Apple begins shipping first iMac Pro orders

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited December 2017
Apple's new premium, professional grade all-in-one desktop, the iMac Pro, is now shipping to customers, though deliveries from China are not expected to arrive before Christmas.

Early iMac Pro adopters were informed Thursday morning that their new system is now on its way. Orders seen by AppleInsider are estimated to arrive on Dec. 28 via UPS.

Currently, the $4,999-and-up systems are in Shanghai, where they are awaiting "final release" from a clearing agency.

Reports have suggested that some iMac Pro units could show up in Apple's own retail stores this week. However, no inventory was listed available at the company's biggest stores as of Thursday.

The new 27-inch iMac Pro with Retina 5K display is intended for high-end demands, featuring a base configuration with an 8-core processor running at 3.2 gigahertz, 32 gigabytes of ECC DDR4 2666 RAM, a Vega 56 GPU with 8 gigabytes of VRAM, and a terabyte of flash storage. More powerful configurations, including an 18-core CPU model, ship in 2018.

AppleInsider partners Adorama and B&H, both Apple authorized resellers, are currently taking pre-orders for the iMac Pro with no sales tax charged on purchases shipped outside New York and New Jersey, potentially saving customers between $400 and $1,055. A full list of deals can be found in our iMac Pro Price Guide.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Already shipping? Demand must be non-existent. FAIL. And yes, I am a professional analyst.  /s
    edited December 2017 macxpresspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Boy would I love to have one of these. I have absolutely no use for it, but I'd still love to have one, even the standard $4999 config is enough for me. Has anyone seen one in the Apple Retail Store yet? I think I read somewhere that they were going to be in stores as a demo Mac this week.
    watto_cobrarandominternetperson
  • Reply 3 of 12
    One of the Youtubers who received a 10-core iMac Pro bench-marked it against a fully customized-to-order iMac that cost about $5200 and the 10-core iMac Pro smoked it (of course). The 10-core iMac Pro cost $5800 but the base iMac Pro would have also beaten the fully CTO iMac. I'd definitely rather buy a base model iMac Pro rather than a fully CTO iMac.
    chiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    lkrupp said:
    Already shipping? Demand must be non-existent. FAIL. And yes, I am a professional analyst.  /s
    It's weird, though. Why would Apple build another computer that no one wanted after seeing what happened with the "trashcan" Mac Pro? Does that even make any sort of sense? Why would Apple deliberately try to lose sales to competitors? I'm rather stupid, and even I would have learned my lesson about designing a computer that no one wants. I'm not sure why EVERYONE believes that sales will be non-existent for the iMac Pro. I realize you're expressing sarcasm but so many others actually believe this iMac Pro is such a waste. I know very little about professional workstations so I'd be a poor judge of what's good and what isn't. I only know that if I bought one, I could easily enjoy it for five years. Why everyone believes it's a fail before it even gets into the hands of users, is just crazy. Even the 10-core model looks to be great for editing and rendering videos for even the most demanding Youtubers. The 18-core model should be insane. Jeez, 36 threads of insane.
    edited December 2017 watto_cobraxzu
  • Reply 5 of 12
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    macxpress said:
    Boy would I love to have one of these. I have absolutely no use for it, but I'd still love to have one, even the standard $4999 config is enough for me. Has anyone seen one in the Apple Retail Store yet? I think I read somewhere that they were going to be in stores as a demo Mac this week.
    I took a trip to a nearby Apple store last weekend hoping to see one. Unfortunately for me they hadn't arrived yet. 
    I'd love to have one too, unfortunately I can not justify such a cost for what I do. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    lkrupp said:
    It's weird, though. Why would Apple build another computer that no one wanted after seeing what happened with the "trashcan" Mac Pro? Does that even make any sort of sense? Why would Apple deliberately try to lose sales to competitors? I'm rather stupid, and even I would have learned my lesson about designing a computer that no one wants. I'm not sure why EVERYONE believes that sales will be non-existent for the iMac Pro. I realize you're expressing sarcasm but so many others actually believe this iMac Pro is such a waste. I know very little about professional workstations so I'd be a poor judge of what's good and what isn't. I only know that if I bought one, I could easily enjoy it for five years. Why everyone believes it's a fail before it even gets into the hands of users, is just crazy. Even the 10-core model looks to be great for editing and rendering videos for even the most demanding Youtubers. The 18-core model should be insane. Jeez, 36 threads of insane.
    I think the numbers will tell the tale of how this is going to do. We'll see in the long term how well this does. I don't think this is really meant to be a mass seller. I don't see Apple selling the same amount of iMac Pro models as they do the regular 27" iMac by any means. I know some people hate seeing this, but it is a niche market in the end. Some just want to see Apple fail for some reason. I don't know why exactly. Honestly, I don't want anyone to fail in this sector. I don't want Microsoft to fail. I want them to be doing good things. I want HP and Dell to be doing good things. Why, because Apple needs competition. They need to get their ass kicked everyone in a while by a competitor to keep them honest. As much as we hate Samsung, I do think they keep Apple honest and working hard to stay as far ahead of them as I think they are with their mobile devices. I want Android to be better because it keeps Apple working harder and harder to keep iOS as good as it can be. You get the point. I don't really understand why some want others to fail. It shouldn't be this Apple vs whomever or whomever vs Apple and for one of them to win, the other has to lose. 

