As Qualcomm dispute drags on, Apple said to tap MediaTek for additional 2018 iPhone modem ...

Posted:
in iPhone
Looking to reduce its reliance on legal foe Qualcomm, Apple is said to be eyeing a partnership with Taiwan's MediaTek, which could supply baseband modem chipsets for iPhones beginning in 2018.

Word of the potential partnership was reported on Tuesday by DigiTimes, which has a hit-or-miss track record on Apple product rumors, but frequently gets scoops on which companies land part orders from the iPhone maker.

Tuesday's report qualified that MediaTek "has a chance" to secure modem orders from Apple. The Cupertino, Calif., company already transferred half of its iPhone modem chipsets from Qualcomm to Intel, following Apple's lawsuit filed earlier this year, accusing Qualcomm of withholding nearly $1 billion in rebates.

In addition, word of MediaTek gaining a role in Apple's supply chain was already previously reported by The Wall Street Journal in October.

According to DigiTimes, Apple has three key principles it expects of suppliers, all of which MediaTek meets: Companies must offer leading technological competitiveness, they must have comprehensive product blueprints, and they need reliable logistic support.

Beyond the iPhone, it was speculated that MediaTek could cooperate with Apple on future product lines like smart speakers and wireless charging devices. That would suggest the company could contribute to the HomePod and AirPower product lineups down the road.

In its dispute with Qualcomm, Apple claims the company withheld some $1 billion in royalty rebates in retaliation for cooperating with South Korean antitrust investigators. The ongoing issues could be rendered moot if Qualcomm is acquired by Broadcom, which has allegedly considered a hostile takeover priced at well over $100 billion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    DigiTimes = Nope
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Qualcomm is well-known. Who is MediaTek? I heard that the Intel modems weren’t as good as the Qualcomm ones so all iPhones were kept at Intel standards to give uniformity for users. I’d like the best for my device. 
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Anilu_777 said:
    Qualcomm is well-known. Who is MediaTek? I heard that the Intel modems weren’t as good as the Qualcomm ones so all iPhones were kept at Intel standards to give uniformity for users. I’d like the best for my device. 
    Both are well-known in the industry. 
    racerhomie3mike1
  • Reply 4 of 14
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Destroy ALL of Qualcomm Apple. I give you all of my blessings.
    Those idiots are advertising in the WSJ that they are the reason why cellular networks exist.Then they will claim they created TouchID .

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Those idiots are advertising in the WSJ that they are the reason why cellular networks exist.Then they will claim they created TouchID .

You're the ignorant one.  While apple as a whole created a product that pushed the cellular phone industry.  Much of the technology that goes into the iphone are not created by apple and were never given credit to where they're due.  IEEE just awarded Qualcomm the Milestone award for their inventions that made high speed / high bandwidth for cellular possible.  What else is on this award list? oh just the internet, transistors, radar, maxwell equations, you know the trivial stuff as racerhomie3 would call it.
    GG1
  • Reply 7 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Def, I don’t believe you understood what racerhomie said.
    oh, wait, a first post. 
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 14
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member

Qualcomm were hugely important to the development of cellular networks during the formative years (1990's), both network design, base station, and handset technology. Probably the most important single company (next to Motorola) for cellular network development (the GSM consortium in Europe was also very important).

Your angst comes from Qualcomm's licensing/royalties methods, which have pissed off the industry for years (anyone remember BREW from the 90's?). Since Qualcomm became huge AND had the best cellular modem chips, no one could stand up to them -- except Apple.

And Apple have made it clear that throttling the Qualcomm chips' throughput to level the field with Intel chips is MORE important than dealing with Qualcomm's methods. To me, this is VERY REVEALING - this is one situation where Apple aren't picking the best technological choice.

