Review: Sonos One brings high fidelity to smartspeakers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59

mavemufc said:
    Don't see the big deal in no Bluetooth receiver or Headphone jack, This looks like a really good speaker, and $150 cheaper than the HomePod, Alexa is better than Siri as well, Bet Apple are really kicking themselves that they had to delay the HomePod!
    Alexa, dear Alexa. She was created to divest you of your salary faster than Apple.

Sleep well and remember not to speak out loud when you dream as Amazon may deliver more than you could ever dream up.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 59
    Rayz2016 said:
    kkqd1337 said:
    I really can’t see how Apples Pod can compete if Apple continues to close all its services to third parties. It’s unreal that Siri can’t control
    Spotify.
    Isn’t it up to Spotify to write an interface to Siri?

And the fact that they don’t seem to want to, or have not, for whatever reason: what does that tell you?
    edited December 2017 cornchipRayz2016
  • Reply 23 of 59
    Renderdog said:
    "Paranoid about privacy"? Shouldn't that be "concerned"? Paranoid is defined as "unreasonable or obsessively anxious". I believe most would think it's very reasonable to distrust internet-connected listening devices.
    Y E P ! ! ! !
    I won't use anything Google for that reason.  And I have no reason to believe Amazon would be any better.

I stick with Apple because I am concerned about security (among other things).  And, to have Amazon plant a listening device in my home?   A hackable listening device?
    ...  OK...  Call me paranoid...

Added:  Isn't Amazon the one who wants the electronic keys to your front door so they can unlock it for their delivery people?   So, now they want to put a hackable listening device in my home?
    ...  Yeh, definitely paranoid -- or whatever anybody wants to call it.  But this just ain't gonna happen!
    edited December 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 59
    Would appleinsider writers please stop using the words "High Fidelity" unless they fully understand what the term means. There is no way on Earth this Sonos One speaker nor an Apple HomePod will ever produce High Fidelity audio. Never, never, ever...

Audio is governed by the laws of physics, so no small container filled with loudspeakers will ever produce low frequencies at high amplitude  A human ear (commonly) hears wavelengths down to 20Hz, a listeners body can feel frequencies lower than 20Hz but they cannot hear them.

I would hazard a guess from each Sonos One or HomePod enclosure (speaker) size (as seen) they will have crossover circuitry which will roll off steeply at 120-100Hz...they may reach 80Hz but the amplitude will be considerably lower (quieter) than those above the crossover rolloff frequencies aforementioned.

A High Fidelity loudspeaker will produce a flat frequency response across the entire audible range of 20Hz - 20kHz. That is, for a given level of amplification no part of the frequency range will appear to be or indeed will be louder or quieter than preceding or succeeding frequencies.

As sound is simply modulated heat, it will take until some genius manages to create the technology to sufficiently heat coincident focal points in the air of your living-room directly with lasers in such a way the heat can be modulated to produce even amplitude sound from the lowest discernible frequencies to the highest. That tech will be a long time coming.

Meanwhile appleinsider contributors STOP LYING TO YOUR READERS and TREAT THEM AS INTELLIGENT CONSUMERS.
    I was enjoying your post and learning from it.  Until I got to that last line.   That was unnecessary and untrue.   OK, their definition of high fidelity is as not accurate as your more technical one.  Fine.  Get over it.  Because you disagree with somebody doesn't make them liars.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 59
    Blunt said:
    Thanks for the review, much appreciated.

With this product out there, it doesn’t make a lotta sense to me to buy the Homepod, especially since Apple is boycotting Spotify through Siri. After years(!) I still can’t tell Siri (which by itself is a pretty terrible voice assistant) to play song X in Spotify. They should be sued for blocking competition on their platform. 

All your posts are negative about Apple. You should switch.
    No, you get me all wrong. I’m often negative about Apple because it’s a brand I am in touch with on a daily basis and therefore one I care about. I’m also often an AppleInsider critic because I think they can get ‘over biased’, seemingly defending the brand at all cost and reading the articles can become cringeworthy. However similarly, it’s a site I check multiple times per week and appreciate its legacy. I have no incentive to post on an Android forum because I never use Android products nor care about them.

However if you are uncomfortable with me and my opinion just because it’s not yours or if I’m being too harsh, I respectfully propose to simply ignore me.

