AT&T workforce stricken with over 2000 layoffs U.S-wide days after $1000 tax reform bonus ...

Posted:
in General Discussion
In the days before Christmas, AT&T and DirecTV gave layoff notices to a large number of landline, legacy service, and home installers spanning the country -- and more are coming.

On Dec. 16, about 600 employees were notified of the pending layoffs. Most of those were across mid-west states, with some of those including higher-skilled workers.

Other layoffs by the company include "more than 700" DirectTV home installers across the country. Additionally, in December, AT&T fired 215 technicians in "nine Southern states" according to the New York Post, with another 700 reportedly coming in Texas and Missouri in February.

"Merry Christmas, here's your pink slip," a worker said to the New York Post. "It's affecting all states from Florida to California."

It is not clear if the firings relate to the pending AT&T and Time Warner acquisition, or how it specifically relates to the announcement that the company was giving $1000 bonuses to 200,000 employees in commemoration of the tax overhaul signed just before Christmas.

AppleInsider has confirmed layoffs in California, Connecticut, Florida, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, North Carolina, Texas, and Virginia.

Employees have three weeks to find and apply for another job that they are suited for within the company, or the termination is permanent. AT&T employees that are expecting to be laid off have told AppleInsider that the options that the company is presenting are slim, and a fraction of the salary that they were earning before.

"Technology improvements are driving higher efficiencies, and there are some areas where demand for our legacy services continues to decline." AppleInsider was told in a statement. "We're adjusting our workforce in some of those areas as we continue to align our workforce with the changing needs of the business."

Union representatives have noted to Newsweek that a number of the $1000 "capital-freeing event" bonus recipients as a result of the new tax legislation are on the chopping block.

"How can you lay people off and then give them $1,000 and say that there's going to be more jobs available?" asked Local 6360 Communication Workers of America Union President Joseph Blanco. "I wish someone could tell me how that's possible because I have to explain that to my members, and right now at this time of year, this is a difficult pill to swallow."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    The Middle Class and these AT&T Employees can thank the Republicans and Trump for their loss of jobs while the rich get richer.
    Soliclemynxcecil444deepinsidermacky the mackyOferGeorgeBMactzm41dysamoriawaverboy
  • Reply 2 of 82
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I guess they blew their load when they excessively bribed lobbied politicians to repeal NN and created excessive false accounts and propaganda to dupe less than intelligence American citizens into believing that it was a good idea.
    edited December 2017 cecil444jahbladeviclauyycGeorgeBMactzm41singularitywaverboyronnktappedasanman69
  • Reply 3 of 82
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Are there no morals anymore? I know it wouldn’t have changed much had they been notified in January but still, you don’t fire people right before Christmas, especially if it’s only to increase your margins. 
    russwdeepinsiderviclauyycwaverboypropodronnmagman1979
  • Reply 4 of 82
    clemynx said:
    Are there no morals anymore? I know it wouldn’t have changed much had they been notified in January but still, you don’t fire people right before Christmas, especially if it’s only to increase your margins. 
    There's no good time to be laid off. Yeah it sucks during Christmas, but it hurts the employee just as much now as it would later on. 
    racerhomie3dhawkins541mwhitetzm41
  • Reply 5 of 82
    Corporations are not benevolent organizations dedicated to the welfare of their employees. They are profit-seeking enterprises that will take whatever steps necessary (usually within the law) to maximize revenues, profits, and shareholder value. Yeah. The timing of this sucks, especially for those affected, but the reality is that AT&T is managing in it's own self-interest. Tax cuts have very little influence since most large corporations already employ various techniques to minimize taxes. Apple being one of the most creative tax avoiders...
    cecil444chiawilliamlondontzm41propod
  • Reply 6 of 82
    karmadave said:
    Corporations are not benevolent organizations dedicated to the welfare of their employees. They are profit-seeking enterprises that will take whatever steps necessary (usually within the law) to maximize revenues, profits, and shareholder value. Yeah. The timing of this sucks, especially for those affected, but the reality is that AT&T is managing in it's own self-interest. Tax cuts have very little influence since most large corporations already employ various techniques to minimize taxes. Apple being one of the most creative tax avoiders...

