This week on AI: iMac Pro launch, Apple buys Shazam, FCC repeals net neutrality & more

Posted:
in General Discussion
Somehow news accelerated this week, even with the impending Christmas holiday -- the biggest stories being the launch of the iMac Pro, and Apple's takeover of song recognition service Shazam.

To keep up on the latest in the Apple world, download the official AppleInsider app, and subscribe to our email newsletter.

Everything you need to know:

• The iMac Pro went on sale Thursday for $4,999 > >
  • The Shazam acquisition is rumored to be worth as much as $400 million > >
  • Apple is investing $390 million in 3D laser production > >
  • Final Cut Pro X was updated with 8K and expanded VR support > >
  • Apple is rumored to have picked up a sci-fi show from the creator of the "Battlestar Galactica" reboot > >
  • It might be possible to get an iPhone X in time for Christmas > >
  • The FCC voted to repeal net neutrality > >
For in-depth discussion of this week's hottest stories, listen to the AppleInsider podcast. Subscribe here, or stream the embed below:

A roundup of all of our hottest stories this week:

Apple begins selling $4999 27-inch iMac Pro with 8-core CPU, deliveries arrive Dec. 27

Apple acquires song identifying app Shazam for undisclosed sum

iMac Pro debuts custom Apple T2 chip to handle secure boot, password encryption, more

Apple grants Finisar $390M for research & production on laser tech used in iPhone X

Apple updates Final Cut Pro X to version 10.4, with 8K video editing, extended VR video support

Apple buys original space drama TV series from 'Battlestar Galactica' creator

iPhone X delivery times improve worldwide, down to 1-3 days in some markets

Apple pushes back against shareholder measures on human rights & greenhouse gases

Apple may fix aging battery issues, prevent random shutdowns by slowing down iPhones

Apple donates $1M to southern California fire relief

GymKit for Apple Watch makes North American premiere

Apple now allows all developers to offer app pre-orders on App Store

Apple used data from iOS app to resolve 196 environmental supplier violations in China

Apple expands Everyone Can Code program to almost 500,000 Chicago students

Apple's 14- & 18-core iMac Pro configurations won't ship until 2018

Apple updates AirPort firmware with KRACK vulnerability fix

Apple releases promised iOS 11.2.1 and tvOS 11.2.1 update, restoring shared HomeKit access

Apple releases first iOS 11.2.5, watchOS 4.2.2, tvOS 11.2.5 betas

Apple ready to expand Advanced Manufacturing Fund beyond $1B, COO says

'Intentional' event redirects cloud traffic from Apple, Google & others through Russia

Logic Pro X updated to take advantage of high core counts in the iMac Pro, future Mac Pro

FCC votes to undo net neutrality protections despite public protests

Amazon spokeswoman confirms Apple TV 4K being processed for return to sale

Video: Which iMac Pro configuration is right for you?

Court rejects US bid to intervene in Apple's appeal of EU tax ruling

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Seems a great machine but don’t understand why no touch bar. If they want devs to expand its functionality why not give them the facilities seeing how much you are already spending. 

I was with a friend in Saturn, a electronics store, in Berlin today and he bought his dad a google home mini. As you said, for €33 what’s there really to loose! We checked out the amazon echo too and I was really surprised how good their voices were. It’s the first time I have noticed how behind Siri is. Perhaps when the HomePod comes out it will be fun to use besides being a useful assistant! 
  • Reply 2 of 5
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    scoony7 said:
    Seems a great machine but don’t understand why no touch bar. If they want devs to expand its functionality why not give them the facilities seeing how much you are already spending. 

I was with a friend in Saturn, a electronics store, in Berlin today and he bought his dad a google home mini. As you said, for €33 what’s there really to loose! We checked out the amazon echo too and I was really surprised how good their voices were. It’s the first time I have noticed how behind Siri is. Perhaps when the HomePod comes out it will be fun to use besides being a useful assistant! 

There's a lot of engineering that would need to take place to put something like that into a wireless keyboard and keep it as secure as Apple wants it to be and also not continuously drain the battery at the same time. Its not as easy as just take the MPB version and slap it into the Apple wireless keyboard. 
    xzujSnivelychasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    scoony7 said:
    No disrespect to the people that love the Touch Bar, but I'm hoping Apple realizes it maybe wasn't such a great move and does some backtracking.

macxpress said:
    There's a lot of engineering that would need to take place to put something like that into a wireless keyboard and keep it as secure as Apple wants it to be and also not continuously drain the battery at the same time. Its not as easy as just take the MPB version and slap it into the Apple wireless keyboard. 
    I think they need to figure that out, and then make it optional across all the systems (if they intend to keep it).
  • Reply 4 of 5
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    I think the next evolution of OLED or that other technology Apple has been investigating may grant your wish. Put me down as someone who loves the touch bar, it's a fab idea.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    chasm said:
    I think the next evolution of OLED or that other technology Apple has been investigating may grant your wish. Put me down as someone who loves the touch bar, it's a fab idea.
    I kind of like the concept of the Touch Bar, and it's pretty... adds some color.

The main problem is that I don't really want a touch-surface right above my number keys as it's too easy to brush.

And, it isn't too useful for virtual keys, because you have to look down at it. It's nice for sliders or stuff like that I suppose, but aside from having to 'grab' an on-screen item, wouldn't a mouse or trackpad be just as good as a virtual slider?