As far as I know a forum is a discussion platform where people are allowed to express their opinions, it’s not some fanboys drooling over a brand that solely exists to make money, keeping each other in check for ‘other opinions’. In that case let’s remove HTML text areas and instead allow users to respond with template answers rendered on buttons: ‘Apple rules!’, ‘great product’’, and so forth.
    The moment people get banned for having alternative opinions or being critics is the moment the whole forum is bankrupt as an idea.  
    muthuk_vanalingambloodshotrollin'redgatorguy1STnTENDERBITS
  • Reply 26 of 59
    Is referring to oneself as “we” a form of self-adulation?
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 59
    Would appleinsider writers please stop using the words "High Fidelity" unless they fully understand what the term means. There is no way on Earth this Sonos One speaker nor an Apple HomePod will ever produce High Fidelity audio. Never, never, ever...

Audio is governed by the laws of physics, so no small container filled with loudspeakers will ever produce low frequencies at high amplitude  A human ear (commonly) hears wavelengths down to 20Hz, a listeners body can feel frequencies lower than 20Hz but they cannot hear them.

I would hazard a guess from each Sonos One or HomePod enclosure (speaker) size (as seen) they will have crossover circuitry which will roll off steeply at 120-100Hz...they may reach 80Hz but the amplitude will be considerably lower (quieter) than those above the crossover rolloff frequencies aforementioned.

A High Fidelity loudspeaker will produce a flat frequency response across the entire audible range of 20Hz - 20kHz. That is, for a given level of amplification no part of the frequency range will appear to be or indeed will be louder or quieter than preceding or succeeding frequencies.
    Agreed, it's not even remotely in the realm of high fidelity - none of the Sonos speakers are. I've auditioned the Play:1's several times and I've always thought they sounded terrible. The article claims the Sonos One has the same sound as the Play:1, so that's not good news IMO. I ended up getting a pair of Def Tech W1's, they have much better sound (still would never claim these are "high fidelity" either), although the Play-Fi software app & music service support isn't nearly as complete as the Sonos offerings but it has been steadily improving over time.

It is unclear what you mean by "sound is simply modulated heat", however.  Sound is varying air pressure waves. Certainly, waste heat is produced as a byproduct of generating sound, as it is for any mechanical process, but that's not really the same as saying sound *is* heat.
    bloodshotrollin'redwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 59

As sound is simply modulated heat, it will take until some genius manages to create the technology to sufficiently heat coincident focal points in the air of your living-room directly with lasers in such a way the heat can be modulated to produce even amplitude sound from the lowest discernible frequencies to the highest. That tech will be a long time coming.

Meanwhile appleinsider contributors STOP LYING TO YOUR READERS and TREAT THEM AS INTELLIGENT CONSUMERS.
    Agreed, it's not even remotely in the realm of high fidelity - none of the Sonos speakers are. I've auditioned the Play:1's several times and I've always thought they sounded terrible. The article claims the Sonos One has the same sound as the Play:1, so that's not good news IMO. I ended up getting a pair of Def Tech W1's, they have much better sound (still would never claim these are "high fidelity" either), although the Play-Fi software app & music service support isn't nearly as complete as the Sonos offerings but it has been steadily improving over time.

It is unclear what you mean by "sound is simply modulated heat", however.  Sound is varying air pressure waves. Certainly, waste heat is produced as a byproduct of generating sound, as it is for any mechanical process, but that's not really the same as saying sound *is* heat.

"High Fidelity" is a subjective term, first used in the late 1940s to describe audio reproduction nobody today would call "high fidelity".

My son is a recording/mix engineer and has half a dozen speaker pairs on or behind the meter bridge of his recording console. One of those pairs are Sonos Play 5s, which sound very nice, if not quite as nice as his $10K Barefoot monitors. He keeps Sonos speakers on the bridge because a good portion of the music buying public will play their music on Sonos products.

The claim that small speakers can't play low notes shows an ignorance of psychoacoustics. By boosting the harmonics of a tone, the tone itself can be removed while still giving the impression it's there. Companies like Sonos are certainly capable of making use of such technology to enhance the sound of their products. At low listening volumes, it's also fairly easy to equalize a small speaker to produce a flat response.

As for modulated heat, that's just a hyperbolic explanation for the Gas Law, PV=nRT. In a given space, increasing the pressure of a gas also increases its temperature. Although plasma tweeters do make sound by heating air, the audio community will continue to describe sound as the propagation of pressure changes in a compressible medium.

