Apple begins selling $4999 27-inch iMac Pro with 8-core CPU, deliveries arrive Dec. 27

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    The memory pricing is brutal. More or less as expected, but still disappointing. I wonder if the Mac Pro will be more cost-effective with third party RAM available. 

Why on earth didn’t they allow third party RAM on this machine?  I would really like to buy the base machine and upgrade over time. 
    While the RAM isn't user installable, it is socketed. So is the CPU.
    bshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 59
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    VRing said:
    rob53 said:
    TOP Performance ... TOP = Totally Obnoxious Pricing
    Here we go...
    Please configure a stupid PC that comes anywhere near the power and price of the iMac Pro before spouting off these types of comments. When you find one, make sure it can actually run OTS software.
    GamePC (Silicon Valley company that makes custom workstations) has Xeon W listed in their prices.

For comparison:

iMac Pro - $9,699 (same configuration that MKBHD had)
    • Intel Xeon W-2155 (downclocked)
    • Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB HBM2 (downclocked)
    • 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • 10 Gb network card
    • MacOS
    • 1 year warranty

GamePC GMT-W7/300 - $6,514 (PC) + $1,299 (Dell UP2715K display) = $7,813
    • Intel Xeon W-2155
    • Radeon Pro Vega Frontier Edition (Vega 64) 16 GB HBM2
    • 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • 10 Gb network card (2x)
    • Windows 10 Pro
    • 1 year warranty

That's $1,886 less for a more powerful workstation that can be upgraded and won't have thermal throttling.

Of course, that's just one company's price. 
    You lost me at Game PC. What design company buys no support computers from some company called Game PC that been around for a day and has web footprint the size of a gnat?
    rob53cornchippolymniawatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 59
    VRingVRing Posts: 108member
    metrix said:
    VRing said:
    rob53 said:
    Here we go...
    Please configure a stupid PC that comes anywhere near the power and price of the iMac Pro before spouting off these types of comments. When you find one, make sure it can actually run OTS software.
    GamePC (Silicon Valley company that makes custom workstations) has Xeon W listed in their prices.

For comparison:

• 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • 10 Gb network card
    • MacOS
    • 1 year warranty

• Intel Xeon W-2155
    • 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • Windows 10 Pro
    • 1 year warranty

That's $1,886 less for a more powerful workstation that can be upgraded and won't have thermal throttling.

You lost me at Game PC. What design company buys no support computers from some company called Game PC that been around for a day and has web footprint the size of a gnat?
    Alcatael, Avaya Communications, Boeing, General Dynamics, Gulfstream, Hitachi Global Storage, Icon Medialab, IEM, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Oceaneering, Rockwell Collins, Raytheon, SRI international, Verizon Laboratories, Bizzard Games, Breakaway Games, Demiurge Studios, Epic Games, Irrational Games, SunStorm Interactive, Duke University, Federal Aviation Administration, Gallaudet University, General Services Administration, Homeland Security, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, John Hopkins University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Monterey Navel Academy, NASA Jet Propulsion Lab, Standford University, United States Navy, University of California Berkeley, University of Minnesota, University of Buffalo and more.

They have many high profile clients and they've been around since 1985. 
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 24 of 59
    bshankbshank Posts: 255member
    It’s actually cheaper than a comparable custom PC configuration (with newer graphics cards etc)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 59
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    VRing said:
    metrix said:
    VRing said:
    rob53 said:
    Here we go...

For comparison:

• 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • 10 Gb network card
    • MacOS
    • 1 year warranty

• Intel Xeon W-2155
    • 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • Windows 10 Pro
    • 1 year warranty

Alcatael, Avaya Communications, Boeing, General Dynamics, Gulfstream, Hitachi Global Storage, Icon Medialab, IEM, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Oceaneering, Rockwell Collins, Raytheon, SRI international, Verizon Laboratories, Bizzard Games, Breakaway Games, Demiurge Studios, Epic Games, Irrational Games, SunStorm Interactive, Duke University, Federal Aviation Administration, Gallaudet University, General Services Administration, Homeland Security, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, John Hopkins University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Monterey Navel Academy, NASA Jet Propulsion Lab, Standford University, United States Navy, University of California Berkeley, University of Minnesota, University of Buffalo and more.

They have many high profile clients and they've been around since 1985. 
    You don't know when to quit do you? You're not going to convince anyone where that its better. Better is a vague term. Maybe its better spec wise, but that doesn't mean its a better computer in the end. I don't know why you just don't stop, you're not going to get anywhere. 
    edited December 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 59
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    kirkgray said:
    I really need to replace my aging iMac. I have no need of the iMac Pro, but gawd I really want one.
    I'm in the same boat.