What evidence do you have that Apple does not pay all the tax it owes? I agree there are pending legal disputes, but do you expect Apple to refuse to pay once a legal determination is made? And I'm curious: are you a "tax avoider" by paying only what you legally owe? Or do you put a few extra dollars in to try to help out?

netmagelkrupppscooter63mwhiteviclauyyctzm41MacsplosionStrangeDaystallest skilcornchip
  • Reply 7 of 82
    karmadave said:
    Strictly, "tax avoidance" is a legal obligation imposed on publicly-traded companies. "Maximizing shareholder value" and all that.
    cecil444russwnetmagechiamwhiteasdasdtzm41cornchipmagman1979
  • Reply 8 of 82

It is not clear if the firings relate to the pending AT&T and Time Warner acquisition, or how it specifically relates to the announcement that the company was giving $1000 bonuses to 200,000 employees in commemoration of the tax overhaul signed just before Christmas.

Union representatives have noted to Newsweek that a number of the $1000 "capital-freeing event" bonus recipients as a result of the new tax legislation are on the chopping block.
    It's worth noting that the bonus was decided before the GOP's rushed tax code overhaul during negotiations with various unions. Meanwhile, this layoff appears to have been decided after the tax code overhaul.
    cecil444netmageleavingthebiggGeorgeBMacasdasdtzm41ronncornchip
  • Reply 9 of 82
    Whoever taught the new tax law will be a boon to the middle-class and bring back jobs are delusional. Let’s leave it to the big corporations to do the right thing and take all those savings from the new tax law and invest it back by bringing in more jobs and not give it back to their shareholders and bottom line. And the extra puny money the new tax law gives me, I need to make sure I don’t blow it all in one place.
    viclauyycGeorgeBMacasdasdmuthuk_vanalingamronncornchip
  • Reply 10 of 82
    Why Americans allow CEO's to fire workers willy-nilly to make their short-term bottom line look better is beyond me.

Yep, lay them off and put them on the dole. Great.

In Germany, for example, BMW is not allowed to layoff and send them to the unemployment line for the government to pay. First, they have to go on 3/4 time, then half time, then 1/4 time and into a retraining program. Now that's how a responsible company should operate. 

Case in point, Germany was the last country to go into the Great Recession of 2008 and the first to come out! 

Oh well. 

edited December 2017 deepinsiderking editor the gratewillettchiasteveaumacky the mackyOferdhawkins541williamlondontzm41
  • Reply 11 of 82
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    eightzero said:
    karmadave said:

What evidence do you have that Apple does not pay all the tax it owes? I agree there are pending legal disputes, but do you expect Apple to refuse to pay once a legal determination is made? And I'm curious: are you a "tax avoider" by paying only what you legally owe? Or do you put a few extra dollars in to try to help out?

I didn't get from Karmadave the idea that Apple wasn't paying what it legally owes.There's nothing wrong with tax avoidance.  Businesses and individuals do it all the time and there's nothing wrong with it.  Flexible savings accounts, 529 plans, IRAs etc are all perfectly legal ways to minimize your taxes.

As for the biotching  about Trump and Republicans (not from you 80), I hardly see how they're responsible for slack demand for "legacy services" like copper landlines and horrible satellite tv.   AT&T might find uses for these people with advanced obsolete skills, but there's just not the demand for saddle makers or buggy whip fabricators anymore.  (And it can happen to you (and me) too.)
    netmageJanNL
  • Reply 12 of 82
    There is no news here for anyone who follows AT&T. The wireless company is non-union and the legacy Baby Bells are mostly CWA Union members. What is today called AT&T is the old Southwestern Bell Telephone operating company that bought up Ameritech, PacTel, Bell South and the old long distance unit of the original AT&T. The wireless operations used to be Cingular Wireless and is a non union company. The old Union companies have been a shrinking ice cube for years and the largely non-union parts have been where the growth exist.

AT&T’s CEO worked his way up from the bottom and has implemented a very generous educational program for employees to train up and get the skills necessary to get the jobs that are growing as the legacy ones die off. Many of the CWA members have been fighting this transition for years and oppose the system- not wanting to take non-union positions elsewhere in the company. The copper wire company is dying and the CWA is acting like it is 1979.

AT&T has been selling off small town phone systems and keeping the ones in more densely populated areas. AT&T Fiber is building out in the old copper wire company’s rights of way. If we could see a show of hands you will find out few people have a land line phone from AT&T, so not many people are required to maintain it. On the DIRECTV side, most new installations are done by contractors and many customers will eventually move over to DIRECTVNOW which is online self service and web based. With no end user equipment.

