New Apple AirPods with smaller components could launch in late 2018

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Adambomb said:
    They need to be able to MUTE the microphone for phone calls on the ear pieces
    I’d prefer this to be done via the phone/watch but that’s me. It’s alreayd super easy to do on phone while ok call using AP. I’d like it if the AW had the mute button on screen too. 

We we love ours. I use them for work calls during the day, my workouts at the gym, and then for netflix on the ipad at bedtime (or via the Apple TV). For netflix viewing it is so great to move about the bathroom and kitchen without interrupting the content. No wires in bed is also awesome. (white noise apps are cool too, such as Storm Sim with its custom layered storms and timers)
    edited December 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 32
    I know these things are small as hell, and are very popular, i absolutely love mine, but this must be the only product Apple can't keep up with the demand for, Looking forward to seeing what they do with the next release of them, also means I probably won't see the need to buy the new case when the AirPower is eventually released if the new ones are on the way.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 32
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    brucemc said:
    Any speculation as to what updated AirPods would have?  Better battery life would seem to be one.  Perhaps some sound cancelling functionality.  BT5 support.

As I have said many times, a few additional colours would help drive demand.
    Why is better battery life a given?  The thing you charge - the case - already lasts a week.  Although AirPods are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, I can't imagine wearing/using them for more than 2-3 hours at a time.  And they last that long already.  And then you just stick them into their case while you go eat lunch or to the toilet ;-)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 32
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member

flaneur said:
    tjwolf said:
    No surprise here. :) This is what Apple does. I love mine. It's the most Apple-like device I've bought recently! By that I mean, no one else has come close to duplicating the beautiful design and features!

Reminds me when I got the first iPod Shuffle. White, one little light, very simple design. And it achieved 80% market share the Friday after it was released! :)

Best.

P.S. I would really recommend them to everyone. :)
    Completely agree.  While the Apple Watch has helped me (finally) to shed quite a few pounds and live healthier, the AirPods are truly a pleasure to use.  There's just no describing the feeling of not fumbling with or untangling wires, of not having to answer Bluetooth connection questions, of not having to preface a Siri request with "Hey Siri", of almost never having to consciously having to charge the things (the Airpods' charge lasts long enough than I care to keep any device in my ear at a time; after putting them in their case for just a few minutes, they're ready to bring it on again.  I only charge the case once a week.)

Even the lack of volume control and skip track - which I initially griped about - turns out to be a non-issue.  At least for Apple Watch owners - since when you play music, those controls automatically appear on the watch face.  Volume control is adjusted by turning the crown, you get skip/back/pause, and track title too.

My only continued quibbles with AirPods are minor and revolve around the design: I don't have particularly big hands, but sometimes I struggle to get those things out of their case.  They're so damn slippery and rounded - no place to get a grip!  Also, I found out the hard way that while the AirPods themselves are relatively water proof, the case definitely is not!  So don't do like me and forget them in your jeans pocket when you start the wash :-(   Maybe a rubber seal around the lid?  That would also help with the loud sound whenever you close the lid - has woken up my wife on a couple occasion (the lid is slippery too!).  Also, things get pretty cruddy around the hinges if you keep 'em in your pocket.
    As Gruber's video showed, we're supposed to rotate them out of their recesses in the case by pushing out at the top. In other words, put your finger in the gap where the light is and push out, right for the right one, then left for the left one.

Easy, but you have to do it with awareness. Very Zen. Gruber's video is how I found out about the trick.

You're awesome man - Thanks!  Can't believe how easy it is - and, sadly, why I've never (except maybe by chance) tried it that way!  I nearly always do it the 'wrong' way :-)
    Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 32
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    So let me get this straight: Apple is working on improving and making the Airpods smaller in the future?

Apparently, Apple is going to take a product that sells extremely well, then iteratively improve it. How are they able to figure out what Apple is going to do? Simply amazing.
    Rayz2016watto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Adambomb said:
    They need to be able to MUTE the microphone for phone calls on the ear pieces
    Some on-hold music for the person waiting might be kind of cool also. ;)
  • Reply 27 of 32
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    tjwolf said:
    brucemc said:
    Any speculation as to what updated AirPods would have?  Better battery life would seem to be one.  Perhaps some sound cancelling functionality.  BT5 support.

As I have said many times, a few additional colours would help drive demand.
    Why is better battery life a given?  The thing you charge - the case - already lasts a week.  Although AirPods are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, I can't imagine wearing/using them for more than 2-3 hours at a time.  And they last that long already.  And then you just stick them into their case while you go eat lunch or to the toilet ;-)
    I have had mine for a year now, so certainly well aware of the use cases.  I use them across all my Apple devices on most days.  I think some incremental battery life would be beneficial, especially for calls. While playback might be close to 5 hours, when I am on back-to-back conference calls they are often run completely dry in less than 2 hours.  I know - you only need to have 1 - and I do that - but much prefer the stereo sound with both.

Not a biggie, but more in that area would be useful.
    watto_cobramavemufc
  • Reply 28 of 32
    I’m I the only one that would like to hear my voice through the AirPods when calling? When I call someone it always feels kinda deaf. 
  • Reply 29 of 32
    I would like the guts of airpods inside a custom molded set of earpieces.  Does anyone make this?
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 30 of 32
    I would like the guts of airpods inside a custom molded set of earpieces.  Does anyone make this?
    Like: you walk into an Apple store, a genius measures your ear, and half an hour later you walk away with perfect fitting EarPods?
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Like: you walk into an Apple store, a genius measures your ear, and half an hour later you walk away with perfect fitting EarPods?
    That would be the ultimate, but I would be satisified with a third party molding company.  There are plenty out there making form fitting earbuds. 

I’m not sure having a genius pour the goo in people’s ears works for Apple’s business model. 
  • Reply 32 of 32
    dcgoo said:
    The Watch Series 3 and iPhone X  have vastly better  battery life than their predecessors.  Maybe the Gen2 AirPods will also.  Not that it matters that much, the AirPods have always been fine.  But longer is always better, right?
    I'd like to think the battery life will increase by maybe an hour or two, not a big issue as i think the current 5 hours is enough, especially with the case, but you can always get better.