And to suggest that lasers might be used to make sound in the free air of your living room shows a pretty impressive ignorance of physics.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 59
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Rayz2016 said:
    kkqd1337 said:
    I really can’t see how Apples Pod can compete if Apple continues to close all its services to third parties. It’s unreal that Siri can’t control
    Spotify.
    Isn’t it up to Spotify to write an interface to Siri?

And the fact that they don’t seem to want to, or have not, for whatever reason: what does that tell you?

Pretty much everything I need to know.
    ihatescreennamespscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 59
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Blunt said:

With this product out there, it doesn’t make a lotta sense to me to buy the Homepod, especially since Apple is boycotting Spotify through Siri. After years(!) I still can’t tell Siri (which by itself is a pretty terrible voice assistant) to play song X in Spotify. They should be sued for blocking competition on their platform. 

No, you get me all wrong. I’m often negative about Apple because it’s a brand I am in touch with on a daily basis and therefore one I care about. I’m also often an AppleInsider critic because I think they can get ‘over biased’, seemingly defending the brand at all cost and reading the articles can become cringeworthy. However similarly, it’s a site I check multiple times per week and appreciate its legacy. I have no incentive to post on an Android forum because I never use Android products nor care about them.

However if you are uncomfortable with me and my opinion just because it’s not yours or if I’m being too harsh, I respectfully propose to simply ignore me.

As far as I know a forum is a discussion platform where people are allowed to express their opinions, it’s not some fanboys drooling over a brand that solely exists to make money, keeping each other in check for ‘other opinions’. In that case let’s remove HTML text areas and instead allow users to respond with template answers rendered on buttons: ‘Apple rules!’, ‘great product’’, and so forth.
    The moment people get banned for having alternative opinions or being critics is the moment the whole forum is bankrupt as an idea.  
    No, I think he's got you bang to rights.

The problem with concern trolls is that they seem to forget that how easy it is to check their posting history.  You dropped a poster-child of an example right here:

I have no incentive to post on an Android forum because I never use Android products nor care about them.

But a quick look at your posting history leads to this message:

https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/comment/3005739/#Comment_3005739

Where you say:

AirPods for free is kinda crazy, but a 5-watt charger is an insult. It doesn't cost them that much to provide a fast-charger. I got a fast-charger with the Samsung S7 (which I only use for development purposes) and it's probably less than $1 extra to include that thing.

There's a big difference between using an Android product for development purposes and never using or caring about them.

So which is it?

edited December 2017 pscooter63watto_cobraStrangeDaysbrucemcapplepieguy
  • Reply 31 of 59
    ... "brings high fidelity to smartspeakers"? High fidelity? Really?
    unbeliever2pscooter63watto_cobrajeffharris
  • Reply 32 of 59
    k2kw said:
    I was going to get a Pair of HomePods originally but not now because of ThrottleGate.
    I'm pissed I got an iPhone 8 too. 
    Spot the idiot troll.

”throttlegate” rollseyes!

Try not just reading the headlines from websites and letting your hate write the story for you.
    Apple’s battery management reduces processor activity for a matter of clock cycles. It’s not continuous, it’s not minutes, it’s not even seconds.
    It’s to stop the excess processor power from crashing the phone.

Would you prefer the phone to crash?

Don’t rewrite the actual facts to fit your bullshit narrative.
    williamlondonpscooter63watto_cobraRayz2016StrangeDaysbrucemcapplepieguy
  • Reply 33 of 59
    As someone mentioned, "high fidelity" is a subjective term, but small speakers can sound surprisingly good. Most listeners who heard the Sonos and HomePod in the same room reported the HomePod sounded better, though it wasn't a night & day difference. I wouldn't be surprised if it also turns out to be easier to use. Like the AirPods, HomePods will likely provide a friction-free interface, with automatic room correction, etc, which will justify their higher price, along with the ecosystem advantages if you use Apple Music, etc.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 59
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    ilondoner said:
    The lack of bluetooth forces you to use the Sonos app for everything but I had numerous wifi networking problems with the Sonos Play 1s speakers via an Apple Time Capsule hub.    Can't use the speakers for ad hoc use, for example visitors who want to play their music as well.

Returned the units for a refund.
    If your visitors have the app they can play to the speakers using their devices as the music source.  So, true, not totally ad-hoc, but a pretty easy hurdle to jump. 
  • Reply 35 of 59
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    evilution said:
    k2kw said:
    I was going to get a Pair of HomePods originally but not now because of ThrottleGate.
    Spot the idiot troll.

