AirPods now shipping post-Christmas from Apple, many other online retailers

Posted:
in iPhone
In the U.S., at least, AT&T may be the best bet to score AirPods online before Christmas, as Apple and a number of other vendors are now listing post-Christmas dates for shipping.

Apple is quoting delivery and pickup dates no sooner than Jan. 5, while Best Buy is saying Jan. 4, and Verizon's earliest date is Dec. 29. Sprint and B&H Photo are simply sold out.

AT&T appears to have some stock left with two-day shipping. A few Amazon partners are offering used AirPods, but also at marked-up prices.

Apple has long had trouble keeping up with demand for AirPods, often taking weeks to ship. Availability has improved significantly within the past few months, thanks to increased production by Apple, but the holiday crush is presumably taking its toll.

With the exception of Amazon, all of the above vendors may potentially have units in stock at their physical outlets, varying from location to location. That inventory is likely in short supply.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    You are right about them shipping them---we just bought some.

However, don't hold your breathe on speed.  Ours went from Shanghai, to Memphis (Fed BarX) where live, to Japan, to Memphis.  NOT fast---3 days projected and 10 days or more to deliver.

FedEx stinks-----but this time they did not destroy the package as they usually do.

No rational person would use Fed Barf unless they were making bread and needed to have it kneaded.  Or perhaps a steel mill is short of cold rolling capacity.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    bill1357 said:

However, don't hold your breathe on speed.  Ours went from Shanghai, to Memphis (Fed BarX) where live, to Japan, to Memphis.  NOT fast---3 days projected and 10 days or more to deliver.

FedEx stinks-----but this time they did not destroy the package as they usually do.

No rational person would use Fed Barf unless they were making bread and needed to have it kneaded.  Or perhaps a steel mill is short of cold rolling capacity.
    never had a problem. sounds like there was an unusual exception with yours. packages don’t usually go back to asia. 
    pscooter63
  • Reply 3 of 19
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    bill1357 said:

I've also never had Fed Ex destroy a package. As for being a "rational person," I find it hard to take anyone serious that uses terms like Fed Barf. What is Fed BarX? I did a search and came up empty. Is this Fed Ex? At least when people use Samscum and Crapple I get it, but it still detracts from any rationale argument you may have had.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Apple online store in Italy also showing Jan. 2 as delivery date. However I have just bought Airpods at Dubai airport Duty Free: still on stock there.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Totally worth the wait regardless. Love my AirPods. Great job Apple!
    zroger73focherwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,286member
    I am not surprised. I myself bought three sets to give away this Christmas.  Best $159 gift available.
    zroger73steyounwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    I sort of think the Homepods are delayed to move revenue...there's only so much money people will give to Apple at once! Strong iPhone X ( I see them everywhere here in NJ/NYC), strong AirPods sales...spread the revenue to when there is post-holiday tapering...
  • Reply 8 of 19
    The raging success continues. I’ve seen lots more of these in the wild even before Christmas. Excellence squared. 
    zroger73watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Fed Barf? I believe the barfy looking one would be the brown truck, which delivers after 8pm pretty much every time we receive something through them. To the credit of both, though, neither has ever damaged or lost the package. Sounds like you need to let go of something.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    I've been antsy to procure a pair from Spamazon using credit-card reward points, but the cheapest offer is a 30-dollar premium over the MSRP. I'll bide my time. 
  • Reply 11 of 19
    I purchased two pairs from AT&T and my brother purchased a pair from Verizon earlier this year. All three pairs arrived in two days. We were never able to find them in stock anywhere else.

Best Apple product...EVER.

I did have to exchange my first pair, though, due to a very faint electrical "pop" every several seconds during periods of silence on my iPhone, iPad, iMac, and MacBook Pro. The replacement pair does the same thing, but not quite as bad.
    edited December 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Happy to wait. Holding out for the new wireless charging case option. I really thought it would be here by now. I want it and the AirPower charger.....then a Series 3  Watch with cellular (whenever that option becomes available in Ireland, of course)....life will be complete....😎
    king editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    bill1357 said:

Fed Barf doesn’t work as a cuss, I’m afraid. Most people would’ve gone with Fed Excrement or something like that. 

Personally though, never had a problem FedEx. 
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Rayz2016 said:
    bill1357 said:

Fed Barf doesn’t work as a cuss, I’m afraid. Most people would’ve gone with Fed Excrement or something like that. 

Personally though, never had a problem FedEx. 
    1) Fed Excrement is the first one I thought of. Still, it's pointless to use any of that whilst trying to make a point.

2) It reminds me of South Park characters making fun of their teacher's name by calling her Miss MakesMeSick, Miss ChokesOnRocks, etc. without ever realizing her actual name, Diane Choksondik, is already better than they could imagine.
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 15 of 19
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    AirPods are, without a doubt, one of the best products ever made by Apple. I'm still pissed at myself for waiting a whole year before getting them. I'll never get that time back!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 19
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    They still had shelf stock in the Canberra Apple Store yesterday morning. They seem to have a few boxes out each day, although often there are none left by close of business.

I've also noticed them in a few other retailers, often in large quantities. Of course, the ones I'm seeing on shelves are already in the channel, orders are coming from the factory, so it might be they've pushed them through to retailers by preference.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 19
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    focher said:
    AirPods are, without a doubt, one of the best products ever made by Apple. I'm still pissed at myself for waiting a whole year before getting them. I'll never get that time back!
    I'm a member of that club! I order my from B&H to save $16 in taxes. They took forever to fill the order. What's worse, unlike other purchases, you got a notice they were in stock and then had to order and hope you got in on that wave of inventory.

Geeze, you have my credit card, put me in a queue and send me some when they come in! Anyway I'd have long forgotten about that $16 by now if I'd just ordered from Apple.

I want a pair for my girlfriend and a second pair for me (one for home, one for travel). I'll check with Apple with I visit, but I won't count on getting any soon.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    After seeing some comments online about them being "Sold out everywhere" I popped into the nearest store (Brisbane, as it happens, since I'm visiting the family for Christmas) and saw one pair sitting on the shelf.

I'll admit it's not a strong stock indication, but that there is one set there does suggest the whole sell out thing is more hype than reality.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    anome said:
    After seeing some comments online about them being "Sold out everywhere" I popped into the nearest store (Brisbane, as it happens, since I'm visiting the family for Christmas) and saw one pair sitting on the shelf.

I'll admit it's not a strong stock indication, but that there is one set there does suggest the whole sell out thing is more hype than reality.
    It's more of a figure of a speech. They're effectively sold out everywhere, but there are almost some quantity somewhere, either from unopened returns/cancelations for in-store pick up, statements made while items were en route to a location, and Apple potentially getting some stock everyday as Foxconn still continues to manufacturer the hottest product of the season. Even the last paragraph of the article states that you may be able to find a pair buy going into a store.