A Christmas miracle: iPhone X now available at 97% of US Apple stores

Posted:
in iPhone
Customers looking to buy an iPhone X post-Christmas should have little problem, as new data shows the device in stock at as many as 97 percent of U.S. Apple stores.

During the week of Dec. 18 through the 25th, availability at 139 of Apple's 271 U.S. locations grew from 56 to 97 percent for an average of 75 percent, Loup Ventures analyst Gene Munster said in a memo shared with AppleInsider. That average compares against 44 percent the previous week, and 25 percent the week before that.

In eight countries, Apple's online lead times by the 25th were said to be about 4 days, versus 3 days on the 18th and the week's average of 5 days -- unchanged from the week prior.

The iPhone X should reach "global supply demand equilibrium" in mid-January, Munster has said, giving Apple's March quarter a "small bump up" from December demand rolling over.

"The bigger story is that the [Wall] Street is underestimating the positive ASP [average sales price] impact from the iPhone X over the next few quarters, which should play out as a positive to the Apple story," Munster argued. The analyst called for an ASP of $740 for Apple's 2018 fiscal year, versus general Street consensus of $705.

On Monday, Taiwan's Economic Daily News claimed that Apple is trimming iPhone X orders for the next quarter from 50 million to just 30 million, which led to stock dips for the company's suppliers. Apple typically scales back production to some degree post-Christmas, however.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Yes, truly a Festivus miracle...of common sense. People wise enough to not blow a minimum $1000 on a phone that makes it near impossible to close out apps and with a goofy notch as part of its style lines. Course $1000+ was reason enough and I could have stopped there.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Yes, truly a Festivus miracle...of common sense. People wise enough to not blow a minimum $1000 on a phone that makes it near impossible to close out apps and with a goofy notch as part of its style lines. Course $1000+ was reason enough and I could have stopped there.
    Bla,Bla,Bla!!!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Okay, so we’re now entering the Dump stage of the Pump and Dump cycle. You know the routine. First build the stock up by predicting record sales. Now come the negatives implying that sales are not what they might have been, all based on the idea that supply and demand are coming into balance. When supply is not keeping up with demand it’s because Apple is intentionally holding back production to give the illusion of huge demand. When supply begins to sync with demand it’s because Apple’s new product is a dud like the haters proclaimed. Lather, rinse, repeat. Hope springs eternal that Apple will fail and disappear shortly and the tech universe will rejoice.

Which analyst do you believe? What do the chicken bones show us for the future? The stock market runs on greed and fear. Every share sold because of fear is bought because of greed.
    RonnnieOwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Did you check in with the Apple Hater’s Talking Point Repository (AHTPR) this morning yet? I think there’s a new batch of ‘em and you may find something fresh to spew. The current stuff is old and boring.
    Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    We’ve heard from Gene, now let’s hear what Eddie has to say:

• Reply 6 of 14
    an abominable device, strange screen ration narrow and long and with the disgusting cutout at the top. all that for over 1000 dollars when the market is full of quality phones from competitors for less money. 
    king editor the gratecrosslad
  • Reply 7 of 14
    johnbear said:
    an abominable device, strange screen ration narrow and long and with the disgusting cutout at the top. all that for over 1000 dollars when the market is full of quality phones from competitors for less money. 
    I sure seem to love the abominable way it rocks my world and fills my pocket. Appreciate the tip though. Where's my hammer?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    Does this mean anything at all? It *might* mean that Apple is not selling as many as we expected; on the other hand, it *might* mean that Apple is firing on all cylinders.

I don't know why people think they can interpret these things with only one piece of information. Let's say I'm out of breath. A bunch of people decide I just had a heart attack; a bunch of people think I just ran a marathon, and a bunch of people decided that I'm out of shape and ran up some stairs. Then a small group of people thinks, "Maybe I need more information to understand this."
    edited December 2017 king editor the gratewatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingamzoetmb
  • Reply 9 of 14
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    Well, it might be related to this article: “Supply chain scuttlebutt stokes fears that Apple’s $999 iPhone X price is too high

There is always a decent cadre of die hard fans, early adopters, journalists, etc that wants the latest iPhone, so the early sales numbers aren’t a terribly accurate indicator of demand. Given the new form factor, Face ID and other changes with the iPhone X, I suspect this group is likely a bit larger than it was for, say, the iPhone 7.  After the initial dust settles, the true market emerges. 

As I’ve said before, I suspect many people will decide that the extra features the iPhone X has don’t justify the price premium over an iPhone 8, but the market will tell. If sales are really bad, Apple will come out with the iPhone XI next year and drop the price, which is good for all of us. 
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Hopefully they remove the notch as well.
    MplsP said:
    Well, it might be related to this article: “Supply chain scuttlebutt stokes fears that Apple’s $999 iPhone X price is too high

There is always a decent cadre of die hard fans, early adopters, journalists, etc that wants the latest iPhone, so the early sales numbers aren’t a terribly accurate indicator of demand. Given the new form factor, Face ID and other changes with the iPhone X, I suspect this group is likely a bit larger than it was for, say, the iPhone 7.  After the initial dust settles, the true market emerges. 

As I’ve said before, I suspect many people will decide that the extra features the iPhone X has don’t justify the price premium over an iPhone 8, but the market will tell. If sales are really bad, Apple will come out with the iPhone XI next year and drop the price, which is good for all of us. 
    Hopefully they remove the notch as well.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    johnbear said:
    Hmmm it seems like Christmas has brought in some more Apple haters, go figure. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    No hater. I have two 64gb SE’s, two 2015 MBP 15’s, a 2011 iMac, AirPods and Watch3...no complaints on the other products - the X is just too much- too expensive; to fragile; too ugly. I have a perfectly fast capable SE that actually DOES fit in a pocket, has Apple Pay, works great with AirPods and goes for $400...I can buy 2.5 of these for the cost of the X, which has a better camera I know, but what else? I can play Infinity Blade faster? ...or whatever lame game Phil Schiller called some developer up to demonstrate at the last keynote? Please...
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 13 of 14
    "I hate asparagus, but I don't talk about it on the Asparagus.com message board." - Shawn Drover
    watto_cobrazoetmb
  • Reply 14 of 14
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
     If Apple haters ever decided to purchase any Apple products,  they would no longer be haters. 
    edited December 2017 watto_cobraLukeCage