”throttlegate” rollseyes!

Try not just reading the headlines from websites and letting your hate write the story for you.
    Apple’s battery management reduces processor activity for a matter of clock cycles. It’s not continuous, it’s not minutes, it’s not even seconds.
    It’s to stop the excess processor power from crashing the phone.

Would you prefer the phone to crash?

Don’t rewrite the actual facts to fit your bullshit narrative.
    I would prefer the phone to let me know there is a problem with the battery and give me the choice of getting it replaced or operating in limp mode.   Why didn't they do that?   Probably because they wanted to save money on replacements under warrantee or AppleCare.     At this point there are probably many users who upgraded out of frustration with their slow phones like I did with my 6SE or have limped along under the Throttled software and now are out of warrantee/appleCare now that several months have passed.    Even if a phone was out of warrantee or past the AppleCare coverage, it would be better if the phone let the user know that they could get their battery replaced for $79 and get their original performance back.

I haven't rushed out to get an android because no one has even investigated it see if they do the same thing (and I am not talking about the "lag" that comes with almost all Android phones).
  • Reply 36 of 59
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Renderdog said:
    "Paranoid about privacy"? Shouldn't that be "concerned"? Paranoid is defined as "unreasonable or obsessively anxious". I believe most would think it's very reasonable to distrust internet-connected listening devices.
    You mean like the internet-connected listening device in your pocket? If you are okay with iPhone, you are, by extension, okay with HomePod. 
    gatorguy
  • Reply 37 of 59
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member

I bet you are loads of fun st parties.
  • Reply 38 of 59
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    k2kw said:
    k2kw said:

Yeah right. Cool story bro. When should we let you in on a secret? HomePods aren’t even out nor is there a release date. 

Why dont you just sell your iphone, pick up a knockoff, load it up with removable batteries and external storage, yet still replace it more often due to the shorter useful lifespan of its hardware and software, and stop whining about Apple on an Apple site? Sounds reasonable, right?

But you won’t. 
    While HomePods aren’t out they were announced at WWDC to arrive by the end of this year.   And whether you like it or not Apple pulled “used car salesman” move with the Throttling.   Now if I could get a full refund for my iPhone7 or iPhone8 I would get a Pixel 2 (Not the XL).

I don’t expect that we will know the full truth about these lemon phones’ batteries considering Apple impressive secrecy -
    Such is the state tech journalism even with some of the extremely knowledgeable guys that write for AI.

I’ve learned to ignore the koolaide drinkers.

They also promised Amazon App for the Apple TV "later this year" back in early September and waited until a week before Christmas to release it. They also promised Dolby Atmosphere in the same time frame and that's yet to appear. There seems to be a lot more products being announced with features they will have, or should have, as an enducement to buy them, rather than what they have upon release, and a lot more release dates being missed ... That's atypical behavior for Apple.

And your best bet is to block some people on these forums. 
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 39 of 59
    Rayz2016 said:
    Blunt said:

No, I think he's got you bang to rights.

The problem with concern trolls is that they seem to forget that how easy it is to check their posting history.  You dropped a poster-child of an example right here:

I have no incentive to post on an Android forum because I never use Android products nor care about them.

But a quick look at your posting history leads to this message:

https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/comment/3005739/#Comment_3005739

Where you say:

AirPods for free is kinda crazy, but a 5-watt charger is an insult. It doesn't cost them that much to provide a fast-charger. I got a fast-charger with the Samsung S7 (which I only use for development purposes) and it's probably less than $1 extra to include that thing.

There's a big difference between using an Android product for development purposes and never using or caring about them.

So which is it?

Wow, you really don’t have anything to do on Christmas Eve, don’t you? What’s your point? You come across like a frustrated detective without a murder case to solve, checking my post history :smile:  
    To address your concerns - I have a Samsung S7 to test Gear VR games & Android ports of multi platform games (developed with Unity, on a Mac btw, I love it!). Still I don’t care about Android, except it being an additional revenue stream. I also own a Volvo V60, which I also don’t care about a lot, as well as a Weber barbecue that I don’t care about that much either.

Is ‘concern troll’ a new word for ‘someone with a different opinion’ that’s easier to dismiss as unacceptable? 

edited December 2017
  • Reply 40 of 59
    YvLyYvLy Posts: 89member
    What wrong with your Volvo V60?