AppleInsider podcast covers iPhone X supply chain rumors, Alexa atop the App Store, Apple'...

Posted:
in General Discussion
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Victor talks about the iPhone battery debacle, supply chain orders for iPhone X, and has an interview with synthesizer musician Suzanne Ciani.

AppleInsider editor Victor Marks discusses:
  • Deals: Adorama this week has Apple's Late 2016 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar in Space Gray (part # MLH12LL/A) for $1,299.00 with $500 off coupon code APINSIDER. This is the absolute lowest entry price into a Touch Bar MacBook Pro with other retailers selling the same system for $300 more.
  • Apple rumored to cut orders on iPhone X. Conversely, Rosenblatt Securities thinks this is wrong, iPhone 8 / 8 Plus orders are being cut, iPhone X is adding sales in China.
  • Amazon Alexa tops the App Store charts in the US. Victor relates what it's like to set up Amazon Echo Dot outside the US, and how a $29 dollar speaker competes with the concept of a $350 HomePod.
  • Apple to release the source code of the Lisa operating system and launch applications to the Computer History Museum. This is one that matters for archival and educational purposes.
  • Apple's battery nightmare. Apple has issued a note calling it a 'misunderstanding', reducing price for replacement to $29, and promising to update the OS to let users know their battery status. Victor isn't at all sure this solves the experience problem of being confronted with a warning that your battery is bad immediately after an OS update.
  • Qualcomm, Apple, and Apple's exploration into using MediaTek's baseband radios.
  • Mike's Pixelmator Pro review, now with more Machine Learning
  • Apple's plans for dividends, stock buybacks, and repatriation.
  • Suzanne Ciani, one of the best synthesizer artists in the world, talks about her experiences with computers in music, Mac, iPad, and more.
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.

Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:

Show note links: Follow our host on Twitter: @vmarks.

Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Apple has inadvertently hurt itself. Trying to help can hurt yourself. Lesson learned. Let customer replace battery when they feel the performance(frequent charge per day) is not as good due to battery ability to keep up. Let IOS warn user about battery issue and let iphone continue working(freeze,shutdown,less responsive,etc) like that.
    If Apple didn't slow down older iPhone to avoid old battery created less accepted performance of iPhone which persuade customers to upgrade than Apple could have sold more iphones even that was not there intention. Apple, learn from Chinese and Korean phone manufacturers. Never admit publicly any fault to your products or accept any fault until like battery explodes in your face.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    Waiting until the battery explodes isn't the right answer either.

What if instead, when they introduced the feature that throttles the CPU to keep it alive in iOS10, they had put up a pop up saying, "your battery doesn't hold as much charge as it did when it was new. You now have 76% (or whatever). Tap to set up an appointment to get your battery serviced. If you don't, your phone may perform slower because the battery doesn't have enough power."

All of this would have been averted.

They should have tried to avoid the hidden slowdown (it didn't occur to them that it was hidden information) and they should have tried to avoid the impression of "the new OS has made my phone slow." An informational popup saying "service your battery" after updating is also potentially awkward. 

That is, none of these experiences are great, but they're better than Apple causing mistrust.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Weird listening to just Victor but another good episode, hopefully Neil is back next week.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    mavemufc said:
    Weird listening to just Victor but another good episode, hopefully Neil is back next week.
    Thanks for this, it was an especially difficult episode to get out - we've never before had an episode where one half of the audio simply recorded silence for an hour with no way to recover it. 
    I want Neil back, too.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I agree that Apple should have informed users about slowing down iPhones. They made a mistake and they are taking steps to make it right.

However, I’ve been listening to this podcast for a while and it seems lately that every podcast has been really negative towards Apple.  Victor made the comment in this podcast that there are no answers to the battery debacle and what they are doing now isn’t good enough.  He focuses on what Apple should have done.  Yes they should have informed users from the beginning but that time has come and gone.  What about some ideas as to what they could do now? The way the topic was left was really negative and it felt hopeless in a way.

In the previous weeks podcasts both Neil and Victor rip on Apple about software bugs. Yes there were some major and minor software bugs and Apple should be held accountable for these but how about balancing this out with something you like about the iOS experience?

