i know it was a long time ago. 

The SE/30 was the machine on which I first learned Freehand & Page(Rage)Maker. 

I love how they just got this one in before the buzzer went off on 2017. Seems to be the typical Apple Pro Machine launch script now. 
    chiaxzutmaytenthousandthingscornchip
  • Reply 7 of 59
    TOP Performance ... TOP = Totally Obnoxious Pricing
  • Reply 8 of 59
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    polymnia said:

I love how they just got this one in before the buzzer went off on 2017. Seems to be the typical Apple Pro Machine launch script now. 
    I loved the SE/30. They tried to fake us out with the Classic II with 68030 a bit later, but the bus was wider on the the SE/30, and therefore, loads faster.
    chiakirkgraytmaygregoriusm
  • Reply 9 of 59
    Here we go...
    chiaRayz2016StrangeDaysbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 59
    polymnia said:

Won't disagree, but it wasn't officially "Pro" branded, under Apple's modern product naming scheme (which can be, admittedly, a mess).
    watto_cobraBacillus3
  • Reply 11 of 59
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Here we go...
    Yeah, I'm not looking forward to moderating this thread :/
    coxnvox7smiffy31entropyscornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 59
    polymnia said:

I started with design stuff on the SE/30 as well. Getting color with the IIsi was next level. (With the Mac anyway, technically first was the Koala Pad on C64)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 59
    TOP Performance ... Where TOP = Totally Obnoxious Pricing...
    Here we go...
    Don't get me wrong.. I love all Macs. I just won't be buying this one. If someone walked up to me and handed me $5000 with the stipulation that I could only spend it on Apple products to use for 3D Modeling and Video Editing ... I still wouldn't buy an iMac Pro.
  • Reply 14 of 59
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,248member
    Here we go...
    Please configure a stupid PC that comes anywhere near the power and price of the iMac Pro before spouting off these types of comments. When you find one, make sure it can actually run OTS software.
    Scot1watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 59
    VRingVRing Posts: 108member
    rob53 said:
    Here we go...
    Please configure a stupid PC that comes anywhere near the power and price of the iMac Pro before spouting off these types of comments. When you find one, make sure it can actually run OTS software.
    GamePC (Silicon Valley company that makes custom workstations) has Xeon W listed in their prices.

For comparison:

iMac Pro - $9,699 (same configuration that MKBHD had)
    • Intel Xeon W-2155 (downclocked)
    • Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB HBM2 (downclocked)
    • 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • 10 Gb network card
    • MacOS
    • 1 year warranty

GamePC GMT-W7/300 - $6,514 (PC) + $1,299 (Dell UP2715K display) = $7,813
    • Intel Xeon W-2155
    • Radeon Pro Vega Frontier Edition (Vega 64) 16 GB HBM2
    • 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • 10 Gb network card (2x)
    • Windows 10 Pro
    • 1 year warranty

That's $1,886 less for a more powerful workstation that can be upgraded and won't have thermal throttling.

Of course, that's just one company's price. 
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 16 of 59
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    VRing said:
    rob53 said:
    Here we go...
    GamePC (Silicon Valley company that makes custom workstations) has Xeon W listed in their prices.

For comparison:

• 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • 10 Gb network card
    • MacOS
    • 1 year warranty

GamePC GMT-W7/300 - $6,514 (PC) + $1,299 (Dell UP2715K display) = $,7,813
    • Intel Xeon W-2155
    • 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • Windows 10 Pro
    • 1 year warranty

That's $1,886 less for a more powerful workstation that can be upgraded and won't have thermal throttling.

I doubt that thermal throttling will be much of an issue with the iMac Pro, whatever the configuration. It might get noisy though for some workflows. I'll be keeping an eye on benchmarks just the same.  Not a huge premium for the iMac Pro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 59
    Nope, as has been discussed quite a bit here the pricing is similar to other same equipped workstations. You want 2-3x performance, it costs you. When has that ever not been the case? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 59
    The memory pricing is brutal. More or less as expected, but still disappointing. I wonder if the Mac Pro will be more cost-effective with third party RAM available. 

Why on earth didn’t they allow third party RAM on this machine?  I would really like to buy the base machine and upgrade over time. 
    edited December 2017 Scot1frankieboboliciousbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 59
    I'm sure you can find the exact same build on Dell for $999 /s
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 59
    VRing said:
    rob53 said:
    Here we go...

For comparison:

• 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • 10 Gb network card
    • MacOS
    • 1 year warranty

GamePC GMT-W7/300 - $6,514 (PC) + $1,299 (Dell UP2715K display) = $7,813
    • Intel Xeon W-2155
    • 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • Windows 10 Pro
    • 1 year warranty

- Where’s the Thunderbolt 3?
    - Where’s the secure enclave?
    - Can it be mounted on a VESA arm mount?
    - Can it run the much better macOS?

....Missing, missing, no, no. So it's not an equally capable system. (btw I love having my dev iMac arm mounted on my sit-stand desk, it's the ultimate in flexibility, ergonomics, and one clean looking work space).

Sorry but a bunch of crap shoved into an ugly box does not equal a Mac. 
    edited December 2017 boltsfan17rob53baconstangchiacornchipsennenwatto_cobra