I just hope that iMac Pro numbers aren't compared to the regular iMac because that just isn't a fair comparison. A better comparison would be it versus Mac Pro sales. I'm sure we'll see a story shortly after the new year about some analyst who spoke with the mail boy at one of the parts manufacturers to try and get some initial iMac Pro sales numbers so they can a negative FUD article about how iMac Pro sales aren't going as Apple expected, as if they really know the true numbers and what Apple expected in the first place. 

Some people are STILL stuck on the fact that you as the consumer cannot change the RAM or the storage which somehow makes it not a Pro Mac. Some don't know that you CAN upgrade the RAM in an iMac Pro, you just need to have Apple or an Authorized Apple Service Center do it for you. I was never given the book of guidelines of what constitutes as a Pro Mac so I guess I can't be sure on that one. 
    edited December 2017 watto_cobrarandominternetperson
  • Reply 7 of 12
    thedba said:
    macxpress said:
    I took a trip to a nearby Apple store last weekend hoping to see one. Unfortunately for me they hadn't arrived yet. 
    I'd love to have one too, unfortunately I can not justify such a cost for what I do. 
    They were supposed to be in stores like Tuesday or something like that so thats probably why you didn't see one this past weekend. I have a few days off for Christmas, maybe I'll take a stroll to my closest store and see which is probably a bad idea because if I do get to see and use one, I'll want it even more!

lkrupp said:
    Either way, Tim Cook should be fired! If they weren't shipping it would just be yet ANOTHER missed ship date by Apple! 
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 8 of 12
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Mine is set to arrive on December 28th. So Apple kept its schedule of "Available in December".

And can people seriously stop complaining that this machine isn't upgradable? 99.9% of people in the world never make a single hardware change to their computer. Just because we live in the 0.1% group who do doesn't mean designers should cater every damn computer to us.
    SpamSandwichmacxpresscgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    focher said:
    Mine is set to arrive on December 28th. So Apple kept its schedule of "Available in December".

And can people seriously stop complaining that this machine isn't upgradable? 99.9% of people in the world never make a single hardware change to their computer. Just because we live in the 0.1% group who do doesn't mean designers should cater every damn computer to us.
    Please let us know what you think when it arrives. I'd love real world feedback, not analyst feedback. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    One of the Youtubers who received a 10-core iMac Pro bench-marked it against a fully customized-to-order iMac that cost about $5200 and the 10-core iMac Pro smoked it (of course). The 10-core iMac Pro cost $5800 but the base iMac Pro would have also beaten the fully CTO iMac. I'd definitely rather buy a base model iMac Pro rather than a fully CTO iMac.
    Unless you really need one of the specs of CTO, you pretty much always lose out going full out on CTO when price is factored in. I nearly always went entry-level and then did my own upgrades. Now, I'd probably shoot more towards middle or just configure what I need (not what I'd like, or what I *might* need beyond 4 or 5 years).

gmgravytrain said:
    ... I realize you're expressing sarcasm but so many others actually believe this iMac Pro is such a waste. I know very little about professional workstations so I'd be a poor judge of what's good and what isn't. I only know that if I bought one, I could easily enjoy it for five years. Why everyone believes it's a fail before it even gets into the hands of users, is just crazy. ...
    I was skeptical when we first heard about it, but I'm warming up to it.