I’m excited about technology and I’m excited about Apple but lately this podcast has been depressingly negative and unfortunately it has left me feeling down and hopeless about Apple.   How about some excitement towards what is working well and what you like to balance out the negative?

matrix077
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    bfulroth said:
    I agree that Apple should have informed users about slowing down iPhones. They made a mistake and they are taking steps to make it right.

However, I’ve been listening to this podcast for a while and it seems lately that every podcast has been really negative towards Apple.  Victor made the comment in this podcast that there are no answers to the battery debacle and what they are doing now isn’t good enough.  He focuses on what Apple should have done.  Yes they should have informed users from the beginning but that time has come and gone.  What about some ideas as to what they could do now? The way the topic was left was really negative and it felt hopeless in a way.

In the previous weeks podcasts both Neil and Victor rip on Apple about software bugs. Yes there were some major and minor software bugs and Apple should be held accountable for these but how about balancing this out with something you like about the iOS experience?

I’m excited about technology and I’m excited about Apple but lately this podcast has been depressingly negative and unfortunately it has left me feeling down and hopeless about Apple.   How about some excitement towards what is working well and what you like to balance out the negative?

We're not Apple's PR wing. When Apple is riding high, we're there with them. When the user base has problems with what's going on, we're there for that too.

It's been a rough few weeks. It'll turn around, in time.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

vmarks said:
    mavemufc said:
    Thanks for this, it was an especially difficult episode to get out - we've never before had an episode where one half of the audio simply recorded silence for an hour with no way to recover it. 
    I want Neil back, too.
    You know, I can read this. Thanks, man :D
  • Reply 8 of 11
    bfulroth said:

My concern is that if Apple is able to coast on being the best of a bad bunch that it leaves them very open to being replaced. I want a strong Apple, one that does better, delivers more. Remember, at one time, Microsoft seemed unstoppable. I criticize Apple now, not to depress, but because if everyone looks the other way, or excuses them ("they've got piles of cash to burn, clearly they can do no wrong!") it leaves them open to losing dominance. They can't allow themselves to lose their edge.

iOS has been great for 10 years. They're the only mobile platform that is safe for secure travel - I can restore an iPhone to a known secure state by putting it in DFU mode, connecting to a computer and restoring the OS. I can't do that on Android. I've been using Android Oreo for a week. It's not bad. I can see why people who use Android full-time can't 'get' iOS. I'm not leaving iOS - iMessage is a big hook (I have weMessage running on Android so I can send and receive iMessages there, but it's a bad hack) and ApplePay is a huge thing for me as well. My bank doesn't support Android Pay / Google Wallet. iCloud still has some rough edges, especially for people with 16GB phones, and that poses a real problem for me - if using Google Photos or Prime Photos is the better way to backup and have a family photo vault, that also represents a weakness for Apple. 

I apologize for bringing you down. Apple does some wonderful things. I really liked the iPhone 8 plus when I had it. I will probably get an X or the 2018 version of it. I am concerned about the many issues we've seen this year, that we haven't seen in previous years, and I am concerned about their efforts on catch-up for HomeKit. I am VERY pleased with their position on health and wellness. 
  • Reply 9 of 11

vmarks said:
    mavemufc said:
    I want Neil back, too.
    You know, I can read this. Thanks, man :D
     <3  B)
  • Reply 10 of 11
    vmarks said:
     if using Google Photos or Prime Photos is the better way to backup and have a family photo vault, that also represents a weakness for Apple. 
    And that is what I don't understand about Apple. Why giving a clear advantage to your competitors? It's not like they're broke & have to nickel & dime everything. If I'm not allergic to Google I would use Google Photos by now. Not because it's better but because it's free.
    If Apple is all about user experience, they should know having their users on 16 GB. phone, or 64 even, worrying about storage is not a way to have better user experience than their competitors. If they don't know that then well...

Many times Apple has been too arrogant for their own good. This battery fiasco is one of the example. Just put the support papers up on their website somewhere & the whole thing will never been blown out of proportion.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I was re listening to this this week.   This time I caught that the iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X have intel modem.  My ATT 8Plus misses calls all the time . my SE didn’t. I am so pissed as Apple. It’s not like the made the Plus cheaper.   My Verizon 7 Plus is great.  considering switching to Samsung now .  Apple is making too many “used car salesmen moves” Bean counter is slowly lowering quality.