Advanced TrueDepth camera, Face ID "major drivers" of iPhone X user satisfaction

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    noicc1138 said:
    FaceID in my opinion is superior to TouchID due to the fact there is no finger movement. It’s all automatic. Not quite as accurate... but close. 

Yah same here. It can bit a bit hit or miss, but I imagine they'll improve that as time goes on. It's especially useful for cooking. No longer have to wipe my thumb / fingers off to unlock my phone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 63
    tango81 said:
    I don’t own an X, I have used one first hand.
    I set two up for close relatives. 
    The positives:

the OLED screen
    the OLED screen
    the OLED screen!!

The negatives:
    TouchID (2nd gen) is faster
    TouchID is one step to unlock
    Notch blocks video, super annoying for me who enjoying watching videos in landscape
    Scroll bar blocked in landscape. Super annoying for me who surfs the web. 
    Aspect ratio is all wrong. iPhone 6 & 6 Plus can be used in full screen to watch video. 

For £1,000, that’s too many compromises. Hopefully next year the iPhone 9 should eliminate many if not all of these. 
    Another guy who doesn’t know what he’s talking about. The notch does not block video, unless you willfully choose to zoom-in on your video, which I never did even on pre-X models because doing so chops off the sides of the video content. 

Face ID is the same number of steps as Touch ID — one. Swipe up. That’s it. And it's even fewer steps than Touch ID if you want to view notification details (ex: iMessage contents) -- simply look at screen, no need to perform any action.

No idea what you’re talking about with scrolling in safari in landscape, works fine here, with scroll bars no identical to vertical. But I actually have one, so...
    edited December 2017 tmaylkruppwatto_cobrachia
  • Reply 23 of 63
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    The best part of the iPhone X for me is how everything is so natural. I said to myself that without TouchID, I am done with the iPhone.  With the iPhone X, my perspective all changed and going back to using my old 6S Plus is now so primitive. 
    watto_cobracrosslad
  • Reply 24 of 63
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Countering the speculative narrative that iPhone upgraders might be turned off by iPhone X’s missing Home button and Touch ID and its new touch navigation gestures and Face ID authentication, a report published by the Strategy Analytics Consumer Sentiment Analysis group identified the new phone's front-facing TrueDepth camera as a primary driver of interest among buyers and noted that customer sentiment surrounding Face ID is "extremely positive."

And where was that ’speculative narrative’ coming from? Oh, that’s right, the trolls and fake techies that have negative takes on everything thing Apple does. As usual the market proves them stupidly wrong. Now they’re going after the HomePod and are pre-failing it too. Stupid is as stupid does.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobracrosslad
  • Reply 25 of 63
    tango81 said:
    The positives:

the OLED screen
    the OLED screen
    the OLED screen!!

The negatives:
    Notch blocks video, super annoying for me who enjoying watching videos in landscape
    Aspect ratio is all wrong. iPhone 6 & 6 Plus can be used in full screen to watch video. 

For £1,000, that’s too many compromises. Hopefully next year the iPhone 9 should eliminate many if not all of these. 

So what’t your explanation for the outrageous success of the iPhone X? The standard troll response? People who buy it are stupid?
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 63
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    tango81 said:

Comments like this are hilarious. 
    So with Touch ID you unlock your iPhone but then never look at it?
    StrangeDayswatto_cobrachiandirishfan1975
  • Reply 27 of 63
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Once more it would appear as though Apple actually knows what they are doing - listen to this, armchair CEOs and nerds! ;)

My my wife has the X and we both love it. The one thing I clearly dislike, however, is the nickel and dimming, here e.g. by saving the practical plastic case for the wired headphones and replacing it with some one time paper thingy. 
    And yes, I do realize they like you to buy the AirPods (I have and love them, but still very short in supply so I’m not the only one it seems). 
    I've got a stack of these things and the plastic cases are hard to recycle, so I'm glad to hear that they're putting them in paper covers. 

I'd like them to go a step further and ask if you want headphones when you order the phone, and then if you say 'yes', you get a free set – in a paper bag. I've got so many of these things now, and I can't give 'em away because all my friends have iPhones so they have drawers full of the damn things too.

I do think that its good that Apple includes headphones even as tangled as they get. I wonder does any manufacturer ear buds that use those nylon braided cables that are used on nice charging cables like Native Union?
  • Reply 28 of 63
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    I personnaly like face id better than touch id.

what impress me the most at first was how small the footprint is, the phone is a lot smaller than my old iphone 6 plus.

the screen is very impressive, its more vivid

I didnt had any issues adjusting to the new gesture.

I dont mind the notch at the top, you need to see it like the screen is invading the bezel instead of the bezel invading the screen 

I watched a video in landscapes,  I dont see any problems there, the notch is not part of the video, you get snall bezels on the left and right sides of the screen.
    edited December 2017 pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 63
    Still very happy with my iPhone SE 32GB!
    crossladtobian
  • Reply 30 of 63
    Still very happy with my iPhone SE 32GB!
    Would you mind explaining the purpose of your post? We’re talking here about the iPhone X and how popular it is with users. What does the iPhone SE have to so with this discussion? With anything?
    watto_cobrabrucemc
  • Reply 31 of 63
    After using iPhone X for about 1 month:

To me Touch ID is superior to Face ID. Face ID fails more often and requires me to type in a passcode. Especially in a car, using Apple Pay  or when watching content in landscape mode (which Face ID doesn’t ‘read’) the weakness of this system is the most apparent.
    I keep thinking Face ID is a solution in search of a problem, un-Apple almost. Touch ID on a side button would have been more logical & elegant to me. 
    Clearly Apple must have designed this 3D scan system to prepare for a future - something more than just authenticating using my face?

