Video: iPhone X vs Note 8 - Real World Comparison after 1 month

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    Shane0527 said:
    Shane0527 said:
    FaceID is awful! I have to type in my passcode the majority of the time to access my phone. Need directions while you’re driving? Better pull over because you have to fully interact with the phone to unlock it to get directions. This is the iPhone I strongly dislike!
    LOL.  I have to agree.  But you knew fanboys were going to swarm all over you, right.
    Nonsense, we just know bullshit when we see it. To call those of us who actually have and use the product trolls is another troll tactic and against forum rules. 
    Obviously you don’t know BS when you see it. I have reset FaceID and it is working better. Thank you for your informative and insiteful information to help with my situation. Oh wait you didn’t, you just know how to spew discontent. Merry Christmas!
    Had you actually asked for help, I and others would gladly have offered solutions to assist you. But you didnt. Instead you wrote this bit of useless whining:
    FaceID is awful! I have to type in my passcode the majority of the time to access my phone. Need directions while you’re driving? Better pull over because you have to fully interact with the phone to unlock it to get directions. This is the iPhone I strongly dislike!
    ...which is, indeed, bullshit. Face ID is not awful, it works fine. And it is not designed to be used while, uh, driving. Evidently you did something wrong and have since walked back your complaints. 

Next time don't lead with BS if youre actually looking for help. Which you werent. 
    edited December 2017 watto_cobrachia
  • Reply 62 of 71
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Shane0527 said:

Nonsense, we just know bullshit when we see it. To call those of us who actually have and use the product trolls is another troll tactic and against forum rules. 
    Obviously you don’t know BS when you see it. I have reset FaceID and it is working better. Thank you for your informative and insiteful information to help with my situation. Oh wait you didn’t, you just know how to spew discontent. Merry Christmas!
    Shane (and any other new member), if you're going to stick around awhile and remain active posting you're going to have to be a bit patient and get to know the players. There's a small handful of aggressive members who jump to circle the wagons, stomp their feet, and lob a few ad-homs in order to discredit those they disagree with.  Don't get dragged into replying in kind. It's not a good reflection on Apple fandom, nor useful for encouraging discussions, and fortunately most members here are not like that. 

With that said be honest in posts and comments. Folks here are pretty knowledgable and can smell bull-hockey. 
    edited December 2017 muthuk_vanalingamjony0
  • Reply 63 of 71
    Shane0527 said:
    rob53 said:
    Shane0527 said:
    What are you doing accessing your phone while you’re driving? That’s illegal in most states so quit complaining. 
    Um, as I said, looking for directions. I guess you never used a GPS before?  With TouchID... hey Siri I need directions to 123 any street. Siri responds asking to unlock phone. Touch the fingerprint scanner and off we go. Eyes never go off the road. FaceID ask the same question and now have to pull over to unlock phone. Also I must commend you that you have never, ever touched your phone while driving! 
    I have an iPhone X and use Siri in this exact manner in my car. I've never had to do a FaceID in order to start navigation. It works in exactly the same manner as my previous iPhones. "Hey Siri, take me to XYZ" will find the location and immediately start navigation.

Edit: If you go into FaceID & Passcode settings, you can allow Siri when locked which makes it much more useful as an assistant.
    edited December 2017 watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 64 of 71
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    theotherphil said:

I have an iPhone X and use Siri in this exact manner in my car. I've never had to do a FaceID in order to start navigation. It works in exactly the same manner as my previous iPhones. "Hey Siri, take me to XYZ" will find the location and immediately start navigation.
    I sort of agree with the original poster on one point - that you should pull over before engaging either the maps app or asking Siri for directions because she just may decide that XYZ is 3,000 miles away instead of just the other side of town. If that happens, which occurs more often than it should, you are definitely going to be taking your eyes off the road.
  • Reply 65 of 71
    gatorguy said:
    Shane0527 said:

Shane (and any other new member), if you're going to stick around awhile and remain active posting you're going to have to be a bit patient and get to know the players. There's a small handful of aggressive members who jump to circle the wagons, stomp their feet, and lob a few ad-homs in order to discredit those they disagree with.  Don't get dragged into replying in kind. It's not a good reflection on Apple fandom, nor useful for encouraging discussions, and fortunately most members here are not like that. 

With that said be honest in posts and comments. Folks here are pretty knowledgable and can smell bull-hockey. 
    Nice job smearing others without facts or reason. Shall we talk about your longstanding agenda, Googleguy?

