Apple hit with lawsuit after admitting to slowing down iPhones with depleted batteries

Comments

• Reply 101 of 126
    Yes that would make sense, but what happened to the 1,000 cycles claim on their batteries? I do remember Apple boasting it a few years back.

1,000 cycles is a little over 3 years if you drain your battery every single day. 
    My wife runs her 6S down at least twice a day, mostly playing games.
  • Reply 102 of 126
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    MacPro said:
    danv2 said:
    Just another person making this world muddy and messy.

Apple doesn't owe anybody any money.
    It owes a shit load in taxes and is gonna pay up as per the EU lol. Regarding this situation: if they were transparent then they would not be getting fucked on this deal. They should have made it a feature, and left it to the consumer to decide. When you make calls like this on behalf of the customer, then they will come at you with fangs. More importantly, a prompt should pop up "its time to replace your battery for $80" instead of "lemme slow you down bro w/out telling you bro" etc.

There is a clear cut difference here, and they made a mistake on assuming what each person would want.
    My suggestion is a message that says "Your battery is getting to near to its end, so ... do you want to keep going as you are and risk the phone dying on you or allow iOS to slow down some processes to make it last a little longer, totally up to you bro."
    Yes that would make sense, but what happened to the 1,000 cycles claim on their batteries? I do remember Apple boasting it a few years back.

1,000 cycles is a little over 3 years if you drain your battery every single day. 
    I have never read anywhere that they have made a claim of 1000 cycles. 4-500 yes, but not 1000 cycles.  Please give a link to this claim from Apple and not someone from reddit or YouTube.  I am not a fan of how this throttling thing has been handled, but I have never seen Apple give battery cycle guarantees longer than even AppleCare runs,  or the original 1 year warranty for that matter ? 
  • Reply 103 of 126
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    Apple claims 500 cycles on an iPhone, which by your math puts it at 1.5 years. It’s a mac battery they claim 1000 cycles, and I think 800 for iPads.
    Those numbers are for cases where you drain your battery to 0% every day. Partial drain & charge cycles only count fractionally. I have an iPod2 that's coming up on its 8th birthday and it still has the original battery and it still holds a charge for the originally advertised time. I think Apple says iPod batteries should last 400 cycles. It sits in a charging dock most of the time. My iPhone 4s battery lasted 5 years and my spouse's iPhone 4s battery is still the original one, used as a primary daily driver phone, and is only starting to exhibit intermittent battery related issues. 
  • Reply 104 of 126
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    freerange said:
    danv2 said:

It owes a shit load in taxes and is gonna pay up as per the EU lol. Regarding this situation: if they were transparent then they would not be getting fucked on this deal. They should have made it a feature, and left it to the consumer to decide. When you make calls like this on behalf of the customer, then they will come at you with fangs. More importantly, a prompt should pop up "its time to replace your battery for $80" instead of "lemme slow you down bro w/out telling you bro" etc.

There is a clear cut difference here, and they made a mistake on assuming what each person would want.
    Apple did everything legally as it relates to offshore revenue so take your moronic comment and....
    Agreed it was a totally off-topic comment. ...but since you brought it up Apple hasn't always done "everything legally as it relates to offshore revenue", tending to walk on the bleeding edge which got them reportedly at least one fine for tax evasion (Japan), threats of executive jail-time for refusing to pay legal taxes due in another (Italy), and claims/investigations for back taxes from several other countries so far. Other techs are no better either with Google and Facebook among others also under attack for overly agressive tax avoidance.

On the topic of battery I don't see any particular issue here, other than Apple should have been quite a bit more transparent about what they were doing. Had they started discussing battery and device speeds a few years earlier before they began throttling it would have been fairly easy to convince users is was done now for their own good. Doing so in secret will always give some folks reason to distrust the explanation after-the-fact.  

It's probably the right thing to do, but hiding the fact they were doing it not the best decision to make IMHO.
    edited December 2017 Solimuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 105 of 126
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    MacPro said:
    danv2 said:

My suggestion is a message that says "Your battery is getting to near to its end, so ... do you want to keep going as you are and risk the phone dying on you or allow iOS to slow down some processes to make it last a little longer, totally up to you bro."

