Watch: Five ways iPhone X could be better

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60

Bacillus3 said:
    So much of a Beta product -all web rhetoric aside. Crazy gestures, notch nuisance, unnecessary weight, shatter-prone backside, lack of customization. Why do we still have dropped frames during all those slow animations - whether equipped with a A9/10/11/12 or whatever...? Why is it still a headache to place a text cursor 1 position, after 10 years ? Siri mkes so many mistakes I evendnnt take care to correct it anymore...
     and the back is as unshattered as my series 4 phones, which still get occasional use. 
    After reading the inane post that you quoted I reached out to a Genius friend of mine to ask if he’s seen an influx of shattered rear glass on 8s and Xs.  His response was no and that he recently saw an 8 Plus that was bent almost 90 degrees backward and the glass was intact (the rear glass, not the display).  That’s fairly impressive.  Not to say that they can’t shatter due to other damage but it shows the rear glass is fairly durable.  Like you, I still have a 4 in semi-regular use and have never had an issue with the rear glass.  Same goes for my wife’s old 4, though that just sits as a spare now.
    pscooter63StrangeDays
  • Reply 42 of 60
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I haven't used the x but I thought the point about not being able to open the the phone when it is lying down on a surface was interesting. I use my phone all the time for cooking, and I find it super annoying to have to go into settings to prevent the phone from going to sleep. I usually forget and quickly get to the point where I cannot open the phone because my hands are either wet, or greasy. There must be a ton of similar non-cooking scenarios. I thought the x would be perfect in this context but clearly not. During cooking sessions my phone always remain horizontal on the counter.
  • Reply 43 of 60
    paxman said:
    I haven't used the x but I thought the point about not being able to open the the phone when it is lying down on a surface was interesting.
    My experience shows that to only be partially true. I frequently put my X on top of a stereo cabinet and I am often happy to see it will unlock without me being directly over it. The angle it unlocks at on the stereo seems to be different than the angle I need to hold the phone at when it’s in my hand. Also, it seems to work from further away than I’m used to when on top of the stereo. 

Also, I imagine all this will improve over time, just like TouchID did. 
  • Reply 44 of 60
    The 2018 model will be better of course!  I will trade in the X for new version in December!
  • Reply 45 of 60
    All are "minor" complaints, but combined they would drive me crazy and is one of the reasons I'm passing on the X for now.  Also I actually want a smaller version that would be easier to use one handed.
  • Reply 46 of 60
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    My 2 cents...

1. Face ID has worked flawlessly for me. Needing to swipe up is not an issue for me at all. By the time I swipe up, it has already unlocked the phone. So, most of the time it's as if I only need to pick up the phone and swipe up. I don't consciously have to unlock the phone. Therefore, it is invariably faster than Touch ID was.

2. Complete non-issue for me as I always use Apple's leather case.

3. For me, this is a very minor issue. Might there possibly be a better way to access Control Center? Maybe, but nt a big deal for me.

4. Personally, I don't care. I never watch real movies and TV shows on my phone and use it only for short clips. If I did watch real videos, I would just use letterbox mode anyway to preserve the original aspect ratio.

5. As I've mentioned before. I have already mastered the "right hook" gesture to bring up the app switcher, but I do not see why you need to hold down an app to bring up the delete icon in the corner in order to then swipe up.

edited December 2017 StrangeDays
  • Reply 47 of 60
    paxman said:
    I haven't used the x but I thought the point about not being able to open the the phone when it is lying down on a surface was interesting. I use my phone all the time for cooking, and I find it super annoying to have to go into settings to prevent the phone from going to sleep. I usually forget and quickly get to the point where I cannot open the phone because my hands are either wet, or greasy. There must be a ton of similar non-cooking scenarios. I thought the x would be perfect in this context but clearly not. During cooking sessions my phone always remain horizontal on the counter.
    Personally, the few times I need to unlock while it's on the desk, I just do the passcode.
  • Reply 48 of 60
    Force Quitting Apps: Enter the switcher, rest your finger on the app you want to close and swipe the instant the — appears. Every subsequent app only requires a swipe. There no more steps than on any other device except for the half-second pause. This is fine.

Reachability: Best solution is a double-tap OR downswipe on the Home Indicator. Swipe down is intuitive but let both ways work.

Control Center: Like Reachability, keep it accessable the current way since swiping from the radio icons makes sense, but add another option. Maybe several options. How about a Control Center button on the lock screen? Put that same button underneath the app switcher carousel. Let users add a Control Center widget to the Today screen.
  • Reply 49 of 60
    There is only one thing I hate about the iPhone X. The 5 or 6 screenshots a day I find in my photo roll from adjusting the volume or conversely shutting of the screen. I find it nearly impossible to push either button without accidentally putting pressure on the other side of the phone at approximately the same location.
  • Reply 50 of 60
    i agree with a few

1) i don't understand why two actions are need to activate the phone: can't just having face id registeriing my face be enough , why do i have to swipe up?
    It wasn’t too long ago that TouchID 2 was released and it was so fast people complained the phone would unlock and go to the home screen before they had a chance to see their notifications. 

Not long after that the procedure became TouchID to unlock, click to get to the home screen. That solved the issue of “too fast to see notifications”. 

With Face ID all I have to do to see my notifications is look at my phone. To get to the home screen one simple swipe is required. I don’t mind this, I don’t find it unnecessarily burdensome and think it makes a lot of sense. 

