Hoping to capitalize on Apple battery controversy, HTC and Motorola volunteer that they do...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    It has nothing to do with old batteries. I have a new replacement 5s due to my old one having a failed battery. This new phone was plenty fast under iOS 10... then iOS 11 came out shortly after I got the new phone. iOS 11 made it run S-L-O-W-L-Y. It seems Apple's solution to having shipped phones with defective batteries is to replace them with equally defective batteries, and throttle the phone's performance in an attempt to avoid new battery failures. Pretty lame.
    No, you just have a complete misunderstanding of how computing works. Your phone is old. Old hardware runs new software more slowly. Why? Because it's old and less capable. Ever use an old computer before? Same thing.

Why this is a challenging concept is beyond my ability to comprehend.
    netmageradarthekatRonnnieOgilly33chiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 52
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Some phone manufacturers do muck around with performance but don't tell. Others don't care like my "S" android phone which during higher performance demand; just freezes needing to reboot. So, every phone manufacturers have different way of dealing degrading battery performance.
    netmageradarthekatchia
  • Reply 23 of 52
    Yeah with the knockoffs there's no need to extend the life of the handset -- they just stop providing updates in short order. How many stories have we seen on "Knockoff Brand XX No Longer Receiving Android Updates"?
    radarthekatchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 52
    gatorguy said:
    While only a single data point my wife's 2014 Moto X is still her daily device. The battery has obviously seen better days but AFAIK she doesn't suffer "random shutdowns".
    How many OS upgrades has she gone through? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 52
    It has nothing to do with old batteries. I have a new replacement 5s due to my old one having a failed battery. This new phone was plenty fast under iOS 10... then iOS 11 came out shortly after I got the new phone. iOS 11 made it run S-L-O-W-L-Y. It seems Apple's solution to having shipped phones with defective batteries is to replace them with equally defective batteries, and throttle the phone's performance in an attempt to avoid new battery failures. Pretty lame.
    The 5s is never throttled.  They only throttle the iPhone 6 and later.  Although apps built for the new OS assume a faster processor and it may appear to run more slowly.  I've noticed a lot of the machine learning tech takes a large toll on older phones.  Smart phones are also advancing a lot faster then computers right now.  A three year old phone is like a 6 year old computer.
    edited December 2017 gilly33watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 52
    Like I said,,,,wwweeee weeeeeee weeeeee.....if you’re an iphone guy and still using 5S? Sorry to hear that.... Go get an Android like HTC and Motonovo.
    gilly33watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 52
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    gatorguy said:
    While only a single data point my wife's 2014 Moto X is still her daily device. The battery has obviously seen better days but AFAIK she doesn't suffer "random shutdowns".
    How many OS upgrades has she gone through? 
    Two at least. There might have been one other but uncertain. 

EDIT: I want to apologize about claiming my wife's phone (my old one) is a Moto X from 2014. It is not. It's from 2013. And after checking it did receive 3 OS updates, currently on Android 5.1 which she's happy with. 
    edited December 2017 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 52
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member
    tifosi01 said:
    What bothers me is that if the slow down was due to battery degradation then why isn’t there a way to see when the battery should be replaced? I would still be using my iPhone 6 Plus if I’d have known the battery was causing my phone to become sluggish and painfully slow in certain situtations. If the software knew the battery was dying and throttled performance to maintain battery life then why could it not notify me to get the battery replaced?

Instead I assumed iOS 11 updates had slowed it down and shortly after that my battery started only holding a charge for a few hours so I replaced it with an 8 Plus. After reading about this software throttling being linked to dying batteries I ordered a replacement and my 6 Plus was reborn! I use to get a ton of lag typing messages or switching apps. As soon as the battery was changed it preformed nearly as smoothly as my 8 Plus. Infact I gifted it to my girlfriend’s mother as it was better than the cheap android she had. 

So I have no issue with Apple trying to conserve a dying battery by slowing down my phone but tell me that’s why and let me get it fixed! Don’t stay silent and let people assume they need a new phone or that Apple is trying to force people to upgrade. 
    It does inform you in the Battery section of Settings. If there was no warning, your phone just needed a restore from backup after updating to iOS 11.
    Where in the Battery section does it tell you the health of your battery? I don't see it. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 52
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    We don't slow down your phones. We also don't give you timely updates or support your phones after two years. 
    gilly33chiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 52
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 403member
    could it hurt to actually think before making a fool of oneself?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 52
    They don’t throttle. They game benchmarks to make their phones appear faster than they really are. If there should be a lawsuit for false and misleading advertisement inducing customers to buy sub-standard phones, they would be the targets. 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/7384/state-of-cheating-in-android-benchmarks
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 52
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    My phone did. And it was slow. And it did not get ANY updates.
    Odd if you had a 2014 Moto X that you didn't get "any updates". It prompted you to do so. How do I know? Because her phone is my old one and I rece'd at least two OS updates while I had it. As for "slow" my wife has not been complaining, but like most folks (probably IMHO) she uses it for Facebook, email, looking up recipes and such, occasional phone calls, messaging, a casual game here and there... None of that is particularly stressing. 
    So how many full is updates are you claiming would have been pushed to the Moto X
  • Reply 33 of 52
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    Bebe said:
    I had a feeling that sooner or later other manufacturers will capitalize on this debacle.  It didn't take long, LOL
    From the article:

"Both companies responded to requests from The Verge..."