The CWA members fighting this are like buggy whip makers at the dawn of the car age- their trade is falling out of favor and they need to adapt. AT&T is not the bad guy here, these people go through annual reviews where options are discussed, long term job prospects reviewed and choices are made. AT&T has made a great effort to allow employees to adapt to the changing business, and many want to stay in their CWA Union positions rather than change with the company.

Despite the angle being promoted here, this has nothing to do with Trump or the GOP Tax Bill. This about a big legacy company integrating acquisitions and adapting to changes in the business. They have no place for those not willing to change with the company.
    brucemcnetmagedigital_guypscooter63viclauyyctzm41waverboyh2ploquiturcornchip
  • Reply 13 of 82
    karmadave said:
    Don't blame Apple for what it does...blame lawmakers who made the laws the way they were and refused to change them. Instead, they (and people like you) just bitch about companies like Apple who use the loopholes (which are legal BTW) to bring its profits elsewhere. 
    mwhite
  • Reply 14 of 82
    The Middle Class and these AT&T Employees can thank the Republicans and Trump for their loss of jobs while the rich get richer.
    Spoken like a true liberal. Always someone else to blame. 

" layoff notices to a large number of landline, legacy service, and home installers spanning the country "
    Anybody in these kinds of positions has had a very long time to prepare and should have seen the writing on the wall. No one to blame but themselves if they're not prepared to step into another role by now.
    netmagemwhitewilliamlondontzm41h2p
  • Reply 15 of 82
    This nonsense that At&T is non union is comical. Everyone below manager is a union member field tech, call center, & sales. There are more than one union in the At&T umbrella. A majority of these layoffs are the end result of AT&T’s acquisition of Directv. If you were one of the 10,000 field techs (in house not contractors) and you reported to a shop of 10 techs that were down the street from a 100 person At&T shop chances are you were surplused. On them letting go of local small markets that is good business. You can’t grow a sustainable business when you can only grow in a set market. At&T has put all there eggs in one basket and it’s wireless. They can reach everybody anywhere in the us and don’t need to build out an infrastructure within certain boarders.  Decision to hand out a bonus probably most likely was a nod to the justice department to allow them to merge with time warner. The layoffs were none before thanksgivings. 
  • Reply 16 of 82
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Why Americans allow CEO's to fire workers willy-nilly to make their short-term bottom line look better is beyond me.

Yep, lay them off and put them on the dole. Great.

In Germany, for example, BMW is not allowed to layoff and send them to the unemployment line for the government to pay. First, they have to go on 3/4 time, then half time, then 1/4 time and into a retraining program. Now that's how a responsible company should operate. 

Case in point, Germany was the last country to go into the Great Recession of 2008 and the first to come out! 

Oh well. 

Three things:

1. Great Resession?
    2. AT&T sucks
    3. I am apparently a “tax avoider” as I only pay what I owe.  I use an reputable accountant to be certain.
    edited December 2017 mwhitewilliamlondonJanNLcornchip
  • Reply 17 of 82
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    williamh said:
    eightzero said:
    karmadave said:

I didn't get from Karmadave the idea that Apple wasn't paying what it legally owes.There's nothing wrong with tax avoidance.  Businesses and individuals do it all the time and there's nothing wrong with it.  Flexible savings accounts, 529 plans, IRAs etc are all perfectly legal ways to minimize your taxes.

As for the biotching  about Trump and Republicans (not from you 80), I hardly see how they're responsible for slack demand for "legacy services" like copper landlines and horrible satellite tv.   AT&T might find uses for these people with advanced obsolete skills, but there's just not the demand for saddle makers or buggy whip fabricators anymore.  (And it can happen to you (and me) too.)
    Same with coal, right?
    SolichiaHabi_tweetGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 18 of 82
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    karmadave said:
    I think this is exactly why pharmaceutical companies have very little motivation to provide cures and are quite content to provide lifelong prescriptions that can run as much as $5000 per dose. 
    macky the mackyGeorgeBMactzm41waverboy
  • Reply 19 of 82
    Layoff is not "firing."

Layoff   = "not for cause"  i.e., the company eliminated the POSITION
    Firing   = "for cause"         i.e., the company terminated the INDIVIDUAL due to behavior or performance in the role

Yeah I realize that either stinks, especially right before Christmas.

I just ask that journalists not use "fired" as a shorthand for "laid off".  They are not the same.

radarthekatwilliamlondontzm41h2pcornchip
  • Reply 20 of 82
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Australia’s employment laws are similar to the US and they haven’t had a recession there for 25 years so what’s your point?
    pscooter63cornchip
This discussion has been closed.