One bad apple .... as they say.  I have many old iPhones still going (I keep them for some strange reason) the only one not still working is the original iPhone, all the rest power up and recharge still.  In any batch I guess there are bound to be some with issues.  
  • Reply 106 of 126
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Funny that I read an article here a few months ago stating the exact opposite.

I accepted that as truth at the time despite my suspicion that my current phone ( and previous phones ) had slowed beyond what I would expect from a more demanding Os and apps.

I guess slowing phones to prevent unexpected problems is not an unreasonable thing to do but a little more transparency would be nice...and perhaps a little better reporting.
    Nope, article is still true.

With a properly functioning battery and phone, Apple isn't slowing down your iPhone in a conspiracy to get you to buy a new one. The new benchmarks surrounding this report confirm that as well.

Good try though.
  • Reply 107 of 126
    dewme said:
    Apple claims 500 cycles on an iPhone, which by your math puts it at 1.5 years. It’s a mac battery they claim 1000 cycles, and I think 800 for iPads.
    Those numbers are for cases where you drain your battery to 0% every day. Partial drain & charge cycles only count fractionally. I have an iPod2 that's coming up on its 8th birthday and it still has the original battery and it still holds a charge for the originally advertised time. I think Apple says iPod batteries should last 400 cycles. It sits in a charging dock most of the time. My iPhone 4s battery lasted 5 years and my spouse's iPhone 4s battery is still the original one, used as a primary daily driver phone, and is only starting to exhibit intermittent battery related issues. 
    My iPad 2 original battery still lasts for a week. It’s a champ. Meanwhile, my iPad 3’s battery is pretty worn despite being a year newer. My iPhone 6 battery is also pretty worn and it’s only 3 years old.

I avoid full charge cycles now. I prefer to keep it between 30-60%, to maintain a lower voltage to extend the life of the battery. Of course this means I’m slow charging it a little here, and little there, constantly. This is not for everyone.

The worst thing you can do to a new iPhone is use a battery case. Keeping the iPhone’s battery at full charge all the time will prematurely wear out the battery. 
  • Reply 108 of 126
    jcs2305 said:
    MacPro said:
    danv2 said:

I have never read anywhere that they have made a claim of 1000 cycles. 4-500 yes, but not 1000 cycles.  Please give a link to this claim from Apple and not someone from reddit or YouTube.  I am not a fan of how this throttling thing has been handled, but I have never seen Apple give battery cycle guarantees longer than even AppleCare runs,  or the original 1 year warranty for that matter ? 
    The 1000 charge cycles advertised first appeared on the 2013 MacBook Pro Retina (the first MacBook Pro without an optical drive or removable batteries). The sealed battery had individual controllers for each cell, rather than the more common method of one controller for all the cells. By controlling voltage and charge speed of each cell individually, the MacBook could double its battery’s service life because as the first cell begins to wear, the MacBook would still optimally charge all the cells. The iPhone has only 1 controller, so it’s only going to go 500 charge cycles.
  • Reply 109 of 126
    bshankbshank Posts: 255member
    danv2 said:

It wasn’t assumed. It was based on people bringing their devices that were shutting down into the store and wanted to get fixed. Now they don’t like the fix they asked for. Typical entitled, tech dumb consumers
    Soli
  • Reply 110 of 126
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jcs2305 said:
    MacPro said:
    danv2 said:

The 1000 charge cycles advertised first appeared on the 2013 MacBook Pro Retina (the first MacBook Pro without an optical drive or removable batteries). The sealed battery had individual controllers for each cell, rather than the more common method of one controller for all the cells. By controlling voltage and charge speed of each cell individually, the MacBook could double its battery’s service life because as the first cell begins to wear, the MacBook would still optimally charge all the cells. The iPhone has only 1 controller, so it’s only going to go 500 charge cycles.
    I believe the 1000 cycles statement started back in 2009 and it's still listed as part of their Mac notebooks, iPad, and Watch products, as noted by the Apple support link I posted in this thread.
  • Reply 111 of 126
    I have seen this message and we replaced the battery on the kid's iphone 6. It runs without issue on IOS 11. 
  • Reply 112 of 126
    bsenka said:
    mavemufc said:
    Does anyone think this is a big deal? Apple choose to preserve battery life over power in older models, they continually update iOS and bring new phones out every year, the way technology advances I don't see this as a big deal but thats maybe cause I'm more than happy to pay whatever for the latest phones, I certainly wouldn't expect my old iPhone 6 to work at the same speed as my new iPhone 10, regardless of how old the device is.
    I definitely do think this is big deal. The battery on my iPhone 6 Plus was still strong -- I didn't even have to charge it every day -- but it started running insanely slow doing the same functions that were previously lightning fast. The only reason that I bought a new phone is because of this slowdown.  This was a dirty ploy on Apple's part disguised as "help". 