I really need would like to replace my aging iMac Mac Mini. I have no need of the iMac Pro, but gawd I really want one. ;)

Edit: Actually, I'd be happy with an i5 iMac with low-end Vega card. Then I could ditch my PC that I use for gaming.
    edited December 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 59
    The memory pricing is brutal. More or less as expected, but still disappointing. I wonder if the Mac Pro will be more cost-effective with third party RAM available. 

Why on earth didn’t they allow third party RAM on this machine?  I would really like to buy the base machine and upgrade over time. 
    The amount of engineering that would have to go into something like this would most likely be quite immense, as I imagine it would have an effect on the design of the cooling system they designed specifically for the iMac Pro. The iMac Pro uses full sized ECC DDR4 RAM, not SODIMMs like on the regular 27" iMac. Also the new thermal core runs right down the center of the iMac Pro, which is exactly where the RAM access door is on the regular 27" iMac, again with much smaller SODIMM's installed. 

I don't think the fact that the RAM isn't expandable is really that big of a deal. It may be to some people, but the fact is that most places never open their computers, even if they could. They buy what as much as they can afford, use it until its not useful to them, and then buy new. I don't think this iMac is meant for some willynilly person who does something on the side and considers themselves a "Pro". Its for the design studios, the science labs, the machine learning labs, etc, etc. 

edited December 2017 StrangeDaysgregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 59
    macxpress said:

The amount of engineering that would have to go into something like this would most likely be quite immense, as I imagine it would have an effect on the design of the cooling system they designed specifically for the iMac Pro. The iMac Pro uses full sized ECC DDR4 RAM, not SODIMMs like on the regular 27" iMac. Also the new thermal core runs right down the center of the iMac Pro, which is exactly where the RAM access door is on the regular 27" iMac, again with much smaller SODIMM's installed. 

I don't think the fact that the RAM isn't expandable is really that big of a deal. It may be to some people, but the fact is that most places never open their computers, even if they could. They buy what as much as they can afford, use it until its no useful to them, and then buy new. I don't think this iMac is meant for some willynilly person who does something on the side and considers themselves a "Pro". Its for the design studios, the science labs, the machine learning labs, etc, etc. 
    Yes but don't tell the DIY tinkerers that, who despite the fact that they aren't in the market for this machine and won't be getting one feel compelled to criticize it against their personal wants.
    macxpresswatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 59
    macxpress said:

I don't think the fact that the RAM isn't expandable is really that big of a deal. It may be to some people, but the fact is that most places never open their computers, even if they could. They buy what as much as they can afford, use it until its no useful to them, and then buy new. I don't think this iMac is meant for some willynilly person who does something on the side and considers themselves a "Pro". Its for the design studios, the science labs, the machine learning labs, etc, etc. 
    Yes but don't tell the DIY tinkerers that, who despite the fact that they aren't in the market for this machine and won't be getting one feel compelled to criticize it against their personal wants.
    Yeah I hear ya! I guarantee you these same people find something to bitch about when Apple releases the new Mac Pro too. Usually something ridiculous too. And many of them weren't actually going to buy the iMac Pro or Mac Pro in the first place. 

I think a lot of these people don't understand this market. There are those that do, but many who don't. Its not there same market as a regular consumer. I think what some people do to consider themselves "Pro", they could easily get by with a 27" Core i7 iMac with decent amount of RAM. They're forgetting there's a difference between a nice to have and a need to have. Or, perhaps they're inexperienced so they don't know what they really need as insulting as that may sound to some. 
    edited December 2017 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 59
    VRing said:

For comparison:

• 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • 10 Gb network card
    • MacOS
    • 1 year warranty

• Intel Xeon W-2155
    • 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • Windows 10 Pro
    • 1 year warranty

WTF, Dell stopped making that display two years ago and did not replace it, so that's a price for a used one. The LG UltraFine 5K is the closest consumer display, but it can't match Apple's current 5K displays. I'm not sure what you would need to match them, and good luck with that. Maybe about $2000?

Plus, aren't you just saying, "Apple's RAM is more expensive than it needs to be" -- since that alone accounts for your price difference? Everyone here would agree with that. Just stop.
    StrangeDayschiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 59
    And as to the price comparison in the PC world, one needs to add a comparable display.  5K, wide-color, 500-nits etc.