Other than that I’m happy with my phone. The screen is just excellent and the speed is pleasure. I hope my battery will still be as great in one year as it is now.
    edited December 2017 muthuk_vanalingamBacillus3
  • Reply 32 of 63
    Face ID makes me feel like I dont have password(s) anymore. It moves passwords to the background.

I do not miss the home button in anyway.

Dont understand the notch hate. I dont even notice it. 

Battery life is really great, IMO. Best I have had in an iPhone.

Only thing that bothers me is the control centre access by swiping down from right ear.

Easily my favorite iPhone to date. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 63
    I wish all AI writers were as capable as Dilger. 
    watto_cobratobian
  • Reply 34 of 63

To me Touch ID is superior to Face ID. Face ID fails more often and requires me to type in a passcode. Especially in a car, using Apple Pay"

You are using Apple Pay in wrong way If you fail with that! What you do right before when you need it, you double tap sleep wake button, you scan your face BEFORE and now you are ready to use it! You know it works everytime when you get close to reader and it takes under second and you are done (you don't do the scanning now).

For me it sounds that you are using Apple Pay like this: When you got the price from reader you take your phone close to scanner and try to scan your face, yeah NO!

I used Apple Pay with touch ID like you try to use face ID, with face ID i changed the way for the way i just explained to you and now i know every single time that it works because i scanned my face upfront. The face ID pass stays on 30 or 60 seconds, don't remember which one it was.
    edited December 2017 chiandirishfan1975watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 63

To me Touch ID is superior to Face ID. Face ID fails more often and requires me to type in a passcode. Especially in a car, using Apple Pay  or when watching content in landscape mode (which Face ID doesn’t ‘read’) the weakness of this system is the most apparent.

The Apple Pay issue has already been addressed by another poster but I was curious about your other issues. If you are a passenger in a car I’m not sure why Face ID isn’t working. Otherwise you shouldn’t be using your phone while driving. And I’m not sure I understand why you would need to use Face ID while watching something in landscape mode. I agree I would like it so work in landscape but it’s usually a non issue and I’m not sure I’ve ever had cause to use either Face ID or Touch ID while already watching something in landscape. 
    I think Face ID is largely on par with Touch ID for unlocking the phone and is much more useful for iCloud Keychain and unlocking apps. I open my banking app and as soon as the app is open it initiates Face ID and I’m inside the app without any further action in my part. I love it. 
    edited December 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 63
    thedba said:
    tango81 said:

Comments like this are hilarious. 
    So with Touch ID you unlock your iPhone but then never look at it?
    I do not need to look at my phone when paying using ApplePay (which is awesome!), just wait for the haptic feedback. :)

I prefer all iPhones from 1 to 8, that’s my preference. If you prefer the X, good for you. Have a nice day. 
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 37 of 63
    lkrupp said:
    tango81 said:
    The positives:

the OLED screen
    the OLED screen
    the OLED screen!!

The negatives:

So what’t your explanation for the outrageous success of the iPhone X? The standard troll response? People who buy it are stupid?
    Pent up demand for a change? The iPhone design hasn’t changed all that much since 2014.

I never said people who buy it are stupid. I love my close relatives who bought the iPhone X. Have a nice day   
  • Reply 38 of 63
    tango81 said:
    The positives:

the OLED screen
    the OLED screen
    the OLED screen!!

The negatives:

Another guy who doesn’t know what he’s talking about. The notch does not block video, unless you willfully choose to zoom-in on your video, which I never did even on pre-X models because doing so chops off the sides of the video content. 

Face ID is the same number of steps as Touch ID — one. Swipe up. That’s it. And it's even fewer steps than Touch ID if you want to view notification details (ex: iMessage contents) -- simply look at screen, no need to perform any action.

No idea what you’re talking about with scrolling in safari in landscape, works fine here, with scroll bars no identical to vertical. But I actually have one, so...
    Does this happen to you when browsing the web in landscape:

https://twitter.com/BenPackard/status/907785129829036033

If not, comment.

Are any of these user experience gripes relevant to you:

https://youtu.be/0V5_uU3NNpw

I personally, expect more from Apple (since they have set the bar so high) given the price tag, Have a nice day. 
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 39 of 63
    tango81 said:
    The positives:

the OLED screen
    the OLED screen
    the OLED screen!!

The negatives:

The notch does block video, unless you change the zoom setting. 
    TouchId is one click to unlock and get to home screen. FaceId you need to look at the phone, wait, then swipe up.

This covers some other issues with the user experience:
  • Reply 40 of 63
    tango81 said:
    tango81 said:
    The positives:

the OLED screen
    the OLED screen
    the OLED screen!!

The negatives:

The notch does block video, unless you change the zoom setting. 
    TouchId is one click to unlock and get to home screen. FaceId you need to look at the phone, wait, then swipe up.

This covers some other issues with the user experience:
    It’s amazing, every word you just said is wrong. 

The notch by default does not cut off video, you have to zoom in for it to cut into video. It plays in 16:9 aspect ratio by default.  Also you didn’t my have to wait to swipe up with Face ID. It’s all one motion. 
    watto_cobracrossladStrangeDaystmay