So you are saying that they are indeed slowing devices down to force you to buy a new one? It has nothing to do with the shape of the battery? So rather than restore the phone to see if that sorts it out, or take it in because there is a problem. You jump on the bandwagon and assume apple forced you to buy a new phone? Interesting....  Does apple selectively choose what handsets they want to force people to upgrade?  Or do they spread out the slow downs so they don't draw too much attention to their evil plan?  Man come on!!
    Soli
  • Reply 113 of 126
    iSlowGate or iThrottleGate
  • Reply 114 of 126
    All the more reason to get off Li-ion batteries and onto something truly revolutionary next.
    Yep .. agree.
  • Reply 115 of 126
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    All the more reason to get off Li-ion batteries and onto something truly revolutionary next.
    And Samsung will probably be the supplier.

I hope Apple has already put significant research dollars into this themselves.
    Otherwise the could be left out of the cold.
  • Reply 116 of 126

Looks like you're wearing rose tinted glasses, time you took them off me thinks.

Perhaps you buy a new iPhone every year so it doesn't affect you?
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 117 of 126
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    ZooMigo said:
    mavemufc said:
    Does anyone think this is a big deal? Apple choose to preserve battery life over power in older models, they continually update iOS and bring new phones out every year, the way technology advances I don't see this as a big deal but thats maybe cause I'm more than happy to pay whatever for the latest phones, I certainly wouldn't expect my old iPhone 6 to work at the same speed as my new iPhone 10, regardless of how old the device is.
    This is a big deal for me. Apple crippled my device, without my consent. It is MY choice to decide when to buy a new one, not this forced obsolescence. I also wouldn't expect my iPhone 6 to perform as fast as an X, but I damn sure don't expect for the manufacturer to cripple a device I paid for either.
    Exactly. Give me a god damn option and I will decide if I want crippled iPhone.
    edited December 2017 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 118 of 126
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member

Making this world muddy and messy? The mud and mess was created by corporations that act deceptively, not by consumers trying to shine a light on and hold them accountable.

So you, and the 16 people who liked your comment, don't think corporations should be held accountable for deceptive business practices, and would rather live in a world fully dominated by irresponsible corporations who have zero accountability for their behavior?
    singularitymuthuk_vanalingamavon b7
  • Reply 119 of 126
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    jume said:
    ZooMigo said:
    mavemufc said:
    This is a big deal for me. Apple crippled my device, without my consent. It is MY choice to decide when to buy a new one, not this forced obsolescence. I also wouldn't expect my iPhone 6 to perform as fast as an X, but I damn sure don't expect for the manufacturer to cripple a device I paid for either.
    Exactly. Give me a god damn option and I will decide if I want crippled iPhone.
    My iPhone 6 is showing only 80% capacity left and a wear level of high.  I’m still playing games on it without noticeable lag.

If your 6 is crippled then there’s likely something else going on.
  • Reply 120 of 126
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

dysamoria said:
    cool factor said:

Making this world muddy and messy? The mud and mess was created by corporations that act deceptively, not by consumers trying to shine a light on and hold them accountable.

So you, and the 16 people who liked your comment, don't think corporations should be held accountable for deceptive business practices, and would rather live in a world fully dominated by irresponsible corporations who have zero accountability for their behavior?
    Apple isn’t an irresponsible corporation but this forum is full of trolls that wish to make this issue into a conspiracy by Apple to make users upgrade.

If they wanted to do that they simply would stop updating iOS for older devices like most Android phones get abandoned.
    lkrupp