Criminal lawsuit over iPhone battery slowdowns filed in France, where planned obsolescence...

12346»

Comments

• Reply 102 of 108
    r2d2r2d2 Posts: 95member
    From Apple:

“With the update, iOS dynamically manages the maximum performance of some system components when needed to prevent a shutdown. While these changes may go unnoticed, in some cases users may experience longer launch times for apps and other reductions in performance.”

Edit to add:

“In cases that require more extreme forms of this power management, the user may notice effects such as:
    • Longer app launch times
    • Lower frame rates while scrolling
    • Backlight dimming (which can be overridden in Control Center)
    • Lower speaker volume by up to -3dB
    • Gradual frame rate reductions in some apps
    • During the most extreme cases, the camera flash will be disabled as visible in the camera UI
    • Apps refreshing in background may require reloading upon launch”

So, everyone saying it’s only a momentary reduction in performance were wrong as per Apple themselves.
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 103 of 108
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    r2d2 said:
    From Apple:

“With the update, iOS dynamically manages the maximum performance of some system components when needed to prevent a shutdown. While these changes may go unnoticed, in some cases users may experience longer launch times for apps and other reductions in performance.”

Edit to add:

“In cases that require more extreme forms of this power management, the user may notice effects such as:
    • Longer app launch times
    • Lower frame rates while scrolling
    • Backlight dimming (which can be overridden in Control Center)
    • Lower speaker volume by up to -3dB
    • Gradual frame rate reductions in some apps
    • During the most extreme cases, the camera flash will be disabled as visible in the camera UI
    • Apps refreshing in background may require reloading upon launch”

So, everyone saying it’s only a momentary reduction in performance were wrong as per Apple themselves.
    Basically, you can't read, yup I noticed that. Now, go away.
    Soli
  • Reply 104 of 108
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Maxter said:
    Planned obsolescence should be illegal everywhere!
    +100! That was exactly the same thing I came here to say! (and look at all the corporate bootlickers defending the "right to [insert corporate abuse here]")
  • Reply 105 of 108
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    dysamoria said:
    Maxter said:
    Planned obsolescence should be illegal everywhere!
    +100! That was exactly the same thing I came here to say! (and look at all the corporate bootlickers defending the "right to [insert corporate abuse here]")
    Your comment is so ignorant that it's most stupid thing I've ever read on the internet.
  • Reply 106 of 108
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    A software tactic to address a failing battery isn’t “ planned obselescence”. While not making the notification more obvious was a mistake. 
  • Reply 107 of 108
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    First: This is NOT planned obsolescence it is Apple ensuring that phones continue to work as the battery wears down. They are trying their best to keep your device working which leads me to...

Second: By ensuring that the phone works for longer they are reducing the waste not adding to it.

You can spin all the negative you want at this but you’re  a complete tool if you do. Could Apple have handled this different with notifications? No because these same Negative Nellies will still complain about Apple slowing down their iPhone. Apple can’t win because for some retarded reason people want Apple to fail.
    I disagree. More prominent notification, with or without a permission button, would have negated the “it was a secret conspiracy” as is now being touted. 

As has been mentioned, it was in the release notes so it wasn’t a “secret”, but it wasn’t sufficiently noted for the individual devices where it came into play due to the battery declining past the set point. 

I expect that to be ine if one of the changes in the coming patch. 

As to slowing down with iOS upgrades? Most all I blame on lagging app developers slow in adjusting their code to the new operating system. I’ve many a mental scar from desktop OS upgrades really doing a number on application software performance. And when that software was running attached research equipment and the software arrived on a disk..... Let’s just say I had some really old OS running on airgapped machines due to developers not bothering. 
  • Reply 108 of 108
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch Series 2 should be on the list.