Video: iPhone X vs Note 8 - Real World Comparison after 1 month

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    Shane0527 said:
    FaceID is awful! I have to type in my passcode the majority of the time to access my phone. Need directions while you’re driving? Better pull over because you have to fully interact with the phone to unlock it to get directions. This is the iPhone I strongly dislike!
    FaceID has issues with Troll Identification.  Not a problem here at AI.
    StrangeDayscornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 71
    I read this site everyday. Most articles are extremely detailed and articulate. 

This is one is amateur hour.
    I respect your opinion but feel the opposite way.

Max, I thought this was a balanced and objective review. Thank you.
    I think he meant the writing style - I too felt it was not on par with the usual standard of AI articles. And, proof reading was pretty poor, too.
  • Reply 43 of 71
    Shane0527 said:
    FaceID is awful! I have to type in my passcode the majority of the time to access my phone. Need directions while you’re driving? Better pull over because you have to fully interact with the phone to unlock it to get directions. This is the iPhone I strongly dislike!
    FaceID is working for me 10 out of 10. How in the world yours is not I have no clue, but try turning off Require Attention so you don't have to look at the camera next time, see if if that helps. The only drawback, someone could unlock your phone by pointing it to your face.
    flashfan207watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 71
    Also, am I the only one who found the notch 'disappear' after using it for a week? Funny how I had never notice it anymore.
    flashfan207watto_cobrachabig
  • Reply 45 of 71
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    If iPhone X+, 6.5” is true, Samsung is fucked next year. I don’t see how they can make a bigger phone than the 3-mile- long Note 8.
    watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 46 of 71
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
      I would like to start out by saying I just signed up to post this. I have read this site for many years and have never read comments till today. I was curious about what people thought of this article. Interesting to say the least. 
      I have owned every I phone but the first and the 8 and x. The first three I had to have Att and Verizon because I was a Verizon customer. I have enjoyed all of them. 
      I have owned many android. Moto, Samsung, Htc and Lg. They have vastly improved over the years. I have enjoyed using them too which some more than others. 
      Now to get to my point. Everyone will like what they like. My issue with this article is it was biased on his opinion. I have I phone 7plus and a note eight I use daily. I love both phones. Apple has messed up my phone with 11 and it is just now getting close to where it was. It had been a while since I had lag on IPhone but 11 did it. My note has no lag at all I have had it for months. My hands are big and the phone is perfect for me. 
      People need to realize that are own bias affects how we feel about things. For me my 7 is not less than the new ones. Not worth the investment. I have 256 gb jet black. Beautiful phone. With the update Apple took away my favorite wall papers. I am still pissed about that. I have black note 8 with 256 gb card. Beautiful phone. 
      This is a wonderful site. I come here to get all my apple news but they could have just not done this article. To me it wasn’t done fairly. I hope what ever phones you own that you enjoy them as much as I do mine. I have spent way too much money over the years but it is like a hobby for me. 

No one takes people with a few posts seriously. Next!
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 47 of 71
    "Because of that, we have face unlock, iris scanning, and fingerprint scanning."

Why does he say "WE" have, referring to an Android phone. This seems like blatant bias. 
    watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 48 of 71
    kevin kee said:
    Also, am I the only one who found the notch 'disappear' after using it for a week? Funny how I had never notice it anymore.
    Lol, me too. But I guess it’s the way some people watch videos. And if it bugs them, do they not know to double-tap the screen to reformat the image to its original size and not use the notch? Some things seriously get blown out of proportion...
    watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 49 of 71
    Shane0527 said:
    LOL.  I have to agree.  But you knew fanboys were going to swarm all over you, right.
    Nonsense, we just know bullshit when we see it. To call those of us who actually have and use the product trolls is another troll tactic and against forum rules. 
    edited December 2017 watto_cobraRonnnieOpscooter63
  • Reply 50 of 71
    kevin kee said:
    Lol, me too. But I guess it’s the way some people watch videos. And if it bugs them, do they not know to double-tap the screen to reformat the image to its original size and not use the notch? Some things seriously get blown out of proportion...
    They must know, because by default it does not render in the notch area — you must actively choose to zoom in on a video to have it render around the notch. Again, the default behavior does not do this. 
    flashfan207watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 71
    vision33r said:
    Although I don't disagree with the articles findings but nobody that uses the Note 8 is going to go back to iOS devices.  That's because most people left iPhones are for other reasons that Apple refuses to address.  I use both iPhone and Android but I prefer Android overall because it just works better for me.  I can tailor settings on Android the way I like it without dealing with Apple's their way or the high way.  I was using the iPhone 7 Plus for 3 months and I simply had it with the lack of headphone jack.  I use my BT headphones everyday but when it's out of juice I have my spare earphones that I can plug in and I simply hate using the dongle which prevents me from charging.

The other issue that most people hate about iPhones is that truly it is the worst media unfriendly device.  You can't just stick in any media file and just open video play and play it.  You have to use iTunes.  

Until Apple figures out nobody likes iTunes they will one day get left behind by Streaming media sites and Google.  

Note 8 has a bad finger sensor, no doubt.  But once you get used to it, I much rather deal with that than the constant Apple Facelock challenge.   There is not one day you can just buy an app or song without having to deal with the annoyance of entering your passcode or password on the iPhone.  
    You may be right about the headphone thing, although I cannot speak on that as I have never used my BT headphones for a longer period of time than the batteries would last, so I haven’t experienced that problem. 

