Some versions of Windows 10's facial recognition can be fooled by photos

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2017
Although the issue has been patched through Microsoft's Fall Creators Update, outdated versions of Windows 10's Hello facial recognition can be spoofed with a photo, a German security firm said this week.

With some extra work as little as a low-resolution, laser-printed photo taken with a near infrared camera can be used to trick a Hello-capable PC, SySS explained. It demonstrated the problem in a series of YouTube videos.

People with the Fall Creators Update installed should still reconfigure Hello in order to block hackers. Anyone trying to break into a computer via the flaw must, of course, have physical access.

Apple uses its own facial recognition system, Face ID, on the iPhone X. To prevent it from being tricked by photos, the company uses technologies such as a 3D-mapping dot projector and optional attention detection.

It can be fooled, whether by some relatives or highly elaborate masks, but Apple claims that the odds are one in a million, at least among random faces.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Ah great. Let's wait for the outrage to hit the interwebs...

Waiting...

>cleans fingernail<

>brushes imaginary dust<

...What the hell? Where's the outrage, dammit!?
    jbdragonwatto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 2 of 15
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    I had no idea Windows 10 even offered facial recognition for unlocking. Not that I would use it anyway. 
    JinTechmuthuk_vanalingamtallest skil
  • Reply 3 of 15

Waiting...

>cleans fingernail<

>brushes imaginary dust<

There's probably no outrage for 1 of 2 reasons.  1. They are all way too busy enjoying the Schadenfreude of Apple's bad couple of weeks of software.  2.  Nobody really cares about MS news.  Personally I think it's a little bit of column A, little bit of column B.  

Buck up friend.  The month's not over yet.  Perhaps Google will be found to be harvesting customer data, aggregating it, and using the resulting information to sell targeted ad space to advertisers.
    bloggerblogcoolfactorgatorguyradarthekat
  • Reply 4 of 15
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    gatorguy said:
    I had no idea Windows 10 even offered facial recognition for unlocking. Not that I would use it anyway. 
    It has since release - Windows Hello.  And it's awesome.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member

Waiting...

>cleans fingernail<

>brushes imaginary dust<

Probably because it only is a problem on older versions?
  • Reply 6 of 15

Waiting...

>cleans fingernail<

>brushes imaginary dust<

There's probably no outrage for 1 of 2 reasons.  1. They are all way too busy enjoying the Schadenfreude of Apple's bad couple of weeks of software.  2.  Nobody really cares about MS news.  Personally I think it's a little bit of column A, little bit of column B.  

Buck up friend.  The month's not over yet.  Perhaps Google will be found to be harvesting customer data, aggregating it, and using the resulting information to sell targeted ad space to advertisers.
    Or how about Google collection customer location data even when those customers disabled location data:

https://qz.com/1131515/google-collects-android-users-locations-even-when-location-services-are-disabled/

...strangely nobody seems to care when other companies fail or disrespect their customers. 
    badmonkRayz2016radarthekat
  • Reply 7 of 15
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member

Waiting...

>cleans fingernail<

>brushes imaginary dust<

Because this type of crappy performance is expected in Windows.
    StrangeDaysanome
  • Reply 8 of 15

Waiting...

>cleans fingernail<

>brushes imaginary dust<

Or how about Google collection customer location data even when those customers disabled location data:

https://qz.com/1131515/google-collects-android-users-locations-even-when-location-services-are-disabled/

...strangely nobody seems to care when other companies fail or disrespect their customers. 
    LOL... And I'm the one fixated on Google? sure...

A Microsoft thread combined with a poster who just can't resist discussing Google instead. Who'da thunk it possible? 
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    gatorguy said:

Waiting...

>cleans fingernail<

>brushes imaginary dust<

Er … yup. 

And read back through the thread. StrangeDays didn’t mention Google; he was responding to someone else who did. 
    edited December 2017 StrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Rayz2016 said:
    gatorguy said:

Waiting...

>cleans fingernail<

>brushes imaginary dust<

Er … yup. 

And read back through the thread. StrangeDays didn’t mention Google; he was responding to someone else who did. 
    Er...
    I quoted 'em both.

By the way, how do you manage wearing sunglasses indoors anyway? Personally I can't do it, they keep me from seeing clearly what's going on around me. Kinda like wearing blinders almost. I suppose tho if you have nothing you want to see. . .
  • Reply 11 of 15
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    gumbi said:
    gatorguy said:
    It has since release - Windows Hello.  And it's awesome.
    Yeah its so awesome that anyone can get in! Yay!
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 15
    gatorguy said:

Waiting...

>cleans fingernail<

>brushes imaginary dust<

A Microsoft thread combined with a poster who just can't resist discussing Google instead. Who'da thunk it possible? 
    Reading fail. The person I was replying to brought up Google and its data harvesting, which is what the link I sent was about. I didn’t bring up the topic as you’re implying. 

I know the content of the link is upsetting considering Google is your assigned subject matter on AI. 
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 13 of 15
    gatorguy said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    gatorguy said:

Waiting...

>cleans fingernail<

>brushes imaginary dust<

Er … yup. 

Er...
    I quoted 'em both.

Exactly. You should’ve just quoted the person who first mentioned Google. Every time you bring Google Into a thread that has nothing to do with them, folk quote you because you’re the first to mention it. 
    tallest skil
  • Reply 14 of 15

gatorguy said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    gatorguy said:

Waiting...

>cleans fingernail<

>brushes imaginary dust<

Er … yup. 

By the way, how do you manage wearing sunglasses indoors anyway? Personally I can't do it, they keep me from seeing clearly what's going on around me. Kinda like wearing blinders almost. I suppose tho if you have nothing you want to see. . .
    Mmm … I feel you are trying to make a point here, but it comes across as clumsy and a little bit cringeworthy. . I would have missed out the whole sunglasses thing because it’s somewhat forced. 

In my experience, plain speaking is always best. Trying to make a point with a witty metaphor only tends to work in your own head. Read your post again to yourself out loud and you’ll see what I mean. 
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Rayz2016 said:
    gatorguy said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    gatorguy said:

Waiting...

>cleans fingernail<

>brushes imaginary dust<

Er … yup. 

Er...
    I quoted 'em both.

Exactly. You should’ve just quoted the person who first mentioned Google. Every time you bring Google Into a thread ... you’re the first to mention it. 
    Nope.

Edit: Gosh you're right about the sunglasses thing. Really awkwardly done. So more directly:
    For whatever reason there's too many times you aren't seeing what's right in front of you. You and many others complain about off-topic introductions of Android or Samsung or Google in a thread that has nothing to do with them. Somehow you think it's an Android or Google or Samsung fan starting it. Pay more attention and you'll see how it happens. Very VERY often it's not coming from "Apple-haters" or "trolls". As for me personally I don't think you can find more than one or two instances out of thousands of posts where I was the one who starts it. It's just what you want to see. 

So try this: For the next few weeks watch threads more closely and count how many posts in until the first off-topic distraction, and in particular the first mention of "Google" since you lay that at my feet, and who does it. 
    edited December 2017