• Reply 34 of 52
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    So they just let the ones with failing batteries randomly crash. Horst enough admission. 

Me? I’d prefer the Apple prevention approach. Though it will be improved once they add notification out on the home page or notifications list on the lock page as seems likely in the update. 
    edited December 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 52
    cpsro said:
    They can't slow down based on battery age, because they have no idea how old the battery is. And why would they slow down an already slow processor? Just let the phone spontaneously crash, until the owner is informed (if ever) that a new battery (or a new phone!) will fix it.
    That was my experience the phone started crashing more often. It’s because of that issue and at the time Motorola stating publicly that to get a newer version of Android I had to upgrade a barely 2 year old device that I switched to Apple and haven’t looked back since. These lawsuits are ridiculous. If the older phones crash then Apple would be faulted for having bad devices or not caring, or allowing phones to crash in an effort to force new ones on customers. That these kind of bullshit lawsuits get any traction is a testimony to how messed up the system is. So a company should stifle innovation software wise in order to please people with old devices? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 52
    Batteries get old? Imagine that. An old battery can make a device quit, shut off or work slower? Who knew? Whoever thinks that your device needs to be replaced because the battery failed must be replacing their cars every time the battery dies. Buy a new battery, they get old and stop working just like every other device that requires batteries. Are people making a big fuss when their car battery, flashlight, watch, drone etc dies due to an aging battery?
    Spoken like a true warrior who has common sense. Thanks for your comment. This is the society we live in today. Morons who think phones are ‘almighty’ things that should have no issues with degrading batteries. Want to have their cake and eat it too. Yeah we should all get together and sue the flashlight makers they’ve been screwing us for years. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 52
    gilly33 said:
    cpsro said:
    They can't slow down based on battery age, because they have no idea how old the battery is. And why would they slow down an already slow processor? Just let the phone spontaneously crash, until the owner is informed (if ever) that a new battery (or a new phone!) will fix it.
    That was my experience the phone started crashing more often. It’s because of that issue and at the time Motorola stating publicly that to get a newer version of Android I had to upgrade a barely 2 year old device that I switched to Apple and haven’t looked back since. These lawsuits are ridiculous. If the older phones crash then Apple would be faulted for having bad devices or not caring, or allowing phones to crash in an effort to force new ones on customers. That these kind of bullshit lawsuits get any traction is a testimony to how messed up the system is. So a company should stifle innovation software wise in order to please people with old devices? 
    In Android world, Motorola phones get the software updates for the longest possible time, next to Google's Nexus/Pixel phones. Which Motorola phone are you talking about? I am using Motorola phones for my family for the last 4 years, without ANY issues.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    genovelle said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    My phone did. And it was slow. And it did not get ANY updates.
    Odd if you had a 2014 Moto X that you didn't get "any updates". It prompted you to do so. How do I know? Because her phone is my old one and I rece'd at least two OS updates while I had it. As for "slow" my wife has not been complaining, but like most folks (probably IMHO) she uses it for Facebook, email, looking up recipes and such, occasional phone calls, messaging, a casual game here and there... None of that is particularly stressing. 
    So how many full is updates are you claiming would have been pushed to the Moto X
    He already mentioned that in this thread - 3 major software updates. Launched with Jellybean 4.2, upgraded to Jellybean 4.3, Kitkat 4.4, Lollypop 5.1. Motorola phones usually get software updates for 2 years. That Moto X was an exception to get software updates for 3 years since Motorola was under Google when Moto X was launched.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    JFC_PA said:
    So they just let the ones with failing batteries randomly crash. Horst enough admission. 

Me? I’d prefer the Apple prevention approach. Though it will be improved once they add notification out on the home page or notifications list on the lock page as seems likely in the update. 

So they just let the ones with failing batteries randomly crash. Horst enough admission. - Any sources to prove that this is a widespread problem in Android world??? Are you just making things up? As far as I know, this is NOT a widespread problem in Android world.
  • Reply 40 of 52
    I bought a Moto E to see how well a cheap phone could perform. It was quite good on kitkat but the lollipop update made it virtually unusableand it now sits in a drawer. I also got a HTC M8S which is still on a 2016 security update and will only give about 3 hours of on screen usage. Give me Apples solution any day. 
    watto_cobra