LG teases new Apple-compatible Thunderbolt 3 monitors including '5K UltraWide' model

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
LG is set to show off two new Thunderbolt 3 monitors at this January's Consumer Electronics Show, including the company's first 21:9 "5K UltraWide" display.

The 34WK95U is a 34-inch model with 5,120-by-2,160 resolution, high dynamic range, and LG's "Nano IPS" technology, which is said to boost the "intensity and purity" of colors. Thunderbolt 3 lets the monitor handle 5K images at 60 hertz, and connect laptops like the MacBook Pro without an additional power source.

The 32UK950 will offer a similar featureset, but in a more conventional aspect ratio and with a slightly smaller 32-inch screen. The display is said to hit 98 percent of the DCI-P3 color gamut, with peak brightness of 600 nits, and support a second 4K monitor through daisy-chaining.

LG will also present a Quad HD (2,560-by-1,440) gaming monitor, the 34GK950G, but there are no images of the device and its only other announced features include Nano IPS and Nvidia's G-Sync technology.

Pricing and release dates all three monitors will presumably be announced at CES.

There are relatively few Thunderbolt 3 monitors on the market. LG's flagship product in this area is the UltraFine 5K.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    I hope I never see one of these beauties in person!   Not sure I could contain the desire to own one!  (as a basic home user that is....).

Cheers!
    JWSCwatto_cobramavemufc
  • Reply 2 of 15
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Hopefully they're far better quality than the POS 5K displays they have out now with Thunderbolt 3. 
    wlymwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    So can I put this one next to a router?
    edited December 2017 kirkgrayBubbleliciouswatto_cobrapkissel
  • Reply 4 of 15
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Rayz2016 said:
    So can I put this one next to a router?
    🤣 I hope they learned their lesson on that one.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    I hope I never see one of these beauties in person!   Not sure I could contain the desire to own one!
    I WANT !!!!

I wonder if Apple plans on introducing an Apple branded ultra wide screen like this.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I have the original LG Ultrawide 34” and it’s great! 5K would be amazing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    JWSC said:
    I hope I never see one of these beauties in person!   Not sure I could contain the desire to own one!
    I WANT !!!!

I wonder if Apple plans on introducing an Apple branded ultra wide screen like this.
    If Apple was going to go this route I'd think the iMac Pro would be an ideal place for it. You get more room for internal components and you get a much larger display that is ideal for the pro apps for which it would be used. Maybe they did consider it but that the panel was good enough for their needs at this time.

This is 163.44 PPI (if exactly 34") and the 27" Retina iMac is 217.57 PPI (5120×2880). For this to be at least the same PPI as the 27" iMac the resolution would have to be closer to 6790×2910 (217.27 PPI), which increases the number of pixels considerably:

• LG 34" 21:9 (34WK95U) = 5120×2160 = 11,059,200 px (75%)
    • 27" iMac = 5120×2880 = 14,745,600 px (100%)
    • Theoretical 34" iMac = 6790×2910 = 19,758,900 px (134%)

edited December 2017 watto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Seriously, LG has amazing display tech and all, but do their monitors have to look that fugly? Why not just make Apple-branded Thunderbolt display with LG display tech?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    5,120-by-2,160 is not 5K
  • Reply 10 of 15
    flydog said:
    5,120-by-2,160 is not 5K
    Sure it is. 5,120 is just over 5000 and the 'K' in 5K is a refer to kilo via French from the Greek word khilioi meaning 'thousand’. While it's not the most common reference to 5K because 21:9 isn't as common as 16:9, the term is only a reference to the one axis.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    JWSC said:
    I WANT !!!!

Isn't Apple releasing a Thunderbolt Display with the new Mac Pro next year?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    JWSC said:
    I WANT !!!!

Isn't Apple releasing a Thunderbolt Display with the new Mac Pro next year?
    That is the plan, apparently. 
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Have they fixed the issues of previous Thunderbolt 3 displays for Mac?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Maxter said:
    Have they fixed the issues of previous Thunderbolt 3 displays for Mac?
    I believe they only started shipping updated, EM-shielded versions of those models rather than actually fixing anything for people who already owned them.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    JWSC said:
    I WANT !!!!

I would love that, been wondering for years but at this stage they'd be entering the market thats already ridiculous.