My primary concern was thermal capacity/noise. It seems it might actually be OK in this regard, though I'm not sure if people have really pushed the GPUs AND CPUs at the same time too much. It seems they've under-clocked them enough to keep things safe, at least on paper. (If, it doesn't, say, damage the screen or other internal components.)

Also, while this might not be the ideal machine for me, it might very well be the ideal machine for a lot of studios who'll just buy it and write it off over 5 years anyway... and the very cheap (in this case) AppleCare covers what, like 3 years of that?

My initial read on it (before the details were out) was that it was a pacification move by Apple that would satisfy somewhat the same crowd that the new MacBook Pros did (i.e. 'pro' users in the sense of people making a lot of $$$ who want fancy equipment that they really don't push all that hard).

If people can push this thing, and it remains reliable, then it will be a pretty nice pro machine for some good portion of the real pros (as well as the 'pros' with lots of money who want something fancy). I still don't really want an iMac form factor, as I'd rather have a display with inputs. But, that's more me and my situation.

macxpress said:
    I think the numbers will tell the tale of how this is going to do. We'll see in the long term how well this does. I don't think this is really meant to be a mass seller. I don't see Apple selling the same amount of iMac Pro models as they do the regular 27" iMac by any means. I know some people hate seeing this, but it is a niche market in the end.
    Some people are STILL stuck on the fact that you as the consumer cannot change the RAM or the storage which somehow makes it not a Pro Mac. Some don't know that you CAN upgrade the RAM in an iMac Pro, you just need to have Apple or an Authorized Apple Service Center do it for you. I was never given the book of guidelines of what constitutes as a Pro Mac so I guess I can't be sure on that one. 
    Yea, I really could care less what the sales #s are, as this is the kind of thing Apple needs to have even if they only sell 100 of them. As with the analogy I've used before, this is kind of the Ford GT40 in the lineup. And, I'm sure they will sell a LOT more of them than that. At least from my perspective, I've been critical of Apple for caring way too much how many of something they sell... and seemingly giving a similar percentage of attention as the pie-chart of sales numbers indicate.

re: upgradability - I'd agree that isn't really what makes something pro or not. The main issues are probably GPU, then RAM. The RAM was just what people were used to... i.e.: buying minimum amounts, then adding on their own. That's easily solved.

But, the GPU issue (for the 'trash can') was a different kind of problem. Pros who use the GPUs need to keep up as that field is still advancing very rapidly (unlike CPU, RAM, storage, etc.). If you can't upgrade the GPU, or pick the right GPU technology for your application, you can lose serious time and money.

Just from hearing the reports of demos of this thing, it seems they are solving that by putting a pretty good GPU in there in the first place (though they tried to do that with the 'trash can' as well), but then running your GPU of choice in external boxes for expandability. I've read in several of the reports about people checking out the iMac Pro that had a couple boxes with nVidid GPUs in them running externally. While still compromised (TB3 isn't really fast enough), it might be good enough.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Mine arrived yesterday (Dec 23rd) at 2:30 central time (Chicago suburb), a full 5 DAYS before the projected Dec 28 arrival! (10 core, 16gig graphics). Initial benchmarks, compared to Mac Pro 2013: 2 graphics-intensive image transformation programs (Filter Forge 7.0 and Studio Artist 5.0}: time about 2/3 of that for Mac Pro. Copy a 14 gig folder: time about 1/3 of that for Mac Pro. And good news: It will not only run two 5K LG monitors, but also a third screen- a 2012 IMac in Target Display mode. With all 4 screens active, this is very impressive!
  • Reply 12 of 12
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    aniso said:
    Mine arrived yesterday (Dec 23rd) at 2:30 central time (Chicago suburb), a full 5 DAYS before the projected Dec 28 arrival! (10 core, 16gig graphics). Initial benchmarks, compared to Mac Pro 2013: 2 graphics-intensive image transformation programs (Filter Forge 7.0 and Studio Artist 5.0}: time about 2/3 of that for Mac Pro. Copy a 14 gig folder: time about 1/3 of that for Mac Pro. And good news: It will not only run two 5K LG monitors, but also a third screen- a 2012 IMac in Target Display mode. With all 4 screens active, this is very impressive!
    If you know of some way to get the CPUs and GPU working hard, I'm curious what the fan noise is like.
    xzu