Hey, Broadcom -- buy Qualcomm and put in place more normal licensing methods so Apple can continue to use Qualcomm chips (i.e., clear out Qualcomm's "mahogony row" but leave the engineers alone).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member

You're the ignorant one.  While apple as a whole created a product that pushed the cellular phone industry.  Much of the technology that goes into the iphone are not created by apple and were never given credit to where they're due.  IEEE just awarded Qualcomm the Milestone award for their inventions that made high speed / high bandwidth for cellular possible.  What else is on this award list? oh just the internet, transistors, radar, maxwell equations, you know the trivial stuff as racerhomie3 would call it.
    The IEEE Milestone award is a very big deal. Congratulations, Qualcomm.

https://timesofsandiego.com/tech/2017/11/07/qualcomm-and-its-founders-recognized-for-historic-electronics-milestone/
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Why would the Broadcom takeover render it all moot?  Wouldn't they just inherit whatever patent and legal issues Qualcomm has with Apple or anyone else?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    Sooner or later, Apple will have a 3rd party cellular modem inside their SoCs. Then they’ll have a customized one. The quicker they can drive the cost of patent royalties for cellular patents, the better for them. 

But this MediaTek rumor sounds like a 2019 thing at best. The 2018 phones are locked in hardware-wise. Maybe it is for a different product than phones though. The rumor is that MediaTek can bid for a modem component contract from Apple? That’s a nothing burger. If really true, maybe Apple has qualified a MediaTek modem for usage in Apple products and therefore MediaTek can bid. That’s the only way this makes 2018.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Can we assume that Intel's modems are simply not making good enough strides?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    entropys said:
    Def, I don’t believe you understood what racerhomie said.
    oh, wait, a first post. 
    At some point in the past, we both submitted a first post. It’s a shame that the trolling here has been allowed to reach such a high level that folk can’t actually join without fuelling suspicion. I take your point, but nothing this new chap said was actually untrue. (Though the notion that Apple should give credit to Qualcomm for the the creation of the iPhone is as laughable as saying I should give credit for my spectacular lemon and summer fruit drizzle cheesecake to the cow that produced the milk that was used to make the cheese. Qualcomm’s gubbins is not what makes the iPhone successful simply because Qualcomm’s gubbins is in every other smartphone. It is not a product differentiator, and neither was the cow). 

There is no doubt that Qualcomm has made (and continues to make) groundbreaking strides in communications, but unfortunately for Qualcomm this makes not a jot of difference in whether or not their double-dipping is something that will end up costing them more than they’re gaining. 

Google refused to add turn-by-turn navigation to their iOS Maps app (something which I think was quite dangerous). The net result of this is that Google lost its place as the most-used mapping app on iOS. 

It will take years, but I don’t see Qualcomm being the net winner out of this. 

radarthekatmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

GG1 said:

Qualcomm were hugely important to the development of cellular networks during the formative years (1990's), both network design, base station, and handset technology. Probably the most important single company (next to Motorola) for cellular network development (the GSM consortium in Europe was also very important).

Your angst comes from Qualcomm's licensing/royalties methods, which have pissed off the industry for years (anyone remember BREW from the 90's?). Since Qualcomm became huge AND had the best cellular modem chips, no one could stand up to them -- except Apple.

And Apple have made it clear that throttling the Qualcomm chips' throughput to level the field with Intel chips is MORE important than dealing with Qualcomm's methods. To me, this is VERY REVEALING - this is one situation where Apple aren't picking the best technological choice.

Hey, Broadcom -- buy Qualcomm and put in place more normal licensing methods so Apple can continue to use Qualcomm chips (i.e., clear out Qualcomm's "mahogony row" but leave the engineers alone).
    Apple never said it makes the best technological choice. They use slower processors and underclock  them, which is why my Mac laptops outlasted a Dell, an Asus and one other I can’t remember. And due to the tight integration with this slower hardware, the machine performance was easily on a par with the Windows machines that burned out in a third of the time. 

The best technological choice is not necessarily the best choice for your customers. Besides which, who, aside from people who’ve read about the difference, is actually going to notice a real-world difference between Qualcomm and Intel modems? Geeks? Maybe? The other 99.9% of Apple’s customer base? No, probably not. 

radarthekatwatto_cobra