Apple apologizes for iPhone slowdown controversy, will reduce out-of-warranty battery repl...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 233
    This is an appropriate response.  They admit they messed up when communicating the problem.  And, are offering a battery discount and battery monitoring software so we can identify if our phone is experiencing a problem.

I’ll wait until the last minute to take advantage of the battery replacement, because I’m not currently experiencing any problems on my 6s.

I don’t plan on replacing the 6s until it no longer gets OS updates, so this works well for me.
    edited December 2017 watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 22 of 233
    VRing said:
    They're only doing this after they got caught, and it still doesn't help users that already changed devices.
    So ,what are you going to do about it? They did previously also inform you in the settings app.They also announced the changes when they released iOS 10.2.1 (Jan 2017) Apple has come out on top here.
    edited December 2017 cornchipStrangeDaysequality72521watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 233
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    This won’t stop the lawsuits.  
    ZooMigo
  • Reply 24 of 233
    It’s a Festivus Miracle! (albeit five days late)
    dasanman69zeus423
  • Reply 25 of 233
    People: "Apple, you're slowing down my phone without telling me!"

HTC and Motorola: "We don't slow down our phones!"

Apple: "We slow down our phones so they don't shut down while you're trying to call 911, but since that bothers some of you we'll give everyone a 60% discount on a new battery and the ability to see your battery's health."

People: "Thank you, Apple. That's why we love you."

HTC and Motorola: "Oh. Crap."
    cornchiph2pzeus423pscooter63equality72521maxitwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 26 of 233
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Well, cool. Now I can get the battery replaced on my daughter's phone for $30!

cornchipequality72521watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 233
    zroger73 said:
    People: "Apple, you're slowing down my phone without telling me!"

HTC and Motorola: "We don't slow down our phones!"

Apple: "We slow down our phones so they don't shut down while you're trying to call 911, but since that bothers some of you we'll give everyone a 60% discount on a new battery and the ability to see your battery's health."

People: "Thank you, Apple. That's why we love you."

HTC and Motorola: "Oh. Crap."
    You mean “Oh. Crap.” now we’ll need to add battery monitoring to our phones that everyone should have had anyways.

Some Good has come out of this...
    cornchipdasanman69watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 28 of 233
    k2kw said:
    ... although it would be better if this price was permanent.
    Agreed... Apple battery replacement pricing has always been a bag of hurt.. I get that they want good profit on everything, and that’s a sound business strategy I guess, but batteries? Couldn’t batteries be an exception? Or at least they could include one heavily discounted battery replacement for every machine, once the battery starts to wear out.
  • Reply 29 of 233
    palegolas said:
    k2kw said:
    Agreed... Apple battery replacement pricing has always been a bag of hurt.. I get that they want good profit on everything, and that’s a sound business strategy I guess, but batteries? Couldn’t batteries be an exception? Or at least they could include one heavily discounted battery replacement for every machine, once the battery starts to wear out.
    So I guess Dodge should give me a one time replacement of brakes, wipers, clutch plates, batteries, and everything else that's a wearable item on my car? Its a fucking wearable item! Why does Apple need to give anyone a onetime exception to replace a battery on an older phone with a lets say it together...wearable item? 
    racerhomie3StrangeDaysJinTechwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 30 of 233
    YoSamCapsFanYoSamCapsFan Posts: 9unconfirmed, member
    VRing said:
    knowitall said:
    Reminds me of ‘VW defeat device scandal’.
    The end result was a performance loss and a certain amount of money back.

