Chicago flagship Apple Retail store roof not well suited for snow, ice

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple's North Michigan Ave., Chicago retail store is having a problem with snow and ice falls off the roof, and has roped off areas of the surrounding court to protect shoppers.

According to a post made on Thursday by Chicago-local blog Spudart, the store was designed without the area's harsh winters in mind. There are no gutters to catch melting snow, and as such, is unsafe around the perimeter.

This isn't the first time that the store has caught the media's attention for design matters. In October, the store announced it was dimming the lights nightly during migration season after a watchdog agency cited the location for bird impacts.

The new store takes the place of an abandoned food court, and anchors one end of the North Michigan Avenue shopping district. Plans and architectural renderings filed by the Zeller Realty Group, in 2015 detail a 20,000-square-foot glass, steel and wood building.

The initial build cost was pegged at $62 million, about triple the cost of the Union Square, San Francisco location. However, documents filed just a few weeks later trimmed the cost down to $26.9 million, more in line with other Apple stand-alone locations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    WTF? How did they not factor in the fact that Chicago gets snow in the winter?
    applesnorangestrashman69king editor the gratestanhopedysamorianetrox
  • Reply 2 of 62
    This seems pretty normal to me, what’s the problem? If you live in a cold climate falling ice is something you have to deal with. 
    JFC_PA
  • Reply 3 of 62
    More lawsuits on the way...
    Rayz2016stanhope
  • Reply 4 of 62
    I wonder if they took into consideration the weight of ice and snow buildup on flattop roofs. 
    SpamSandwichkirkgraydysamoria
  • Reply 5 of 62
    LukeCage said:
    This seems pretty normal to me, what’s the problem? If you live in a cold climate falling ice is something you have to deal with. 
    So other stores in Chicago have similar signs? That’s interesting because I live in Minnesota and no retail stores I go to caution me to watch for falling snow or ice.
    GeorgeBMactechprod1gykirkgraytyler82dysamoria
  • Reply 6 of 62
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    Snow and ice in Chicago? Who would have thunk? Must be the same architects who designed inflatable roof sports stadiums for Minneapolis, MN and Syracuse, NY, two of the snowiest cities in North America. Oh well, it’s not the last time form won out over function. Some of Frank Lloyd Wright's masterful designs are thoroughly impractical and environmental/maintenance disasters. But damn, don’t they look nice!
    GeorgeBMactokyojimuSpamSandwichkirkgraytyler82dysamorianetrox
  • Reply 7 of 62
    I'm sure it can be resolved. :)

h2p
  • Reply 8 of 62
    I live in the area and these signs are very common this time of year along Michigan Avenue, effectively blocking off half the sidewalk around skyscrapers in some cases. Not excusing any architectural issues that they should’ve anticipated, but this is not out of the ordinary.
    edited December 2017 techprod1gyh2pdysamoriajony0
  • Reply 9 of 62
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I hope that flat roof can withstand a prolonged heavy wet snow or an ice storm.
    edited December 2017 dysamoria
  • Reply 10 of 62
    LukeCage said:
    So other stores in Chicago have similar signs? That’s interesting because I live in Minnesota and no retail stores I go to caution me to watch for falling snow or ice.
    If you're ever in Chicago during the winter months, walk down Michigan Ave. These signs are everywhere. Long ago, someone got killed from falling ice from a skyscraper, so these started popping up and down the street. This is not news.
    StrangeDayskpomwlym2old4funtechprod1gySpanading_returnsLukeCagedysamoriajony0
  • Reply 11 of 62
    LukeCage said:
    Yup. Walking around Chicago, especially downtown, near any tall buildings these signs are commonplace. 
    SoliStrangeDaysh2pdysamoria
  • Reply 12 of 62
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    For people who think that Apple had nefarious intent with the battery / CPU slow-down situation, I suggest you read this story and then consider the possibility that sometimes Apple can just be kind of insular and dumb. 
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 13 of 62
    jbam88 said:
    LukeCage said:
    Yup. Walking around Chicago, especially downtown, near any tall buildings these signs are commonplace. 
    Ah. Learn something new every day.
  • Reply 14 of 62
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Way back in the day, I worked at a government training facility with a geodesic dome. One of the largest in the world at the time, situated in scenic upstate New York.

Anyway, the lake effect snow was a bitch. As a result, we had the same ropes and whatnot signifying the "crash zone" for what was called the "digalanches" off the side of the dome. Those were loud, powerful, and I have no doubt could kill a guy just from the impact.

That said, I wonder how much weight a snowpack on the mostly flat Chicago store roof is going to have. I guess time will tell. 
    h2p
  • Reply 15 of 62
    Way back in the day, I worked at a government training facility with a geodesic dome. One of the largest in the world at the time, situated in scenic upstate New York.

Anyway, the lake effect snow was a bitch. As a result, we had the same ropes and whatnot signifying the "crash zone" for what was called the "digalanches" off the side of the dome. Those were loud, powerful, and I have no doubt could kill a guy just from the impact.

That said, I wonder how much weight a snowpack on the mostly flat Chicago store roof is going to have. I guess time will tell. 
    Interesting Mike...reminds me of MPLS when the Metro-dome partially collapsed from 'snow!' Huh? :)

Best
  • Reply 16 of 62
    . . . lucky it didn’t cut your eye!  Those icicles have been known to kill people.
    edited December 2017 kpom
  • Reply 17 of 62
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    They'll probably put some bumpers on the roof to direct towards the back of the building. 
    tokyojimu
  • Reply 18 of 62
    dsddsd Posts: 186member
    Apple's North Michigan Ave., Chicago retail store - Designed in California
    GeorgeBMacking editor the grate
  • Reply 19 of 62
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    More lawsuits on the way...
    Probably...I'm sure there will be someone wanting a free replacement for something out of this. Apple has over $250 Billion and everyone thinks they deserve a piece of it one way or another. 
    lkrupp
  • Reply 20 of 62
    If I was an architect, I would install heating element for the de-icing (Radiant Heat Film would work best for Apple's roof) and an inner lip to collect dripping water. Problem solved.  :)
    douglas baileychristopher126GeorgeBMacSpamSandwichmaclvr03