Video: iPhone X vs Note 8 - Real World Comparison after 1 month

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    After one month?

Is that the only photo you took in that whole month?

What is the credibility of a reviewer whose usage pattern consists of one photo per month !!!
  • Reply 22 of 71
    bluefire1 said:
    Shane0527 said:
    FaceID is awful! I have to type in my passcode the majority of the time to access my phone. Need directions while you’re driving? Better pull over because you have to fully interact with the phone to unlock it to get directions. This is the iPhone I strongly dislike!
    I've never had an issue with Face ID.  Try this:
    Go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode and tap Reset Face ID. Then tap Set up Face ID to set it up again.
    Thank you.  I have been hesitant to doing this as I have read that FaceID is supposed to get better.  Since I am having an awful time with it, I just reset. Here is to hoping for the best!
  • Reply 23 of 71
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
      I would like to start out by saying I just signed up to post this. I have read this site for many years and have never read comments till today. I was curious about what people thought of this article. Interesting to say the least. 
      I have owned every I phone but the first and the 8 and x. The first three I had to have Att and Verizon because I was a Verizon customer. I have enjoyed all of them. 
      I have owned many android. Moto, Samsung, Htc and Lg. They have vastly improved over the years. I have enjoyed using them too which some more than others. 
      Now to get to my point. Everyone will like what they like. My issue with this article is it was biased on his opinion. I have I phone 7plus and a note eight I use daily. I love both phones. Apple has messed up my phone with 11 and it is just now getting close to where it was. It had been a while since I had lag on IPhone but 11 did it. My note has no lag at all I have had it for months. My hands are big and the phone is perfect for me. 
      People need to realize that are own bias affects how we feel about things. For me my 7 is not less than the new ones. Not worth the investment. I have 256 gb jet black. Beautiful phone. With the update Apple took away my favorite wall papers. I am still pissed about that. I have black note 8 with 256 gb card. Beautiful phone. 
      This is a wonderful site. I come here to get all my apple news but they could have just not done this article. To me it wasn’t done fairly. I hope what ever phones you own that you enjoy them as much as I do mine. I have spent way too much money over the years but it is like a hobby for me. 

Hi I have a iPhone 7Plus on Verizon and iPhone8Plus on ATT.    They are pretty close and I probably wouldn't upgrade from the 7Pluse to the 8Plus - I upgraded both from iPhoneSEs.   The only reason I like to look at Android reviews is because of Siri's bad performance.  I got the 8Plus because of the extra diskspace (256 GB) and wireless chargining.   I agree that the 7plus is pretty damn good and will wait a while to upgrade it (hopefully to the 9 plus) - the first time I used the zoom on the dual camera on the 7Plus I thought it was incredible.   Other that putting the headphone jack back there is little more I think that is needed on theses phones.    I looked at the X and just didn't think the screen did anything for me - too much money for the benefits.
    aylk
  • Reply 24 of 71
    I read this site everyday. Most articles are extremely detailed and articulate. 

This is one is amateur hour.
    I respect your opinion but feel the opposite way.

Max, I thought this was a balanced and objective review. Thank you.
    williamlondonentropysmuthuk_vanalingamjony0
  • Reply 25 of 71
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member
      I would like to start out by saying I just signed up to post this. I have read this site for many years and have never read comments till today. I was curious about what people thought of this article. Interesting to say the least. 
      I have owned every I phone but the first and the 8 and x. The first three I had to have Att and Verizon because I was a Verizon customer. I have enjoyed all of them. 
      I have owned many android. Moto, Samsung, Htc and Lg. They have vastly improved over the years. I have enjoyed using them too which some more than others. 
      Now to get to my point. Everyone will like what they like. My issue with this article is it was biased on his opinion. I have I phone 7plus and a note eight I use daily. I love both phones. Apple has messed up my phone with 11 and it is just now getting close to where it was. It had been a while since I had lag on IPhone but 11 did it. My note has no lag at all I have had it for months. My hands are big and the phone is perfect for me. 
      People need to realize that are own bias affects how we feel about things. For me my 7 is not less than the new ones. Not worth the investment. I have 256 gb jet black. Beautiful phone. With the update Apple took away my favorite wall papers. I am still pissed about that. I have black note 8 with 256 gb card. Beautiful phone. 
      This is a wonderful site. I come here to get all my apple news but they could have just not done this article. To me it wasn’t done fairly. I hope what ever phones you own that you enjoy them as much as I do mine. I have spent way too much money over the years but it is like a hobby for me. 