Both Apple and VW only acted after getting caught. If not they would have both continued without the consumer's knowledge.
    Bullsh*t apples and oranges. VW's scheme was designed to evade the law. Apple's was designed to make its phones more reliable. They should have been more open about it but that doesn't change the basic difference in motive. And good on Apple to be more open now and to make battery replacement a reasonable cost.
    badmonksennencornchipStrangeDaysracerhomie3williamlondonwatto_cobrabrucemcjony0
  • Reply 31 of 233
    palegolas said:
    k2kw said:
    Apple’s original stance was “IPhone batteries last the life of the phone”. That’s how they justified making it enclosed, when everyone else was making them easily replaceable.
    h2pdasanman69retrogustomuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 32 of 233
    VRing said:
    They're only doing this after they got caught, and it still doesn't help users that already changed devices.
    Are you just here to troll? Seriously...You're just here to try and rub salt into every wound possible otherwise you never post. You have 71 posts of just Apple negativity. 
    edited December 2017 StrangeDaysh2pwilliamlondonequality72521maxitwatto_cobrabrucemcjony0
  • Reply 33 of 233
    eriamjh said:
    This won’t stop the lawsuits.  
    The lawsuits would have failed anyways.
    zroger73zeus423watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 233
    How does the saying go?  With great power comes great responsibility?  Apple's size and power forces them to do things that most other companies wouldn't, won't or can't do, even when it's not really an Apple issue or fault.  The Apple brand is such a huge click bait and lawsuit bait opportunity that someone out there is always ready to go after them for just about anything, knowing they'll get the clicks even if they "win" nothing from Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 233
    VRing said:
    knowitall said:
    Reminds me of ‘VW defeat device scandal’.
    The end result was a performance loss and a certain amount of money back.

Both Apple and VW only acted after getting caught. If not they would have both continued without the consumer's knowledge.
    Exactly how would they have told the consumer about this? The iOS release notes make reference to power management. Nobody reads the release notes. They could have gone into more detail as to how those power management features work, but nobody reads the release notes, and even if they did, it’s clear that wouldn’t help, as we see the popular reaction to the news about this power management feature is outrage over “planned obsolescence,” even though this feature is the exact opposite of planned obsolescence. Apple and every other manufacturer creates numerous system management features every time they release an OS update. There are the unread release notes, but no PR campaigns to alert consumers to every possible ramification of every tweak to the system. Clearly, if there were such PR campaigns, they would largely be ignored, and what isn’t ignored would be greatly misinterpreted or misunderstood, as is this power management feature, designed to actually help consumers hang onto old phones longer.
    StrangeDaysracerhomie3watto_cobrabrucemcjony0
  • Reply 36 of 233
    One thing I haven't seen anyone address - as far as I know, shutdown issues were never a problem with previous iPhones, so what was it about the 6 and especially the 6S batteries that made this happen?
    cornchipmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 37 of 233
    One thing I haven't seen anyone address - as far as I know, shutdown issues were never a problem with previous iPhones, so what was it about the 6 and especially the 6S batteries that made this happen?
    They moved to a high performance 64bit OS.
    racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 233
    The battery health report should have been in iOS 10.2.1 along side the throttling "feature".  Apple should have been up front about a known hardware defect they specifically identified as a primary cause of random shutdowns.  The secrecy is what fueled the conspiracy theories, particularly since there has been speculation of throttling for over a year and Apple didn't address it until it reached a critical mass.

The $29 battery replacement is a nice gesture that I expect I will take advantage of if my phone shows it is being throttled.  I was planning on doing it myself, but this will be just as cheap as the part from iFixit and I won't have to worry about breaking something in the process.
    CheeseFreeze
  • Reply 39 of 233
    Seems like a reasonable resolution for users experiencing slowdowns due to battery issues. Obviously, folks will have different opinions but Apple's reputation is based on user experience and clearly throttling performance, to preserve battery life, was degrading the overall user experience. I suspect some percentage of those who want their battery replaced will instead opt to upgrade. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 233
    lewchenko said:
    It was the right thing to do so well done Apple. Now let’s hope they make battery replacement easily accessible (ie no arguing with a genius guy who insists your battery is just fine even if you suspect otherwise).

lets also hope this comms is widely reported by the media just like he problem has been. 

extra info in the iOS update will be welcomed to make informed choices (simply  - how many cycles has my battery been charged, how much has the capacity degraded , is my phone being throttled , and perhaps an estimate of how long till it needs a replacement). 
    Suspect? That is a really silly standard. You do not have any idea what’s wrong with your phone or the way you use it which may be problematic. Just because you are suspicious does not mean you are anywhere near being correct
    StrangeDaysracerhomie3watto_cobra