PC-Counter-point would be use-what-I-have-for-now, and get great-5K later, but that's a dodge.
    StrangeDayschiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 59
    VRing said:

For comparison:

• 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • 10 Gb network card
    • MacOS
    • 1 year warranty

• Intel Xeon W-2155
    • 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • Windows 10 Pro
    • 1 year warranty

WTF, Dell stopped making that display two years ago and did not replace it, so that's a price for a used one. The LG UltraFine 5K is the closest consumer display, but it can't match Apple's current 5K displays. I'm not sure what you would need to match them, and good luck with that. Maybe about $2000?

Plus, aren't you just saying, "Apple's RAM is more expensive than it needs to be" -- since that alone accounts for your price difference? Everyone here would agree with that. Just stop.
    Didn't notice that was a used price, perhaps I missed that. The LG UltraFine panel is Apple's iMac panel (500 nit, P3, etc). The LG UltraFine 5K is $1,299 as well.

• Reply 33 of 59
    VRing said:
    VRing said:

For comparison:

• 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • 10 Gb network card
    • MacOS
    • 1 year warranty

• Intel Xeon W-2155
    • 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • Windows 10 Pro
    • 1 year warranty

Didn't notice that was a used price, perhaps I missed that. The LG UltraFine panel is Apple's iMac panel (500 nit, P3, etc). The LG UltraFine 5K is $1,299 as well.

And the UF5K is Thunderbolt 3.
    edited December 2017 VRingwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 59
    Nope, as has been discussed quite a bit here the pricing is similar to other same equipped workstations. You want 2-3x performance, it costs you. When has that ever not been the case? 
    I'm not arguing the price compared to the PC competition.  I'm arguing that there are Macs that cost thousands less that can be used to do the same job, with the same success.  
  • Reply 35 of 59
    VRing said:
    VRing said:

For comparison:

• 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • 10 Gb network card
    • MacOS
    • 1 year warranty

• Intel Xeon W-2155
    • 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • Windows 10 Pro
    • 1 year warranty

$100 extra for a ThunderboltEX card.

In short, we can say $1,399 for that display.
  • Reply 36 of 59
    Nope, as has been discussed quite a bit here the pricing is similar to other same equipped workstations. You want 2-3x performance, it costs you. When has that ever not been the case? 
    I'm not arguing the price compared to the PC competition.  I'm arguing that there are Macs that cost thousands less that can be used to do the same job, with the same success.  
    You can use a Ford Focus in a race too, but the Ferrari is so much faster in the end even though it costs a lot more. Its not the fact that other Macs can't do the job, of course they can. But in most Professional industries, time is money and if you look at the comparisons you will see substantial differences in the amount of time things take to completely their task versus the iMac Pro. 

However there are some tasks that the iMac Pro does that no other Mac can do, including the current Mac Pro. 
    edited December 2017 StrangeDays
  • Reply 37 of 59
    VRing said:
    VRing said:
    VRing said:

For comparison:

• 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • 10 Gb network card
    • MacOS
    • 1 year warranty

• Intel Xeon W-2155
    • 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • Windows 10 Pro
    • 1 year warranty

I haven't tried the GPU acceleration in that configuration yet. How is it?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 59
    Depends on how you measure success. There are some tasks the regular iMac GPUs will not be able to do, period. And there are some tasks that will take much, much longer. 

But it you think these machines do nothing better than regular macs, you’re nuts. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 59
    Depends on how you measure success. There are some tasks the regular iMac GPUs will not be able to do, period. And there are some tasks that will take much, much longer. 

But it you think these machines do nothing better than regular macs, you’re nuts. 
    How did people ever do their jobs before this day?  This miraculous day ... on which Apple has bestowed it's iMac Pro gift upon humanity?
  • Reply 40 of 59
    VRing said:
    VRing said:
    VRing said:

For comparison:

• 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • 10 Gb network card
    • MacOS
    • 1 year warranty

• Intel Xeon W-2155
    • 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • Windows 10 Pro
    • 1 year warranty

I haven't tried the GPU acceleration in that configuration yet. How is it?
    I can't say from personal experience, but I do know that's one of few routes of using a non-Mac on the UltraFine 4K or UltraFine 5K display.

Of course, given we still have a budget gap. For $3000, I'd personally pick up two of Dell's UP2718U 4K displays with local dimming (384 zones).

Flexibility is just another reason why I'm interested to hear about a new Mac Pro. All-in-one computers are often compromised with the benefit going to the aesthetics. 
    edited December 2017