Well, the title does highlight "Real World Comparison after 1 month" so one would expect it's about the user's experience and not just specs and features. Hard not to be more subjective than objective in that case, no?
    watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 71
    Other than when watching videos, the notch is fine.”

then youre watching it wrong — the notch isn’t visible watching videos on the X, unless you specifinally choose to zoom-in the video, which i’ve never found a reason to do as it clips out the edges of content. 
    pscooter63napoleon_phoneapartwatto_cobrachabigjony0
  • Reply 27 of 71
    vision33r said:

Note 8 has a bad finger sensor, no doubt.  But once you get used to it, I much rather deal with that than the constant Apple Facelock challenge.   There is not one day you can just buy an app or song without having to deal with the annoyance of entering your passcode or password on the iPhone.  
    what are you talking about? the whole point of face id is that you don’t have to input the passcode. the only time i’m prompted to key it in is if i failed to look at it with my eyes, in which case i just tap cancel and re swipe to auth.
    williamlondonbb-15watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 28 of 71
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I find it interesting that every single time there's a Mac vs Windows, or iOS vs Android comparison article we get 2-3 people that sign up just to say how much the Apple stuff sucks and then we never hear from them again after the article/conversation fizzles out. 
    williamlondonrich gregorybb-15pscooter63StrangeDaysRayz2016mattinozchiawatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 29 of 71
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    Shane0527 said:
    bluefire1 said:
    Shane0527 said:
    FaceID is awful! I have to type in my passcode the majority of the time to access my phone. Need directions while you’re driving? Better pull over because you have to fully interact with the phone to unlock it to get directions. This is the iPhone I strongly dislike!
    Go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode and tap Reset Face ID. Then tap Set up Face ID to set it up again.
    Thank you.  I have been hesitant to doing this as I have read that FaceID is supposed to get better.  Since I am having an awful time with it, I just reset. Here is to hoping for the best!
    Thank you for coming back and being reasonable enough to take some advice and apply it to try and correct your Face ID issues.  Some people jumped to your defense earlier, but honestly the amount of trolls and their silly ranting comments has been out of control here for the last few months. I can see why people jumped to shut you down. 

Hopefully you can sort out that’s going on with your Face ID. I know a few family and friends that have the X ( I have the 8plus ) and don’t have the problems that you are having. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 71
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Shane0527 said:
    bluefire1 said:
    Shane0527 said:
    Note (no pun intended) that FaceID continues to learn your face as you use it. Unlike TouchID where it immediately learns your finger(s), FaceID Is continuously learning the shape of your face so as you said, it should start working better and better, getting more reliable in the end. This is why all of those I cracked FaceID videos were completely bullshit which I'm so glad they stopped. They simply don't understand how the technology works. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 71
    wlym said:

Well, the title does highlight "Real World Comparison after 1 month" so one would expect it's about the user's experience and not just specs and features. Hard not to be more subjective than objective in that case, no?
     You are correctbut he came across to me that he knew all and everyone agreed with him. I am all over the web , I do love cell phones. I just wish he hadn't sounded as though he was right. Many people would disagree. Yo are correct though.

• Reply 32 of 71
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

Ohhh, dear "unbiased observer" (sic), your own bias is a thick as sludge; reread your drone before talking about other's bias
    Your whining about bias in comparing two phones when you don't even use one of them!! WTH!!!!

The oh I have this, I have that, I own everything Apple has ever made and been a fan forever...
    before offering your so called "detached", compelled to register and save the poor people of this forum,, meta commentary.
    This kind of "comment" with a distinct emotional investment about need to correct "bias" is a damn cliche and always strain credibility.

The guy used the phones for a month and offered his own opinion about that month;
    Stop fluffing your own feather; your point if indeed it is authentic is just a unsupported anecdote, nothing else.
    This articles points are certainly no more biased than yours and considering that they are actually reasoned, even less so.

Considering that thermals and space considerations would be a lot more extreme in the IphoneX's smaller format (it has all the equipment of a much larger phone), if anything the "unfairness" would be in comparing it at all with the Notes, yet that shit doesn't bother you or many others at all seemingly.