Anyway. We’re not stomping our feet with those we don’t agree with, we just know trolls. You don’t even have an iphone or understand how they work (your most absurd FUD smearing — ‘Face ID won’t let your spouse answer your phone!’) so it’s a bit rich for you to whiteknight and virtue signal here. 
  • Reply 66 of 71
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:
    Shane0527 said:

Nice job smearing others without facts or reason. Shall we talk about your longstanding agenda, Googleguy?

Anyway. We’re not stomping our feet with those we don’t agree with, we just know trolls. You don’t even have an iphone or understand how they work (your most absurd FUD smearing — ‘Face ID won’t let your spouse answer your phone!’) so it’s a bit rich for you to whiteknight and virtue signal here. 
    If you recognize yourself as part of the crowd I was referring to I can't help that. I didn't mention you, even removing any reference to you in that post if there was one. I don't think that there was but I'm not going to be bothered to go back and look as I wasn't trying to call out any specific poster. Most know who they are.  If the description sounds familiar that's on you. 
    edited December 2017 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 67 of 71
    Shane0527 said:
    Shane this is a great point. I'm as big an Apple fanboy as it gets, still on a 6S Plus. But I'm in the car quite a bit and I use my phone for GPS as well as doing quick things at traffic lights i.e. changing music. Holding a phone to my face isn't really an option. I'll be upgrading very soon, and thanks to your post I'll be going with the 8 Plus. 
  • Reply 68 of 71
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    Shane0527 said:
    FaceID has nothing to do with that: first of all, you can simply say "Hey Siri, directions to [your destination]" and it will start TELLING you the directions ... you're not supposed to be looking at the screen while driving. Second, you probably have "do not disturb while driving" on, which is going to block you using Face ID for the above-mentioned reasons. The iPhone X isn't going to help you cause accidents, troll, sorry about that. Maybe try the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 -- it doesn't care if you live or die, and I hear the iris scanning shooting infrared *directly into your eyes* is great for your vision!
    jony0
  • Reply 69 of 71
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member

My issue with this article is it was biased on his opinion.
    Um ... it is his INFORMED opinion based on real world use. What did you think it would be based on? Everybody who has both of these top phones (which would be a very small group, I should think) is going to have an opinion on which is better. Some will reach the same conclusions as presented here -- for the same reasons -- and some will reach a different conclusion (probably for different reasons: that far more accurate colour in the iPhone X's photos isn't an opinion, that's a fact).

Nowhere in the article did it say that the Galaxy Note 8 is junk. The Note 8 is clearly a world-class phone, but as with anything that is different to another world-class thing, it's a matter of priority and personal taste on a lot of it. That is ... well, that's how reviews work. I'm a little astonished you don't seem to be aware of that. People who think analog headphone jacks are the bomb are, rather obviously, going to have a higher opinion of the Note 8 than they would the iPhone X (to give just one example). Likewise, people who like security are going to think more of the iPhone X than the Note 8.

I don't own either one. I'm *very* happy Samsung appears to have worked out the battery issues. I'm *very* happy that the iPhone X embraces a number of technologies -- and seemingly does them much better -- that were desirable in other phones. Given the security issues (and the inferior biometrics) with most Android phones, I'll stick to iPhones for the time being, but that doesn't mean the best Android phones aren't or can't be great. What's great is that there's a market for more than one type of smartphone, so people can work out what best suits THEIR needs.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 70 of 71
    vision33r said:
    Although I don't disagree with the articles findings but nobody that uses the Note 8 is going to go back to iOS devices.  That's because most people left iPhones are for other reasons that Apple refuses to address.  I use both iPhone and Android but I prefer Android overall because it just works better for me.  I can tailor settings on Android the way I like it without dealing with Apple's their way or the high way.  I was using the iPhone 7 Plus for 3 months and I simply had it with the lack of headphone jack.  I use my BT headphones everyday but when it's out of juice I have my spare earphones that I can plug in and I simply hate using the dongle which prevents me from charging.

The other issue that most people hate about iPhones is that truly it is the worst media unfriendly device.  You can't just stick in any media file and just open video play and play it.  You have to use iTunes.  

Until Apple figures out nobody likes iTunes they will one day get left behind by Streaming media sites and Google.  

Note 8 has a bad finger sensor, no doubt.  But once you get used to it, I much rather deal with that than the constant Apple Facelock challenge.   There is not one day you can just buy an app or song without having to deal with the annoyance of entering your passcode or password on the iPhone.  

There's nothing wrong with the 
  • Reply 71 of 71
    ChefMeat ChefMeat Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Crapple... $HIT