What I CAN say with absolute certainty is that you are most definitely NOT forced to post your media in iTunes. I personally hate iTunes and have successfully avoided it since the iPhone 4 was released. For videos I love Infuse and VLC and for music I used VOX before I signed up for Apple Music. Try them out. Especially Infuse, it’s awesome. Also, they are recognized as file sharing apps so you can plunk anything into them after a file transfer via iTunes when connected to your computer or me personal favourite, AirDrop. 
    watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 52 of 71
    kevin kee said:
    They must know, because by default it does not render in the notch area — you must actively choose to zoom in on a video to have it render around the notch. Again, the default behavior does not do this. 
    True. Then I certainly do not understand the complaints while watching video. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 71
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    vision33r said:
    Although I don't disagree with the articles findings but nobody that uses the Note 8 is going to go back to iOS devices.  That's because most people left iPhones are for other reasons that Apple refuses to address.  I use both iPhone and Android but I prefer Android overall because it just works better for me.  I can tailor settings on Android the way I like it without dealing with Apple's their way or the high way.  I was using the iPhone 7 Plus for 3 months and I simply had it with the lack of headphone jack.  I use my BT headphones everyday but when it's out of juice I have my spare earphones that I can plug in and I simply hate using the dongle which prevents me from charging.

The other issue that most people hate about iPhones is that truly it is the worst media unfriendly device.  You can't just stick in any media file and just open video play and play it.  You have to use iTunes.  

Until Apple figures out nobody likes iTunes they will one day get left behind by Streaming media sites and Google.  

Note 8 has a bad finger sensor, no doubt.  But once you get used to it, I much rather deal with that than the constant Apple Facelock challenge.   There is not one day you can just buy an app or song without having to deal with the annoyance of entering your passcode or password on the iPhone.  
    You may be right about the headphone thing, although I cannot speak on that as I have never used my BT headphones for a longer period of time than the batteries would last, so I haven’t experienced that problem. 

What I CAN say with absolute certainty is that you are most definitely NOT forced to post your media in iTunes. I personally hate iTunes and have successfully avoided it since the iPhone 4 was released. For videos I love Infuse and VLC and for music I used VOX before I signed up for Apple Music. Try them out. Especially Infuse, it’s awesome. Also, they are recognized as file sharing apps so you can plunk anything into them after a file transfer via iTunes when connected to your computer or me personal favourite, AirDrop. 
    I've put videos on my own DLNA servers since the 3GS! Currently use VLC. Can still use the 3GS for that, though its horrible for any web use (essentially unusable especially since safari on ios 6 is far from current web standards). As soon as I could get away from Itunes on windows I did, it has always been terrible from the very beginning.
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 54 of 71
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    vision33r said:

You don’t have to use iTunes to play media, you can use apps like vlc or infuse.  I think the only time I have used iTunes recently was to backup and restore my iPhone to iPhone X and load on new ringtones.  Other than that I use Apple Music for music streaming.  You know, Apples streaming service? You heard of that?

I have used Bluetooth headsets since before they removed the headset port and haven’t had my batteries run out as the headphones I use all have 20hrs plus of battery life.  If I was going to use plugin headphones I would just leave the adaptor on the end of them.  Why would you worry about using a dongle and charging on the 7 plus when you get more than a day of constant use out of it?  You seem to be trolling out arguments used by non iPhone owning people? 

Also, if you don’t have an iPhone X then what do you know about the face lock challenge? If you have to pickup your phone to unlock it by searching around for the fingerprint sensor then you already spent longer unlocking than anyone using FaceID on an X.
    flashfan207StrangeDays
  • Reply 55 of 71
    glynhglynh Posts: 133member
    I read this site everyday. Most articles are extremely detailed and articulate. 

This is one is amateur hour.
    I respect your opinion but feel the opposite way.

Max, I thought this was a balanced and objective review. Thank you.

Max's Mum! :)
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 56 of 71
    Shane0527 said:
    I don’t have to unlock my iPhone X to get directions. I can ask Siri to give me directions and navigation starts up without unlocking. I don’t know why it’s different for you but my experience is quite different and repeatable. 
    watto_cobrachia
  • Reply 57 of 71
    Shane0527 said:
    Works 99% of the time for me, unless I have it at an extreme angle. Maybe your phone doesn’t like your face.
  • Reply 58 of 71
    Seems a very fair review. :)
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 59 of 71
    Shane0527 said:
    LOL.  I have to agree.  But you knew fanboys were going to swarm all over you, right.
    Nonsense, we just know bullshit when we see it. To call those of us who actually have and use the product trolls is another troll tactic and against forum rules. 
    Obviously you don’t know BS when you see it. I have reset FaceID and it is working better. Thank you for your informative and insiteful information to help with my situation. Oh wait you didn’t, you just know how to spew discontent. Merry Christmas!
    gatorguymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 60 of 71

longfang said:
    Shane0527 said:
    Works 99% of the time for me, unless I have it at an extreme angle. Maybe your phone doesn’t like your face.
    And I am the one being called a troll? That was some great information you provided there! Thank you!
    muthuk_vanalingam