Apple updates Final Cut Pro X to version 10.4, with 8K video editing, extended VR video su...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited April 2018
Acting as an early herald of iMac Pro sales, Apple has updated Final Cut Pro, with new features including editing full-resolution 8K video, and extension of 360-degree VR video support to Motion and Compressor.

Final Cut Pro lets professional editors create VR content with the ability to import, edit and deliver 360-degree video and view the project in real time through a connected HTC VIVE headset with SteamVR. Users can add 360-degree titles in 2D or 3D; apply blurs, glows and other immersive effects; and use visual controls to straighten horizons or remove camera rigs from videos.

Standard photos and videos can also be added to VR projects. Projects with 360-degree video can be shared directly to YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, and more.

The updated color wheels feature built-in controls to adjust hue, saturation and brightness. Color curves allow for ultra-fine color adjustments with multiple control points to target specific color ranges, and eye droppers let users sample specific colors and apply manual white balance.

Users can also apply custom lookup tables (LUTs) from color grading apps like DaVinci Resolve and websites including PremiumBeat and Color Grading Central.

With the update, Final Cut Pro gains access to an expanded range of brightness levels to deliver incredibly realistic images. Editors can output video to HDR monitors using devices from AJA and Blackmagic with brightness levels up to 10,000 nits. The new color grading tools support both HDR and Standard Dynamic Range video, and with tone mapping, users can easily change HDR to SDR output for broadcast.

Other features include iMovie project import, HEVC and HEIF support, updated audio effects plugins from Logic Pro X with resiable interfaces, and a better optical flow analysis built with Metal.

The previous version of Final Cut Pro X required macOS 10.12.4, with the updated version requiring 10.13.2.

Final Cut Pro X 10.4 is available as a free update today for existing users, and for $299.99 for new users on the Mac App Store. Motion 5.4 and Compressor 4.4 are also available as a free update today for existing users, and for $49.99 each for new users. Education customers can purchase the Pro Apps Bundle for Education for $199.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Horizon straightening! 

Been waiting for this. Looks like this is all about 3D — left and right, binocular, true stereo — video. 

Also paves the way for AR glasses, I would assume. Now all I have to do is learn to use it.
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 2 of 12
    flaneur said:
    Horizon straightening! 

Been waiting for this. Looks like this is all about 3D — left and right, binocular, true stereo — video. 

Also paves the way for AR glasses, I would assume. Now all I have to do is learn to use it.
    I've had good experience with Ripple Training: http://www.rippletraining.com/products/final-cut-pro/final-cut-pro-10-4-update-bundle/
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 12
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    flaneur said:
    Horizon straightening! 

I've had good experience with Ripple Training: http://www.rippletraining.com/products/final-cut-pro/final-cut-pro-10-4-update-bundle/
    Thanks for the tip!
  • Reply 4 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Oh Lordy, now I'll be looking at 8K video cameras!  Shoot me now.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    MacPro said:
    Also makes me wonder if Apple is working on an 8K display for the Mac Pro release? 
  • Reply 6 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    macxpress said:
    MacPro said:
    Also makes me wonder if Apple is working on an 8K display for the Mac Pro release? 
    9K probably ;)
  • Reply 7 of 12
    macxpress said:
    MacPro said:
    Wouldn't doubt it.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    It is not about resultion, but about space. How many times do I have to repeat that? Do you have any media or throuput ready for those levels of resolution to provide to audience at decent rate? Well if not then this is just useless number for now. As I said if you need 8K then bring 40+ inch displays capable of it - that would be more usefull at this state of technolgy and work process. Otherwise multimonitor with 2-4K displays could be better choice. It will change, but are we there yet?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Eager to test the new colour grading! It has been the only reason why I frequently use ColorFinale, Davinci Resolve, Koji Advance and such.. Is it up there, or is it still baby grading in comparison?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    All nice. But there is still no support for HEVC export in the latest FCPX :(
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Horrible update. Many issues and unwanted changes, including crashes and freezes. In particular, can no longer perform a gaussian blur. Either they changed it so dramatically as to be impossible to figure out (given that the entire product is basically undocumented), or it simply no longer works. I am considering purchasing a PC and some other PC based editing software because of this crappy update.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,556member
    Horrible update. Many issues and unwanted changes, including crashes and freezes. In particular, can no longer perform a gaussian blur. Either they changed it so dramatically as to be impossible to figure out (given that the entire product is basically undocumented), or it simply no longer works. I am considering purchasing a PC and some other PC based editing software because of this crappy update.
    This does not seem to be a general problem with 10.4, but rather some form of corruption that happens occasionally, and has for at least seven years, from a quick web search for "gaussian blur Final Cut Pro". 

In your place, I would try fixing the problem with your setup, rather than abandoning it. 

Have you tried the steps outlined here in this support thread? — 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7654905