Though, I am confused a little by the complaints from people about having to swipe up to get to the home screen but don’t complain about swiping down from the left side to see their notifications. This author of this article even mentions swiping down for notifications is no big deal while at the same time complaining that swiping down for Control Center is a pain. I don’t get it. 

And to me, the swipe up from the bottom is easy to accomplish one handed, much easier than swiping from the top, either side. 
    You know you don’t have to swipe down from the left side for notifications. You can swipe from anywhere other than the right corner. I swipe from the middle which is what I’ve always done on past iPhones. 
  • Reply 51 of 60
    i agree with a few

1) i don't understand why two actions are need to activate the phone: can't just having face id registeriing my face be enough , why do i have to swipe up?
    It wasn’t too long ago that TouchID 2 was released and it was so fast people complained the phone would unlock and go to the home screen before they had a chance to see their notifications. 

Not long after that the procedure became TouchID to unlock, click to get to the home screen. That solved the issue of “too fast to see notifications”. 

With Face ID all I have to do to see my notifications is look at my phone. To get to the home screen one simple swipe is required. I don’t mind this, I don’t find it unnecessarily burdensome and think it makes a lot of sense. 

Though, I am confused a little by the complaints from people about having to swipe up to get to the home screen but don’t complain about swiping down from the left side to see their notifications. This author of this article even mentions swiping down for notifications is no big deal while at the same time complaining that swiping down for Control Center is a pain. I don’t get it. 

And to me, the swipe up from the bottom is easy to accomplish one handed, much easier than swiping from the top, either side. 
    You know you don’t have to swipe down from the left side for notifications. You can swipe from anywhere other than the right corner. I swipe from the middle which is what I’ve always done on past iPhones. 
    For me, on my iPhone X, swiping down from the middle brings up search and app suggestions, just like it has on my previous iPhones.  The only change on the X was Control Center is now swipe down from the top right and Notification Center swipe down from top left. Technically I can swipe down from directly beneath the notch to get NC but if I’m a fraction off I get Search. 
  • Reply 52 of 60
    I used to ask iPhone to speak the screen often for news and books.  With now the control centre swipe gesture relocated to the notch, the iPhone confuses three out of four times the two-finger-swipe-down gesture of Speak Screen.  Coupled with the fact that the control centre is now so inconvenient to trigger (cannot do it without the second hand), it feels like a joke to buy such an expensive.
  • Reply 53 of 60
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    I love my iPhone X and only thing I would like Apple to improve is faster Face ID detection. I am sure Apple will improve it further as technology advances. But so far all the issues mentioned in this post, don't affect me and I am pretty much friendly with all these gestures and no problems whatsoever. But things can certainly be improved and there's always room for improvements. We are not perfect and will never be.
  • Reply 54 of 60
    aomkserak said:
    Since I switched to iPhone from Android ,I used to ask iPhone to speak the screen often for news and books.  With now the control centre swipe gesture relocated to the notch, the iPhone confuses three out of four times the two-finger-swipe-down gesture of Speak Screen.  Coupled with the fact that the control centre is now so inconvenient to trigger (cannot do it without the second hand), it feels like a joke to buy such an expensive.
    TBH , The first time I saw the iPhone x at a press conference, I was shocked. Apple companies have been improving their phones, as they say,iPhone X does become the most unique phone in the world, and I think it's pretty good, whether it's a look or a face unlock, but one thing is, it's the phone ,But there is a point that I am very resistant to its control panel, because there are no buttons on the screen, which can cause a lot of inconvenience when operating, especially for novices ,
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 55 of 60
    Get rid of the home bar, or at least let it be dimmed. I use my iPhone on my bed stand as a clock, and while I can dim the display from within the app so that it's not intrusive, the home bar is there like a full moon. Let the user decide whether it should be displayed or allow it to be dimmed with the application.
  • Reply 56 of 60
    i agree with a few

For me, on my iPhone X, swiping down from the middle brings up search and app suggestions, just like it has on my previous iPhones.  The only change on the X was Control Center is now swipe down from the top right and Notification Center swipe down from top left. Technically I can swipe down from directly beneath the notch to get NC but if I’m a fraction off I get Search. 
    Don't know how you get that. If I swipe down from the middle, with the phone unlocked, I get notifications.
  • Reply 57 of 60
    aegean said:
    I love my iPhone X and only thing I would like Apple to improve is faster Face ID detection. I am sure Apple will improve it further as technology advances. But so far all the issues mentioned in this post, don't affect me and I am pretty much friendly with all these gestures and no problems whatsoever. But things can certainly be improved and there's always room for improvements. We are not perfect and will never be.
    Really, my X unlocks almost instantly. Usually before I even have a chance to swipe up. It's like I am not even unlocking it.
  • Reply 58 of 60
    i agree with a few

Okay fair enuf, however why cant apole gives us a choice of deciding for ourselves if we want to have swipe up enabled, surely giving us that option would make the thing more user friendly? 
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 59 of 60
    The lack of landscape mode on iPhone X makes me almost positive that there will be a bigger X next year.
    We will definitely get a iPhone X Plus, or whatever they're going to call it, next year, and I'm looking forward to it.
  • Reply 60 of 60
    i agree with a few

That is swiping down from anywhere on a home screen not swiping down from the top of the screen. I was commenting that you didn’t need to try to reach the top left corner for notifications. Pulling down from the top right gives you control center, but the rest of the top area gives you notifications.