BTW:  I've got nearly 35 years  computer, systems and software engineering and used computer products, OS of all makes and brands since the early 1980s (touched by first Apple product around late 1979, Unix around 1984 ), so I am biased of not?

Rayz2016Windspongechiawatto_cobrapscooter63jony0
  • Reply 33 of 71
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    I read this site everyday. Most articles are extremely detailed and articulate. 

This is one is amateur hour.
    Right... The slew of quick poster with the unprovable "I read it every day" ....  then a shitpost with nothing to prove their point.

Go away, don't think they'll miss your so called traffic.
    jony0
  • Reply 34 of 71
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Shane0527 said:
    rob53 said:
    Shane0527 said:
    What are you doing accessing your phone while you’re driving? That’s illegal in most states so quit complaining. 
    Um, as I said, looking for directions. I guess you never used a GPS before?  With TouchID... hey Siri I need directions to 123 any street. Siri responds asking to unlock phone. Touch the fingerprint scanner and off we go. Eyes never go off the road. FaceID ask the same question and now have to pull over to unlock phone. Also I must commend you that you have never, ever touched your phone while driving! 
    If this is really what happened, this is a bug in FaceID. You are able to see the iPhone X screen. FaceID should be able to see you too.  Then it should be waiting for you to unlock. 
    jony0
  • Reply 35 of 71
    LOL @ "Other than when watching videos, the notch is fine." 
  • Reply 36 of 71
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Just like death and taxes any article that dares to compare the iPhone with other flagships immediately brings out the first post wonders. I am especially amused by the one who said they have read this forum for years but have never read any comments or posted until now. And of course they wind up telling us how great their Samsung phone is. Right on cue.
    edited December 2017 ericthehalfbeeirnchrizwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 37 of 71
    macxpress said:
    Shane0527 said:
    bluefire1 said:
    Shane0527 said:
    Note (no pun intended) that FaceID continues to learn your face as you use it. Unlike TouchID where it immediately learns your finger(s), FaceID Is continuously learning the shape of your face so as you said, it should start working better and better, getting more reliable in the end. This is why all of those I cracked FaceID videos were completely bullshit which I'm so glad they stopped. They simply don't understand how the technology works. 
    Actually at the time Touch ID launched Apple said the same -- it got better the more you used it.
  • Reply 38 of 71

wburton23 said:
    LOL @ "Other than when watching videos, the notch is fine." 
    LOL @ first-post trolls who don't understand that video does not doesn't render in the notch area unless you choose to zoom in on the video via a double-tap. Which is stupid since it clips the sides off on either end of your video.

Reasons like this are why it's important for writers and editors to get their stuff straight before publishing. That line shouldn't have been included in the final draft.
    edited December 2017 Rayz2016watto_cobrachabigpscooter63
  • Reply 39 of 71
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member

1. There is bias or preferences throughout the tech industry and with tech ads/articles/comments.
    Take the ad by Samsung which criticized the iPhone for not having a removable battery. The Samsung fans at the time trashed the iPhone because it didn't have a removable battery. The next year Samsung put a sealed battery in the Galaxy and then Samsung fans were fine with it. That's bias. 
    - You could argue that fans of the iPhone do similar switches of opinion but that does not remove my point. Again there is bias throughout comments about tech. 
    * Experiences are affected by people's opinions and preferences. That's true of everyone including you, the writer of this article, and the comments in this thread including mine.

2. "My note has no lag at all." So, you think your one impression alone is fair?
    No. Your experience does not = the experience of all Note users. 
    Do a search for 'lag note 8' and several articles will come up which discuss the problem of lag on the Note 8. 

3. "lag on iPhone but 11 did it"
    Again, not all experiences using a phone are the same. Some have trouble with the official releases of iOS 11 (I'm not counting betas) and others don't. It depends on the user.

** Since your experiences do not = every tech user on earth, another person using tech can report in an AI article something different from what you believe.
    edited December 2017 watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 40 of 71
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    It would be great on article like this if you didn't tag the photo's with the phone name. Let people make up their own mind then disclose in the text which is smaller and requires focus to read.
    I know my bias is towards the iPhoneX and it's certainly the one I prefer out of both examples. Colour balance in the skin tones feels more natural and sets a better tone to the overall image. Blur effect is progressive with distance not just a flat mask. Oddly the green light in the pocket (why?) seems to mess with the iPhones image far more than the Note.
    edited December 2017